Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,314 members, 7,811,934 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty (19940 Views)

"Abacha Buried 500 Human Heads In Aso Rock; Yahaya Jameh Caused Buhari Illness" / Buhari’s Illness Delaying APC Convention – Governor Abdulaziz Yari / Buhari’s Illness Worsens, Will No Longer Return To Nigeria Soon, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by dre11(m): 6:04am On Jul 02, 2017
Olalekan Adetayo and Adelani Adepegba

The medical vacation of President Muhammadu Buhari has prevented no less than 10 foreign ambassadors from resuming duties at their respective embassies in the country.

Findings by SUNDAY PUNCH on Saturday indicated that the envoys had been unable to present their letters of credence at the Presidential Villa due to the absence of the President , who has been out of the country for about two months.

However, a government official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the matter, told one of our correspondents that the Acting President is available to take up any assignment on behalf of the President.

“ I am not aware of any ambassador not being able to start work. The Acting President is available to take on any assignment on behalf of Mr. President, ” he said.

However, Sunday PUNCH gathered that the ambassadors -designate affected include those of the Republic of Bangladesh, Egypt, Vietnam, Republic of Benin; Mexico ; Greece ; Togo and Thailand. It was gathered that their letters of credence were specifically addressed to Buhari hence the inability of the ambassadors -designate to present them to Acting President Yemi Osinbajo.

The letter of credence is the instrument by which a head of state exercises his power to appoint ambassadors and ministers to other countries and it is signed by the sending head of state and is usually addressed to the receiving head of state.

The letter is handed over by the diplomatic representative at his first audience with the head of state.

Sources said that one of the envoys, the Egyptian Ambassador - designate to Nigeria, Mr. Assem Hanafi, had been unable to present his credential to Buhari since February 2017 when he came into the country.

It was gathered that his Mexican counterpart, Mr. Alejandro Elizondo, has also not been able to present his credential to Buhari several weeks after he arrived in the country.

It was learnt that the ambassadors - designate had not been given any appointment for the presentation of their credentials to the President on account of Buhari ’ s vacation in London.

Our correspondents learnt that the inability of the envoys to present their credentials had made it impossible for them to carry out their responsibilities.

A senior official in government confirmed the development but begged for anonymity. He said , “ The affected ambassadors -designate have been unable to perform their responsibilities since many of them arrived the country many weeks ago.

“ They cannot attend any official programme or speak on behalf of their countries. With their current status , they cannot even use the diplomatic pennant on their official cars because they are not full -fledged ambassadors yet ; they are literally stranded. ”

But the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, said he had directed the envoys to resume.

He, however, did not say when he gave the directive.

“ We have informed them, they may resume duty, ” the minister said in an SMS last night .

When confronted with the names of the affected envoys , a source in the Presidency urged our correspondents to cross check with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs if all the processes leading to the presentation of letters of credence to the President had been concluded in the cases of the ambassadors .

“ We all know that there are processes involved . It is only when you cross check with the ministry and discover that the processes have been completed that you can start looking at the direction of the Presidency as the possible cause of the delay.

“ As it stands , you may need to confirm this in the ministry first , ” he explained further.

Meanwhile , the Federal Government has deployed 45 non - career ambassadors-designate in their countries of accreditation.

They would , however, not resume until the countries of assignment send the letter of consent accepting their nomination.

The Permanent Secretary , Ministry of Foreign Affairs , Amb . Olusola Enikanolaiye, said the ambassadors -designate would soon resume at their respective countries of assignment once the necessary diplomatic and administrative processes were completed.

http://punchng.com/buharis-illness-prevents-10-envoys-from-assuming-duty/

lalasticlala
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by ipobarecriminals: 6:22am On Jul 02, 2017
sad
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by madridguy(m): 6:22am On Jul 02, 2017
Wishing Sai Baba speedy recovery.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by justmenoni: 6:23am On Jul 02, 2017
tongue
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by kutchs: 6:32am On Jul 02, 2017
Isn't this enough vindication of the call for Buhari to resign and hand over the full reins of power to Osinbajo? Why should one man hold a country of over 160 million people hold? It's stupid, it's silly and a further proof of Hegel's claim that the black is intellectually poor. You are no longer capable of doing a job you asked for, why not step aside and let a capable hand handle the job?

Ambassadors are representatives of the various govts in Nigeria and can't begin to perform their assignments until they present their letters of credence and accepted as such. The implication is that those heads of states whose countries enjoy full diplomatic relationship with Nigeria are not represented in Nigeria now.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by Caseless: 6:47am On Jul 02, 2017
So, the envoys are so dull to know we have somebody is in acting capacity with all constitutional power right? Those already here should also go back since buhari is not around cos it takes buhari for new ones to come.
Useless report!

10 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by ogologoamu: 6:54am On Jul 02, 2017
madridguy:
Wishing Sai Baba speedy recovery.

Contribute to the matter on ground, enough of this your speedy recovery. Can you tell Nigerians how many days Buhari have stayed outside the country since 2017, what of his medical bills and that of his jet parked idle in the UK, the oil he is looking for in the north how much has all these cost Nigeria?

Is Buhari not a liability to Nigeria?. All of you that are playing religion with the destiny of Nigeria will answer one day.

85 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by ogologoamu: 6:59am On Jul 02, 2017
Caseless:
So, the envoys are so dull to know we have somebody is in acting capacity with all constitutional power right? Those already here should also go back since buhari is not around cos it takes buhari for new ones to come.
Useless report!

Go back and read the post again. Their letters of credence was addresd to Buhari only and not to Osibanjo or the acting president.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by ogologoamu: 7:09am On Jul 02, 2017
kutchs:
Isn't this enough vindication of the call for Buhari to resign and hand over the full reins of power to Osinbajo? Why should one man hold a country of over 160 million people hold? It's stupid, it's silly and a further proof of Hegel's claim that the black is intellectually poor. You are no longer capable of doing a job you asked for, why not step aside and let a capable hand handle the job?

Ambassadors are representatives of the various govts in Nigeria and can't begin to perform their assignments until they present their letters of credence and accepted as such. The implication is that those heads of states whose countries enjoy full diplomatic relationship with Nigeria are not represented in Nigeria now.

Their problem is how a southern Christian will take over from them again. If Buhari is not completely incapacitated, let them visit him and upload the pics to the world as they did the last time he went for medicals in the UK. I thought that OUK and Aisha has visited him, let them show us the pics of such visitations. Nigeria is in the hands of cowards and backward thinkers.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by Ehiscotch(m): 7:22am On Jul 02, 2017
I would like to urge PMB to humbly resign if his health status should span another 30 days.

It has created a vacuum in governance for the easy spread of propaganda and false news . PYO is fit to continue and carry on the mandate.

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by Caseless: 8:09am On Jul 02, 2017
ogologoamu:

Go back and read the post again. Their letters of credence was addresd to Buhari only and not to Osibanjo or the acting president.

ok.
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by Papiikush: 9:28am On Jul 02, 2017
Buhari is a badluck to this country.

Such a pity that after 16 years of PDP's rule, this is the best APC could bring. Well, they better wait for 100 years once their time is done in Ado Rock.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by dlondonbadboy: 9:28am On Jul 02, 2017
I thought they said we have a president acting in stead of Buhari...I thought they said, osinbajo is the acting President? Lol

I pity the gullibility of the south.. Even osinbajo knows he ain't acting shiit.

Shame!

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 02, 2017
Why can't Ag. President do the needful?
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by masada: 9:29am On Jul 02, 2017
Except this envoys are being mischievous
We have an acting President who is in charge of the country
They are envoys to the sovereign country of Nigeria
Not to our sick president
Don't kno wat the fuss is all about
Except the said cabal are delaying decisions till the return of our incapacitated president

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by MrMcJay(m): 9:29am On Jul 02, 2017
Deleted*
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by BiafranYouths(m): 9:30am On Jul 02, 2017
I can use vegetables to cook edikan ikon soup grin

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by MrMcJay(m): 9:30am On Jul 02, 2017
Deleted*
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by hardywaltz(m): 9:30am On Jul 02, 2017
Baba come back home
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by MrMcJay(m): 9:31am On Jul 02, 2017
dre11:

The letter of credence is the instrument by which a head of state exercises his power to appoint ambassadors and ministers to other countries and it is signed by the sending head of state and is usually addressed to the receiving head of state.

The letter is handed over by the diplomatic representative at his first audience with the head of state.

But the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, said he had directed the envoys to resume.

Godfrey Onyeama is a political scientist and Cambridge-trained lawyer with a Masters in Law, but this funny directive is ridiculous.

Does he think a Letter of Credence is a love-letter or Watsapp message?

6 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by burkingx(f): 9:31am On Jul 02, 2017
grin

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by burkingx(f): 9:31am On Jul 02, 2017
sad
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by Bari22: 9:32am On Jul 02, 2017
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by POpikin: 9:32am On Jul 02, 2017
burkingx:
grin

Rip to him
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by Omeokachie: 9:33am On Jul 02, 2017
And they cant change the letters giving current realities?

Which kin mumu news be dis one na?

OK make dem continue to wait for Buhari to recover from his unknown illness to come collect letter from dem hand.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by Eportal123: 9:33am On Jul 02, 2017
Sai baba.

May God punish your corpse where ever it is being embalmed!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by deepwater(f): 9:34am On Jul 02, 2017
This dude needs to resign.
If his deputy cannot perform at full capacity in his absence he should resign completely without any further delay.

How can you continue to hold the rest of the nation to ransome. You are not the only sick person in the country.

This is a national shame, OMG

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by deebsman1(m): 9:39am On Jul 02, 2017
I love Buhari, I supported Buhari in 2015 and I pray for his speedy recovery. But my reservation right now is if baba ain't fit to continue in office, he should kuku and Jejely resigns. I think I now have an understanding of the wahala and the problems the cabals and their sponsors are having. All his are just ploy to stop PYO from becoming substantial president and even contest for an election 2019, another Jonathan/Yar Adua debacle playing right on our face. I wish baba safe recovery but how long can this continues. PYO becoming full president! Kai I have my reservations (mixed feeling - not elated about it and not sad about it too but tough)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by Obipat(m): 9:40am On Jul 02, 2017
Buhari is useless. I have not seen a president as useless as dullard.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by DonFreshmoney(m): 9:41am On Jul 02, 2017
How does this topic put food on my table this morning?? Me that am hungry, op is talking about Buhari illness
Re: Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty by Nutase: 9:43am On Jul 02, 2017
I smell lies. The letter is addressed to the president and can be received by the acting president. The presidency is bigger than any individual.
They should stop politicising Buhari's Ill health angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote Deep-sea Pipeline To Boost Nigeria’s Power Generation By 12,000mw / Tricycle Operators Protest Monthly Payment Of N15,000 Tax By Anambra Government / "We Are Igbos, But Denied Igbo Because Of Biafran War" Says Ikwerre Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.