Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,266 members, 7,815,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (588) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2055832 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (585) (586) (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) ... (1689) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Systrom(m): 7:22pm On Sep 14, 2019
Can someone give me the contact of a good dealer of inverters/inverter batteries/solar panels in Alaba market

Wanna go there and shop for products on Monday Thanks guys
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wayisshut: 11:09pm On Sep 14, 2019
[quote author=Topmost11 post=82229321]

Go to people selling generator. What you require is the battery used by kick and start generators.
Mine is dead and I am also planning on buying a replacement but replacements are not as good as follow come, I heard.

Thanks. I just need one that wont fail within one year at least
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:33am On Sep 15, 2019
Topmost11:
@mctfopt.
If I am correct, my present panels at 8a×4=32a in parallel has exceeds the capacity of the 50a pwm cc in it. And I still want to get 4 more panels. I am expecting a 60a mppt powermr cc. I know that will work with my present inverter but I am concerned about my fridge(inverter capacity can't carry fridge) Transformer in our area has been down for months now so fridge is redundant now.

Question is will the new inverter still need the mppt cc you talked about as it already has its own being hybrid? Thanks

You can use an external charge controller on a hybrid inverter. All you have to do is to ignore connecting the PV wires to the inverter's PV slot but rather connect it to the external charge controller's slot. I still don't understand why you should connect the 4 panels in parallel, are you running a 12v system while using a PWM charge controller? If your inverter's capacity is up to 1.5kva, it can handle most fridge in the market that is 200w or less. I was banned by the anti-spam bot yesterday in this section for reasons best known to it. I'm back.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 12:46pm On Sep 15, 2019
mctfopt:

You can use an external charge controller on a hybrid inverter. All you have to do is to ignore connecting the PV wires to the inverter's PV slot but rather connect it to the external charge controller's slot. I still don't understand why you should connect the 4 panels in parallel, are you running a 12v system while using a PWM charge controller? If your inverter's capacity is up to 1.5kva, it can handle most fridge in the market that is 200w or less. I was banned by the anti-spam bot yesterday in this section for reasons best known to it. I'm back.

Sorry for being banned. It happens.
My inverter is indeed 12v so I cant connect in series to avoid ending with 24v connection. My inverter capacity is 900v so it can't carry the fridge hence my quest for a new one.
If I ignore the "follow come" cc, then I can buy the 1.5kva (which is same 12v) connect to mppt cc to power my fridge and other appliances. I will buy one more 200ah battery and 4 more panels.
Then remove two mismatched panels, take this present inverter and pwm cc and mismatched panels and install for my mother. Two panels and 100ah battery is okay for my mum. She hardly watches TV, but needs power for light and phone charging
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 1:15pm On Sep 15, 2019
Get a Bluegate make, though it is 12V,7AH.

[quote author=wayisshut post=82241259][/quote]
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 1:17pm On Sep 15, 2019
Do me a DM or What.sApp. on 0.8.0333.43.911. I have a reliable contact for you.

Systrom:
Can someone give me the contact of a good dealer of inverters/inverter batteries/solar panels in Alaba market

Wanna go there and shop for products on Monday Thanks guys
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wayisshut: 1:19pm On Sep 15, 2019
[quote author=SolnergyPower post=82252754]Get a Bluegate make, though it is 12V,7AH.

Do you have any for sale with at least a year warranty. If you do just let me know.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 1:28pm On Sep 15, 2019
Hmnn. There is so much to learn about this DIY stuff. The challenges I had with my solar installation was simply due to wrong settings on the pwm cc. I give God the glory for giving me the insight on what to do. And I am grateful to all who gave me advice one way or the other for me to arrive "here". As of this day, I have had power for 72 hrs nonstop except of course when I go to sleep. I consulted extensively on different platforms, but I didn't get that settings could be the problem. I don't know what made me decide to change the settings. I think its because my battery came with 11.7v. So it occurred to me to reduce the voltage of the cc without really understanding what I am doing. All i thought was "if i reduce to below the battery voltage, maybe it will be forced to pick up". I also adjusted some other settings and voila! Light 24hrs. TV morning till evening with only a 200ah battery! And the battery only dropped to 85% once!
If I had contracted the installation out with money that is not available, I won't know what I know today. Still, I am glad I opted for DIY.

Thank you all who helped one way or the other. God bless you all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 1:42pm On Sep 15, 2019
What is available now is Mercury, Korea made. One year warranty. 6k. Location: PHC.

Do me a DM or What.sApp. on 0.8.0333.43.911.

[quote author=wayisshut post=82252846][/quote]
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 1:44pm On Sep 15, 2019
The battery level/voltage reader I installed

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 3:13pm On Sep 15, 2019
Topmost11:

Sorry for being banned. It happens.
My inverter is indeed 12v so I cant connect in series to avoid ending with 24v connection. My inverter capacity is 900v so it can't carry the fridge hence my quest for a new one.
If I ignore the "follow come" cc, then I can buy the 1.5kva (which is same 12v) connect to mppt cc to power my fridge and other appliances. I will buy one more 200ah battery and 4 more panels.
Then remove two mismatched panels, take this present inverter and pwm cc and mismatched panels and install for my mother. Two panels and 100ah battery is okay for my mum. She hardly watches TV, but needs power for light and phone charging

I'll recommend you get a 24v inverter system so you can push above 800w panel if you get your hands on a 60A MPPT Solar Charge Controller. 12v system heavily restricts you in the case of running any load greater than 100w. I always suggest you use a 12v system for extremely light loads especially bulbs and phone charging. To enable you run more solar panels you've got to think about getting off the 12v system.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 3:16pm On Sep 15, 2019
Solar is life smiley.. Fully off-grid for 4 months counting now .... Happy Sunday dear forumites !!!

Smartcellglobal services
081-350-31951

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wayisshut: 4:34pm On Sep 15, 2019
[quote author=SolnergyPower post=82253380]What is available now is Mercury, Korea made. One year warranty. 6k. Location: PHC.

Do me a DM or What.sApp. on 0.8.0333.43.911.

I will dm you right away. Holding on to your warranty.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 6:42pm On Sep 15, 2019
mctfopt:

I'll recommend you get a 24v inverter system so you can push above 800w panel if you get your hands on a 60A MPPT Solar Charge Controller. 12v system heavily restricts you in the case of running any load greater than 100w. I always suggest you use a 12v system for extremely light loads especially bulbs and phone charging. To enable you run more solar panels you've got to think about getting off the 12v system.

So I should go for the 24v 2.5kva inverter rather than the 12v 1.5kva? Been thinking to go for the 12v 1.5kv
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 6:44pm On Sep 15, 2019
kiekie1:
Solar is life smiley.. Fully off-grid for 4 months counting now .... Happy Sunday dear forumites !!!

Smartcellglobal services
081-350-31951

1880w in a day?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harizonal123(m): 7:02pm On Sep 15, 2019
Topmost11:

1880w in a day?
He couldn't even tell us the number and total wattage of his panels. Giving us the impression as if there is one special connection or equipment that does the magic
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:07pm On Sep 15, 2019
Topmost11:

So I should go for the 24v 2.5kva inverter rather than the 12v 1.5kva? Been thinking to go for the 12v 1.5kv

That will be better than a 12v system considering you plan on acquiring more panels since there is the need to add a refrigerator to the mix.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 7:18pm On Sep 15, 2019
mctfopt:

That will be better than a 12v system considering you plan on acquiring more panels since there is the need to add a refrigerator to the mix.

I shall think towards that area.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:03pm On Sep 15, 2019
kiekie1:

Smartcellglobal services
081-350-31951

I think we have similar off grid status (though mine is 5 months with about 4 months on solar). It's certainly been a great experience with my mppsolar brand which I guess is probably half the price of a victron. There was a day I saw over 8A and over 1.4kw on a my 1.5kw 6S1P array.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 2:45am On Sep 16, 2019
Pls recommend a good inexpensive 2.5kv inverter. Money IS an issue but would prefer to wait extra to save up than buy junk
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:52am On Sep 16, 2019
ojeysky:

I think we have similar off grid status (though mine is 5 months with about 4 months on solar). It's certainly been a great experience with my mppsolar brand which I guess is probably half the price of a victron. There was a day I saw over 8A and over 1.4kw on a my 1.5kw 6S1P array.

Nice tho!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 3:02am On Sep 16, 2019
[quote author=ojeysky post=82264454]

Pls educate me. 6S1P is 6series 1parallel configuration, right? Is your inverter 72v, hence the additional 12v in parallel? Sorry I am a learner.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 3:31am On Sep 16, 2019
I looked it up and this is what I get.

A 2S2P battery (a battery is more than one cell) is made up of four cells in series/parallel configuration. If a 8000mAh battery has four 4000mAh cells of 12V each. Cell 'a' and cell 'b' would be connected in series to give 24V at 4000mAh capacity and the same will be done to cells 'c' and 'd' to give another battery of 4000mAh capacity at 24V. These two 24V batteries (ab) and (cd) are then connected in parallel to give one single battery of 8000mAh capacity at 24V.

This is my understanding until I began to wonder how 6s1p is connected.

6s1p will be= a, b, c, d, e, and f connected in series first and then (abcdef) connected to (d) in parallel? What is the resultant voltage if the batteries are 12v?

So since bigger capacity is our goal in solar, we can use our ingenuity to increase capacity but while doing so must not exceed voltage of inverter as it is already fixed based on what we opted for, 12, 24, 36, 48, etc.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 5:07am On Sep 16, 2019
[quote author=Topmost11 post=82271678][/quote] He is talking about solar panels, his inverter is an hybrid that can convert high voltage DC from solar into ac in the absence of batteries, his 6s1p configuration will able to generate well over 180vdc(solar power) to charge his inverter which I think uses 24v batteries
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 5:47am On Sep 16, 2019
Pls critique this proposal arrived at because of mismatched batteries.

Changeover is used to determine which cc to switch to and ultimately which battery to charge.
Changeover also determines which battery to place load.

Questions:
1. what is the negative implication of it.
2. If I am to incorporate dc fuse, which place(s) should it be?
3. The 40a cc has exceeded its max tolerance limit of 580w by 20w(4×150w=600). 60a is within limit.
4. Suggestions.

Thanks.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 6:14am On Sep 16, 2019
Penuelseun:
He is talking about solar panels, his inverter is an hybrid that can convert high voltage DC from solar into ac in the absence of batteries, his 6s1p configuration will able to generate well over 180vdc(solar power) to charge his inverter which I think uses 24v batteries

Pls expatiate.
Do you mean 6 panels connected in parallel?
What exactly is this 6s1p?
My understanding of hybrid inverters is that they have inbuilt cc and are built for both phcn and solar thus the name hybrid. They can be used directly to ac load and only need batteries as storage for sundown use.

Hybrid inverters operate bi-directionally, meaning they can convert DC power from modules to usable AC power and then convert stored AC from the batteries to power loads when needed.

I won't mind a drawing of this 6s1p if it is not much bother.

PS: Why did I switch from science to study accounting!!! Do you know any sec school that will enrol this old man? Lol

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:30am On Sep 16, 2019
Topmost11:

Pls expatiate.
My understanding of hybrid inverters is that they have inbuilt cc and are built for both phcn and solar thus the name hybrid. They can be used directly to ac load and only need batteries as storage for sundown use.

Hybrid inverters operate bi-directionally, meaning they can convert DC power from modules to usable AC power and then convert stored AC from the batteries to power loads when needed.

I won't mind a drawing of this 6s1p if it is not much bother.

PS: Why did I switch from science to study accounting!!! Do you know any sec school that will enrol this old man? Lol

As penuelseun hinted, it means 6 panels connected in series. When you connect in series you get increased voltage across panels but the current is constant. I am able to do that because my inverter allows high Voc up to 450 (with spikes to 500). However when you connect in parallel you get increased current (amperage) but constant voltage. There are ofcourse disadvantages in doing many series connection most especially the "injury to one is injury to all" syndrome, but if you have the bandwidth then I'd say it's much better.

That said it is called an hybrid in this context, because it has inverter (which does the conversation from DC to AC (not the other way round) ) and solar charge controller together in one box.

Note that not all hybrids are high Voc and I only got this model on choice and yes if the inverter gets to its normal operating Voc (which is 230) it can power your household without batteries. I am currently using the minimum panel setup hence am not yet at 230v not that I will need it though since I have batteries.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by microgiant: 7:32am On Sep 16, 2019
Topmost11:

Pls expatiate.

It means the 6 panels are connected in series. You need more than one to connect in parallel.

1S6P means all panels are connected in parallel no series. xSxP is standard tech acronym in solar for battery and panels connection configuration. It is how I understand it from following this thread.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 11:23am On Sep 16, 2019
I couldn't make a review on the 1st batch of lithium batteries. Another batch has landed and I have the time to the reviews. I have two units of these. 100ah 48v each. Will keep the house updated.

Call/whatapp 08117398294 for your solar panels and batteries.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eltolu: 2:05pm On Sep 16, 2019
Hello solar gurus, what could be the cause when the CC is showing it's receiving voltage from the solar (64V) panels but 0.0Amp? The CC is not indicating any wiring fault and I cant pinpoint when it started happening.

The system consists of 4 solar panels (300W each) connected to a 60A CC and a 3KVA inverter connected to a 48V battery system.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jamzig1(m): 2:24pm On Sep 16, 2019
zeestone99:
I couldn't make a review on the 1st batch of lithium batteries. Another batch has landed and I have the time to the reviews. I have two units of these. 100ah 48v each. Will keep the house updated.

Call/whatapp 08117398294 for your solar panels and batteries.

Well done, what's the landing cost of this unit?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:36pm On Sep 16, 2019
olaolu11:
Pls advice on this inverter.
1. How good is it?
2. Will it carry my fridge for about 4 hrs ?
3. I have 4 *150w panels presently, how many more 150 w panels do I buy?
4. The best configuration to connect the panels(all at joined in parallel presently)
Thanks

3.5kva inverter for a 140 watts freezer may be an overkill. With me, a 2kva 12volt inverter handles a 114 watts deep freezer adequately. In fact the freezer had hitherto done fine on a 12v 600 watts (1200watts surge inverter) with occasional at most twice weekly surge hiccups - the reason why I upgraded the inverter to a 12v 1200 watts (2400 watts surge variant).

The panels handling the set up are 4 pieces 150 watts flames all in parallel with a 30 amps PWM charge controller (to be upgraded to MPPT soon).

The battery is 100 amps (trans-over from one of the spent batteries for the home entertainment system modular set up).

The positioning of the panels are not optimal because of steep roof angle but by 9am when the sun is up, the freezer starts and the output from the panels fluctuates btw 90watts to 114watts. By midday up to around 5pm, the output ups to around 295 watts to 380 watts and the battery remains at optimal charge all these period.

6pm the inverter is programmed to shut down (the battery isn't so perfect for longer run time), but the freezer keeps items frozen till the following day.

These are the performance this rainy season. I expect better during the dry seasons.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (585) (586) (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) ... (1689) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: kdaddy, Amador1, orkman(m), Scientheosopher(m), saint2ace(m), dacool1(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.