Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,230 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law (23891 Views)

How Do You Deal With Spouses That Have Different Opinion About Family And Life? / How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? / How Do You Deal With A Husband That Keeps Malice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by 4Play(m): 4:27pm On Jan 31, 2010
What these retarded and naive women attacking mothers don't understand is that a man's treatment of his mother is a good indication of how he will treat his partner. Of course, you don't want a man who allows his mother mistreat his wife but some of the hate spewed towards mothers here is ridiculous.

These same narrow-minded vermins will one day be mothers in law. Shame on you ugly and bone-headed Naija women.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by goose1: 6:00pm On Jan 31, 2010
I have read most of the thread from the ladies in the house,many of them are against it,and are ready to do anything to frustrate the mama from the house.Now lets look at it this way,your are the only child of your parents (a girl).You got married and later in life your mother became diabetic,meaning she needs closer attention,especially with regards to her food.She came over to her place to get relief and possibly live longer for you.A month later, your husband told you she has to go,how would you feel knowing she has no where else to go and cant take good care of herself.
I think toom much of these good-for-nothing nollywood videos are decieving lots of our girls.Why do women treat their husbands folk harshily and wickedly?,its time ladies learn how to love in their married life.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by tbaba83(m): 6:12pm On Jan 31, 2010
see dis yeye people conspiring against  mama. na who build house?? The bond that a mother builds with her child causes her worry throughout her life. The spiritual umbilical cord is never severed. so why do u want to chase her away ehn. instead if opening up posts on how to convert mothers-in-laws to shopping buddies u are looking up schemes to evict her. the same thing u want to do to mama tou will recieve the rewards back in ambundance from ur kids galfriends. oloshi
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by bawomolo(m): 6:41pm On Jan 31, 2010
4 Play:

What these retarded and naive women attacking mothers don't understand is that a man's treatment of his mother is a good indication of how he will treat his partner. Of course, you don't want a man who allows his mother mistreat his wife but some of the hate spewed towards mothers here is ridiculous.

These same narrow-minded vermins will one day be mothers in law. Shame on you ugly and bone-headed Naija women.

i agree, some of them even went as far as using a MOVIE as evidence.

you ladies can be evil.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by sjeezy8: 6:42pm On Jan 31, 2010
look at all these ajes posting its just disgusting mehn

dayokanu:

My paternal grandma stayed with us for a while My dad was the only child and she had a very good relationship my mom. They were so close that my dad was actually jealous. As they would even collabo to hide things from him

thats how it should be
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jan 31, 2010
koolchicco:

Some Mother in-laws are very hard to deal with!

Watch this clip and see how. . . cool

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NzpmXELSD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"[/flash]

Ehrrrm wha da hell is this video supposed to prove?
So you're really  trying to say that you cant understand why the mother in-law feels insulted?

You're having a discussion with your son and his wife just comes in eating your son all up, interrupting the discussion without even greeting you?

Omo, na broom I go use chase his wife outta my presence. Nonsense and Ingredient.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by snowdrops(m): 7:34pm On Jan 31, 2010
4 Play:

tbaba83:

see dis yeye people conspiring against  mama. na who build house?? The bond that a mother builds with her child causes her worry throughout her life. The spiritual umbilical cord is never severed. so why do u want to chase her away ehn. instead if opening up posts on how to convert mothers-in-laws to shopping buddies u are looking up schemes to evict her. the same thing u want to do to mama tou will recieve the rewards back in ambundance from your kids galfriends. oloshi

Absolutely spot on
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by CILondon: 7:53pm On Jan 31, 2010
Ok for all you husbands defending the mother in law, look at it in another way.

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF YOUR WIFE'S FATHER (YOUR FATHER-IN-LAW) CAME TO LIVE WITH YOU AND YOUR WIFE IN YOUR HOUSE AND STARTED MAKING ALL THE DECISIONS THUS PREVENTING YOU FROM BEING THE MAN OF THE HOUSE?

Now what do you think about that? Ha!
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by tbaba83(m): 7:55pm On Jan 31, 2010
i will respect him and get out of his way. At least he cant dip his hand in my pocket and make decisions with my money
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 31, 2010
men would always be men.!these ladies dont know our mums represent MOTHER AFRICA!!!
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by bidell1(f): 7:57pm On Jan 31, 2010
Let me state categorically here that the problem is not with "Mothers in law", the problem is with WOMEN generally, why do wives complain that mothers in law are mean and wicked? why do wives  also complain that Men are tied to their Mothers' apron string, at the end of the day, these wives turn into Mothers and one day into Mothers in law and the circle continues, I think the nature of Women generally is the bottom line here, WOMEN WANT TO BE IN CONTROL all the time, of their children, husband, church, country, workplace and when they see another woman around, they become jealous, over-protective, competitive and disgruntled. GOD HELP YOU PEOPLE

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jan 31, 2010
these women dont want MAMA AFRICA to be around so they can boss their hen-pecked husbands around.Ride on MAMA AFRICA!!!stay 4 ten years if u wish!!!!
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by GL(f): 8:21pm On Jan 31, 2010
FL Gators:

So you're really  trying to say that you cant understand why the mother in-law feels insulted?

You're having a discussion with your son and his wife just comes in eating your son all up, interrupting the discussion without even greeting you?

Omo, na broom I go use chase his wife outta my presence. Nonsense and Ingredient.

i just watched the clip, patience ozokwor sef? but how do you know that the wife did not already greet in the morning, or is it everytime she works into a room she should greet the mother in law? but i think it's rude to whisper into someone's ears when he's having a meeting (with his mom or anyone else). it's plain rude, she could have sent him a text message instead.

goose1:

I have read most of the thread from the ladies in the house,many of them are against it,and are ready to do anything to frustrate the mama from the house.[b]Now lets look at it this way,your are the only child of your parents (a girl).You got married and later in life your mother became diabetic,meaning she needs closer attention,especially with regards to her food.She came over to her place to get relief and possibly live longer for you.[/b]A month later, your husband told you she has to go,how would you feel knowing she has no where else to go and cant take good care of herself.
I think toom much of these good-for-nothing nollywood videos are decieving lots of our girls.Why do women treat their husbands folk harshily and wickedly?,its time ladies learn how to love in their married life.

that's the point i was trying to make earlier, that many times it's not what people plan for but things like terminal illnesses that cause a woman to move into her child's house. people say that they should go to the village and all, but what about today's parents who never lived in the village? the city is their only home, and there's no neighbour (or friend's daughter) that would go and give them the care they need daily. sometimes even a maid is not good enough. now nigerians are becoming more health conscious and many people will live longer but with terminal illnesses. maybe we should start setting up nursing homes/hospices in nigeria.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 31, 2010
There are SO many circumstances to be considered when it comes to an overstaying mother, think about that
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by H2O2: 8:27pm On Jan 31, 2010
Yuh I agree.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 31, 2010
GL:

i just watched the clip, patience ozokwor sef? but how do you know that the wife did not already greet in the morning, or is it everytime she works into a room she should greet the mother in law? but i think it's rude to whisper into someone's ears when he's having a meeting (with his mom or anyone else). it's plain rude, she could have sent him a text message instead.

Not once in my post did I insinuate that she should greet her in-law every time she enters a room.

But in a circumstance where two people are talking and having a discussion, it's plain rude to just walk in and start disrupting the meeting.

Apart from Nollywood not being able to produce a sensible movie, the girl had no respect, simple. And the event at the dinner table was also rude AFTER the in-law expressed her discomfort with the lovey dovey, she had the gut to continue with it. Iru oshi wo ni ye?
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by chiogo(f): 8:46pm On Jan 31, 2010
The comments here are so ridiculously funny, some retarded. grin grin grin

Anyways, some people here are just making noise. It depends on the situation and the people involved. Until you're in that position, quit yarning dust.
I still maintain that married couples need their space sometimes. It's not about mother-in-law or not. Relatives in general can be a handful. 'Nuff said.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by sjeezy8: 8:49pm On Jan 31, 2010
FL Gators:

So you're really  trying to say that you cant understand why the mother in-law feels insulted?

Yea that was nonsense, I wouldnt be doing all that infront of my inlaws and I dont want my wife doing all that infront of my parents
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 31, 2010
Ok no one is saying a mum-in-law should not come and stay, but why turn yourself into a tin God? If you dont like the way things are being run in the house,  then scram . A mother should realise that once her son is married, she cant be that prominent in his life anymore.
That why the bible says a man shall leave his father and mother and unite with his wife. And it is the duty of a man to protect his family, why would u be using that excuse of na she born me, fed me etc u mite as well invite ur papa too now. if ur wife and mum re aving  discords,  the best thing is to let them live seperately. U really need to think about ur wife's happiness too.
Every ladies dream is to be able to run her home without anyone shoving ideas down her throat, but believe me most mother-in-laws are just good at that.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by CILondon: 9:14pm On Jan 31, 2010
I don't think it is so much the fact that the mother-in-law is staying with them - it is the fact that she has taken over completely, making all the decisions

It must be awful to be demoted to "child" in your own house

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by H2O2: 9:19pm On Jan 31, 2010
Can you stop concocting movie examples. Bring out real life examples of situations where these things are happenings so that we can discuss them.

How exactly has the Mo-in-Law chieftained your lives?
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by spoilt(f): 10:10pm On Jan 31, 2010
What will possess my mother inlaw to overstay in my house? Each visit is planned and has a definite duration. Not just for her but for everyone who comes to stay.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by vivaladiva(f): 10:25pm On Jan 31, 2010
lady t, u have am impecable memory, am impressed, so u still rem me, i must ave made a lasting impression on u then, anyway wat i decide to do wiv my t-o-t-o and who and how many i choose to share it wiv is none of ur business and does not in any way hamper my ability to reason and think logically, ernestly , some people baffle me

to the matter at hand, just cos mama is old doesnt mean she sld act like a d-i-c-k head, dis is y naija is bleeped, oboy if u f-u-c-k up no matter the age u need warning

ah oga i think we should do it this way
r u mad, do u know how long ave been in this job, how dare u talk to me like that, am i not old enof to b ur great grand father or mother
ehen and so, if u come old nko, na u sinior metusela, that mean say u no fit take correction, or adopt new production techniques

the west has no culture, indeed, the west has tot me that respect is earned and is reciprocal, and no one i repeat no onesld lay claim to respect, if u disrespect me, i dont care if u are as old as the oldest human skeleton found in the world, i go sample ur balls, warning
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by koolchicco: 10:45pm On Jan 31, 2010
FL Gators:

FL Gators, chill down naw. Your blood to dey hot!! cheesy

BTW, Which one be "Nonsense and Ingredient"? undecided LWKMD
grin grin
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by mamagee3(f): 11:02pm On Jan 31, 2010
Shatapp Koolchicco, you are nonsensical and Ingredientical.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by ojust4real(f): 11:17pm On Jan 31, 2010
if u hav a bad voice like me just keep on singing anytime she is around u.
or eat plenty egss and beans any time she is around realise d bomb.i give 5 days she go find her level.if all dis did not work do dis last one but make sure ur husband is not around when u do dis one.go on ur knees and pray as loudly as u can dat every body dat as enjoy her life and is trying to disturb u on ur own time holy ghost fire destroy them. kiss kissGod kill God kill God kill mama go run b4 u know it.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by koolchicco: 11:21pm On Jan 31, 2010
mama-gee:

Shatapp Koolchicco, you are nonsensical and Ingredientical.

I'd pretend I didn't see this, but u might not be this lucky next time! tongue
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jan 31, 2010
i'll give her non verbal communication dat she wil understand (especially wen she's bossing me in my own home) 4 example wen i'm going out i'll lock my kitchen n bedroom n come back wen my husband comes bak from work.on weekends i'll suggest an outing.i'll make her practically non existent nobody will teach her b4 she leaves but if she's nice n doesn't overstay i'll pet her silly n buy jwellry n some oda stuffs she'll appreciate.i'll even take her out.however d way i'll treat my moda inlaw is d way she acts IN MY HOUSE
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by CILondon: 12:22am On Feb 01, 2010
kulyie:

i'll give her non verbal communication dat she wil understand (especially wen she's bossing me in my own home) 4 example wen i'm going out i'll lock my kitchen n bedroom n come back wen my husband comes bak from work.on weekends i'll suggest an outing.i'll make her practically non existent nobody will teach her b4 she leaves but if she's nice n doesn't overstay i'll pet her silly n buy jwellry n some oda stuffs she'll appreciate.i'll even take her out.however d way i'll treat my moda inlaw is d way she acts IN MY HOUSE

Very true indeed - the way you treat her should depend on the way she acts in your house. I'm not into this Nigerian tradition of respecting every one who is older than you. Some people just don't deserve it when you look at the way they treat/talk to others.
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by dayokanu(m): 1:17am On Feb 01, 2010
Would you as a girl abuse or fight your own mom under any condition?

If you can then No COMMENTS.

If you cant then why do same to your mother in Law who birthed your husband you claim to love
Re: How Do You Deal With An Overstaying Mother In Law by bawomolo(m): 3:00am On Feb 01, 2010
dayokanu:

Would you as a girl abuse or fight your own mom under any condition?

If you can then No COMMENTS.

If you cant then why do same to your mother in Law who birthed your husband you claim to love

the respect should be mutual. Both mother-in law and wife shouldn't resort to words or slaps. being a mother-in law doesn't give you the license to act like Joseph Stalin.

Nigerians take this respect your elders shiiit too far

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Reality: Men Are Fast Losing Their Positions As The Heads Of Families / Loss Of Libido Due To Depression: How Does One Revive It? / Side Chicks Act Like Spare Tires In Marriage, They Are Very Important – Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.