Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,078 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (383) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2049768 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) ... (1684) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 6:51am On Apr 05, 2018
chris81964:
I took delivery of two Tesla Smart Lithium Ion batteries. Watch the Unboxing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tuwhLRqsNg

Exciting
Those betteries seems longer and larger than I thought.

Another milestone Oga Chris

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:17am On Apr 05, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Oga Pranil.

Please can you shed light on how this would work? Routing power from AVS30 to a power contactor such that the AVS only allows voltage within the preset range while the contactor handles AC loads over 30amps.

Just today I was with a client who got 400v AC through one of his A&E 10kva Servo Stabs - burnt the transformer and board plus he switched it to bypass and blew his Sukam inverter board as well.

I was telling him how an AVS 30like device could help prevent high voltage from frying the Servo Stab in the first place but the 30Amps rating on the AVS was a limiting factor since the Servo was rated 10kva.

yeah curious to hear his explanation too, though i dont really need lightening surge protector, as phcn usually takes power during rain storms, its the 370v am scared of, as it seems to be a common error with phcn, as it occurs once or twice a year in my area
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 7:59am On Apr 05, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Yes boss.

You seem to have the older charge controller firmware but the latest web server and networking updates

Thanks boss. When uploading customs settings in my CC, the first attempt usually fails but second attempt succeed. I'm sacred that same may happen with the firmware update (update was through Ethernet not serial cable).

How do I recover from this if it happens? Any fall back procedure to recover?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 8:04am On Apr 05, 2018
earthrealm:

yeah curious to hear his explanation too, though i dont really need lightening surge protector, as phcn usually takes power during rain storms, its the 370v am scared of, as it seems to be a common error with phcn, as it occurs once or twice a year in my area

You can use overvoltage undervoltage protector from aliexpress. They have up to 100A version. It's equipped with delay as well.

It will protect you against your concern but not transient.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:24am On Apr 05, 2018
HURRY ! BRAND NEW SOLAR PANELS !! DISCOUNTED PRICES !!!
SUNSHINE SOLAR PANELS !!
250w mono. N42,000
200w mono. N35,000
150w mono. N27,000
300w poly. N47,000
280w poly. N45,000
260w poly. N40,000
250w poly. N38,000
200w poly. N32,000
150w poly. N26,000
130w poly. N23,000
Contact ;
Smartcell global services
081-350-31951
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:26am On Apr 05, 2018
S007:
Awesome thread. This thread has inspired me to embark on my DIY solar project. Many thanks to everybody who contributes/educates people here.

For people who order things regularly on aliexpress, how long does it take to receive the ordered items in Nigeria?
Is there any issue with customs?
Which freight company do the suppliers normally use?
Is it better to use a logistics company to ship from China?

Answer to these questions will be very much appreciated as I need to get some items for my upcoming solar project.

Hello, you are highly welcome ! You can always reach me if you need to source locally. Cheer's
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:23am On Apr 05, 2018
Hmmmmm - it is strange that your custom settings update via Ethernet always fails the first time around.

The things I would check;

1) Functional Ethernet crossover cable between PC and CC - eliminate hubs or switches in between
2) Your IP addressing scheme - do you use DHCP or fixed IP addresses? I prefer fixed IP addresses - set your PC and CC to be on a common subnet e.g. CC as IP 192.168.1.10 & subnet 255.255.255.0 and PC as IP 192.168.1.20 and subnet 255.255.255.0
2) When you launch MS View
a) First you detect the CC (choose automatically connect)
b) You can then either right click the CC icon or use the menu to launch the 'Tristar MPPT Setup Wizard' and feed the wizard the correct CC IP address to use to connect with
c) Once successfully launched first 'Read TSMPPT' so you are sure you have a firm connection before you attempt to 'Edit' settings or 'Program TSMPPT'
3) Check DIP switch setting number 8 'Ethernet Security' is set to ON.

For firmware updates, it is impossible to do this over an Ethernet connection - only via a serial cable - once you have your cable connected between CC and PC, you can first launch MS View and attempt to 'automatically connect/detect' the CC - then after a successful connect, launch the Tristar MPPT setup wizard (this time choose the 'COM' port ID and not IP address) and attempt to 'Read TSMPPT' - if you are able to read the CC settings successfully then you can be confident you have a working serial cable and secure connection in place and confidently proceed to flash your firmware updates.

Before proceeding to launch the MS Load utility for flashing firmware updates, first close MS View, disconnect any Ethernet cables leaving only the serial cable connected and then restart the PC to release any locks on the serial COM ports.

Please note you use the MS Load utility for firmware updates and the MS View utility for custom settings, data logging e.t.c - both applications cannot be open at the same time else one application already connected to the serial port will lock out the other one and cause issues.

It looks daunting but pretty easy if done right - in case you brick it, the recovery method is still via a serial connection - just that now you would need a sound working knowledge of serial COM port IDs, BAUD rates e.t.c for a direct terminal connection to the CC.

mank1234:

Thanks boss. When uploading customs settings in my CC, the first attempt usually fails but second attempt succeed. I'm sacred that same may happen with the firmware update (update was through Ethernet not serial cable).

How do I recover from this if it happens? Any fall back procedure to recover?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 9:35am On Apr 05, 2018
Thanks once again.

I'm using DHCP. The connection is stable.
I'll see ifbi can get a Serial to USB cable and do as directed. Thanks for cowering my doubt. If it gets bad, I'll contact you for the serial port settings to use to do it directly. I know how to communicate through serial port.

NiyiOmoIyunade:
Hmmmmm - it is strange that your custom settings update via Ethernet always fails the first time around.

The things I would check;

1) Functional Ethernet crossover cable between PC and CC - eliminate hubs or switches in between
2) Your IP addressing scheme - do you use DHCP or fixed IP addresses? I prefer fixed IP addresses - set your PC and CC to be on a common subnet e.g. CC as IP 192.168.1.10 & subnet 255.255.255.0 and PC as IP 192.168.1.20 and subnet 255.255.255.0
2) When you launch MS View
a) First you detect the CC (choose automatically connect)
b) You can then either right click the CC icon or use the menu to launch the 'Tristar MPPT Setup Wizard' and feed the wizard the correct CC IP address to use to connect with
c) Once successfully launched first 'Read TSMPPT' so you are sure you have a firm connection before you attempt to 'Edit' settings or 'Program TSMPPT'
3) Check DIP switch setting number 8 'Ethernet Security' is set to ON.

For firmware updates, it is impossible to do this over an Ethernet connection - only via a serial cable - once you have your cable connected between CC and PC, you can first launch MS View and attempt to 'automatically connect/detect' the CC - then after a successful connect, launch the Tristar MPPT setup wizard (this time choose the 'COM' port ID and not IP address) and attempt to 'Read TSMPPT' - if you are able to read the CC settings successfully then you can be confident you have a working serial cable and secure connection in place and confidently proceed to flash your firmware updates.

Before proceeding to launch the MS Load utility for flashing firmware updates, first close MS View, disconnect any Ethernet cables leaving only the serial cable connected and then restart the PC to release any locks on the serial COM ports.

Please note you use the MS Load utility for firmware updates and the MS View utility for custom settings, data logging e.t.c - both applications cannot be open at the same time else one application already connected to the serial port will lock out the other one and cause issues.

It looks daunting but pretty easy if done right - in case you brick it, the recovery method is still via a serial connection - just that now you would need a sound working knowledge of serial COM port IDs, BAUD rates e.t.c for a direct terminal connection to the CC.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:54am On Apr 05, 2018
One general piece of info for MorningStar users.

The MS View software has a 'control reset' feature which is designed to restart the CC via software - I hear using this feature destroys the CC and MorningStar are yet to fix the flaw.

Indication is to manually disconnect or power down the CC and manually reconnect it to power it back up.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 12:02pm On Apr 05, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
One general piece of info for MorningStar users.

The MS View software has a 'control reset' feature which is designed to restart the CC via software - I hear using this feature destroys the CC and MorningStar are yet to fix the flaw.

Indication is to manually disconnect or power down the CC and manually reconnect it to power it back up.
LOL to think I almost used this function yesterday when I was fiddling around with the settings.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 1:05pm On Apr 05, 2018
I actually had you in mind when I was typing it grin

I was 'in the Spirit' apparently.

sinistrian:

LOL to think I almost used this function yesterday when I was fiddling around with the settings.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:10pm On Apr 05, 2018
efuro:

Exciting
Those betteries seems longer and larger than I thought.

Another milestone Oga Chris

Thank you. They are about 3 feet long. 36 inches. Weigh about 55lbs each. Think about it though. That is 62.5 AH at 48V in batteries. You can us 56 AH of it. Very Impressive. I hope all is well with you.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 2:02pm On Apr 05, 2018
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 2:05pm On Apr 05, 2018
For the developers here, if you want to use @Pranil's weather station to get your temperature/insolation stats, use the API url:

http://api.wunderground.com/api/<your api key>/conditions/q/pws:IABUJA3.xml
or
http://api.wunderground.com/api/<your api key>/conditions/q/pws:IABUJA3.json
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 2:21pm On Apr 05, 2018
babaegun:

@Nonoski
Hi,
How was the upgrade/installation? Do share the good news with us here.
Yes I will.
The Outback Charge Controller and Midnite Combiner box MNPV6 I bought from Amazon via MallforAfrica just arrived yesterday. (I had to wait 3weeks +)

However I will be doing the installation this weekend.

For now I'm doing a lot of literature review, research and YouTube watching of videos coz I intend to do all the installation by myself.

I have tried reading over 140 pages of this thread.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 2:32pm On Apr 05, 2018
Thank you for your guidance in the past.

Am faring well too. cheesy

chris81964:

Thank you. They are about 3 feet long. 36 inches. Weigh about 55lbs each. Think about it though. That is 62.5 AH at 48V in batteries. You can us 56 AH of it. Very Impressive. I hope all is well with you.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 2:33pm On Apr 05, 2018
Haha. See the ZHC balancer in there between the Combiner Box and CC. I have caught you now!!!! One of the people making the ZHC go out of stock on Amazon even till now grin grin grin

nonoski:

Yes I will.
The Outback Charge Controller and Midnite Combiner box MNPV6 I bought from Amazon via MallforAfrica just arrived yesterday. (I had to wait 3weeks +)

For now I'm doing a lot of literature review, research and YouTube watching of videos coz I intend to do all the installation by myself.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 4:28pm On Apr 05, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Oga Pranil.

Please can you shed light on how this would work? Routing power from AVS30 to a power contactor such that the AVS only allows voltage within the preset range while the contactor handles AC loads over 30amps.

Just today I was with a client who got 400v AC through one of his A&E 10kva Servo Stabs - burnt the transformer and board plus he switched it to bypass and blew his Sukam inverter board as well.

I was telling him how an AVS 30like device could help prevent high voltage from frying the Servo Stab in the first place but the 30Amps rating on the AVS was a limiting factor since the Servo was rated 10kva.

see attached. Hopefully clear. You can choose whatever contactor size you need or even bank of contactors since AVS30 can drive a concator coil easily

I have a similar scheme for my house but with a different relay

Same can be done with Aliexpress components ( under/over voltage relay + surge arrestors) more cheaply but like you said will take 4-5 weeks to get them

have you looked on Konga - there is a readymade box for upto 100 AMP - https:///100amps-heavy-duty-surge-protector-3587583

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 4:40pm On Apr 05, 2018
chris81964:
I took delivery of two Tesla Smart Lithium Ion batteries. Watch the Unboxing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tuwhLRqsNg

Congratulations - Welcome to the club. cheesy

Which inverter are you planning to use with it. I am curious about the BMS compatibility.

Also when commissioned please post the numbers of allowed charge and discharge current limits reported by BMS at temperatures above 30 deg c

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 5:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
pranil:

Which inverter are you planning to use with it. I am curious about the BMS compatibility.

Also when commissioned please post the numbers of allowed charge and discharge current limits reported by BMS at temperatures above 30 deg c
Hello Pranil. I might get an Outback FXVR. The Victron works better with the BMS made by Batrium. Once we install I will keep you updated.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 8:39pm On Apr 05, 2018
Buy high quality Canadian solar panel at an affordable price: Rated one of the best solar panel brands in the world. Our inverters are of various capacities. We have quality12v/200Ah batteries with 99.99% pure lead composite. To order, contact KEJI on 081 719 363 61 and info gennextechnologies.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 10:04pm On Apr 05, 2018
nonoski:

Yes I will.

@Nonoski

Great! I love your courage! This place is filled with information. Best of luck my brother.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 11:21pm On Apr 05, 2018
Congratulations Oga Chris.
I just love lithium. Imagine a battery that is happier if not fully charged? So much energy in a small space with 80% DOD.... Lithium ti take over cheesy
pranil:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:53am On Apr 06, 2018
Interestingly there is a [old] school of thought that believes that Lead Acid batteries are happier and last longer when not fully charged because those last stages of charging to get full and top off place undue strain on the battery - they believe in cycling batteries between the 30% to 90% capacity window and size battery banks accordingly - I have seen this view expressed mostly by gentlemen who manage large stationary batteries in industrial settings and batteries in submersibles and submarines e.t.c

Lithium indeed is the way and the future, it just remains for the price point to get to a range where ordinary people can afford it as well as simplify all the complexities of BMS and LVD e.t.c

Just for laughs I included an interesting historical anecdote about the condition of Lead Acid batteries used in a British submarine described with typical British aplomb.

Still firing strong 70 years later...

DMerciful:
Congratulations Oga Chris.
I just love lithium. Imagine a battery that is happier if not fully charged? So much energy in a small space with 80% DOD.... Lithium ti take over cheesy

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:38am On Apr 06, 2018
tongue
chris81964:

Hello Pranil. I might get an Outback FXVR. The Victron works better with the BMS made by Batrium. Once we install I will keep you updated.

Good Morning Mr Chris, nice one as usual smiley . keep us posted ! Cheers

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:44am On Apr 06, 2018
sinistrian:

How much is your DC clamp meter?

Hello Sinistrian, sorry am just seeing this ! A unit goes for 22k, while quantity price (2 units above) is 20k ! Cheer's

Smartcell global services
081-350-31951
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 12:14pm On Apr 06, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Haha. See the ZHC balancer in there between the Combiner Box and CC. I have caught you now!!!! One of the people making the ZHC go out of stock on Amazon even till now grin grin grin

LOL
Yes I saw it in one of your post so I decided to quickly order it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 2:30pm On Apr 06, 2018
Oga Chris.

Congrats on this new milestone.

I wanted to clarify that each battery is nominal 48v? How many cells in series are set to make up this 48v nominal? And what is the nominal voltage of the individual cells that are connected in series to make up one complete 48v battery?

Second is shipping fees - Oga Pranil once mentioned that Lithium batteries are classified as HazMat - what is the cost profile looking like to get these across to Nigeria? Any other hurdles or challenges with customs/clearing?

Third, I somehow got the feeling watching your video that these batteries were repurposed for offgrid use from an EV although they seemed to come packaged like new? Is there scope to get/salvage these batteries still in good condition from EVs and thereby make some cost savings?

Please pardon my many questions - just trying to wrap my head around this Lithium technology thingy..

chris81964:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 4:51pm On Apr 06, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Lithium indeed is the way and the future, it just remains for the price point to get to a range where ordinary people can afford it as well as simplify all the complexities of BMS and LVD e.t.c

in fact for stationary storage applications, it is well accepted fact that future belongs to flow batteries. The lithiums currently cannot exceed 1kW to 4 KWH ratio making them pretty costly for low power demand longer duration applications. While flow batteries have limitless energy storage capacity depending on storage volume available - mainly due to the fact that the fundamental difference between conventional batteries and flow cells is that energy is stored as the electrode material in conventional batteries but as the electrolyte in flow cells.

Questions is will flow batteries development quickly catch up OR LITHIUM remains the king due to EV applications and recycling for the next decade

https://cleantechnica.com/2015/06/21/flow-battery-vs-tesla-battery-smackdown-looming/

https://www.energy-storage.news/news/flood-of-announcements-from-flow-battery-makers

https://redflow.com/
http://www.vanadiumcorp.com/investors/vanadium-batteries/comparison

http://www.uetechnologies.com/

http://www.vionxenergy.com/products/

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 6:50pm On Apr 06, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Oga Chris.

Congrats on this new milestone.

I wanted to clarify that each battery is nominal 48v? How many cells in series are set to make up this 48v nominal? And what is the nominal voltage of the individual cells that are connected in series to make up one complete 48v battery?

They are EV batteries salvaged from a crashed or totaled EV. And the module was removed from the car how I got it. There are a total of 330 cells
Voltage nominal: 3.8V/Cell, 57.0V/Module
Charge voltage cut-off: 4.2V/Cell, 63.0V/Module
Discharging cut-off: 3.3V/Cell, 50V/Module

Second is shipping fees - Oga Pranil once mentioned that Lithium batteries are classified as HazMat - what is the cost profile looking like to get these across to Nigeria? Any other hurdles or challenges with customs/clearing?
They are classified as Hazmat. The last set of Lithium Ion Batteries that I brought in from Europe cost me a fortune to ship. I got raped. These I am bringing in from the US. I will update you when they deliver it to my office in Lagos. They quote sounds pretty reasonable. It is coming by sea. The average shipping cost in the US is about $200 per module.

Third, I somehow got the feeling watching your video that these batteries were repurposed for offgrid use from an EV although they seemed to come packaged like new? Is there scope to get/salvage these batteries still in good condition from EVs and thereby make some cost savings?

They come from low mileage EV. There are many EV with over 300000 miles. So yes they present significant cost saving per KWH.
Caution. This is where a very good quality inverter comes in handy, Or you have incredible knowledge of what you are doing. They don't recover very well from an over discharge and the can explode and catch on fire when you over charge them. A good BMS is also helpful to help balance he cells for high amp draw applications.

Please pardon my many questions - just trying to wrap my head around this Lithium technology thingy..
Keep them coming

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 6:52pm On Apr 06, 2018
kiekie1:
tongue

Good Morning Mr Chris, nice one as usual smiley . keep us posted ! Cheers

Thank you sir Frankie
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 7:28pm On Apr 06, 2018
Out of curiosity, I asked Victron if their charge controller will survive without battery - Interestingly there is no issue even if the breaker trips

I believe Morningstar and EPEVER are known for failures any other which come with the warning not to switch on without battery

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) ... (1684) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.