Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,297 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2044025 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (1679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by feasy1(m): 5:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
Another 3KW installation in town

PV= 3KW = 30* 100W Du Pont thin film
Inverter= 3KW, Charge controller FlexMax 80 (Outback Power)
Battery= 4* 12.5V 210 AH Sec batteries.
Voltage from the grid has been low to charge the inverter, getting pragrl stab soon.
But thanks to the sun, the system has been operating for three weeks without input from the grid not minding the cloudy days.

Pictures below

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 8:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
feasy1: Another 3KW installation in town

Voltage from the grid has been low to charge the inverter, getting pragrl stab soon.
But thanks to the sun, the system has been operating for three weeks without input from the grid not minding the cloudy days.

Pictures below

Hmmmm, shady details...well maybe when i see the pictures.
Kindly break it down how you are able to sustain 3 weeks without NEPA with such a small battery bank.
youre welcome on board.
Congratulations.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 10:04pm On Aug 06, 2013
very clean setup, congrats

but why "thin film"

Pictures below

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 5:37am On Aug 07, 2013

Pictures below
i was like wow when i finally saw the pictures. Very clean and professional. My observation still remains ur battery bank size. You should consider improving on them. Where did you buy all those gadgets, i have only seen such at UN sponsored solar projects. Kindly post the link.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by feasy1(m): 10:00am On Aug 07, 2013
TotalGreen: very clean setup, congrats

but why "thin film"

TotalGreen, thanks, Yes, the set up is clean, I really do not like cables flying around cos of safety and ethics and was also blessed to have the correct contact/professionals to get the installations done right since I haven't been around for a while.

Why thin film? There is an unproven school of thought that says thin film has better temperature coefficient with Nigerian weather but with the production I have seen you guys harnessed from the sun with mono, I have no doubt they are at par. Would have loved to have thin film and mono side by side and compare the production apple for apple.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by feasy1(m): 10:23am On Aug 07, 2013
abunafiu:
i was like wow when i finally saw the pictures. Very clean and professional. My observation still remains ur battery bank size. You should consider improving on them. Where did you buy all those gadgets, i have only seen such at UN sponsored solar projects. Kindly post the link.

Abunafiu, Many thanks for the comment,
You are right with the battery bank size, I got the battery from senior friend at an higher price because he import them into Nigeria in bits hence the higher cost, I'm considering another array of 4 12V 200AH Zenith since I can save about 30k on each. That will give me about 48V 400AH.

The Outback Inverter and Charge controller was brought in from the US and battery from HongKong. Installation PVC pipes etc, I understand are from Alaba.
The steel work was done by a local welder, materials procured at Owode Onirin.
Thin film panels are from Du Pont, Du Pont has an office in Ikeja but I doubt if they retail, the sĂȘnior friend I mentioned has a collaboration with them.

We will be able to provide this gadgets locally at competitive cost in a few months as we are joining you guys in the solar energy drive.

You mentioned how we have been able to Power the house without the grid for 3weeks, its a combination of not having the full load yet and being energy saving conscious, the main load we have almost round the clock is 240W deep freezer, TV is only switched on few hours in the night, all bulbs except security Light are off when not in use, but having said that, another battery bankb of 200AH will follow to have some days of autonomy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2013
feasy1:

Abunafiu, Many thanks for the comment,
You are right with the battery bank size, I got the battery from senior friend at an higher price because he import them into Nigeria in bits hence the higher cost, I'm considering another array of 4 12V 200AH Zenith since I can save about 30k on each. That will give me about 48V 400AH.

The Outback Inverter and Charge controller was brought in from the US and battery from HongKong. Installation PVC pipes etc, I understand are from Alaba.
The steel work was done by a local welder, materials procured at Owode Onirin.
Thin film panels are from Du Pont, Du Pont has an office in Ikeja but I doubt if they retail, the sĂȘnior friend I mentioned has a collaboration with them.

We will be able to provide this gadgets locally at competitive cost in a few months as we are joining you guys in the solar energy drive.

You mentioned how we have been able to Power the house without the grid for 3weeks, its a combination of not having the full load yet and being energy saving conscious, the main load we have almost round the clock is 240W deep freezer, TV is only switched on few hours in the night, all bulbs except security Light are off when not in use, but having said that, another battery bankb of 200AH will follow to have some days of autonomy

am jealous o. I suggest u consider using the same type of battery in ur batt bank. Due to importation prob u stated earlier, you can sell those batt 2 who ever needs them. Then use the money to buy new ones. For a unique system like urs, 800ah @ 48v should only be ur STARTING POINT and nothing less. Your neighbours go dey envy u.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 1:37pm On Aug 07, 2013
very neat installation...neatest I hv seen on nairaland!!...kudos..

since his charge controller is 80amp..thus max current thru it = 80amps..., using an avg 5hrs daily sunlight...total amperage gained from the sun = 400amps...since his battery bank is 840amps............I wud say this ois ok............provided he doesn't exceed a 400ah to 600ah daily usage
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by feasy1(m): 6:37pm On Aug 08, 2013
abunafiu:
am jealous o. I suggest u consider using the same type of battery in ur batt bank. Due to importation prob u stated earlier, you can sell those batt 2 who ever needs them. Then use the money to buy new ones. For a unique system like urs, 800ah @ 48v should only be ur STARTING POINT and nothing less. Your neighbours go dey envy u.

earthrealm: very neat installation...neatest I hv seen on nairaland!!...kudos..

since his charge controller is 80amp..thus max current thru it = 80amps..., using an avg 5hrs daily sunlight...total amperage gained from the sun = 400amps...since his battery bank is 840amps............I wud say this ois ok............provided he doesn't exceed a 400ah to 600ah daily usage

You are right, the systems should be able to harness 400ah during the dry season. Max is about 190ah daily now. I agree 800ah battery bank is ideal taking 50% DoD into consideration, thats some damage to the pocket, space constraint too,but it will happen, need to part ways with PHCN 100%
Spoke with Zenith batteries supplier,12v 200ah is out of stock, 12v 260ah is 65k. Need local contact for the quality 2v and 6v batteries.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by feasy1(m): 7:03pm On Aug 08, 2013
Just read some old post of akinrinade of the used telecom batteries, seems they are top performers, wont mind an update on this, in the meantime ringing up my Telecom contacts.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:32pm On Aug 10, 2013
feasy1,

wao! i'm reading this for the first time and i must say i'm highly impressed! the thin film is a particularly brilliant
idea especially in this part of the globe where cloud cover seems a year round concern.

in all, abunafiu and totalgreen spoke my concerns but as i can see, you have cleared them all.

congrats and welcome on board.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:40pm On Aug 10, 2013
all,

as promised, here are pictures of my most recent upgrade works.

i sincerely apologize for the delay in posting. i have been up to my

ears in work for over a week now.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:42pm On Aug 10, 2013
name plate: suntech!

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:44pm On Aug 10, 2013
preparing to install:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:44pm On Aug 10, 2013
installation in progress:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:47pm On Aug 10, 2013
inside the power house: begin process of re-commissioning second tristar charge controller.

empty breakers, un-powered second tristar.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:50pm On Aug 10, 2013
begin process of un-tying back and front facing panels:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:52pm On Aug 10, 2013
commissioning the second tristar:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:54pm On Aug 10, 2013
breakers now in place:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:56pm On Aug 10, 2013
the prag servo gratefully at rest.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:58pm On Aug 10, 2013
testing in progress: front and back facing panels now outputting separately.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 4:02pm On Aug 10, 2013
pushing the limits: off-grid stress test in progress.

back panels now pushing out more amps than previously total combined array was giving.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 4:03pm On Aug 10, 2013
front panels coming in closely behind.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 4:23pm On Aug 10, 2013
power cut time: 29 hrs snap shot. went on for about a week un-plugged.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by feasy1(m): 6:58pm On Aug 10, 2013
George_D: feasy1,

wao! i'm reading this for the first time and i must say i'm highly impressed! the thin film is a particularly brilliant
idea especially in this part of the globe where cloud cover seems a year round concern.

in all, abunafiu and totalgreen spoke my concerns but as i can see, you have cleared them all.

congrats and welcome on board.

George_D, you inspired some of us in the background to go out there and make this happen with your posts. Keep it up bro.

Very well done on your new upgrade, I bet you will achieve the 1MW PPP/IPP set for you in no time.

There was ample sunlight yesterday but as at 2pm I wasn't impressed with the 6kWh harnessed, I decided to load a 1Hp AC and the system harnessed the highest kWh yesterday, it crossed 10kWh. I guess that's not bad for a 3KW PV in August.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:10pm On Aug 10, 2013
George_D: power cut time: 29 hrs snap shot. went on for about a week un-plugged.
hmmm, oga george.....oga george.....oga george..... How many times i call you!. New members need not to buy panels nor controllers....they'll simply tap from you online as u seem to generate more more and more than enough..
Wow....you're simply doing it and hitting the 1MVA in a grand style. Keep it up. More power 2 ur elbows.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 10:54pm On Aug 10, 2013
congrats again
very pure harvest

have u considered "Morningstar HUB-1 MeterHub"

George_D: name plate: suntech!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 12:33pm On Aug 11, 2013
TotalGreen: congrats again
very pure harvest

have u considered "Morningstar HUB-1 MeterHub"

In addition, kindly refer to morg star website. There is a larger mppt charge controller now available. It can handle larger systems as its target customers are oil companies. May be oga george and other senior members will be interested.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 4:51pm On Aug 11, 2013
abunafiu:
In addition, kindly refer to morg star website. There is a larger mppt charge controller now available. It can handle larger systems as its target customers are oil companies. May be oga george and other senior members will be interested.

TriStar MPPT 600V ---- interesting, very.
@abunafiu thanks for the update.

my Oga george over to you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 5:54pm On Aug 11, 2013
Oga George congrats. kai my head don skata for north. iam impressed. this one na real IPP. guys my house don bcome chargn point o
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 9:56pm On Aug 11, 2013

Pictures below
Dude ur installation is beautiful.

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (1679) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: isangjohnson, olaztek(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.