Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,815 members, 7,813,686 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:19 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (488) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2052483 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (485) (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) ... (1686) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:51pm On Dec 19, 2018
kiekie1:
DISCOUNTED PRICES! HURRY!!

Canadian 300w mono solar panel .... N62,000
Protek 200L solar water heater... N200,000
With 30k , I can offer you a set of pro solar roof mounts to comfortably mount 4 units of 250 to 350w solar panel's including kits like ;
2 qty solar mount rail "4200mm" ,
4 qty rack end clamp,
6 qty mid clamp,
6 qty L feet with rubber & special screw....
Same goes to angle positioning solar kits;
- Adjustable front leg
- Adjustable rear leg
- Rail splice kit
- Grounding lug

WHATSAPP::: https:///send?phone=2348170385620

*AUTHORISED DEALER PRAGMATIC TECHNOLOGIES*
All our prag products comes with reliable warranty
*AUTHORIZED DEALER INDIAN INVERTERS / BATTERIES ... Luminous PRODUCTS*
All our products come with 1 year Warranty
*AUTHORIZED DEALER SOLAR SHOP LTD PRODUCTS*
All our products come with 1 year Warranty.
For best affordable prices contact,
Simply call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for purchase,fast delivery and waybills .. Thanks !!

Hurry while stock lasts .....
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 3:06pm On Dec 19, 2018
Can anyone tell me something about these inverter.
Thank you in advance. I know is is a Prag 24V. Adjustable current and Voltage? Adjustable LBCO?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 3:38pm On Dec 19, 2018
Prag 24v - between 2.5kva and 4kva.

Has some unusual DIP switch settings on the left side where the battery cables connect to the inverter (you would need the manual to make any sense of these).

Typical mustpower design so the absorb voltage and charge current setpoints are adjustable.

There is LBCO but it is analog - e.g setting the arrow at 50% DoD does not necessarily mean 12v or 12.2v so you would have to experiment till you get the actual voltage you want to cutoff at or limit battery discharge too.

Okay inverter but not sterling in it's class - I only used it once and never again - the general feel and sturdiness or lack thereof did not inspire me especially at the price-point.

One good thing is they always provide thick and long DC cables (35MM at least) as well as very good gauge AC Input L,N,E and AC Output L,N,E cables of substantial length with your purchase - 4mm to 6mm gauge. No one else I know does this. I also hear their customer service is much improved now.

chris81964:
Can anyone tell me something about these inverter.
Thank you in advance. I know is is a Prag 24V. Adjustable current and Voltage? Adjustable LBCO?

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 3:58pm On Dec 19, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Prag 24v - between 2.5kva and 4kva.

Has some unusual DIP switch settings on the left side where the battery cables connect to the inverter (you would need the manual to make any sense of these).

Typical mustpower design so the absorb voltage and charge current setpoints are adjustable.

There is LBCO but it is analog - e.g setting the arrow at 50% DoD does not necessarily mean 12v or 12.2v so you would have to experiment till you get the actual voltage you want to cutoff at or limit battery discharge too.

Okay inverter but not sterling in it's class - I only used it once and never again - the general feel and sturdiness or lack thereof did not inspire me especially at the price-point.

One good thing is they always provide thick and long DC cables (35MM at least) as well as very good gauge AC Input L,N,E and AC Output L,N,E cables of substantial length with your purchase - 4mm to 6mm gauge. No one else I know does this. I also hear their customer service is much improved now.

Thanks a million. I don't work with them and I am trying to advise a friend on if he should keep it or buy a better unit
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceetowl: 7:30pm On Dec 19, 2018
For good and quality solar power inverter and battery of various type from tubular, dry cell, with installation
With Solar Inverter you can enjoy high quality and uninterrupted power supply without relying on public power supply
With solar and power inverter you will get clean and high quality pure sine wave power supply that can last long
You Enjoy noise-free power supply
With solar and inverter you enjoy regulated power supply that protect your gadgets against surge
All the Solar and inverter comes with guaranty.
The Inverter range from 1000Va, 2000Va, 5000va,10000Va etc
The batteries are deep cycle that last long it comes in various sizes,capacity and types. There is 100ah, 200ah for capacity, dry cell, tubular for type.
call 08055918396 to get a quote at rock bottom price.

https://www.nairaland.com/4912115/need-good-high-quality-solar

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:36pm On Dec 19, 2018
Thank you Sir

DUNKA:
How about this one? In use for over 2 years and no issues
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:38pm On Dec 19, 2018
My Oga Dapsyra,

Many thanks Sir.

dapsyra:

Niyi, I have been using this one for over two year in my 48v setup:

[url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-ON-OFF-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-KILL-SWITCH-BOAT-CARAVAN-RV-1250-275-AMP/152639983051?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D63b55e44ced14e53802aba8b83892ec9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D371814840524%26itm%3D152639983051&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851[/url]
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:41pm On Dec 19, 2018
Good evening to the gurus here.

I am completely off grid as my site is yet unserved by the national grid. I have a small living room set-up, DIYed that have served well and is two years old this December.
• Two 150 watts mono panels in 2p config.
• 20Amp PWM CC
• 1000watts BTS PSW inverter.
• 12volt 100 amps AGM battery

This set-up is replicated in each bedroom of the house and the kitchen. The set-ups depending on the location in the house, powers a TV, decoder, solar rechargeable standing fan, USB charging outlets. Along with a 22" TV, the kitchen set-up also powers a 60 watt fridge (230 watts start up current @ 230VAC) and with the exception of the kitchen set-up, every other similar set-up in the house rarely gets discharged below 12 volts (occasionally 11.9volts) by 12 midnight when everyone must have hit their beds.

The highest instantaneous peak current ever recorded is 6amps and a harvest of 210kwh (actually sub-200kwh on most sunny days). Considering the fact that each 150watts panel rated at 8.7amps should output at least 15amps instantaneous in a 2p config, isn't the 6 amps and below always recorded an abysmally low performance?

I recently got a give away deal of a MakeSkyBlue MPPT (20amps, 120volts) and thought of swapping this for the PWM CC in the living room. What re-arrangement/mods will you recommend for the solar panels to use with the MPPT CC? Also, I never used a circuit breaker in any of the set-ups, so can I get away with not using a CB with the new MPPT controller? If no, will a 20amps DC CB be appropriate? After installing the new CC, will an upgrade to 200amps AGM be a worthy investment?

What independent set-up will you recommend for an inverter AC of 1 horse power? I may have to alternate the set-up with a washing machine as needed (maybe twice weekly), so put that in mind also.

I plan to also revive the use of a sliding gate opener hitherto decommissioned since I can't be running the generator all day to power a gate opener that is used intermittently few moments of the day. A wattmeter showed the watt rating of 230 watts @ 240VAC. I tested it with a 12volt 1000watt MSW inverter i have lying around (actually I have two of it lying unused) connected with a 100amps AGM and it worked well. I also have a redundant 600 watts PSW that keeps sounding the alarm at any power draw above 180 watts, so it may not fit well into the gate opener scenario. Considering the high wattage of the sliding gate opener, would you recommend I use a 24volt inverter set-up instead (using two 30amps or 50amps AGM in series)? Will I likely get away with finally using the gate opener with the MSW inverter? The set-up powering the gate opener may eventually be recruited to power an electric fence unit overnight (if possible), but that's under maybe, also keep that in mind.

Please forgive my long epistle. I want to be as explicit as possible. I beseech you to be kind enough to read thru. Thank you Chiefs.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Javid4me: 10:11pm On Dec 19, 2018
This is what i use. It is sturdy and rated to 300amp/48V. I use this on each battery bank before the Battery/Inverter breaker.
Good looking and does the job

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MMC824/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

dapsyra:

Niyi, I have been using this one for over two year in my 48v setup:

[url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-ON-OFF-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-KILL-SWITCH-BOAT-CARAVAN-RV-1250-275-AMP/152639983051?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D63b55e44ced14e53802aba8b83892ec9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D371814840524%26itm%3D152639983051&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851[/url]
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:59am On Dec 20, 2018
Alejob:

Thanks for your response.....what do mean by barebone cc? I own a 30A epever mppt charge controller already....is it a barebone cc.... I'm thinking barebone may mean programmable but I want I learn Sir..... I need to way to charge my lithium battery pack and will consider going for the bms but in the mean time will explore the local available options to me. I exploded a pack already but I know my charging was wrong. I used a lead acid deep cycle charger that can push battery voltage to as high 14v for a 12.6v lithium pack with loose monitoring shocked. But I don't want to wait a month for Aliexpress slow shipping. Regards!

Bro, you simply "sun owó n'íná" (burnt money"wink. I can never have the luxury of having that much 18650s to play around with and not use a BMS with it. I've been stockpiling 18650s and the stress of getting it will make me treat 'em as rare gem, even over-pampered sef, when I eventually start DIYs on 'em.

By the way, d'you have an arc welder, abi how were you able to weld those nickel strips on the cells so finely?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:07am On Dec 20, 2018
Alejob:

Business my brother, this is what I sell! We scrap from where it is not needed anymore and test to sell the best out for profit

I didn't know you gat it like this. Expect my call baba. I'll come to you for some 18650 tutelage.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:12am On Dec 20, 2018
earthrealm:

since they are both meeting at the battery head, whats the use of separating them?.. some high end smrt inverters have solar or grid priority setting, and this may ony allow one charging point if configured properly.

in all my set ups, have never bothered separating the 2 charging sources,, and zero issues, ikewise many folks here.
observed in mine..that depending on the state of charge of the battery, the solar charging is throttled down a bit when grid charging kicks in

Exactly. When the gen powered battery charger kicks in, I notice the amp rating from the panels slowly drop depending on the SoC of the battery till panel output clocks zero when the battery is fully charged. When the gen powers down, the solar amp output picks up again, this time only intermittently to maintain float.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:24am On Dec 20, 2018
Oshomo12:
Evening Guys, I need urgent reply on this;
Fangpusun wants to give me a replacement CC(bluesolar), they requested to send it through DHL. The but there is that, I've had a nasty experience with UPS on epsolar sometimes back ( I had to pay extra 16k for a CC of around 40k, about 2yrs back. since then I only use china registered mail, I collect in post office no issues). So, is there anybody that has collected CC via DHL? Thank you.

I bought a MakeSkyBlue MPPT at a give away price from a friend. The guy got it off of AliExpress and shipping from China to delivery at Ibadan was 7 days via FedEx. No extra charges upon delivery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 9:30am On Dec 20, 2018
ceaser:

I am completely off grid as my site is yet unserved by the national grid. I have a small living room set-up, DIYed that have served well and is two years old this December.
• 20Amp PWM CC

This set-up is replicated in each bedroom of the house and the kitchen. The set-ups depending on the location in the house, powers a TV, decoder, solar rechargeable standing fan, USB charging outlets. Along with a 22" TV, the kitchen set-up also powers a 60 watt fridge (230 watts start up current @ 230VAC) and with the exception of the kitchen set-up, every other similar set-up in the house rarely gets discharged below 12 volts (occasionally 11.9volts) by 12 midnight when everyone must have hit their beds.

The highest instantaneous peak current ever recorded is 6amps and a harvest of 210kwh (actually sub-200kwh on most sunny days). Considering the fact that each 150watts panel rated at 8.7amps should output at least 15amps instantaneous in a 2p config, isn't the 6 amps and below always recorded an abysmally low performance?

I recently got a give away deal of a MakeSkyBlue MPPT (20amps, 120volts) and thought of swapping this for the PWM CC in the living room. What re-arrangement/mods will you recommend for the solar panels to use with the MPPT CC? Also, I never used a circuit breaker in any of the set-ups, so can I get away with not using a CB with the new MPPT controller? If no, will a 20amps DC CB be appropriate? After installing the new CC, will an upgrade to 200amps AGM be a worthy investment?

What independent set-up will you recommend for an inverter AC of 1 horse power? I may have to alternate the set-up with a washing machine as needed (maybe twice weekly), so put that in mind also.

I plan to also revive the use of a sliding gate opener hitherto decommissioned since I can't be running the generator all day to power a gate opener that is used intermittently few moments of the day. A wattmeter showed the watt rating of 230 watts @ 240VAC. I tested it with a 12volt 1000watt MSW inverter i have lying around (actually I have two of it lying unused) connected with a 100amps AGM and it worked well. I also have a redundant 600 watts PSW that keeps sounding the alarm at any power draw above 180 watts, so it may not fit well into the gate opener scenario. Considering the high wattage of the sliding gate opener, would you recommend I use a 24volt inverter set-up instead (using two 30amps or 50amps AGM in series)? Will I likely get away with finally using the gate opener with the MSW inverter? The set-up powering the gate opener may eventually be recruited to power an electric fence unit overnight (if possible), but that's under maybe, also keep that in mind.

Please forgive my long epistle. I want to be as explicit as possible. I beseech you to be kind enough to read thru. Thank you Chiefs.
200kwh?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:16pm On Dec 20, 2018
Namzy:

200kwh?

200wh, I mean. Sorry for the error.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bakbayus: 7:12pm On Dec 20, 2018
Good evening guys. I want to ask for guidiance. I want to know the cost of an inverter to power 2 100w bulb, a ceiling fan, a TV and a decoder.
How much must I be getting ready for?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:38pm On Dec 20, 2018
bakbayus:
Good evening guys. I want to ask for guidiance. I want to know the cost of an inverter to power 2 100w bulb, a ceiling fan, a TV and a decoder.

If you are not heating up an area, I'd like to advice you go for a low energy bulbs. With the load you stated, I think a 1.5kva to 2kva inverter can handle it. The cost of it is dependent on make, size, type, etc. But I think an average of 80k (for the inverter alone) or something more or less of that cost.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bakbayus: 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2018
mctfopt:

If you are not heating up an area, I'd like to advice you go for a low energy bulbs. With the load you stated, I think a 1.5kva to 2kva inverter can handle it. The cost of it is dependent on make, size, type, etc. But I think an average of 80k (for the inverter alone) or something more or less of that cost.
Thanks boss. I reside in Lagos. With the low bulb and what have you, which company can do the installation and how long can such inverter last
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:22am On Dec 21, 2018
If you heed Oga MctFopt's advice and go for energy saving bulbs - using aggressive consumption measures, 2 energy saving bulbs would take 50w, 1 Fan 80w, TV and decoder 120w, Inverter Self Consumption 30w - a total of 280watts max

A 12v 500va to 1kva range inverter such as SuKam or Luminous or Microtek or Amaron Quanta/Tribal sells is more than sufficient - ideally you would want 2 pieces of 12v 200Ah batteries in parallel at a minimum. I recommend you stick with a 12v inverter for this entry level installation so you can minimise battery management issues.

How long the system backs you up for is relative to how many of your desired appliances you want to run at once and how long you want your system to last - 280w of loads at once would run for approximately 10hours before you hit the 50% DoD cutoff point and you can expect on average 18months to 2 years battery life if used this way.

I would recommend you consider adding a smart charger to complement your inverter (those small inverters have low charge current and average charge algorithms) so you can return power to your batteries reasonably quickly.

Above all, the more your appliances are energy efficient e.g TV using just 50w vs 120w, the happier you would be in the long term.

What part of Lagos do you stay in? You can choose any of the many well recommended installers on this forum to perform your installation.

bakbayus:

Thanks boss. I reside in Lagos. With the low bulb and what have you, which company can do the installation and how long can such inverter last
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:14am On Dec 21, 2018
bakbayus:

the new kid on the block is the led bulbs, more energy efficient than the usual spiral energy bulbs, a 7w led bulb is brighter than an 18w spiral energy bulb and cost 200naira or 300 naira more.
go chk them out

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:02am On Dec 21, 2018
earthrealm:

the new kid on the block is the led bulbs, more energy efficient than the usual spiral energy bulbs, a 7w led bulb is brighter than an 18w spiral energy bulb and cost 200naira or 300 naira more.
go chk them out

That's true. I use a 5w LED bulbs and the illuminance is at par with a 11 watt CFL bulb

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bakbayus: 10:59am On Dec 21, 2018
Wow, much informative than I expected. Huge thanks to u guys.
Now here's the problem,, I have a budget of 40k will it be able to get it or should I look for more?
I don't stay at home much in day, so I don't consume much power but in the night I need my fan to blow me well, you know what I mean? Please how can I do it
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 11:50am On Dec 21, 2018
bakbayus:
Wow, much informative than I expected. Huge thanks to u guys.
Now here's the problem,, I have a budget of 40k will it be able to get it or should I look for more?
I don't stay at home much in day, so I don't consume much power but in the night I need my fan to blow me well, you know what I mean? Please how can I do it

I'm afraid the 40k will only get you inverter and the recommended energy efficient bulbs... Cheers..

Minimum budget is 160k.. you get pure sine wave Inverter 800VA and A single 200AH battery..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dkev: 12:47pm On Dec 21, 2018
ceaser:

• 20Amp PWM CC

I think you should use the makeskyblue controller on the setup that is used more (since it would theoretically harvest more power). since it is a 20amp controller, at 12v you are looking at 240w in panels ( each of your setup has 300w of panels, you would simply change the two panels to series connection). if you want to go up to a higher voltage setup, you would need to get a new inverter and cables to connect your batteries in series and mc4 connectors. I think you should use it on one of your setup, watch it's performance and then decide if you want to go to a higher voltage. (if it isn't broken, why bother fixing it? you said your systems have served you well)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 2:19pm On Dec 21, 2018
mctfopt:

That's true. I use a 5w LED bulbs and the illuminance is at par with a 11 watt CFL bulb

Can I know this low watt LED bulks, the least I have been able to get is 15w AKT bulb. Where can I get the lower wattage and are they bright enough?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 2:30pm On Dec 21, 2018
ojeysky:

Can I know this low watt LED bulks, the least I have been able to get is 15w AKT bulb. Where can I get the lower wattage and are they bright enough?

Look what I found on AliExpress
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/eij95GM

I have used them for up to 2yrs.
Note: I always choose the cold white type, it's brighter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 4:44pm On Dec 21, 2018
ojeysky:

Go to Konga and search Ctorch LED T-bulb, you'd see the 6w. You can search for the 5w or buy the 6w bulb in a market near you. The last time I bought the 6w I paid N600 each. The 5w sells for N500. Ctorch is a very good brand.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:33pm On Dec 21, 2018
Oshomo12:

Look what I found on AliExpress
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/eij95GM

I have used them for up to 2yrs.
Note: I always choose the cold white type, it's brighter.

It didn't indicate the wattage, they just have various number of LEDs, do you know the one equivalent to 5watts?

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 10:00pm On Dec 21, 2018
ojeysky:

It didn't indicate the wattage, they just have various number of LEDs, do you know the one equivalent to 5watts?

Thanks

Sorry, I forgot to add
It is about:
56LEDs -- 4.5w
69LEDs -- 5.5w
72LEDs -- 6w this ones measured around 5.5w on my meter.
The least leds(24, is around 3w)

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 8:36am On Dec 22, 2018
Dkev:

I think you should use the makeskyblue controller on the setup that is used more (since it would theoretically harvest more power). since it is a 20amp controller, at 12v you are looking at 240w in panels ( each of your setup has 300w of panels, you would simply change the two panels to series connection). if you want to go up to a higher voltage setup, you would need to get a new inverter and cables to connect your batteries in series and mc4 connectors. I think you should use it on one of your setup, watch it's performance and then decide if you want to go to a higher voltage. (if it isn't broken, why bother fixing it? you said your systems have served you well)

Thank you Dkev for taking time to respond.

My setups have all served well as you noted. But I can't shake off the feeling that things can get interestingly better by going MPPT. More so that plans to harness solar for water heating (panels + water heater with a DC element swapped in for the stock AC element), the gate opener and electric fence as well are in the pipeline. These are setups I know will require MPPT in as their components. I think a little personal DIY experience with MPPT use will not be a bad idea.

Thanks once again.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:22am On Dec 22, 2018
ojeysky:

Bright 7w LED bulbs with warranty ...... N600

Call,
081-350-31951

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (485) (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) ... (1686) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: obitobe, ayo1984, Dam5reey(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.