Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,715 members, 7,955,688 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:53 PM

80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls (9547 Views)

Summary Of CBN Revised Bank Charges / CBN Revise Guide To Bank Charges / Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by juwoonn(m): 7:46am On Jul 06, 2017
And MTN is not better than the banks. They subscribe you to packages you don't need and debit your account. Unsubscribe from that package, and they'll look for another package for you.
By the time they subscribe N50 package for 100,000 people, N5million Don land for that day
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by gbegemaster(m): 7:46am On Jul 06, 2017
AuroraB:
Got mail from GTB 2days ago about a 13,800 debit for something I never asked or subscribed to. I have had nothing to do with the bank for over 4yrs I got fed up with their handling of my card issues. And will not have a thing to do with them. They can get the money from wherever they see it in the account.
Diamond bank sent theirs midnight today, I have never used the account before and thankfully too. They can as well, collect the 9,400 from the Nano millions in there.
I dey put my money for kolo or dig ground put am that way, these amase anfani pipo agaghi eri'm angry angry
GTB are my enemies aswear cheesy

I've deactivated my ATM card with them.

1 Like

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by akereconfi: 7:47am On Jul 06, 2017
akanbiaa:
FCMB deducted 2000 naira from my account for buying airtime that was not successful and they did not refund it, its over 3 weeks now I have called customer care, wrote email and used their official Whatsapp chat yet money not returned , complained since June 14th 2017 and many reminders nothing have been done till date but they keep replying they are working on it.This is MTN customer care Ticket Ref. No is 82695125 that affirms I was not credited Here is FCMB tracking ID : 649086.

You serious o �����
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by friday2011(m): 7:47am On Jul 06, 2017
froz:
A recent public opinion poll by NOIPolls has revealed that most Nigerians (80 percent) are expressing concern over what they refer to as incessant and indiscriminate bank charges levied on their accounts by commercial banks. The poll, which was prompted by recent media reports and commentary on bank charges and deductions from customer accounts without prior communication; also revealed that most Nigerians (71 percent) consider the various charges as simply unfair in relation to the services rendered by the banks.

Similarly, the poll found that 72 percent of respondents say they have been noticing various deductions from their bank accounts; such as SMS charges (49 percent), ATM / Debit Card maintenance (46 percent) and 65 Naira charge after 3 withdrawals per month (38 percent) amongst other charges.

More findings from the poll revealed that about 7 in 10 respondents (76 percent) were of the opinion that the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has not done enough to defend bank customers from the onslaught of incessant bank charges from commercial banks, particularly in this recession when ordinary Nigerians are feeling the pain of the economic downturn. In the same vein, respondents seized the opportunity of the poll to urge the CBN to regulate bank charges (31 percent) and/or compel banks to reduce transaction charges (28 percent); as well as those with extreme views that CBN should scrap bank charges (23 percent). These were some of the key findings from the Bank Charges Poll conducted by NOIPolls in the week commencing June 5th, 2017.

Brief Background

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in its 2017 Guide on Financial Charges stipulates that, if a new charge is to be introduced, financial institutions should get a prior written approval from the CBN and should be properly communicated to customers before such new charges are introduced and implemented; although, recent media reports revealed that some bank customers in Nigeria expressed concern on unauthorized and unfair charges on their account by their banks.

Similarly, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) recently reviewed the cashless policy and reintroduced charges on cash deposits and withdrawals. However, a cross section of citizens have been lamenting the unfavourable nature of these charges; especially in the light of the current economic climate. The negative implication of the charges on struggling Small to Medium Enterprises (SMEs) have also been highlighted over time. Against this background, NOIPolls conducted a public opinion poll to gauge the perception of Nigerians regarding bank charges they have experienced in recent times.

Survey Findings

The poll was administered to only respondents who have bank accounts. The initial question sought to gauge the frequency of financial transactions carried out by respondents on bank accounts and 40 percent of the respondents revealed that they ‘sometimes’carry out financial transactions via their accounts and the North-West zone had the highest representation (55 percent) in this category. Similarly, while 27 percent said that they ‘often’ carry out transactions on their accounts, 21 percent indicated that they ‘always’ carry out financial transactions on their accounts and those aged 18 – 35 years had the larger share (25 percent) in this regard. It is worth noting that respondents who had never carried out a transaction on their accounts had their interviews terminated at this point.

Of the proportion who has their accounts running, 72 percent indicated that they have noticed some classification of charges or deductions from their bank accounts and residents from the South-East zone accounted for the largest proportion (80 percent) of respondents who asserted to this. On the other hand, 28 percent said that they have not noticed any deductions on their accounts recently and residents from the North-Central zone have the highest representation in this category.

Subsequently, respondents who have noticed some sort of charges on their accounts were further probed to state the kinds of charges they have noticed. Almost half of the respondents (49 percent) mentioned ‘SMS charge’ which is a fee that banks impose on customers for the notifications sent on every activity on their accounts. This is closely followed by 46 percent who stated that they are fully aware that ‘ATM / Debit Card maintenance’ fee is being deducted from their accounts periodically. Also, 38 percent mentioned the ‘65 Naira charge’ that banks charge its customers whenever the customer exceeds the allowed 3 minimum withdrawals from third party banks’ ATMs. Other mentions were ‘Interbank transaction charges’ (14 percent), ‘Monthly maintenance charges’ (9 percent), ‘Mobile banking charges’ (8 percent), among other mentions.

Most Nigerians (80 percent), expressed displeasure that they are rarely notified before new charges deducted from their accounts; and residents of the South-West geo-political zone (82 percent) accounted for the largest proportion in this category. On the contrary, 20 percent of respondents admitted that they often receive notifications from their banks before new charges are applied on their accounts.

Nigerians were also asked to match the services rendered by banks, in relation to the charges levied on their accounts. Interestingly about 7 in 10 respondents (71 percent) were strongly of the opinion that the charges levied on their accounts by the banks were simply unfair. On the contrary, 29 percent opined that the charges are fair.

Furthermore, the poll revealed that the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) needs to do more in regulating bank charges as 76 percent of the Nigerians stated that the CBN has not done enough to protect customers by addressing the issue of incessant charges and deductions by commercial banks. However, on the other hand, 24 percent claimed that CBN has done enough in regulating bank charges.

Lastly, the opinions of Nigerians were sought regarding suggestions to address the issue bank charges. As anticipated, 31 percent of respondents stated that the CBN should regulate bank charges, while 28 percent noted that the CBN should compel banks to reduce their transaction charges. Curiously, there were some extreme views expressed by some respondents that the CBN should simply scrap some of the unnecessary charges amongst others.

In conclusion, this report has clearly shown the growing concerns by Nigerians over charges levied on their accounts by commercial banks in the country. This is evidenced by the 71 percent of respondents who consider the incessant bank charges as unfair in relation to the services provided by the banks. Also, 80 percent of Nigerians expressed displeasure that they are rarely notified before new charges are deducted off their accounts. These findings highlight a critical need for the apex bank to step up its regulatory activities on the banks, as the general perception amongst the populace is that the CBN is not doing enough to protect customers from the commercial banks, especially in the light of the current economic recession.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/80-nigerians-express-concern-over-indiscriminate-bank-charges-noipolls/

Most of the charges in the report in my opinion are very reasonable except for the monthly card maintenance.

But I am so surprised nobody (respondents) made mention of stamp duty which the CBN takes the larger share.

It's well.
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by CLASSMAN: 7:53am On Jul 06, 2017
My own case no funny with fcmb I was being charged 2500 naija every month for maintenance fee ( I don't know who does that) I contacted consumer protection at cbn they ignored me I had to move all my out of it they still put the account on negative if I have time I will write letter for them to close it down
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by xnsandrxns: 7:55am On Jul 06, 2017
gbegemaster:
Quickly go and fill an indemnity form canceling the sms alerts. You can stick to email notifications only if you have a smartphone
What about the #80 transfer charges
And why can't they just send one sms alert?
Email could delay atimes, so it's not security wise to just rely on email notifications
Most times I get email notifications hours after my transaction

1 Like

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 06, 2017
precious1967:
first bank charges too outrageous.

Those people are thieves.
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by jfleece(m): 7:58am On Jul 06, 2017
Zenith bank is the best..

1 Like

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by chidextec: 8:03am On Jul 06, 2017
taylor88:
ThankGod i don't have a penny in UBA

unless they want to charge me for early morning erection

na that one i go fit pay forever
bros u no get chill at all grin grin
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by ayusco85(m): 8:03am On Jul 06, 2017
akanbiaa:
FCMB deducted 2000 naira from my account for buying airtime that was not successful and they did not refund it, its over 3 weeks now I have called customer care, wrote email and used their official Whatsapp chat yet money not returned , complained since June 14th 2017 and many reminders nothing have been done till date but they keep replying they are working on it.This is MTN customer care Ticket Ref. No is 82695125 that affirms I was not credited Here is FCMB tracking ID : 649086.

Bro this is not fcmb customer service page. Lol
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by gbegemaster(m): 8:03am On Jul 06, 2017
xnsandrxns:

What about the #80 transfer charges
And why can't they just send one sms alert?
Email could delay atimes, so it's not security wise to just rely on email notifications
Most times I get email notifications hours after my transaction
Email delays is caused by poor data network and the time you set for email synchronization. Note that sms also has delays due to poor network.

You should also approach the bank to lay a complaint about the excess charges. I think It's against CBN regulation for the banks to send sms alerts on secondary transactions such as VAT

1 Like

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by SycophanticGoat: 8:05am On Jul 06, 2017
The federal government and CBN under Buhari and Emefiele gave the banks the go ahead to strangle the poor masses. Little wonder banks have all of a sudden become the biggest profit earners in Nigeria; recording billions in profit weekly while the masses cry on.
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by Gkemz: 8:07am On Jul 06, 2017
Immediately this government assumed power, i stopped getting interest on my savings instead charges upon charges. Buhari is a curse, sorry i meant cause of all these. No be say dem give us us job, but want to kill us with tax upon tax.

2 Likes

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by SycophanticGoat: 8:09am On Jul 06, 2017
taylor88:

cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin

cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by xnsandrxns: 8:09am On Jul 06, 2017
gbegemaster:
Email delays is caused by poor data network and the time you set for email synchronization. Note that sms also has delays due to poor network.

You should also approach the bank to lay a complaint about the excess charges. I think It's against CBN regulation for the banks to send sms alerts on secondary transactions such as VAT
If it's against CBN regulation then they are committing an offense
I'm gradually moving my transactions to another bank now
Less headache

1 Like

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 06, 2017
80% rather lack basic knowledge on how banking run hence such statistic. I think we should ask questions before going for products.

All bank charges are tailored to common explanation. The bank is not a charity organization, they are out for profit.

#MyCandidOpinion

1 Like

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 06, 2017
Diamond Thieves are the worse.
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by Acidosis(m): 8:12am On Jul 06, 2017
Some banks now fraudulently configure their ATMs to dispense max. 10,000 just to earn the N65 loot.

2 Likes

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by Oxenomy: 8:15am On Jul 06, 2017
Diamond Bank is worse angry angry .... Got fed up with what Diamond bank is doing to me, I decided to change bank by opening an account with GTB.. They collected my 10k since March 10th and up till now, they haven't sent my account details to me.. I have gone to the branch up to 10 times, called their headquarters in Lagos, emailed them, called them for uncountable number of times and up till now, nothing has been done about it.. Now I just considered the 10k as a lost money.. Really fed up in this zoo sad sad angry angry

1 Like

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by akanbiaa(m): 8:15am On Jul 06, 2017
ayusco85:

Bro this is not fcmb customer service page. Lol
They have failed that's why its in the public, did you even read what I wrote ?
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 06, 2017
Access bank is one of the worst banks, they charge you monthly ATM maintenance even though you dont use the ATM.

Whats the point of ch

I have always said there is no banking in Nigeria, just a consortium of well dressed crooks. cool

2 Likes

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by ayusco85(m): 8:20am On Jul 06, 2017
akanbiaa:
They have failed that's why its in the public, did you even read what I wrote ?

I read it all. Am a contact center agent for one of the Nigerian banks, I can relate to wat u typed.
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by eluquenson(m): 8:28am On Jul 06, 2017
UBA still the best when it comes to bank charges on any product and services
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by Klington: 8:30am On Jul 06, 2017
Fidelity bank is an armed rubbery bank followed closely by first bank. These thieves can debit for no reason at all and when you lodge complaints they tell you such transactions did not reflect in your account How come their Mata weak me seriously.
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by damola311: 8:31am On Jul 06, 2017
Am I the only one FBN charge for card maintenance fee since May? Very surprised, was thinking this is once in a year??
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by magoo10(m): 8:32am On Jul 06, 2017
Enjoy the change
not funny though
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by joenor(m): 8:38am On Jul 06, 2017
Na wah, so early morning u dey erect, Madam go dey hear word every morning oooo
taylor88:

Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by just2endowed: 8:42am On Jul 06, 2017
Acidosis:
Some banks now fraudulently configure their ATMs to dispense max. 10,000 just to earn the N65 loot.

E.g Ecobank .
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by Miles300: 8:43am On Jul 06, 2017
The Nigerian banking industry is the most corrupt in the world !
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by freeay: 8:52am On Jul 06, 2017
Diamond bank would give me 9N as interest on my savings account and debit me N300 for what i can not explain.
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by joenor(m): 8:57am On Jul 06, 2017
Abeg this should be call to order, shu... SMS charges, other bank ATM charges 65, transfer charges 52,... haba, how much person wan get after all this plenty charges at the end of the month, if you na person when dey do plenty transaction..., that mean you dey pay some ppl their salary every month.
Re: 80% Nigerians Express Concern Over Indiscriminate Bank Charges – Noipolls by gbegemaster(m): 9:06am On Jul 06, 2017
xnsandrxns:

If it's against CBN regulation then they are committing an offense
I'm gradually moving my transactions to another bank now
Less headache
I've done the same thing. Here's the screenshot of the CBN regulation.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Misses Digital Switch-over Deadline Again As Scandal Rocks NBC / Starting Up An IT Outsourcing Company / Crude Oil Hits $72, Highest In Three Years Over Middle East Tensions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.