Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2043758 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (1679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 4:01pm On Jul 27, 2013
Thanks,

But.the issue with me is the rains, my battery bank is not that small, I have 450amp 48volts, and my batteries are 6volts Trojan, the good part is that my batteries are flooded, so when I equalise it's should get batter, if I had none flooded I would not take this chances, but the controllers will not show when I run my generator, I always run the Gen just to charge the battery
Thanks

abunafiu:

I have not been able 2 download ur harvest but from george's observation i think u need additional batteries-may be double ur current batt bank and then get few panels. Or u should consider cutting off some non essential load. I am concerned abt ur batteries.
I think d newcomers can take a practical clue from ur situation- pls newbees, read up total green's initial post of how he started. Follow his post up till this moment. Pls note- the everyday rains might have contributed to the drastic fall in output.
I hope 2 post mine 2 as soon as possible- i use my phone more these days.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 7:04pm On Jul 27, 2013
TotalGreen: Thanks,

But.the issue with me is the rains, my battery bank is not that small, I have 450amp 48volts, and my batteries are 6volts Trojan, the good part is that my batteries are flooded, so when I equalise it's should get batter, if I had none flooded I would not take this chances, but the controllers will not show when I run my generator, I always run the Gen just to charge the battery
Thanks

oh yes, ur batt is not that small. Infact urs is 150ah higher than mine which is just 300ah @ 24v. This shows that ur marriage to ur gen set is still intact. I pray God provides 4 u and everyone so u can upgrade. God, i hate that Gen noise. Nice weekend. Cheers.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 7:21pm On Jul 27, 2013
hi,
at 24volts mine would be 900amps 24volts

abunafiu:

oh yes, ur batt is not that small. Infact urs is 150ah higher than mine which is just 300ah @ 24v. This shows that ur marriage to ur gen set is still intact. I pray God provides 4 u and everyone so u can upgrade. God, i hate that Gen noise. Nice weekend. Cheers.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 7:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
Pls house mates, i need to know more. There is a news going on air for abt 3 to 4 week ago about a trade dispute between china and the european union on solar panel importation. My news source is aljazeera english channel. I just heard the dispute has been resolved that china has agreed to adjust to european market forces. Pls, how does this affect us in nigeria- pls do research before u comment. But i pray solar prices should not be affected o. God hear our prayer o.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 8:56pm On Jul 27, 2013
TotalGreen: hi,
at 24volts mine would be 900amps 24volts

wow....thumbs up. I dey ur back sha. My target for 2013 ending is 400ah at 48v. God help ur servant o.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:40am On Jul 29, 2013
abunafiu: Pls house mates, i need to know more. There is a news going on air for abt 3 to 4 week ago about a trade dispute between china and the european union on solar panel importation. My news source is aljazeera english channel. I just heard the dispute has been resolved that china has agreed to adjust to european market forces. Pls, how does this affect us in nigeria- pls do research before u comment. But i pray solar prices should not be affected o. God hear our prayer o.

abunafiu,

personally this is news to me. but all the same i don't think we should have anything to worry about as
the chinese always seem to find clever ways to circumvent these so-called fair trade agreements to their
own advantage and that of their customers.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:45am On Jul 29, 2013
all,

over the weekend i embarked on another set of upgrade to my solar arrays. just in time too in
preparation for the rains. testing/monitoring is still in progress and so far i think despite the
seemingly endless cloudy weather my system is holding up just fine.

also, i finally re-commisioned the second tristar charge controller to take care of the extra power
coming from the panels.

pictures coming soon! cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 10:39am On Jul 29, 2013
about the china/eu/usa solar panel war...last time I heard...Chinese panels were too cheap forcing eu/usa solar panel companies to close shop...as no one was buying from them, cos of the cheaper Chinese models...as you say that china has acceded to their demands...what I understand by this is that the cost of Chinese panels hv been reviewed upwards so as to give the eu/usa panel makers a foot in the door...

not good news at all o
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 11:35pm On Jul 29, 2013
I had an argument wit a friend. He said there exist a device(charger) that can convert 24vdc to 48vdc. He went ahead and said i can use it on my current 24v system to obtain 48v which can be used on a 48v inverter. In the process of d argument, he showed me d stuff. It was an old mtn emerson product.
Friends, what are ur thoughts abt this product. I am aware of d fact dat power input equals power output + loss. Anyone ever seen or heard abt this product.
@chief george, ure gradually hitting d target i set 4 u. 1mva. Pls make me a shareholder by that time o. Thumbs up on ur recent upgrading. Ure indeed a source of inspiration. My wife said 'this man like wahala too much o'. You know she's been following ur installation pictures which makes her laugh at me each time i consider anything like upgrading.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by YoungBrain: 6:13am On Jul 30, 2013
Such converters are typically used to power equipment using voltage inputs
Different from the supply output provided on the installation cabinet.

Using such for an inverter is inefficient due to the losses from each conversion stage.

It is better to sizeur battery bank according to ur inverter dc input
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:44pm On Jul 31, 2013
abunafiu,
youngbrain is correct. it is better to size your battery bank according to your inverter dc input rather than trying to up-convert from a lower battery voltage to a higher one. you gain nothing from such conversion rather you are likely to lose much in terms of conversion efficiency. and since we're talking dc here rather than ac, the losses will be quite significant.

tell your madam that 'no be say i too like wahala oooo!'. 'its just that with solar there is that tendency to keep trying to reap more from the abundant power nature bestows on us daily'. smiley

and for all the trouble we seem to go through accomplishing this, the joys of unlimited, uninterrupted, independent power seems to dwarf it all!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:50pm On Jul 31, 2013
all,
five days and still counting. my system now seems able to deliver much needed power (to critical house loads)
even in the most extreme weather. accomplished without plugging in and without dipping beyond fifty percent
dod! big leap number one achieved!

more details (including pictures) coming soon as earlier promised. cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 8:54pm On Jul 31, 2013
George_D: all,
five days and still counting. my system now seems able to deliver much needed power (to critical house loads)
even in the most extreme weather. accomplished without plugging in and without dipping beyond fifty percent
dod! big leap number one achieved!

more details (including pictures) coming soon as earlier promised. cool

My oga u are wetting appitite, can't wait for the pics
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olarevo: 9:20am On Aug 01, 2013
Hello house, please why is it that no matter how hard I try to post pics on this forum what I get is "Error 413 request entity too large" I have tried several browser and phone but still the same result. Please help me out
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 1:42pm On Aug 01, 2013
olarevo: Hello house, please why is it that no matter how hard I try to post pics on this forum what I get is "Error 413 request entity too large" I have tried several browser and phone but still the same result. Please help me out

Most likely the size of the picture or document you are trying to upload is more than 200kb.
You can re-size the pictures and check that it is less than 200Kb before uploading.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 1:55pm On Aug 01, 2013
TotalGreen:

My oga u are wetting appitite, can't wait for the pics
my oga, kindly post what u think abt my previous post on solar panel prices.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olarevo: 6:01pm On Aug 01, 2013
bodejohn:

Most likely the size of the picture or document you are trying to upload is more than 200kb.
You can re-size the pictures and check that it is less than 200Kb before uploading.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ola80(m): 6:38pm On Aug 01, 2013
Hello House,
Please I need your advice. I operate a cybercafe with 14 desktop computers (with flat Screen monitors), 3 standing fans and 1 ceiling fan. I recently convert my 2 X 24V big UPS (2.2 KVA bluegate & 1.7 kva Maxtor) to an inverter by replacing their batteries with 2 X 200ah Mercury inverter batteries connected in series. But I have not enjoyed it since. I am still running on generator from morning till night because the setup seem not to be able to carry the whole systems for long. Someone suggested building a separate inverter (4kva) to be used instead of the UPS but I believe a solar panel should be more economical and better. Please does anybody knows the type and how much solar panel it would cost me that can carry the whole computer setup. Waiting for prompt replies.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olarevo: 10:19pm On Aug 01, 2013
here are some of my installations pics, i have find it very difficult to post due to the initial size.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 10:21pm On Aug 01, 2013
ola80: Hello House,
Please I need your advice. I operate a cybercafe with 14 desktop computers (with flat Screen monitors), 3 standing fans and 1 ceiling fan. I recently convert my 2 X 24V big UPS (2.2 KVA bluegate & 1.7 kva Maxtor) to an inverter by replacing their batteries with 2 X 200ah Mercury inverter batteries connected in series. But I have not enjoyed it since. I am still running on generator from morning till night because the setup seem not to be able to carry the whole systems for long. Someone suggested building a separate inverter (4kva) to be used instead of the UPS but I believe a solar panel should be more economical and better. Please does anybody knows the type and how much solar panel it would cost me that can carry the whole computer setup. Waiting for prompt replies.
For your whole power needs to be solar dependent, u'll definately need some millions of naira. The good news here is that you can schedule ur hours of cafe operation so that ur inverters(without solar) alone can be useful. How- do u have like 7 or more hours of nepa?, do u operate over nite browsing?. If u have 7hrs of nepa, them a 5kva inverter(aprox 700k naira) should give not less than 5hrs of back up, so ur gen can take it up from there- am assuming you have 100% patronage. Assuming only 4 or 5 out of the 14 computers are used at every point in time, then ur 5kva will give u not less than 10hrs of back up.
If u operate overnite, 7hrs of nepa may not be sufficient except if nepa gives u lite during such period. Your previous inverter experience will make u understand me better.
You need 5kva inverter- 200k approx and 8 pieces of 200ah batt 400k approx if u have 7 or more hrs of nepa daily.
For solar- assuming no overnite operation , you'll need not less 7kilowatts panels, that about 35 pieces of 200watts panels , also u need 3 different 60amps charge controller as its difficult 2 get a controller of over 120amps. Each controller cost abt 125k each while each panel cost abt 80k. You'll also need additional 8 or 16 pieces of 200ah for a robust battery bank because its not guaranteed that d sun will shine every day.: you also need.....::......and so on. My oga 4million will only be managable.
So, u can manage inverter only with occasional generator usage while you save for solar panels. You can pls go tru previous post as most of d questions that u may later ask have already been answered. There are also several websites that have solar system size estimators. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olarevo: 10:26pm On Aug 01, 2013
more pics

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olarevo: 10:32pm On Aug 01, 2013
more pix

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 10:38pm On Aug 01, 2013
olarevo: more pics
Nice one. See if u can make a car park out of those panels by simply rearranging them. Hope nearby trees and roof tops are not shading them.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olarevo: 11:00pm On Aug 01, 2013
panels and inverter and controller before shipping

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olarevo: 11:13pm On Aug 01, 2013
pics of my first charge controller.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by permie(m): 5:18am On Aug 02, 2013
Hi Guru's, with two 120w panels what is the appropriate number of battery bank (12v100Ah)to have and is it okay to add like two 200w panels to the existing two 120w panels and with the added panels what is the appropriate number of battery bank(100Ah) and the rating of charger controller?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ola80(m): 5:05pm On Aug 02, 2013
@ Abu Nafiu, thanks for the prompt reply. It seems I will have to get the inverter. The solar panel option will consume a lot of money.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 8:44pm On Aug 02, 2013
ola80: @ Abu Nafiu, thanks for the prompt reply. It seems I will have to get the inverter. The solar panel option will consume a lot of money.

Youre welcome brov.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Ikiriye(m): 9:56pm On Aug 02, 2013
hi all
am looking at powering an 800ah battery bank at 48v.i meed to know how many 200w solat panel to charge them in 6-7 hours and cost of the panel preferably sharp panel.kindly reply as urgent to ikiriye@gmail.com thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 11:33pm On Aug 04, 2013
Ikiriye: hi all
am looking at powering an 800ah battery bank at 48v.i meed to know how many 200w solat panel to charge them in 6-7 hours and cost of the panel preferably sharp panel.kindly reply as urgent to ikiriye@gmail.com thanks

hi,
to jump in straight, in the dry season my 15 x 220watts solar gives me about 271amps maximum a day, i have 450amps 48v, from my records, so if you do the numbers u need about 45 of the same panels.

my "dive in" facts without long story

happy Sunday
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by purplekayc(m): 1:24am On Aug 05, 2013
George_D: also commissioned the 5kva cyberpower inverter in place of the 3.5kva sukam:
nepa don suffer lol !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 4:06pm On Aug 06, 2013
BRAND NEW INDIAN GENUS INVERTER "1kva Pure Sinewave" FOR SALE .......... 30k FLAT !!!! HURRY : 08135031951

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (1679) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.