Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,207 members, 7,829,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1281) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2088636 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1278) (1279) (1280) (1281) (1282) (1283) (1284) ... (1707) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 3:30pm On Oct 19, 2022
What exactly are your loads, I mean what gadgets constitute the 515W?

Sapiosexuality:
Guys, say I'm trying to do a 24hr solar source for about 600W or 1000w, would that be possible with a budget of 350k?

The total load is actually about 515 but I'm trying to raise it to 600 or 1000w (depending on cost). Is the budget enough for 600w and 24hr? If not, what can I can with that budget? Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 4:17pm On Oct 19, 2022
SolnergyPower:
What exactly are your loads, I mean what gadgets constitute the 515W?

TV 75, 2 Laptops 90w, Phone chargers, 50W, Fan (rechargeable plus normal) 100w, Sound Bar 40w, Bulbs 60w, Fridge 100 w.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EPOMA(m): 6:54pm On Oct 19, 2022
Sapiosexuality:
TV 75, 2 Laptops 90w, Phone chargers, 50W, Fan (rechargeable plus normal) 100w, Sound Bar 40w, Bulbs 60w, Fridge 100 w.

Sound Bars do not consume 100watts, Laptops do not consume 90watts , which kind phone chargers consumes 50 watts or you are just making this up .

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EPOMA(m): 7:07pm On Oct 19, 2022
Sapiosexuality:

You do not charge fone for 20 hours , you do not charge laptops for 20 hour , When a laptop battery is full , you don't consume more that 10 watts from the battery charger of your laptop. The soundbar drags power when you play it loud with bass . So try and work what you really need .

My freezer at home only runs on solar for only 5 -6 hours a day .

I have a small Victron system of 1.6kva,
I have 4 panels of 300watts panels

I do everything during the day and in the night , most thing are off , Only 100watts worth of equipment runs in the Night . My Lithium is small

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Gr8teejay: 7:40pm On Oct 19, 2022
Obnoxious2001:

Comrade no be so oh grin grin.

As a student who is wanting to go solar you should be looking at 120-150k minimum.

I have a 150w panel and a 40ah battery. Although I might upgrade the battery in the future, my previous inverter got burnt.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:49pm On Oct 19, 2022
EPOMA:

Sound Bars do not consume 100watts, Laptops do not consume 90watts , which kind phone chargers consumes 50 watts or you are just making this up .
Lol. I'm actually considering the many other phones from my neighbors I often help to charge. My charger is fast charge and 22.5Watts.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:53pm On Oct 19, 2022
EPOMA:

You do not charge fone for 20 hours , you do not charge laptops for 20 hour , When a laptop battery is full , you don't consume more that 10 watts from the battery charger of your laptop. The soundbar drags power when you play it loud with bass . So try and work what you really need .

My freezer at home only runs on solar for only 5 -6 hours a day .

I have a small Victron system of 1.6kva,
I have 4 panels of 300watts panels

I do everything during the day and in the night , most thing are off , Only 100watts worth of equipment runs in the Night . My Lithium is small

Wow! This is wonderful. This makes sense. I don't play music just sound from TV connected to the sound bar.

So, using your own analysis, what will it cost me if I were to run it for 24 hours? Thank you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EPOMA(m): 11:56pm On Oct 19, 2022
Sapiosexuality:
Wow! This is wonderful. This makes sense. I don't play music just sound from TV connected to the sound bar.

So, using your own analysis, what will it cost me if I were to run it for 24 hours? Thank you.

You have to tell us how long the TV is on for in a day , What is the wattage of your TV.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 11:57pm On Oct 19, 2022
Sapiosexuality:
Guys, say I'm trying to do a 24hr solar source for about 600W or 1000w, would that be possible with a budget of 350k?

The total load is actually about 515 but I'm trying to raise it to 600 or 1000w (depending on cost). Is the budget enough for 600w and 24hr? If not, what can I can with that budget? Thanks.

Inverter and battery? Yes
Solar Panels, Charge Controller, inverter, batteries? Maybe, depending on the brand

But it has to be a DIY as there is little room for profit so heavy weight installers will look past this request

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obnoxious2001(m): 2:54am On Oct 20, 2022
Gr8teejay:
I have a 150w panel and a 40ah battery. Although I might upgrade the battery in the future, my previous inverter got burnt.
Oh.
You can get a sachet inverter it's around 15k.
It should serve you.

Just curious, where did you purchase the 40ah battery
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 6:45am On Oct 20, 2022
Sapiosexuality:

let's say your load is 300w, to power such for 24hrs is 7200wh, you will need 400ah battery at 24v, you can make do with with a 200ah 24v lifepo4 battery with around 2kw in solar panels which will cost way more than your budget

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jefferyzz(m): 7:14am On Oct 20, 2022
U can build a 12v 200a system with ur budget but u'll need to cut down ur usage.
N for solar panels. Someone here wants to sell used 300w yingli panels for 50k each.. not sure if he still has left. I got 4 from him. Ur remaining 250 will go-to flooded battery 150-180k. Inverter.. 30k..
Wires go chop like 15k MCB 1pole(2dc n 1ac) 2k each.. ur budget no carry SPDs...
Sapiosexuality:

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 7:25am On Oct 20, 2022
Sapiosexuality:

prices has gone up seriously, as such, according to the load u intend to run, 350k might not be a enough to buy just batteries. even 1pcs of quality 200ah batteries is atleast 190k each now.. if u must run 600w on solar for 24hrs, then you must budget at least 1million.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 8:05am On Oct 20, 2022
Sapiosexuality:

Hello Bro, sent you a pm, please reply

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:25am On Oct 20, 2022
EPOMA:

You have to tell us how long the TV is on for in a day , What is the wattage of your TV.

The TV is 75W and I like the sound of TV even when I'm not watching it grin. So, I'd say about 18 hours. Only off when I'm sleeping.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:26am On Oct 20, 2022
FEGEITOK:

Inverter and battery? Yes
Solar Panels, Charge Controller, inverter, batteries? Maybe, depending on the brand

But it has to be a DIY as there is little room for profit so heavy weight installers will look past this request
Yeah. I want to do it myself for the experience.

What could go wrong with using a cheaper brand?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:28am On Oct 20, 2022
Penuelseun:
let's say your load is 300w, to power such for 24hrs is 7200wh, you will need 400ah battery at 24v, you can make do with with a 200ah 24v lifepo4 battery with around 2kw in solar panels which will cost way more than your budget
Na wa o. Is there no way to work around it? I need at least something that can power 500W.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:29am On Oct 20, 2022
Jefferyzz:
U can build a 12v 200a system with ur budget but u'll need to cut down ur usage.
N for solar panels. Someone here wants to sell used 300w yingli panels for 50k each.. not sure if he still has left. I got 4 from him. Ur remaining 250 will go-to flooded battery 150-180k. Inverter.. 30k..
Wires go chop like 15k MCB 1pole(2dc n 1ac) 2k each.. ur budget no carry SPDs...
What's SPD? I'm a novice in solar but I'm good with electronics.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:31am On Oct 20, 2022
Valto:
prices has gone up seriously, as such, according to the load u intend to run, 350k might not be a enough to buy just batteries. even 1pcs of quality 200ah batteries is atleast 190k each now.. if u must run 600w on solar for 24hrs, then you must budget at least 1million.
1 Million? You are scaring me now. grin. Though from responses so far I need to increase my budget.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samir101ng(m): 9:41am On Oct 20, 2022
Sapiosexuality:

So, we need to break it down for us to understand your requirements better.

Four main factors are at play here:

1. The loads you intend to power
2. How many hours you need to power that load
3. Solar panels size
4. Inverter size to power those loads.

1. You need to an energy audit of your loads. We can't stop repeating our self on this matter. Check the power requirements of your load by listing all the appliances you need to power and the power they consume. You can check on the power supply of the appliances to see their ratings.

2. So, this where it gets tricky. In an ideal situation, your solar panels should be producing enough power for your load and have some left over to charge your batteries. So, lets say from 9am to 5pm your solar panel should be powering your device (8hrs). That leaves you to power the device with battery from 5pm to 9am (16hrs). So, taking an example of 600w, assuming the power stays the same, you need to power 600w for 16 hours so you need to get a battery capacity for that. So power required = 600W. No. of hours = 16h. Total Power (Energy) = 600W x 16h = 9600Wh. Now, if your going for lead acid battery you can only use 50% depth of discharge so you will need a battery with high ah so that you can discharge the capacity you need from it without damaging the battery. You have a choice of a three choices here.
a. Buy two 6v batteries, wire them in series to make 12v
b. Buy one 12v 200ah battery either gel, AGM
c. Buy two 12v 200ah battery to make a 24v system.
I advise you get two decent 12v 200ah batteries (Quanta, Ritar etc) and wire them in series for a 24v 200ah system. LifeP04 is out of range of your budget. Good luck with that grin grin

3. So, for solar panel size, you need a panel that will power the 600w load for those 8hrs and charge the battery for later use (16hrs). i will recommend two (2) 450W Yingli Solar Panels in series for this. A good 60amps MPPT (Powmr) should do the job. Because of heat, shading and inclination of the solar panels you might not hit the rated nameplates of the panels but its a good over sizing.

4. so, for inverter i recommend a 12v 1.5kva since you are on a budget but you can do 24v 2000w also. While there are several Chinese clones littering the market with cheap internal components, i advise you get a decent brand to last you long. I have attached a decent Suoer Brand that ship direct to Nigeria from AliExpress.

So, this is my humble attempt at an analysis. Your budget is very tight though you may need to look at that battery capacity you need to power items for so long. Good luck

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 9:42am On Oct 20, 2022
Sapiosexuality:
1 Million? You are scaring me now. grin. Though from responses so far I need to increase my budget.
that is the bitter truth bro, if u try to cut corners and get it cheaper, it might lead to regret in few months time. even with your latest proposed 500w, u still need
2pcs of high quality(quanta, ritar, fullriver) 200ah batteries =370k,
24v 1.6kva inverter and external 60A cc @180k
4pcs of 400w panels (1600w) 380k
installtion and accessories.
All will still round up 1M.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 10:38am On Oct 20, 2022
samir101ng:

So, we need to break it down for us to understand your requirements better.

Four main factors are at play here:

1. The loads you intend to power
2. How many hours you need to power that load
3. Solar panels size
4. Inverter size to power those loads.

1. You need to an energy audit of your loads. We can't stop repeating our self on this matter. Check the power requirements of your load by listing all the appliances you need to power and the power they consume. You can check on the power supply of the appliances to see their ratings.

2. So, this where it gets tricky. In an ideal situation, your solar panels should be producing enough power for your load and have some left over to charge your batteries. So, lets say from 9am to 5pm your solar panel should be powering your device (8hrs). That leaves you to power the device with battery from 5pm to 9am (16hrs). So, taking an example of 600w, assuming the power stays the same, you need to power 600w for 16 hours so you need to get a battery capacity for that. So power required = 600W. No. of hours = 16h. Total Power (Energy) = 600W x 16h = 9600Wh. Now, if your going for lead acid battery you can only use 50% depth of discharge so you will need a battery with high ah so that you can discharge the capacity you need from it without damaging the battery. You have a choice of a three choices here.
a. Buy two 6v batteries, wire them in series to make 12v
b. Buy one 12v 200ah battery either gel, AGM
c. Buy two 12v 200ah battery to make a 24v system.
I advise you get two decent 12v 200ah batteries (Quanta, Ritar etc) and wire them in series for a 24v 200ah system. LifeP04 is out of range of your budget. Good luck with that grin grin

3. So, for solar panel size, you need a panel that will power the 600w load for those 8hrs and charge the battery for later use (16hrs). i will recommend two (2) 450W Yingli Solar Panels in series for this. A good 60amps MPPT (Powmr) should do the job. Because of heat, shading and inclination of the solar panels you might not hit the rated nameplates of the panels but its a good over sizing.

4. so, for inverter i recommend a 12v 1.5kva since you are on a budget but you can do 24v 2000w also. While there are several Chinese clones littering the market with cheap internal components, i advise you get a decent brand to last you long. I have attached a decent Suoer Brand that ship direct to Nigeria from AliExpress.

So, this is my humble attempt at an analysis. Your budget is very tight though you may need to look at that battery capacity you need to power items for so long. Good luck
Wow! This is detailed.

I am copying all the advice here to my Notepad.

Two decent 12v 200ah batteries (Quanta, Ritar etc) and wire them in series for a 24v 200ah system.

Two (2) 450W Yingli Solar Panels in series for this.

A good 60amps MPPT (Powmr) should do the job.

For inverter a 12v 1.5kva since you are on a budget but you can do 24v 2000w also.

Before I start working on the four points above, I just want to ask:

1. Where's the best place to buy them? Just want to make sure I'm not getting fake products.

2. For the Quanta or Rita batteries does language matter? I see some as Pure Sine wave, etc., is any 12v 200ah battery okay for this?

3. For the Yingli solar panels, does it matter if it is monocrystalline or polycrystalline?

4. What about the cables for connection? Any specific brand?

To make sure I don't make mistake since I'm buying and doing it myself.

Thank you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 10:39am On Oct 20, 2022
Valto:
that is the bitter truth bro, if u try to cut corners and get it cheaper, it might lead to regret in few months time. even with your latest proposed 500w, u still need
2pcs of high quality(quanta, ritar, fullriver) 200ah batteries =370k,
24v 1.6kva inverter and external 60A cc @180k
4pcs of 400w panels (1600w) 380k
installtion and accessories.
All will still round up 1M.
But I can always be adding batteries and panels, right?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:44am On Oct 20, 2022
Sapiosexuality:
u can't mix old batteries with new ones. if u dont have ẹnough panels, your batteries might die prematurely due to undercharging.
Sapiosexuality:

for u to comfortably run 500w load and still charge up your 2pcs 200ah battery, that was heavily depleted at night, u need atleast 4pcs of 450w panels. a good solar system is not cheap, dont make mistake of cutting corners,otherwise there will be regret in few months.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:46am On Oct 20, 2022
Sapiosexuality:

If you are going lead acid you can't be adding batteries but lithium is more accommodating
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:51am On Oct 20, 2022
If he maintains a 12v nominal config for lead acid, he can add batteries over time with gaps up to 1 year and no serious ill effects.

The issues come when you try to put mismatched (different age and/or condition) lead acid batteries together in series. 12v batteries in parallel should stack okay.

Lithium gives OP more flexibility to grow the battery bank over time but ideally stack new entrants in parallel too.

Valto:
u can't mix old batteries with new ones. if u dont have ẹnough panels, your batteries might die prematurely due to undercharging.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:53am On Oct 20, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
If he maintains a 12v nominal config for lead acid, he can add batteries over time with gaps up to 1 year and no serious ill effects.

The issues come when you try to put mismatched (different age and/or condition) lead acid batteries together in series. 12v batteries in parallel should stack okay.

Lithium gives OP more flexibility to grow the battery bank over time but ideally stack new entrants in parallel too.

yeah, but he is talking about 24v system, he can't possibly mix old and new batteries

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 10:55am On Oct 20, 2022
Valto:
u can't mix old batteries with new ones. if u dont have ẹnough panels, your batteries might die prematurely due to undercharging. for u to comfortably run 500w load and still charge up your 2pcs 200ah battery, that was heavily depleted at night, u need atleast 4pcs of 450w panels. a good solar system is not cheap, dont make mistake of cutting corners,otherwise there will be regret in few months.
4 not 2? This is getting darker grin grin.

Noted. Whatever it takes. At least I am having a better idea of what I need to do now.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 10:56am On Oct 20, 2022
ojeysky:

If you are going lead acid you can't be adding batteries but lithium is more accommodating
Okay. That means I should be looking out for lithium type battery when I want to get to 200ah 12v Quanta or Rita, right?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:11am On Oct 20, 2022
So far as available in the local market, Amaron Quanta only have AGM and Flooded batteries (these are lead acid)

Lithium (LFP) cells you are looking at brands live EVE, REPT, CATL which you have to ship from China and usually setup into a battery pack yourself. You can also buy prefab/ready to use battery packs but good names cost a ton and el cheapos usually have capacity overstated.

Since this project is a DIY and learning opportunity for you, you may wish to go back in the thread and catchup on the wealth of information already posted over time.

Sapiosexuality:
Okay. That means I should be looking out for lithium type battery when I want to get to 200ah 12v Quanta or Rita, right?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samir101ng(m): 11:19am On Oct 20, 2022
Sapiosexuality:
Wow! This is detailed.

I am copying all the advice here to my Notepad.

Two decent 12v 200ah batteries (Quanta, Ritar etc) and wire them in series for a 24v 200ah system.

A good 60amps MPPT (Powmr) should do the job.

For inverter a 12v 1.5kva since you are on a budget but you can do 24v 2000w also.

Before I start working on the four points above, I just want to ask:

1. Where's the best place to buy them? Just want to make sure I'm not getting fake products.

2. For the Quanta or Rita batteries does language matter? I see some as Pure Sine wave, etc., is any 12v 200ah battery okay for this?

3. For the Yingli solar panels, does it matter if it is monocrystalline or polycrystalline?

4. What about the cables for connection? Any specific brand?

To make sure I don't make mistake since I'm buying and doing it myself.

Thank you.

1. Personally, i like buying my stuff online directly. AliExpress is a good online marketplace that ship your items directly to the nearest post office in your area. If your lucky, they might use Speedaf couriers for faster delivery. However, you can search on Jumia & Kongo for the brand name of Suoer for the inverter range i shared with you. I saw some sellers selling it there- during a recent search. Too many fakes in the nigerian market. You can buy an inverter and mppt direct from there but you will have to pay with a dollar card at black market rates. You also run the risk of being asked to pay duty on those items by NIPOST. But even at that, i prefer that unless i have a decent alternative. Oga Valto has a decent range of inverters he sells. Oga Odimbandi sells Powmr charge controller also.

2. Your budget will decide a lot of things and is a big variable in the type of things you can buy. Personally, i recommend a 24v system which is two 12v batteries in series. Now for the batteries, dem plenty for market with different characteristics. But though more expensive i prefer AGM batteries which are sealed and maintenance free even though GEL/tubular batteries can also do the job but my problem is they vent gas and so you don't install them indoors. Quanta & Ritar are the name brands of two AGM battery manufacturers. Luminous & Eastmann also manufacture and sell GEL/tubular batteries. If you want to do LifeP04, unless you want to DIY your better off buying a coupled system from someone. Again grin, check Valto's post and other sellers on the options they have. But do your own due diligence also.

3. The 450W Yingli panels are monocrystaline and budget friendly compared to other brands. Buying cheap chinese knock off panels will not give you decent yields from your solar setup. As suggested by Oga Valto, you might need to increase the panels to 4 if your going for a 24v system.

4. I am not an installer so i can't comment on the type or brand of cable you need. But just make sure that the correct size of wire is used and that it is original copper that's used.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jefferyzz(m): 11:32am On Oct 20, 2022
Surge protector
I forgot to mention charge controller too.. like 40a Felicity... 60k or buy 60a powmr 65k
Sapiosexuality:
What's SPD? I'm a novice in solar but I'm good with electronics.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1278) (1279) (1280) (1281) (1282) (1283) (1284) ... (1707) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.