Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2054795 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (1688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 5:51pm On Jul 10, 2013
George_D: bodejohn,

sukam is a good inverter but don't fall for that marketing gimmick.

unless you're using flooded lead-acid (wet cell) batteries you don't really need any
battery equaliser. however should you need to equalise your batteries at any point in time
you could always do it through your solar charge controller - provided you are using a high
end brand with embedded features like the tristar mppt.

Oga Geroge, the equalizer i am talking about is quite different from the one you explained.
Sometimes the voltage of batteries in a series string can be different from each other.
The "battery equalizer" i am talking about ensure that the batteries are the same voltages to prevent undercharging and over charging.

See more details in at this link: http://www.mygadgetsmall.com/shopping/inverter-and-solar-accessories/sukam-battery-equaliser/prod_360.html
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 6:01pm On Jul 10, 2013
As promised, installation of new equipment.
Porting completed!!!

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 11:24pm On Jul 10, 2013
Prag central servo stab delivered. Power fluctuation damaged one of my 1.5kva inverters so after consultation wit chief george i decided to go the prag way to protect the second inverter. I observed that the 5kva century relay stab i use for the second inverter keeps inverter confused so it does not know when the batteries are full, it keeps charging up till i point the positive terminal got burnt. Thank God it was d cable alone that got burnt. I quickly placed order for my own prag.
OBSERVATION: I Opened the prag guy to see whats inside and to connect all required wires. I plugged it then u need to see the servo motor rotating as input voltage varies so as to maintain 220v output- interesting.
Even at 140v output remains 220v.
Wall mounting to be done later but for now am copying pdozie style by placing the prag on the table.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:09pm On Jul 11, 2013
bodejohn:

Oga Geroge, the equalizer i am talking about is quite different from the one you explained.
Sometimes the voltage of batteries in a series string can be different from each other.
The "battery equalizer" i am talking about ensure that the batteries are the same voltages to prevent undercharging and over charging.

See more details in at this link: http://www.mygadgetsmall.com/shopping/inverter-and-solar-accessories/sukam-battery-equaliser/prod_360.html

hello bodejohn,

i think we are both saying the same thing. the battery equalisation function is embedded in the tristar mppt charge
controller. i don't know if same applies to your own brand of controller though. if yes, then you do not need an
external equaliser for your batteries. but if no, then perhaps you may need to go for it.

p.s: nice pictures there for your setup. however you will need a good battery rack for your batteries. its not too
advisable placing your inverter directly on top of your batteries.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:19pm On Jul 11, 2013
abunafiu,

congrats for finally grabbing hold of the prag. as you may have noticed, it's a totally different kettle
of fish altogether. compared to the relay types of stabilisers that seem to be so common place, the
bells and whistles are hard to ignore.

remember to always put it on 'delay' mode while ensuring the bypass switch is on the 'off' position
for normal operation.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 1:16pm On Jul 11, 2013
George_D:

hello bodejohn,

i think we are both saying the same thing. the battery equalisation function is embedded in the tristar mppt charge
controller. i don't know if same applies to your own brand of controller though. if yes, then you do not need an
external equaliser for your batteries. but if no, then perhaps you may need to go for it.

p.s: nice pictures there for your setup. however you will need a good battery rack for your batteries. its not too
advisable placing your inverter directly on top of your batteries.

Thanks again, Oga George.
I will relocate the inverter away from the top of the batteries.
One more question, i discovered that the dc voltage reading off my fluke meter and charge controller under the same condition is different. Infact it is almost 2volts. You know 2volts in batteries is a big gap in terms of determining the approximate level of SOC. When the inverter says 48.5v the fluke meter gives 50.4volts.
Have you noticed this difference in your sukam? Which of the readings would you rather trust, sukam or fluke meter?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 4:27pm On Jul 11, 2013
uncle Bodejohn, please what make are your charge controllers and how many amps? how many array you have on each (how many solar panels).

With 12 no 250 watt panels what recommended MPPT charge controller I should put (8 battery 48V array) in hybrid charging setup.

Where can i get solar panels and mronign start charge controller?

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:25pm On Jul 11, 2013
bodejohn:

Thanks again, Oga George.
I will relocate the inverter away from the top of the batteries.
One more question, i discovered that the dc voltage reading off my fluke meter and charge controller under the same condition is different. Infact it is almost 2volts. You know 2volts in batteries is a big gap in terms of determining the approximate level of SOC. When the inverter says 48.5v the fluke meter gives 50.4volts.
Have you noticed this difference in your sukam? Which of the readings would you rather trust, sukam or fluke meter?

hello bodejohn,

i'd rather go with the fluke meter readings as against sukam.

the fluke meter is an internationally certified piece of precision equipment. sukam on the
other hand even though a good inverter but i don't think the manufacturers may consider investing in a
precision voltage meter as an economically wise move.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 6:41pm On Jul 11, 2013
fikfik: uncle Bodejohn, please what make are your charge controllers and how many amps? how many array you have on each (how many solar panels).

With 12 no 250 watt panels what recommended MPPT charge controller I should put (8 battery 48V array) in hybrid charging setup.

Where can i get solar panels and mronign start charge controller?

Thanks

My mppt is directly from china. It's a 12/24/48v 50A charge controller with PV input of 150v.

I currently have 5panels of 120watts connected in series on each of them. Each of the controllers can handle about 2400watts at 48v. I got 2pcs for next capacity increases.

I do not know about morining star controllers alhough I have heard its one of the best in class. Oga George can tell you how to source for it.

Oga George, I just wanted to know if you have noticed the difference between a multimeter reading and that of the inverter, I have already made the fluke meter reading my guide.k
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:09pm On Jul 11, 2013
Bodejohn, for how long have u been using those batteries in d picture. What amp hr capacity?. At 30% load, how many hours back up have experienced- with respect to %soc. I need 2 know this so that i can start planning my inverter portability.
Do you mean u connected ur 5 panels in series. Pls clarify stating ur panel specification.pls tell us as well the maximum charging current you've achieved so far @ 48v.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 7:34am On Jul 12, 2013
abunafiu: Bodejohn, for how long have u been using those batteries in d picture. What amp hr capacity?. At 30% load, how many hours back up have experienced- with respect to %soc. I need 2 know this so that i can start planning my inverter portability.
Do you mean u connected ur 5 panels in series. Pls clarify stating ur panel specification.pls tell us as well the maximum charging current you've achieved so far @ 48v.

I have been using the batteries for 6 months now
They are all 150Ah/10hr capacity.
My house load on the new sukam has always been 0% because i have not been running my fridge due to low sunlight in the last one week.
Yes, i have 10 panels; 4pcs of 100Watts and 6pcs of 120Watts. 5pcs of 120Watts are connected in series and place on one of the charge controllers while the remaining are also connected in series and placed on the second controller.
I have not been able to observe the maximum charging current because i have been very busy in the office during the day and there's been a lot of cloud days in Ibadan for the past one week.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:03am On Jul 12, 2013
bodejohn,

ok, there will always be a disparity between your inverter voltage readings and your stand alone multimeter.

i noticed it too with the sukam and even cyberpower. also for those who have the prag digital servo stabiliser,

there will also be a difference in the three readings. however, like you said, its always better to go with

stand alone multimeter readings especially if its a reliable brand like fluke.

in fact most inverter oem manuals will always tell you that there is a +-2 percent difference in their inverter

meter voltage readings when compared to actual values.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 1:25pm On Jul 12, 2013
@bodeohn...just some clarification

could you confirm if you can connect the output from ur 2 diff strings/charge controller to the same battery bank?

or do you hv 2 diff batt banks and inverters that the 2 strings of solar panels are powering?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 2:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
earthrealm: @bodeohn...just some clarification

could you confirm if you can connect the output from ur 2 diff strings/charge controller to the same battery bank?

or do you hv 2 diff batt banks and inverters that the 2 strings of solar panels are powering?

The issue you raised was extensively discussed some few pages back on this thread.
Yes, you can connect multiple charge controllers into one battery bank.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:55pm On Jul 12, 2013
I discovered hat since i installed the prag guy, it now takes a very long time for my inverter to charge. Infaat i have not seen it full. But the batt voltage increases slow and steady.
Just my observation. Is this normal?.
Bodejohn, you have not given the parameter such as vmp, imp etc of ur panels. Kindly do sir.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 10:17pm On Jul 12, 2013
abunafiu:
Bodejohn, you have not given the parameter such as vmp, imp etc of ur panels. Kindly do sir.

Oops, I didn't know you require that much details. It is however not a new installtion, the panels are already on the roof and I am not sure of when I will have time to check those parameters you require.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 10:27pm On Jul 12, 2013
bodejohn:

Oops, I didn't know you require that much details. It is however not a new installtion, the panels are already on the roof and I am not sure of when I will have time to check those parameters you require.
i stand 2 be corrected. The only justification you have for connecting 5 panels in series is by knowing those parameteters.....else you are loosing power somewhere somehow. My self and Chief george had a lenghty discussion abt this and he confirmed this. He even had to revisit his panel wiring. Pls find time and revert pls. Enjoy ur weekend.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 2:42am On Jul 13, 2013
George_D:

fikfik,

i have 12 pcs of 260ah batteries in total. my panels are all 200w each.

for 8 batteries you can start with 4 pcs of 200w panels and increase from there.

Uncle George, where do you get your suntech from or joy panel? can i use a 45amp MPPT for 12 250Watt panels?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 6:30am On Jul 13, 2013
fikfik:

Uncle George, where do you get your suntech from or joy panel? can i use a 45amp MPPT for 12 250Watt panels?
45amp mppt is ok wit 12 by 250w provided ur system voltage is 48v. But why buy 45amp, am of the opinion of u getting the 60amps so as 2 take care of future expansion. Some1 like oga george would have prefered a 60amps plus tristar (if it were available as at d time of purchase). So please buy 60amps and you will be able to handle future expansion easily.
I personally use 10 by 120w joy solar panels, akinade too uses about 20 by 200 or 250w . Prices are a bit pocket friendly. Contact akin and george for price and performance comparison so u can make up ur mind.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 4:13pm On Jul 13, 2013
bodejohn:

@bodejohn,

its always beneficial to take a snapshot of module nameplates which you are installing. that way you have a
record of its specs for future reference. you could even write them down somewhere on your desktop. that way it
becomes useful when you want to expand (add to your array) or maybe when you're overhauling your system. by
that time you won't need to climb to the roof again just to check your panels specs.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 4:17pm On Jul 13, 2013
fikfik:

i get my panels from vitus in lagos. he is at alaba international.

contact him on: 08039644115

tell him warriman referred you

yes, you can use a 45a mppt controller for 12pcs 250w panels, however, like abunafiu told you, your best bet is to use a
60a mppt controller for future expansion.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 4:34pm On Jul 13, 2013
abunafiu,

i must say that your experience with the prag is rather strange. if anything, the usage of the stabiliser
should enhance your battery charging not slow it down. as long as you're getting the right amount of
input voltage into the inverter, there should be no increase in charging times for your battery bank.

try and check your connections and if possible remove the stabiliser from 'delay' mode when connecting to
phcn.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 4:57pm On Jul 13, 2013
George_D:

@bodejohn,

its always beneficial to take a snapshot of module nameplates which you are installing. that way you have a
record of its specs for future reference. you could even write them down somewhere on your desktop. that way it
becomes useful when you want to expand (add to your array) or maybe when you're overhauling your system. by
that time you won't need to climb to the roof again just to check your panels specs.

The only data i need from the panels are the wattage and the Vmp which i already know and wouldn't need to climb the roof to check anytime soon. The current ratings are almost irrelevant because of the MPPT controller I am using. The reason i have 5 panels in series is because my charge controller requires a minimum of 65v to work properly with my 48V battery bank. If you need these figures for any other reason or comparison, i can oblige you when i have some more time by taking the snapshot and uploading it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 5:43pm On Jul 13, 2013
bodejohn:

The only data i need from the panels are the wattage and the Vmp which i already know and wouldn't need to climb the roof to check anytime soon. The current ratings are almost irrelevant because of the MPPT controller I am using. The reason i have 5 panels in series is because my charge controller requires a minimum of 65v to work properly with my 48V battery bank. If you need these figures for any other reason or comparison, i can oblige you when i have some more time by taking the snapshot and uploading it.
65v for 48v?, kindly give me a link to view the spec of the controller. Am glad we are all learning by sharing personal experiences.
@ george ,The charging time i refereed to may be just imagination. And it may also be as a result of the on and off nature of the previous relay stab which kind of confuse the charging algorithm of the inverter.
I only wanted a supporter to attest to if my experience is similar.
I must confess, the prag guy gives me peace of mind. No more power fluctuation.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 6:44pm On Jul 13, 2013
George_D:

i get by panels from vitus in lagos. he is at alaba international.

contact him on: 08039644115

tell him warriman referred you

yes, you can use a 45a mppt controller for 12pcs 250w panels, however, like abunafiu told you, your best bet is to use a
60a mppt controller for future expansion.

Ok, thanks boss. The Morning star MPPT someone offered me 105k for 45A this a good price? and 125k for 60Amp. (no display)

What size of DC circuit breakers should one get? 40A?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:56pm On Jul 13, 2013
bodejohn,

contrary to your assertion, you actually need more than the wattage and vmp of your solar panels.
when you are adding panels to your existing array, then a difference of voc of even 5v becomes very important.
also, not all panels stc values are the same. interestingly also, you could buy the same wattage panels from the
same manufacturer only to find out that these values vary greatly.

my supplier has known me for always been a stickler for name plate values when ordering for new panels. i always
take my time to scrutinize even the finest details.

in solar power, it pays to be detail-oriented!

abunafiu,

with the prag, you could go to sleep knowing fully well that your investment is in safe hands!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:18pm On Jul 13, 2013
George_D: bodejohn,

contrary to your assertion, you actually need more than the wattage and vmp of your solar panels.
when you are adding panels to your existing array, then a difference of voc of even 5v becomes very important.

Like i said before i wasn't adding or changing my panels.
Same old panels, i only changed the charge controllers because of the increase in battery bank voltage (from 24v to 48V).
I will make use of your advise when and if i need to add more panels.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:20pm On Jul 13, 2013
abunafiu:
65v for 48v?, kindly give me a link to view the spec of the controller

Na Chinese controllers me dey use o, if you no mind. smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 10:51pm On Jul 13, 2013
bodejohn:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 11:05pm On Jul 13, 2013
bodejohn:

boss pls send. Even if ur controller is aba made.....all that matters here is the knowledge shared. As chief george once said, 'so far as its working according to specification, it doesnt matter' . Your experience on these chinesse products will definatly make many of us follow u. Lets keep the green flag flying.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 12:00pm On Jul 14, 2013
abunafiu:
boss pls send. Even if ur controller is aba made.....all that matters here is the knowledge shared. As chief george once said, 'so far as its working according to specification, it doesnt matter' . Your experience on these chinesse products will definatly make many of us follow u. Lets keep the green flag flying.

i second that as well...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 12:07pm On Jul 14, 2013
fikfik:

Ok, thanks boss. The Morning star MPPT someone offered me 105k for 45A this a good price? and 125k for 60Amp. (no display)

What size of DC circuit breakers should one get? 40A?

i have a spare one 60amps, i can sell for contact me

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (1688) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: welgate(m), ksmart027(m), Danibestguy and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.