Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,101 members, 7,814,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (493) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2054652 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) ... (1688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 2:45pm On Jan 06, 2019
My latest upgrade, review loading

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by johnmba: 3:03pm On Jan 06, 2019
I recently added 500w panel to my 1.5kva inverter using 30a pwm cc.

I noticed at peak when the sun is high i get 13.5A from the charge controller ( with load connected to the inverter) but get 4.5A when i disconnected the load.

Please why the difference.

NB: my inverter shows battery fully charged when i connected it to NEPA
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 3:10pm On Jan 06, 2019
johnmba:

I noticed at peak when the sun is high i get 13.5A from the charge controller ( with load connected to the inverter) but get 4.5A when i disconnected the load.

You already answered your question..

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 3:46pm On Jan 06, 2019
johnmba:

1. the solar is doing it's job correctly. when ur load is on the current on cc increase telling u d sun is supplying/complimenting ur load.

2. when u off d load, meaning no current draw over the maintainance charge of 4.5a.

3. yes, d inverter wl show batr full because d set voltage for batr full charge is met.
shikena

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by johnmba: 3:55pm On Jan 06, 2019
Dam5reey:

You already answered your question..

Thank you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by johnmba: 3:59pm On Jan 06, 2019
idsolar:

1. the solar is doing it's job correctly. when ur load is on the current on cc increase telling u d sun is supplying/complimenting ur load.

2. when u off d load, meaning no current draw over the maintainance charge of 4.5a.

3. yes, d inverter wl show batr full because d set voltage for batr full charge is met.
shikena

Oshee. Imela

This solar stuff is sweetooo

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by johnmba: 4:00pm On Jan 06, 2019
idsolar:

shikena

Thank you...oshee
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 5:14pm On Jan 06, 2019
BATTERY BALANCER REVIEW

so, there's been this debate whether battery balancer works or not... well, I 'like just state my observation.

so, I installed a 3.5kva/48v inverter system for this client with 4 batteries, December 2018. all batteries were reading 12.7v at purchase (why I always love Quanta; reads 12.9v at purchase)

As customary, the battery has to charge for at least 8hrs. However they charged it overnight. they only use the system once and drained it to just 48.8v before they shut it down. since they planned on adding four more batteries and solar this January, they decided not to use it again until the whole setup is complete.

last week Friday, I added battery meters and discovered that the batteries weren't just balanced. During charge they're reading 14.5v, 14.3v, 14.7v, 13.8v. (see Pic 1)

so I went and get a battery balancer and install it. 5 seconds later, I got pic 2; all were reading 13.9v

I removed the balancer and the batteries reading went back to pic1. put it back and the batteries reading went back to pic2.

will install the four new batteries tomorrow and carry out another observation.

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 6:06pm On Jan 06, 2019
mcTrinity:
BATTERY BALANCER REVIEW

so, there's been this debate whether battery balancer works or not... well, I 'like just state my observation.

so, I installed a 3.5kva/48v inverter system for this client with 4 batteries, December 2018. all batteries were reading 12.7v at purchase (why I always love Quanta; reads 12.9v at purchase)

As customary, the battery has to charge for at least 8hrs. However they charged it overnight. they only use the system once and drained it to just 48.8v before they shut it down. since they planned on adding four more batteries and solar this January, they decided not to use it again until the whole setup is complete.

last week Friday, I added battery meters and discovered that the batteries weren't just balanced. During charge they're reading 14.5v, 14.3v, 14.7v, 13.8v. (see Pic 1)

so I went and get a battery balancer and install it. 5 seconds later, I got pic 2; all were reading 13.9v

I removed the balancer and the batteries reading went back to pic1. put it back and the batteries reading went back to pic2.

Cheers

I doubt they are many who dispute the efficiency of battery balancer as a proven technology. The debate has always been with snake oil claim of "desulfators".

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 6:06pm On Jan 06, 2019
JUO:
My latest upgrade, review loading

We dey wait ooo. e kuu enjoyment
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:34pm On Jan 06, 2019
mcTrinity:
BATTERY BALANCER REVIEW

so, I installed a 3.5kva/48v inverter system for this client with 4 batteries, December 2018. all batteries were reading 12.7v at purchase (why I always love Quanta; reads 12.9v at purchase).

Cheers

Please am just curious how come you guys are getting voltage reading this high? I have 2 (150Ah) batteries and the highest it gets to during charge is 28.5 (which is about 14.2v each) when it's fully charged it goes to 26.5v and does not exceed that voltage. If the inverter is off and I test with my multimeter I get a max of 12.8v on each battery is this normal?

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 6:35pm On Jan 06, 2019
mcTrinity:
BATTERY BALANCER REVIEW

Cheers
Do battery balancers work that fast..... 5 secs hmmm

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 6:58pm On Jan 06, 2019
ojeysky:

Please am just curious how come you guys are getting voltage reading this high? I have 2 (150Ah) batteries and the highest it gets to during charge is 28.5 (which is about 14.2v each) when it's fully charged it goes to 26.5v and does not exceed that voltage. If the inverter is off and I test with my multimeter I get a max of 12.8v on each battery is this normal?

Thanks

depends on your inverter/charger charge profile. If it is an advanced charger with temperature compensation and using an AGM settings. That can explain the relatively low charge voltage. What inverter/charger do you charge your battery with.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 7:31pm On Jan 06, 2019
Namzy:

well, I don't know exactly how it works. after I connected the balancer and switched ON the input source to the inverter, the meter readings danced around for the first 3 seconds or so and stabilised at 13.9v each.
shut down the inverter and disconnected the balancer. after connecting it again, same thing happened.
just my personal observation, though.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:50pm On Jan 06, 2019
bigrovar:

I doubt they are many who dispute the efficiency of battery balancer as a proven technology. The debate has always been with snake oil claim of "desulfators".

hehehe! smiley snake oil or crocodile oil, my battery life saver (bls) works great for me.
i wouldn't run my batteries one day without them.
don't know about others though grin grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:55pm On Jan 06, 2019
It simply means the batteries were not very far apart in SoC (good news) or one battery is already toast since the voltage fell so sharply in such a short time (bad news)

If you bought the HA02 balancer it can move up to 10A of current between the batteries - that is sufficient charge into a weaker battery to make the voltages appear to converge.

Two tests I do -#1 - with the balancer attached, allow the batteries to drain to 12v each and then slightly beyond e g 11.8v each. If they all stay in sync as per voltage when drained so far, then they are all pretty well matched in capacity and your balancer saved the lesser charged battery from dieing prematurely.

Test #2 - with the balancer attached, measure voltage of each battery when the inverter or CC is in ABSORB - they will likely not stay at perfect sync but it is okay to see .03v of deviation - if you have one battery at 14.8v during absorb and another at 14.1v or less then one of the batteries is out of spec and needs to be identified.

You did not specify if you were using Quanta batteries for this test? Not sure how well they would survive charging at 14.7v

mcTrinity:

well, I don't know exactly how it works. after I connected the balancer and switched ON the input source to the inverter, the meter readings danced around for the first 3 seconds or so and stabilised at 13.9v each.
shut down the inverter and disconnected the balancer. after connecting it again, same thing happened.
just my personal observation, though.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:24pm On Jan 06, 2019
bigrovar:

depends on your inverter/charger charge profile. If it is an advanced charger with temperature compensation and using an AGM settings. That can explain the relatively low charge voltage. What inverter/charger do you charge your battery with.

It's a 1.5kva sumo inverter, I have been using it a long time ago. The battery is Garcia 150Ah and I bought it newly.

https:///product/gacia-12v-150a-deep-cycle-inverter-battery-3537197

Regards

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 10:28pm On Jan 06, 2019
Namzy:

grin

It's a form of Stabilizer they regulate voltage within seconds,

Balancer allow batteries charge/discharge at same voltage..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 10:39pm On Jan 06, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:
It simply means the batteries were not very far apart in SoC (good news) or one battery is already toast since the voltage fell so sharply in such a short time (bad news)

If you bought the HA02 balancer it can move up to 10A of current between the batteries - that is sufficient charge into a weaker battery to make the voltages appear to converge.

Two tests I do -#1 - with the balancer attached, allow the batteries to drain to 12v each and then slightly beyond e g 11.8v each. If they all stay in sync as per voltage when drained so far, then they are all pretty well matched in capacity and your balancer saved the lesser charged battery from dieing prematurely.

Test #2 - with the balancer attached, measure voltage of each battery when the inverter or CC is in ABSORB - they will likely not stay at perfect sync but it is okay to see .03v of deviation - if you have one battery at 14.8v during absorb and another at 14.1v or less then one of the batteries is out of spec and needs to be identified.

You did not specify if you were using Quanta batteries for this test? Not sure how well they would survive charging at 14.7v

they're actually new batteries...

and no, they're not Quanta. implied it in my first post.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 10:43pm On Jan 06, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Oga Chris,

I am assuming you want to switch over between Mains and Gen? If your inverter can already start and stop the Gen then I believe a suitably rated 4 pole 2NO/2NC AC contactor should do - you should be able to implement this solution for under 10k especially if your house wiring is single phase or 'naija looped 3-phase'.

Simply decide which power source has priority and put the live and neutral of that power source on the [NO] common side of the AC contactor and put the live and neutral of the power source to be overriden on the [NC] common side - interlink/bond the load side (goes to the house DB) of the AC contactor live to live bonded and neutral to neutral bonded and you are good to go. Only one power source will be able to feed from Common to Load Side of the AC contactor. You can even implement a Generator off function with the disconnect.

This is the device Niyi was referring to. It is quite affordable and reliable. It comes in two variations; AC or DC coil.

I have never had cause to replace any in the more than 10 installations I have used it for in the last 3years.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:40pm On Jan 06, 2019
mcTrinity:
BATTERY BALANCER REVIEW

wch balancer is that...HAO2? if yes..where did you buy it from? aliexpress?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:48pm On Jan 06, 2019
ojeysky:
Does anyone has an experience on "Voltron 12/24/48V LCD 60A MPPT Solar Charge Controller VT16-6015F"

I found it at Datacom and it's dataset seem interesting

did you get a response on this?. i have a pal who is looking for more info about it too, would appreciate the e-manual, if you hv
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 5:46am On Jan 07, 2019
earthrealm:

did you get a response on this?. i have a pal who is looking for more info about it too, would appreciate the e-manual, if you hv

Nope I didn't and I don't have the manual either.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 6:09am On Jan 07, 2019
earthrealm:

wch balancer is that...HAO2? if yes..where did you buy it from? aliexpress?

yes, it's HA02.... bought it from a dealer here at my base (Akwa Ibom State)

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 6:59pm On Jan 07, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Oga Chris,

I am assuming you want to switch over between Mains and Gen? If your inverter can already start and stop the Gen then I believe a suitably rated 4 pole 2NO/2NC AC contactor should do - you should be able to implement this solution for under 10k especially if your house wiring is single phase or 'naija looped 3-phase'.

Simply decide which power source has priority and put the live and neutral of that power source on the [NO] common side of the AC contactor and put the live and neutral of the power source to be overriden on the [NC] common side - interlink/bond the load side (goes to the house DB) of the AC contactor live to live bonded and neutral to neutral bonded and you are good to go. Only one power source will be able to feed from Common to Load Side of the AC contactor. You can even implement a Generator off function with the disconnect.

Thank you so much

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 8:02pm On Jan 08, 2019
Wow impressed with fangpusun. I bought their bmv 700 and when it delivered I noticed that the display had issues, it wasn't that bad the only problem been 7 looking like 1 and some mild clarity issues. So I mailed them and was expecting them to tell me they will offer a discount on my next buy but they said they will send another unit. I expected them to send only the display unit since the shunt and supplied cables were working buy lo and behold they sent another complete unit thru DHL ie the bmv 700 monitor, 500a shunt and cables. Infact they even added a temp sensor which is odd because the bmv doesn't use it and so I don't know why they added it. So I now have 2 units of complete bmv 700 plus a temp sensor wire that I don't know what to do with. Maybe I'll keep it for a future device, any suggestions? grin
BRAVO FANGPUSUN

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 6:06am On Jan 09, 2019
Namzy:
Wow impressed with fangpusun. I bought their bmv 700 and when it delivered I noticed that the display had issues, it wasn't that bad the only problem been 7 looking like 1 and some mild clarity issues. So I mailed them and was expecting them to tell me they will offer a discount on my next buy but they said they will send another unit. I expected them to send only the display unit since the shunt and supplied cables were working buy lo and behold they sent another complete unit thru DHL ie the bmv 700 monitor, 500a shunt and cables. Infact they even added a temp sensor which is odd because the bmv doesn't use it and so I don't know why they added it. So I now have 2 units of complete bmv 700 plus a temp sensor wire that I don't know what to do with. Maybe I'll keep it for a future device, any suggestions? grin
BRAVO FANGPUSUN

I have had similar experience with them in the past. Once had issues with their charge controllers (After it was killed by an updated firmware from victron) They offered to replace it no question asked and sent the new replacement via dhl all without asking that I returned the broken controller. EPsolar and Fangpusun are 2 chinese companies that have a global reputation for honoring their warranties.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 10:17am On Jan 09, 2019
Namzy:
BRAVO FANGPUSUN

this is what I am talking about. having human feeling. not telling customer to go to hell, silently then in we call God, Jesus, Allah then sing and dance in the church giving testimony of good business and success.

congratulation for the replacement. and UP Fangpuson. they have won a customer

8 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 4:13pm On Jan 09, 2019
Namzy:
BRAVO FANGPUSUN

Hittey provide incredible customer service. I wish the manufacturers she clones would be like her
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olatade(m): 5:27pm On Jan 09, 2019
the distilled water in my luminous 220 amp tubular battery tends to dry up pretty fast, as in i top it weekly. what might be cause? the battery is not up to a year i got it brand new.

(1) (2) (3) ... (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) ... (1688) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: andymola(m), isangjohnson, dragnet, Buchika, seunwole(m), abbey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.