Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,860 members, 7,813,937 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (259) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2053116 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) ... (1686) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcci: 1:03pm On Jun 07, 2017
HeartforGod:
Thanks bigrovar.

The cc is Fangpusun 70a mppt with an external display. I have my HT freezer (240w name plate, though my prag inverter displays 1.8a as current draw for the frezzer) connected to it and runs during the day. fans and TVs stay on once my children come back from school.

On the cc, the bulk indicator light stays on all day while the solar is charging and never goes into absorb or float mode at all. my location is PH.

Extra info i can provide is the battery OC voltage stays around 25.0V (6 units of mercury 220ah FLA connected in series-parralel) after night use. I plan on adding washing machine to the inverter but not having the batteries go into absorb/float is posing as a show stopper for me

(

How many hours during the day is your Freezer, TVs and Fans on?
If freezer is on all day, I'll recommend you get a timer switch and control when it comes on and off, say between 1pm and 5pm.

When children go to school is anyone else at home?
If not then on a sunny day it is possible you hit float by 1pm or absorb atleast before children are back from school by 1pm or 2pm
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 1:10pm On Jun 07, 2017
Power pressing iron with ur inverter on a sunny day and confirm the current going into d battery from the cc. If high ur installation is OK. If low, then do the following.
change ur panel configuration to 2*3 so that ur PV voltage is 50v-70v max. Unlike Epsolar, Fangpusun works best when PV input voltage to cc is twice battery voltage.
-if changing to 2*3, use 16mm and above flexible cable.
HeartforGod:
Thanks Earthrealm,

My batteries are still performing fine and they are 220ah mercury tubular FLA (15.8kwh battery size). The distance from pv to cc is about 35ft completed with 10mm copper cable. Also, cc is connected to the battery busbar with 2 metre long 25mm fine stranded copper cable.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by HeartforGod: 2:54pm On Jun 07, 2017
Thanks DMerciful,

I can do that but getting required length of 16mm copper cable to reconfigure the setup can bore a serious hole in my pocket. grin

I was considering building a rack to elevate the panels to have a tilt of about 10 - 15 degrees. With this, i may get better harvest and also there will be free flow of air around the panels, thus keeping them cool. What do you think? Wind force on panels during torrential rain is my only fear.

DMerciful:
Power pressing iron with ur inverter on a sunny day and confirm the current going into d battery from the cc. If high ur installation is OK. If low, then do the following.
change ur panel configuration to 2*3 so that ur PV voltage is 50v-70v max. Unlike Epsolar, Fangpusun works best when PV input voltage to cc is twice battery voltage.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 2:58pm On Jun 07, 2017
HeartforGod:
Thanks bigrovar.

The cc is Fangpusun 70a mppt with an external display. I have my HT freezer (240w name plate, though my prag inverter displays 1.8a as current draw for the frezzer) connected to it and runs during the day. fans and TVs stay on once my children come back from school.

On the cc, the bulk indicator light stays on all day while the solar is charging and never goes into absorb or float mode at all. my location is PH.

Extra info i can provide is the battery OC voltage stays around 25.0V (6 units of mercury 220ah FLA connected in series-parralel) after night use. I plan on adding washing machine to the inverter but not having the batteries go into absorb/float is posing as a show stopper for me

(
Have you ever connected that controller to a PC before?
secondly. when you are home and on a sunny clear sky day.. say around 12pm when solar harvest should be at pick not down the following. The PV watt i.e the watt being generated from the PV and the PV voltage. Since the controller would (as u stated) be in bulk, it means it would be using all power from the pv in charging the battery. It would help to know the mppt pull down voltage of the controller.That would help in determining how optimal the cc is working. My system pull down voltage stays at around 48v (for the 45/150 fangpusun, and 50v for the 50/100 fangpusun)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by HeartforGod: 3:04pm On Jun 07, 2017
Thanks mcci for your suggestion.

The freezer is on timer (9am - 17pm), and TV with decode (about 64w), Binatone fans (65w each, atleast 2 stays ON) and LED lights all come ON from about 2:30pm till 9pm. More LED and energy saver lights come ON as dusk approaches. Reducing the panel tilt to about 15degrees is strongly on my mind but don't if that improve my harvest.

mcci:

How many hours during the day is your Freezer, TVs and Fans on?
If freezer is on all day, I'll recommend you get a timer switch and control when it comes on and off, say between 1pm and 5pm.

When children go to school is anyone else at home?
If not then on a sunny day it is possible you hit float by 1pm or absorb atleast before children are back from school by 1pm or 2pm
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 3:53pm On Jun 07, 2017
6° tilt towards south is d optimum angle and I do not think urs is from d angle. U can manage ur current harvest until u're bouyant to handle d change but that's not d first action I gave.....u need to confirm first with a huge load on d system.
HeartforGod:
Thanks DMerciful,

I can do that but getting required length of 16mm copper cable to reconfigure the setup can bore a serious hole in my pocket. grin

I was considering building a rack to elevate the panels to have a tilt of about 10 - 15 degrees. With this, i may get better harvest and also there will be free flow of air around the panels, thus keeping them cool. What do you think? Wind force on panels during torrential rain is my only fear.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by purplekayc(m): 4:14pm On Jun 07, 2017
JUO:
please check the back of your device for proper wattage

CPU 1=95 watts
CPU 2= 60 "
LG LED TV =75 watts
LG LED TV = 30 watts
LG home theatre DVD player =100 watts
LG surround sound player. =(couldn't get the wattage for this guess it should be less than 100)
Strong decoder. = 25 watts
DSTV decoder. = 45 watts
8 energy saving bulbs @26 watts each
Dell monitor= 17 watts
Acer monitor = 30 watts
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by purplekayc(m): 4:15pm On Jun 07, 2017
GeorgeD1:

purplekayc,
could you resend this post with wattage attached to the equipments?
i can only give you proper recommendation if i know the total power demand of your house load.

CPU 1=95 watts
CPU 2= 60 "
LG LED TV =75 watts
LG LED TV = 30 watts
LG surround sound player. =(couldn't get the wattage for this guess it should be less than 100)
DSTV decoder. = 45 watts
Dell monitor= 17 watts
Acer monitor = 30 watts
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:47pm On Jun 07, 2017
purplekayc:

CPU 1=95 watts
CPU 2= 60 "
LG LED TV =75 watts
LG LED TV = 30 watts
DSTV decoder. = 45 watts
Dell monitor= 17 watts
Acer monitor = 30 watts
Bros you are still estimating. Just get a watt meter. It will save you money at least ensure you don't waste money. When starting solar. It's important to get your sizing just right. Everything depends on your consumption. Number of battery depth of discharge number of panels size of inverter. And you have to be as close as possible. Checking name plate ratings just aren't reliable. There is no way a sound system uses 100w unless you are using it in a night club or one from 1982. Contact Juo or Frank for a watt meter you will be glad you did.
purplekayc:

CPU 1=95 watts
CPU 2= 60 "
LG LED TV =75 watts
LG LED TV = 30 watts
DSTV decoder. = 45 watts
Dell monitor= 17 watts
Acer monitor = 30 watts

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:47pm On Jun 07, 2017
purplekayc:

CPU 1=95 watts
CPU 2= 60 "
LG LED TV =75 watts
LG LED TV = 30 watts
DSTV decoder. = 45 watts
Dell monitor= 17 watts
Acer monitor = 30 watts
Bros you are still estimating. Just get a watt meter. It will save you money at least ensure you don't waste money. When starting solar. It's important to get your sizing just right. Everything depends on your consumption. Number of battery depth of discharge number of panels size of inverter. And you have to be as close as possible. Checking name plate ratings just aren't reliable. There is no way a sound system uses 100w unless you are using it in a night club or one from 1982. Contact Juo or Frank for a watt meter you will be glad you did.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nene2016(m): 8:02pm On Jun 07, 2017
HeartofGod,

Were you able to give the bolded a shot?

DMerciful:
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 9:49pm On Jun 07, 2017
HeartforGod:
Thanks mcci for your suggestion.

The freezer is on timer (9am - 17pm), and TV with decode (about 64w), Binatone fans (65w each, atleast 2 stays ON) and LED lights all come ON from about 2:30pm till 9pm. More LED and energy saver lights come ON as dusk approaches. Reducing the panel tilt to about 15degrees is strongly on my mind but don't if that improve my harvest.

Hello, ur panels have no air flow under them, hope u know that they get very hot? Once the temp is that high, there is a large drop in the efficiency (silicon prefer cold temp). In ur case, the heat generated at the back of the panels have very little space to escape, so it goes back up to heatup the panels. That's one of the reasons u re getting about 50% of ur total panel wattage. Again ur tilt angle at about 30 is a little high, around 14-10 is ok. 10mm for 35ft is ok for a voltage higher than 80 v. Do this corrections and don't forget to send me a cake!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by HeartforGod: 11:45pm On Jun 07, 2017
Oshomo12:

Hello, ur panels have no air flow under them, hope u know that they get very hot? Once the temp is that high, there is a large drop in the efficiency (silicon prefer cold temp). In ur case, the heat generated at the back of the panels have very little space to escape, so it goes back up to heatup the panels. That's one of the reasons u re getting about 50% of ur total panel wattage. Again ur tilt angle at about 30 is a little high, around 14-10 is ok. 10mm for 35ft is ok for a voltage higher than 80 v. Do this corrections and don't forget to send me a cake!

Thanks Oshomo for the suggestion. I will do just that. And will also carry out load test on the panels as gurus in the house did suggest.
NB: the cake is currently baking
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by HeartforGod: 11:47pm On Jun 07, 2017
nene2016:
HeartofGod,

Were you able to give the bolded a shot?

Hi Nene. I plan on doing that tomorrow.

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:50am On Jun 08, 2017
HeartforGod:

Thanks Oshomo for the suggestion. I will do just that. And will also carry out load test on the panels as gurus in the house did suggest.
NB: the cake is currently baking

ooh, i didnt get that part -- so his panels are flat on the roof?..
if so thats a bad idea like the poster above stated, get a local welder to fabricate a short rack for you, using angle iron, if you have a fair bit of trignometry, you can calculate the height of the legs to help you achieve an angle closer to 10/15 deg inclination,---- ie make the front or hind legs of the rack shorter or longer as the case may be, the legs shudnt exceed 12inchies to avoid instability and wind factors
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by HeartforGod: 11:12am On Jun 08, 2017
Thanks Earthrealm.

Am already doing my rough calculations and i see to get about 10 degrees will require a hind leg of about 2.9 ft but obviously that will introduce instability. So, am thinking of using 1.5 ft (18inches) and then ensure sufficient number of legs (securely bolted) under the panels to bring stability and rule out wind factor. Current production from the array at the moment (11:10am) is roughly 820w (bright sky, cc in bulk mode, battery OCV at 06:30am was 25.1V). Total production for 11:10am is 2kwh.

Appliances On at the moment are 240w HT freezer, 40w TV, 24w Decode, one 65w Fan

earthrealm:

if so thats a bad idea like the poster above stated, get a local welder to fabricate a short rack for you, using angle iron, if you have a fair bit of trignometry, you can calculate the height of the legs to help you achieve an angle closer to 10/15 deg inclination,---- ie make the front or hind legs of the rack shorter or longer as the case may be, the legs shudnt exceed 12inchies to avoid instability and wind factors
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 2:17pm On Jun 08, 2017
Flat panel mounting for places on d equator is about d best fyi however a little inclination for ours of 6° facing south balances out our 6° offset towards North. Also that 6° inclination provides a washing angle that ensures d rain cleans ur panels. While flat is better along d equator is cos the Sun moves from Capricorn to Cancer(South to North) every 6 months, flat orientation captures both ends
earthrealm:

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2017

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 3:58pm On Jun 08, 2017
DMerciful:
Flat panel mounting for places on d equator is about d best fyi however a little inclination for ours of 6° facing south balances out our 6° offset towards North. Also that 6° inclination provides a washing angle that ensures d rain cleans ur panels. While flat is better along d equator is cos the Sun moves from Capricorn to Cancer(South to North) every 6 months, flat orientation captures both ends

hello, I agree with ur words, but the issue here is that these particular panels lie flat on the roof with no or very little air flow under them. so they will get very hot, and reduce the efficiency to about 50%.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ola28: 4:08pm On Jun 08, 2017
VICTRON BLUE SOLAR MPPT 100/50 Charge Controller - Model: 12/24 V - 50A + Controller BMV 700 - Model:

Victron Battery Monitors BMV-700 / BMV-702 Dual Bank are high precision battery monitors from Victron Energy. The essential function of a battery monitor is to calculate ampere-hours consumed and the state of charge of a battery. Ampere-hours consumed are calculated by integrating the current flowing in or out of the battery.

The remaining battery capacity depends on the ampere-hours consumed, discharge current, temperature and the age of the battery. Complex software algorithms are needed to take all these variables into account.

Next to the basic display options, such as voltage, current, and ampere-hours consumed, the BMV-700 series also displays state of charge, time to go, and power consumption in Watts.

Easy to install: All electrical connections are to the quick connect PCB on the current shunt. The shunt connects to the monitor with a standard RJ12 telephone cable. Included RJ 12 cable (10m) and battery cable with fuse (2m); no other components needed.

PRICE FOR BOTH @130K

PLS CALL 09057285592

THANKS

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2017
If you want to increase the space between panels n roof.....use standard solar mounts. Angle is different from spacing cheesy
Oshomo12:

hello, I agree with ur words, but the issue here is that these particular panels lie flat on the roof with no or very little air flow under them. so they will get very hot, and reduce the efficiency to about 50%.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 5:46pm On Jun 08, 2017
DMerciful:
All

Contact me for the following products

40A 12/24v output 100v solar input MPPT Epever-65k
50A 12/24v output 100v solar input MPPT Fangpusun blue controller with display-70k
60A 12/24/36/48/60V output 150v solar input Fanfpusun controller-160k
12/24V battery balancer-14k

see my signature for contact details

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 6:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
DMerciful:
If you want to increase the space between panels n roof.....use standard solar mounts. Angle is different from spacing cheesy
Bros I hail o. I am sure u did not read thru my whole suggestions. Spacing one of the Reasons..... There is anoda part I talked about. Thank u.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 7:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
Space will create gap for airflow besides power loss due to temp is than 5%. While u may loose as much as 40% with wrong angles
Oshomo12:

Bros I hail o. I am sure u did not read thru my whole suggestions. Spacing one of the Reasons..... There is anoda part I talked about. Thank u.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 9:30pm On Jun 08, 2017
DMerciful:
Space will create gap for airflow besides power loss due to temp is than 5%. While u may loose as much as 40% with wrong angles
I will disagree with u on this(less than 5%?). The experiment I carried out shows otherwise. I had two panels flat on the roof, with very little airflow. Between 12:30 and 1:00pm I was getting max of 9.4 amps. These panels should give me nothing less than 14amps( though the angle was around 26deg). I check d temp under the panels, it was very high. What I did was that I have my water pump connected to hoss, and I showered it on panels and the surrounding roof. This last for about 3mins, when I got inside to check the current I was pulling, I could see around 14.7amps! After some time, it went back to around 10 amps. This is what I observed, I want to believe that is more than 5%. The only thing I did was just to cool them down.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 9:33pm On Jun 08, 2017
ola28:
VICTRON BLUE SOLAR MPPT 100/50 Charge Controller - Model: 12/24 V - 50A + Controller BMV 700 - Model:

Victron Battery Monitors BMV-700 / BMV-702 Dual Bank are high precision battery monitors from Victron Energy. The essential function of a battery monitor is to calculate ampere-hours consumed and the state of charge of a battery. Ampere-hours consumed are calculated by integrating the current flowing in or out of the battery.

The remaining battery capacity depends on the ampere-hours consumed, discharge current, temperature and the age of the battery. Complex software algorithms are needed to take all these variables into account.

Next to the basic display options, such as voltage, current, and ampere-hours consumed, the BMV-700 series also displays state of charge, time to go, and power consumption in Watts.

Easy to install: All electrical connections are to the quick connect PCB on the current shunt. The shunt connects to the monitor with a standard RJ12 telephone cable. Included RJ 12 cable (10m) and battery cable with fuse (2m); no other components needed.

PRICE FOR BOTH @130K

PLS CALL 09057285592

THANKS

Very nice price for the combination.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 10:27pm On Jun 08, 2017
How did you keep the luminosity (around 1000w/m^2) constant? Even without pouring water, amps rises and falls based on the luminosity which is influenced by clouds you may not even see! If the difference is this much u would have seen water cooled panels grin
Try watch u cc display for 1hours and see how current rises from 30%-80%-50% and back to 30%. When there's reduction in d luminosity, d cc tracks d max power point and you see the current fluctuating upandan grin
Oshomo12:

I will disagree with u on this(less than 5%?). The experiment I carried out shows otherwise. I had two panels flat on the roof, with very little airflow. Between 12:30 and 1:00pm I was getting max of 9.4 amps. These panels should give me nothing less than 14amps( though the angle was around 26deg). I check d temp under the panels, it was very high. What I did was that I have my water pump connected to hoss, and I showered it on panels and the surrounding roof. This last for about 3mins, when I got inside to check the current I was pulling, I could see around 14.7amps! After some time, it went back to around 10 amps. This is what I observed, I want to believe that is more than 5%. The only thing I did was just to cool them down.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 5:48am On Jun 09, 2017
DMerciful:
How did you keep the luminosity (around 1000w/m^2) constant? Even without pouring water, amps rises and falls based on the luminosity which is influenced by clouds you may not even see! If the difference is this much u would have seen water cooled panels grin
Try watch u cc display for 1hours and see how current rises from 30%-80%-50% and back to 30%. When there's reduction in d luminosity, d cc tracks d max power point and you see the current fluctuating upandan grin

Lol.
There was no cloud cover my brother! I have watched this cc for weeks around that same time (done my experiment in February, peak of the heat at my side). That was the highest current seen so far(9.4amps, even with a resistive load on, eg iron) before I decided to carry out the test. Never saw that current again(14.7 amps), after my experiment( still within same period). Until I gave some space, very good spacing I mean, between the roof and the panel. cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 5:53am On Jun 09, 2017
@DMerciful
Anyways, u are correct I am wrong. Maybe I don't know what I am doing, but that is what I have observed and reported. Thank u for ur time.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 5:54am On Jun 09, 2017
In trying to give spacing did you change the angle?From ur experiment, you are saying when you increased d spacing or water cooled d panels u got about 40% increase(9.4 to 14.7 thereabout), in other words roof mounted panels with no space losses 40% harvest! How possible is that?
Oshomo12:

Lol.
There was no cloud cover my brother! I have watched this cc for weeks around that same time (done my experiment in February, peak of the heat at my side). That was the highest current seen so far(9.4amps, even with a resistive load on, eg iron) before I decided to carry out the test. Never saw that current again(14.7 amps), after my experiment( still within same period). Until I gave some space, very good spacing I mean, between the roof and the panel. cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 6:01am On Jun 09, 2017
Going emotional cry. Like I said temperature affects but around 5% and not 40%.My panels are mounted on d fence with all d airflow possible but then I have compared my harvest with guys of same capacity installed on d roof and d difference is marginal.
Oshomo12:
@DMerciful
Anyways, u are correct I am wrong. Maybe I don't know what I am doing, but that is what I have observed and reported. Thank u for ur time.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 6:09am On Jun 09, 2017
DMerciful:
In trying to give spacing did you change the angle?
I wanted to initially, but my roof was steep( I feared the wind issue, so I stopped). What I should be getting from the panel should be around 17.9 amps @ around 7-9 deg. But after I factored in the losses due to the angle, I should have about 13-14 amps. But never got that, as in never saw it once!
After the test, I decided to give good spacing, the angle reduced by just 6 ie from 26 to 20 deg. I get around 13.5~13.9 amps now, never saw 14.7 amps again. So I ve decided never to use roof mounting for my panels again, cos my target is to get around 3000 watts of panels. So ground mount is what I will do now.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) ... (1686) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: abbey, mctfopt, Mrreed(m), obinna37(m), adamix(m), Valentinooo, cybaj09 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.