Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,457 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1375) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2064712 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1372) (1373) (1374) (1375) (1376) (1377) (1378) ... (1695) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 6:52pm On Mar 22, 2023
GloriousGbola:
first of all, you need to establish a mail trail

not just phone call.

so if this issue is not resolved you can put lagos and national consumer protection agency in copy

this is another fly by night hustler company by the looks of it. no executive board on the homepage. usually a call or mail to the ceo or oga at the top straightens this out

if you have sm clout, you acan also go for the shaming on twitter. after you have demonstrated that all else has failed

you could even do the same with NL - if it gets pushed to FP.

they do not like negative publicity.

the problem however is that this may be a shit product that will still fail again. you can also consider going to their warehouse. they may have actual repairs there.

it is possible the marketer is doing all he knows - a canned response

This can bring any top company down.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 7:05pm On Mar 22, 2023
I spot a DBA here. I once thought Oracle DB 10g - 11g on diff platforms(Windows, Linux & Sun Solaris) several years ago.

GloriousGbola:

The ups cost like 250k to fix if I recall, and the enterprise oracle server went down. Because one poorly trained security guard saw power in an isolated server room.

In hindsight, who knows all the stunts those guys had been pulling on the ups powered circuits.

When mtn came to Nigeria, they enacted a policy of changing all ups outlets to German schuko because office workers were connecting boiling rings to the UK flatpin ups outlets

Abuse of ups/inverter by end users is a real problem
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:05pm On Mar 22, 2023
earthrealm:

hahahahhaha, i have been on both sides of the table at different times, so i have an unbiased perspective.

errrm, but lemme ask you....since we all know that these chinese products are substandard, why do we still buy them?...why not go for premium products that cost an arm an a leg like victron or morning star?. the morning star 60amps charge controller is 650 dollars...wch is about 500k plus, then seller factors in profit..its heading towards 600k for a bloody charge controller -- but it comes with a robust 5yr few questions asked waranty, they sent out a replacement unit, sharp. but we all prefer the elcheapo 100k charge controller and still expect a world class performance. grin grin grin.

for these chinese products, most sellers are middle men and dont have the willpower & muscle to push for waranty from where ever they bought it from, only felicity, growatt , aedunamis to some extent, have i heard honor waranties. i would advice if you must buy these chinese products ..buy direct from the big distributor in nigeria, 2nd best option buy from the manufacturer/or big seller in china. they usually have a 1yr waranty, felicity i learnt does 2yrs waranty...Deye offers 5yrs waranty..but costs over 2x that of the average china inverter....so the avg nigerian runs from it. victron offers 5yr waranty, but costs about 4x the cost of avg china inverter grin grin.- na so people dey pick race, .....

I've had a Chinese seller replace my Fangpusun charge controller after 18 months by sending another charge controller free of charge and even used DHL to waybill it, I bought the charge controller then $276 in 2016. It may not be premium, but some sellers still know how to honour a warranty. They gave me 2 years warranty. Still using the replacement till date, got no reason to give it up, it simply still works smiley

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:07pm On Mar 22, 2023
Trippledots:

I recently repaired a felicity hybrid on warranty. It's cooling fan failed and something roasted inside. It has been installed back and working welk so far... I think Felicity is trying in that regards.

That's true, I've had them repair a friend's inverter too free of charge. I was shocked, the friend only covered transportation cost of sending it to their office and back. They are trying.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GloriousGbola: 7:09pm On Mar 22, 2023
TechGeek777:
I spot a DBA here. I once thought Oracle DB 10g - 11g on diff platforms(Windows, Linux & Sun Solaris) several years ago.

Nah. Electrical engineer with his fingers in many pies. Design, construction, facilities, support, It support, CAD, Cad administration

FEGEITOKs byline is correct as long as one no do pass oneself

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GloriousGbola: 7:14pm On Mar 22, 2023
mctfopt:

That's true, I've had them repair a friend's inverter too free of charge. I was shocked, the friend only covered transportation cost of sending it to their office and back. They are trying.

A partner wants to go all in on PV installations so I did some research. Felicity solar are the only lower tier solar who have a proper website and proper documentation of all their products. They also have very wide coverage. Across Africa.

Most of these solar products Google searches takes you to jumia and ends there. Or the company ends in Ikeja.

We also went to felicitys main office in okota. They have a workshop filled to overflowing. Whether that is a good sign or not depends on you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 7:21pm On Mar 22, 2023
GloriousGbola:

A partner wants to go all in on PV installations so I did some research.

1. Felicity solar are the only lower tier solar who have a proper website and proper documentation of all their products.

2.They also have very wide coverage. Across Africa.

Most of these solar products Google searches takes you to jumia and ends there. Or the company ends in Ikeja.

We also went to felicitys main office in okota.

3. They have a workshop filled to overflowing.

Whether that is a good sign or not depends on you.

Some of the signs I would look for before purchasing a product.

It is not always a bad sign that a product is a mass market as opposed to being a premium product.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:59pm On Mar 22, 2023
GloriousGbola:

A partner wants to go all in on PV installations so I did some research. Felicity solar are the only lower tier solar who have a proper website and proper documentation of all their products. They also have very wide coverage. Across Africa.

We also went to felicitys main office in okota. They have a workshop filled to overflowing. Whether that is a good sign or not depends on you.

It's a good sign, at least it shows their after sales services is not just on the paper.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by viperVIP: 10:24pm On Mar 22, 2023
grin cheesy. Okk I will do just that.
Thank you

ojesymsym:
Sir, reading this explanation now contradicts the impression I got from the main post.

If you had not explained with this post, I was tempted to believe that you agreed with him and you were sharing the info with us.

I was almost believing his position, perhaps you should find a way to edit that post so that folks understand that you do not agree with what he said.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by viperVIP: 10:31pm On Mar 22, 2023
Sorry I'll have to mention this, I once dealt with Keye, they are very fast and prompt with repairs FOC, but ensure you don't connect their inverters to grid or else it will go bad in few days. I repaired more than 4 inverters before I found out, no matter the SPD you use, it won't make a difference. Their solar lights, error!

For Felicity, I bought 2 units of their 175w solar panels yesterday for a small back up project, I also bought the Elejoy 800W solar panel multimeter to measure the maximum power output of the panels, I was able to get 101w from 175w at the peak of the sun. That's horrible if I'm asked, huge waste of space. Do anyone else has this experience?

GloriousGbola:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 10:59pm On Mar 22, 2023
GloriousGbola:

Lollll... At bolded. I shock too when I went there, but then considering that that workshop may be covering the whole of lagos and environs, I wouldn't be too surprised.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 11:04pm On Mar 22, 2023
viperVIP:
Sorry I'll have to mention this, I once dealt with Keye, they are very fast and prompt with repairs FOC, but ensure you don't connect their inverters to grid or else it will go bad in few days. I repaired more than 4 inverters before I found out, no matter the SPD you use, it won't make a difference. Their solar lights, error!

For Felicity, I bought 2 units of their 175w solar panels yesterday for a small back up project, I also bought the Elejoy 800W solar panel multimeter to measure the maximum power output of the panels, I was able to get 101w from 175w at the peak of the sun. That's horrible if I'm asked, huge waste of space. Do anyone else has this experience?

I don't know how that Pv metre works and I'll really like to lay hands on one to play with... But go the manual route, short circuit the PV and measure the current with a clamp then compare it with the Isc value on the label, also chexk for the voltage from the both leads from the module and compare with the label Voc values... Thats how I have been testing panels all this while.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oloet: 11:49pm On Mar 22, 2023
GloriousGbola:

In my old place, one weekend a security guard connected an iron to the ups carrying the office oracle server. angry

Olago! cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 2:34am On Mar 23, 2023
earthrealm:

You need to...
So the inverter inbuilt overload protector serves as plan b.
Buy the resettable type, so you can set the passtru current to jive with 70% capacity.

Gbam
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 2:37am On Mar 23, 2023
mangolpupa:

Thanks boss. Any resettable brand you can recommend?

Another thing is how will be resettable w regulator deal with surge demands. I guess technical spec will be able to tell avr response time .

Tomzn AVR/Current limiter - 10k
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 2:38am On Mar 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

In my old place, one weekend a security guard connected an iron to the ups carrying the office oracle server. angry

Wahala wahala wahala
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 2:42am On Mar 23, 2023
Trippledots:

I don't know how that Pv metre works and I'll really like to lay hands on one to play with... But go the manual route, short circuit the PV and measure the current with a clamp then compare it with the Isc value on the label, also chexk for the voltage from the both leads from the module and compare with the label Voc values... Thats how I have been testing panels all this while.

Is this a good idea. Won't you be causing any damage by engaging shortcircuit.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 2:45am On Mar 23, 2023
When it comes to this issue of warranty. I tell you this many people exaggerate this thing. I will be talking from someone who have experienced both side as an installer and an end user.
Let me start from comparing with the big name. It simple business and mathematics. I sell a product for you 5 times the original price and give you a one year or 3 year warranty. Inside your price I have already factored prices of spare part for at least twice during your warranty period. It means if u claim warranty twice during warranty period, it's as good as you paid for it. You should also expect quality materials after spending that amount of money. Check the prices for the victrons, deye for reference.

Secondly I want to tell you some end users are careless. We abuse products in this country, many houses don't even have earth cable in their wiring, some are In areas prone to low or high voltages and many more problems that doesn't concern the manufacturer.

Thirdly many end users don't protect their equipments, and some of them are even aware that they are prone to certain anomalies in their area, like low voltage, high voltage, lightening strike, short circuits etc
It's hard to give warranty in these situations.

We give warranty for our products when it ls related to factory error issues. Something like fans, temperature (thermostat) issues, screens, silly error codes, and anything that doesn't have to do with the user. Etc we are distributors and there are certain claims we can make that would easily fly. We are not the manufacturer of these products.

We won't give you warranty for blown MOSFETs, blown fuses or anything that is related to over current or over voltage. We won't fix for free.

But sometimes there can exceptions if the repairs are Minor, we could fix for free even if you voided warranty. It happens but not everytime.

Yes sometimes we fix Minor issues for free.

abunafiu's inverter was fixed under warranty.

Another guy here had a temperature (thermostat) related issues that was fixed under warranty.

There's someone with touchpad related issue, he didn't send it down cos no backup inverter so we sent him another touchpad to fix at his convenience.

We replace/fix anything that is not user related. We even replace solar accessories ranging from avr's, ATS, timers etc as far as we can see it's factory related.

While there are some people, they damage MOSFETs anyhw. I remember one of valto's client that overloaded one of our 3.5kva hybrid. man destroyed both inverter and BMS. We didn't fix for free but he's fine now. I would say he learnt his lessons.

Bottom line is treat your inverters as very delicate, protect it with all necessary devices and observe your environment for abuse of inverter. Take this seriously especially if you use hybrids. Hybrids have the worst inbuilt protections so you have to protect them externally. get a servo stab if you have to, if you can't then use the 10k to 15k avr's. Once it's damaged u replace it

Sometimes you never know, like one of my oga at the top just posted he caught someone loading 1000w on his 1.5kva.
Also watch out for bad and cheap chinko chargers. All those your neighbors coming to charge phones especially for people like me that have dedicated socket for them outside where they don't need to knock before plugging their extensions.

7 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 7:09am On Mar 23, 2023
zeestone99:

If the practice works then fine, I was at colleagues place where his PV cable was short circuit for more than 2 weeks. I separated the cable and tested the PV and they work.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temi4fash(m): 10:32am On Mar 23, 2023
odimbannamdi:

It is usually written on the body of your battery or stated in the spec sheet. Mine is 32A for a 160ah FAT fullriver battery. So, when charging one unit of this battery, I will want to ensure that the combined charge current from the charging source(s) does not exceed 32A. I don't know whether this rate would remain the same or double for a parallel or series connections, respectively. Perhaps more experienced folks here can advise.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mangolpupa: 12:28pm On Mar 23, 2023
zeestone99:

Tomzn AVR/Current limiter - 10k

Ok Sir.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mangolpupa: 3:42pm On Mar 23, 2023
viperVIP:

Bros before you confirm you're disappointment with the panel. Can you ensure

1) it's not "backing" the sun and is on an axis that harness sunrise and sunset in your location.

2) if you already have no 1 sorted. Please consider optimising the tilt angle of your panels. This often overlooked factor can mean the difference between generating 100WH and 130WH in the same position.

Try this first before concluding (this is assuming you've not tried it).

All the best my oga.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 5:06pm On Mar 23, 2023
mangolpupa:

Bros before you confirm you're disappointment with the panel. Can you ensure

1) it's not "backing" the sun and is on an axis that harness sunrise and sunset in your location.

2) if you already have no 1 sorted. Please consider optimising the tilt angle of your panels. This often overlooked factor can mean the difference between generating 100WH and 130WH in the same position.

Try this first before concluding (this is assuming you've not tried it).

All the best my oga.

He employed a solar meter to assess the energy generated by the solar panels, so it's likely he found the most suitable angle and sun position to get the best results since the panels are probably on the ground.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 8:18pm On Mar 23, 2023
zeestone99:

No, you wouldn't.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 8:28pm On Mar 23, 2023
Dam5reey:

If the practice works then fine, I was at colleagues place where his PV cable was short circuit for more than 2 weeks. I separated the cable and tested the PV and they work.

If the panels active face was facing sunlight, then I think that was too long to be shorted out. A shorted panel will be pulling max amps over the period of time, and that power will be dissipated somehow mostly as heat which will be quickly reducing the life of the module.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 9:41pm On Mar 23, 2023
Trippledots:

No, you wouldn't.

Ok
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 10:17pm On Mar 23, 2023
odimbannamdi:
60A Powmr MPPT Solar Charge Controller. Comes with a free 1000V 63A double pole original Tomzn DC breaker worth at least 5,000

Price: 61,000 firm.
Resellers/Installers package: Buy at least 6 units on a monthly basis and get rebates of 2,000 on purchased quantity, payable by end of month. Terms and Conditions apply
* Repair service now available

Original 1000V 63A double pole original Tomzn DC breaker

Price: 5,000 firm

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 9:10am On Mar 24, 2023
Trippledots:
https : // chat.whatsapp. com/IF8uZe7e0w1FtDTphHapNp (remove spaces to use the link)

I am working on closing a substantial cache of broken pv panels, just like the last one I did. A couple of people both here and offline have indicated interest for these items, plus I think I MAY not have access to these panels again in the future for some reasons.... So if interested use the link to join the WhatsApp group so I can coordinate things better from there.

Let's go.

Edit: some persons are having trouble joining, so I have put another link. Please try again. Thanks.

Group is still open, you can join.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 10:32am On Mar 24, 2023
Trippledots:

If the panels active face was facing sunlight, then I think that was too long to be shorted out. A shorted panel will be pulling max amps over the period of time, and that power will be dissipated somehow mostly as heat which will be quickly reducing the life of the module.

The End cable melted and short due to fire incident. It was like that for that like as the person didn't separate the end cable.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 11:25am On Mar 24, 2023
ok
Dam5reey:

The End cable melted and short due to fire incident. It was like that for that like as the person didn't separate the end cable.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 11:29am On Mar 24, 2023
JOB VACANCY

If you are situated in Lagos and interested in working as a field service engineer (site engineer) for a solar company. Dm me on WhatsApp asap for the link. I have seen people without prior experience employed, just be a quick learner and have relevant school certificate requirements.
Good luck!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1372) (1373) (1374) (1375) (1376) (1377) (1378) ... (1695) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: scottsland, loluskysat(m), Oshomo12(m), chris81964(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.