Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,351 members, 7,812,003 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (382) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2049619 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) ... (1684) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 4:44pm On Apr 02, 2018
That's our number 6 Gas Station.

100% Solar powered. No single connection to National grid.

90-110KW from Station 1-6 in different parts of Lagos
Gennex batteries
Gennex Hybrid Inverters
Gennex Solar Panels

The panels are always placed on the forecourt Canopy

8 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2018
sinistrian:
Very little sunshine here too. I was waiting to boast of the stats generated by my morningstar angry
Anyway, the only thing i can say for now is that the MPPT sweep is very very fast - like once a minute, you wont even notice it. No more starting from zero like the Fangpusun 150/70.

@sinistrian

Can you throw more light on the bolded. I thought it is also MPPT and a Victron Clone? Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 6:37pm On Apr 02, 2018
babaegun:

@sinistrian

Can you throw more light on the bolded. Thanks.
Compare the two graphs below. The frequency of the troughs show how often the sweep is done, while the the depth/width of the troughs in the graph indicate how far it fell and how long it took to get back to Vmp.

The first one is the fangpusun with intermittent clouds passing over. Whenever it's overcast, the controller drops output and then starts hunting for the max power point. There is an annoying one around 2pm where it took a long time to get its wits together.

The second graph is for the tristar (low power output in the morning cos we were not home and all appliances were off). The troughs are not as deep/wide and yet they are more frequent, indicating that it detects the Vmp quickly after the clouds pass. This graph is not a great comparison as it wasn't too sunny today. But this result looks promising.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jamzig1(m): 8:15pm On Apr 02, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Well ...... there should not .....

But I think if you are paranoid, or want to go overboard with your protections....

Please let me defer to core power experts like Oga Pranil to talk about this one please - whether or not one still needs an SPD given sufficient earthing/grounding in place.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 8:21pm On Apr 02, 2018
sinistrian:

Compare the two graphs below. The frequency of the troughs show how often the sweep is done, while the the depth/width of the troughs in the graph indicate how far it fell and how long it took to get back to Vmp.
The first one is the fangpusun with intermittent clouds passing over. Whenever it's overcast, the controller drops output and then starts hunting for the max power point. There is an annoying one around 2pm where it took a long time to get its wits together.
The second graph is for the tristar (low power output in the morning cos we were not home and all appliances were off). The troughs are not as deep/wide and yet they are more frequent, indicating that it detects the Vmp quickly after the clouds pass. This graph is not a great comparison as it wasn't too sunny today. But this result looks promising.

@sinistrian

I get it now. That's the advantage of data and long time monitoring. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 8:24pm On Apr 02, 2018
sinistrian:
Very little sunshine here too. I was waiting to boast of the stats generated by my morningstar angry
Anyway, the only thing i can say for now is that the MPPT sweep is very very fast - like once a minute, you wont even notice it. No more starting from zero like the Fangpusun 150/70.

You want to be frustrated by sweeps??

Pls use an ePever;

You will shed tears.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 6:45am On Apr 03, 2018
Auto setting (in Advance Menu but select Mode 0) for Fangpusun flexmax 60 or 80 has great ability in sweeping through your PVs in seconds once it detects a change in PV conditions and does continous tracking without restarting through out the day.

What am not sure it does is limiting excess PV current above rated Amps like TriStar
or simply give off the smoke.

I also discovered that flexmax hates you mixing PVs either by type or size else it determines, calculates MPP which to you may not be true representation of your arrays.

sinistrian:

The first one is the fangpusun with intermittent clouds passing over. Whenever it's overcast, the
controller drops output and then starts hunting for the max power point. There is an annoying one around 2pm where it took a long time to get its wits together.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 8:18am On Apr 03, 2018
makavele:

You want to be frustrated by sweeps??

Pls use an ePever;

You will shed tears.
OMG.. RED TEARS. The worst is the BN series of controllers. I once timed it for 4 minute before it recognised cloud change and perform a sweep.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ATH: 9:43am On Apr 03, 2018
I bought victron smartsolar charge controller 85A( with blue tooth) from Olas28.
Nice guy with Genuine products

8 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sarmtechnology: 10:21am On Apr 03, 2018
I have the charger u looking for 14.6v 5a lithium charger . Call 08163828133
DMerciful:
Order from aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-smart-12v-3A-battery-charger-AC-110v-220v-plug-US-AU-eu-dc-12v-lithium/32597578907.html
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 11:56am On Apr 03, 2018
In fact...who will buy my itracer grin
bigrovar:

OMG.. RED TEARS. The worst is the BN series of controllers. I once timed it for 4 minute before it recognised cloud change and perform a sweep.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 1:55pm On Apr 03, 2018
My tristar seems to be absorbing at 56.8V, where I expected it to be at 57.6 (i.e. 14.4V x 4). The DIP switches 4,5 and 6 are set to OFF-ON-ON for AGM which - according to the manual - should give me 14.4V. Did I get it right?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 2:07pm On Apr 03, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Well ...... there should not .....

But I think if you are paranoid, or want to go overboard with your protections....

Please let me defer to core power experts like Oga Pranil to talk about this one please - whether or not one still needs an SPD given sufficient earthing/grounding in place.

Both are required

Grounding and surge arrestors serve two different purposes while the first is mandatory and involves human life the surge protection is for equipment and used based on the value of equipment protected

Grounding keeps the person safe [/b]by limiting the rise in potential and equipment will see during a lightning strike. It also protects you when the equipment fails due to malfunction or insulation failure from getting a shock while touching the equipment. They also assist in protection operation such as earth leakage detection or restricted earth fault relays

[b]Surge protection
limits the voltage rise seen by the equipment during a lightning strike thus limiting the chance of failure. Please note that surges in normal AC installation can also come from various other reasons such as standing waves, switching of capacitors, autoreclosers, SCR switching so it is advised for costly inverters both AC and DC surge protection is installed

Not to derate MSNPD ( I have several installed without issue) but for smaller installations,( 24 V , 2 KVA etc I would advocate the use of the Chinese version No need to protect a 100K Installation with 67 K surge arrestor

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SPD-DC-600V-20KA-40KA-House-Surge-Protector-Protective-Low-voltage-Arrester-Device/32366452184.html

and Also recently I have come across a Schindler Multi9 available now in the local market which I have installed a month back without any issues ( much easier to install due to din rail)

https:///schneider-electric-surge-arrestor-3274663

do not go by the picture on Konga the actual product looks like this

https://www.schneider-electric.com/en/product-range/61710-acti-9-iprd-dc-pv/

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 2:46pm On Apr 03, 2018
pranil:

See The attached. Combiner Box- Local market - DC MCB - From Seller on Forum, VPD ( surge protect) from Aliexpress. total cost 20 % of Midnight solar - I have midnight solar PV Junction box also and while much easier to work and can combine three ( even 6 or 12 models available) banks this setup also works without issues for 150 V DC unearthed system . If your CC or inverter needs negative eratherd then Midnight solar is recommended ( remember to use use 25 mm2 or larger cables to link the MCBS's to avoid local heating or use a Cu busbar cut into shape .

check my earlier post on the cheapest surge arrestor combiner possible

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 3:15pm On Apr 03, 2018
bigrovar:

Very stupid charge controller I tell you . . . The fact that it drops the power output to zero watts is even more annoying . . .
On a particular day, it took a long time to find the new Vmp (and output was zero watts)
By the time it did, my batteries were already out of float . . .
The computer should had even calculated how long it took to reach absorb (which was just under 5 minutes); yet we had to go back to the 2-hours absorb all over again . . .

#JesusWept !!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by S007: 4:21pm On Apr 03, 2018
Awesome thread. This thread has inspired me to embark on my DIY solar project. Many thanks to everybody who contributes/educates people here.

For people who order things regularly on aliexpress, how long does it take to receive the ordered items in Nigeria?
Is there any issue with customs?
Which freight company do the suppliers normally use?
Is it better to use a logistics company to ship from China?

Answer to these questions will be very much appreciated as I need to get some items for my upcoming solar project.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 5:20pm On Apr 03, 2018
S007:
Awesome thread. This thread has inspired me to embark on my DIY solar project. Many thanks to everybody who contributes/educates people here.

For people who order things regularly on aliexpress, how long does it take to receive the ordered items in Nigeria?
Is there any issue with customs?
Which freight company do the suppliers normally use?
Is it better to use a logistics company to ship from China?

Answer to these questions will be very much appreciated as I need to get some items for my upcoming solar project.
takes minimum of 7 days and max 60 days, depending on the merchant.

They deliver via Nipost and sort out clearing themselves. All you do is to collect from Nipost close to you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 5:34pm On Apr 03, 2018
sinistrian:
My tristar seems to be absorbing at 56.8V, where I expected it to be at 57.6 (i.e. 14.4V x 4). The DIP switches 4,5 and 6 are set to OFF-ON-ON for AGM which - according to the manual - should give me 14.4V. Did I get it right?

Likely cause is temperature compensation (-5mV per cell per deg C)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:37pm On Apr 03, 2018
Yes kwarrect.

The default temperature compensation on the Tristar is -5mv per 2v cell or -0.03v per 12v battery for each 1°C change (increase) in temperature.

The MPPT comes standard with temperature sense cables which I am sure you attached to one battery in the bank.

If your battery temperature reads 32°C, the MorningStar CC will subtract 0.03v × 4 batteries × (32°C - 25°C) so 0.03v × 4 × 7°C = 0.84v from your absorb voltage setpoint of 57.6v. So your batteries will see 56.8v as the temperature compensated absorb voltage

This is very good for your battery health and longevity.

Key to note is that battery charging voltages are set at a 25°C or 77°F temperature reference point and the actual charging voltage needs to be adjusted up or down in line with actual battery temperature changes.

mank1234:

Likely cause is temperature compensation (-5mV per cell per deg C)

sinistrian:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by S007: 8:44pm On Apr 03, 2018
davodyguy:
takes minimum of 7 days and max 60 days, depending on the merchant.

They deliver via Nipost and sort out clearing themselves. All you do is to collect from Nipost close to you

Thanks a lot
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cool318(m): 10:04pm On Apr 03, 2018
Good evening great people,
have been an ardent silent follower of this thread and i need your professional analysis on this project.

I want to construct a Solar Powered (8X8) matrix Led or Higher LED Light bulbs.
The lamp poles will be two in number.
How many panels, the size of the panel(s), What size of battery will be ideal cos i want a single battery like 100amps
to power the two lamps?

Thanks for coming to the rescue
@ niyiomoiyunade, davodyguy, kiekie, pranil
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 11:11am On Apr 04, 2018
cool318:
Good evening great people,
have been an ardent silent follower of this thread and i need your professional analysis on this project.

I want to construct a Solar Powered (8X8) matrix Led or Higher LED Light bulbs.
The lamp poles will be two in number.
How many panels, the size of the panel(s), What size of battery will be ideal cos i want a single battery like 100amps
to power the two lamps?

Thanks for coming to the rescue
@ niyiomoiyunade, davodyguy, kiekie, pranil

what is the wattage, how many hours it will be on, can you dim the LED at a fixed interval or blank to reduce power consumption.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cool318(m): 4:29pm On Apr 04, 2018
pranil:

what is the wattage, how many hours it will be on, can you dim the LED at a fixed interval or blank to reduce power consumption.
Planning to incorporate a Light Dependent Resistor to the circuit design to switch on the light by night fall and off by day break.
Suggestions please , thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:28pm On Apr 04, 2018
am wondering, based on the high cost of a 15kva stabilizer, can one use this device, combo surge protector+under and over volatge circuit breaker?. power is stable in place of interest, usually have good voltage 190 - 220v, need it incase phcn goes crazyand brings this their 370v as they did in my home once, but my wall mount A&E stopped thhe nonsense from coming in

2ndly do we have similar high wattage/amperage device in country/.. dont hv the luxury of the aliexpress 3 to 5wks waiting period

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/40A-220V-adjustable-automatic-reconnect-over-voltage-and-under-voltage-protection-device-relay-with-Voltmeter-voltage/32814028566.html?traffic_analysisId=recommend_2088_5_90158_iswistore&scm=1007.13339.90158.0&pvid=9788357b-dfe7-4995-b0d0-a5920519459f&tpp=1
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 7:55pm On Apr 04, 2018
earthrealm:
am wondering, based on the high cost of a 15kva stabilizer, can one use this device, combo surge protector+under and over volatge circuit breaker?. power is stable in place of interest, usually have good voltage 190 - 220v, need it incase phcn goes crazyand brings this their 370v as they did in my home once, but my wall mount A&E stopped thhe nonsense from coming in

2ndly do we have similar high wattage/amperage device in country/.. dont hv the luxury of the aliexpress 3 to 5wks waiting period

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/40A-220V-adjustable-automatic-reconnect-over-voltage-and-under-voltage-protection-device-relay-with-Voltmeter-voltage/32814028566.html?traffic_analysisId=recommend_2088_5_90158_iswistore&scm=1007.13339.90158.0&pvid=9788357b-dfe7-4995-b0d0-a5920519459f&tpp=1

The one shown does not have surge protection. you can always wire the output of AVS 30 to a power contactor of your choice and route the power through the contractor. This way you will retain the surge suppression capabilities but get the desired power rating

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:18pm On Apr 04, 2018
Oga Pranil.

Please can you shed light on how this would work? Routing power from AVS30 to a power contactor such that the AVS only allows voltage within the preset range while the contactor handles AC loads over 30amps.

Just today I was with a client who got 400v AC through one of his A&E 10kva Servo Stabs - burnt the transformer and board plus he switched it to bypass and blew his Sukam inverter board as well.

I was telling him how an AVS 30like device could help prevent high voltage from frying the Servo Stab in the first place but the 30Amps rating on the AVS was a limiting factor since the Servo was rated 10kva.

pranil:

The one shown does not have surge protection. you can always wire the output of AVS 30 to a power contactor of your choice and route the power through the contractor. This way you will retain the surge suppression capabilities but get the desired power rating
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:26pm On Apr 04, 2018
You need to update the firmware on the charge controller - Processor A (Charge Control functionality) and Processor B (Web Server and Network functionality).

They are currently at v29.1 and v5.19 respectively - I suspect you may still have v3.18 of the web server and networking firmware running hence the issues you are experiencing.

This is one of the areas where MorningStar may improve - bundling their products with the latest firmware already on board - I still took delivery of a new MPPT 60 today serial # 17460085 and it was still carrying firmware from 2012 whereas MorningStar had 2017 updates available.

You will need a functioning serial cable - preferably serial to USB cable to make it compatible with a modern laptop PC.

Go to http://support.morningstarcorp.com/search/?search_product=96

and select the software tab and download all I highlighted below. You basically use the MS Load utility to update the firmware processor A then processor B via a serial connection - a verified functioning serial cable is very important here as firmware update failure may brick your CC and require expert help to resurrect it - I have charged north of 50k to help someone fix a corrupted firmware update before grin

mank1234:
In mine the webserver freezes and thus does not show data until it is reset by powering down and powering up. Do you encounter such issues? If yes, how do you resolve it?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:52pm On Apr 04, 2018
HURRY ! DiSCOUNTED PRICES !!!
CANADIAN 340w Mono panels
340w. N
Solar world 325w mono panels. Made in Germany
..N84,000 (9 units in bulk)
Must Powerstar inverters (VIL series)
1000w 12v. N85,000
1500w 12v. N95,000
2000w 12v N110,000
3000w 24v. N160,000
4000w 48v. N220,000
5000w 48v. N250,000
6000w 48v. N280,000
10000w 48v. N700,000
10000w 48v HYBRID. N800,000
EP ever 40a 12-24v mppt with MT50 ...N
EP Solar (i-tracer) 60amps mppt..... ....... N130,000
Pro solar roof mount set .....N33,000
UNI-T DC/AC true RMS clamp meter.....N22,000
DC voltage led meter .........N4,000
Prag products; 10-150kva (45-270vac input) servo or relay stabilizers
Discounts on all our Prag product online prices
DC breakers 10-63a ....N3-4k
DC breakers 63a double pole....... N7k
USA trojan battery 12v 200a (J200RE) -N130,000 "quantity above 1"
USA trojan battery 12v 205a (AGM) -N......
If you are for AGM SMF batteries :
-kung Long battery 12v 200a N120,000
-Quanta Amaron 12v 200a N130,000
-Mercury 12v 200a N98,000
NOTE: USA trojan sealed agm 6v 315a (L16) battery is now in stock ....... N150,000
Mouth watering discounts on;
-Solarshop Nig products
-Prag products
-Back2back distribution partners
-Luminous products
-Voltron inverters etc
CALL US NOW:
Smartcell global services
Order now 081-350-31951
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 11:01pm On Apr 04, 2018
How do you verify what version is already installed?

NiyiOmoIyunade:
You need to update the firmware on the charge controller - Processor A (Charge Control functionality) and Processor B (Web Server and Network functionality).

They are currently at v29.1 and v5.19 respectively - I suspect you may still have v3.18 of the web server and networking firmware running hence the issues you are experiencing.

This is one of the areas where MorningStar may improve - bundling their products with the latest firmware already on board - I still took delivery of a new MPPT 60 today serial # 17460085 and it was still carrying firmware from 2012 whereas MorningStar had 2017 updates available.

You will need a functioning serial cable - preferably serial to USB cable to make it compatible with a modern laptop PC.

and select the software tab and download all I highlighted below. You basically use the MS Load utility to update the firmware processor A then processor B via a serial connection - a verified functioning serial cable is very important here as firmware update failure may brick your CC and require expert help to resurrect it - I have charged north of 50k to help someone fix a corrupted firmware update before grin

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 12:10am On Apr 05, 2018
Is the version what is shown at the bottom left corner of the image?

NiyiOmoIyunade:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:31am On Apr 05, 2018
I took delivery of two Tesla Smart Lithium Ion batteries. Watch the Unboxing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tuwhLRqsNg

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:28am On Apr 05, 2018
Yes boss.

You seem to have the older charge controller firmware but the latest web server and networking updates.

So most definitely you need to update your firmware.

See the version history and change log below - from v1.1.22 the Ethernet connectivity issues were addressed

Description:

This is the latest firmware update for Processor A (charge controller) of the TriStar MPPT charge controller.
To update the TriStar MPPT firmware, download this file and the MSLoad PC software utility found in the Related Items section on this page. This firmware update contains all fixes to date. Only the latest firmware update needs to be programmed into the TriStar MPPT. Also check for firmware updates for Processor B (networking and web server) – see the related documents section for link. Compatible Models TS-MPPT-30 TS-MPPT-45 TS-MPPT-60 Firmware History

v07

1st production release

v08

Efficiency improvements at all voltages and power levels

v09

Not released to public

v10

Bug fix: occasional reset of DSP, failure to access EEPROM would cause issues with webview/COM access

v11 (xx.0A)

(no info available)

v12 (xx.0B)

(no info available)

v13 (xx.0C)

Provides support for Wind Mode (IMPORTANT: this feature is still in BETA)

v14-v16

Not released to public

v17

Provides support for TS-MPPT-30 controller
Improved Array Current accuracy measurement
Minor bugfix relating to Battery Service Reminder
Minor bugfix EEPROM logger access

v22

-Fixes Ethernet communications issues relating to EEPROM access. Fixes underlying cause of symptoms such as:
Blank webpages (webpage displayed, but no data shown)
Periodic loss of Ethernet communications, both local and remote
Alarm 21: EEPROM communications problem

v24

-Enhanced protection for improper shutdown (battery removal with solar still connected)
-Enhanced accuracy for current offset zeroing
-Updated enable line for gate drive bootup

v26

-Production release containing v24 fixes

v29.1

– test mode autozero fix
– vb hvd disabled in test mode
– split of 100Hz/10Hz tasks to make time & fix resets

mank1234:
Is the version what is shown at the bottom left corner of the image?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) ... (1684) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.