Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (589) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2055095 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (586) (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) ... (1688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:53pm On Sep 16, 2019
olaolu11:

Because its 24v, I am getting two 200ah batteries for a start and upgrade to 4 by year-end by God's grace.

400ah 24v will give you a good run time close to the 4 hrs you seek but I'm not sure the 600 watts panel will adequately charge the batteries to full before sundown.

The gurus here will give more expert opinion.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 7:08pm On Sep 16, 2019
Trippledots:

I recommended one for someone who contacted me some weeks back. Its one of these lithium packs, and the person hasn't given me a complete feedback. But i think its working because if e no work e for don knick my door tey tey.

So there is this lithium pack (18650s) that is designed to be used with a laptop (19v out) and printer (30v out) ports. Charges good and at a price of 12k.

Pack includes battery pack, battery charger and in-to-in plugs for the type of laptop you use.

Guy is reliable, so if you wanna contact him I'll give his number here.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:41pm On Sep 16, 2019
eltolu:
Hello solar gurus, what could be the cause when the CC is showing it's receiving voltage from the solar (64V) panels but 0.0Amp? The CC is not indicating any wiring fault and I cant pinpoint when it started happening.

The system consists of 4 solar panels (300W each) connected to a 60A CC and a 3KVA inverter connected to a 48V battery system.

this your CC, e no no name or specs sad sad
folks should try and be intuitive when asking questions here, its quite tiring&discouraging to be asking for details back n forth, hence many will jump and pass the question

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 7:52pm On Sep 16, 2019
[quote author=ojeysky post=82274277]

As penuelseun hinted, it means 6 panels connected in series. When you connect in series you get increased voltage across panels but the current is constant. I am able to do that because my inverter allows high Voc up to 450 (with spikes to 500). However when you connect in parallel you get increased current (amperage) but constant voltage. There are ofcourse disadvantages in doing many series connection most especially the "injury to one is injury to all" syndrome, but if you have the bandwidth then I'd say it's much better.

That said it is called an hybrid in this context, because it has inverter (which does the conversation from DC to AC (not the other way round) ) and solar charge controller together in one box.

Note that not all hybrids are high Voc and I only got this model on choice and yes if the inverter gets to its normal operating Voc (which is 230) it can power your household without batteries. I am currently using the minimum panel setup hence am not yet at 230v not that I will need it though since I have batteries. [/quote

Niw i understand. Thanks for educating me.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 8:06pm On Sep 16, 2019
ceaser:

3.5kva inverter for a 140 watts freezer may be an overkill. With me, a 2kva 12volt inverter handles a 114 watts deep freezer adequately. In fact the freezer had hitherto done fine on a 12v 600 watts (1200watts surge inverter) with occasional at most twice weekly surge hiccups - the reason why I upgraded the inverter to a 12v 1200 watts (2400 watts surge variant).

The panels handling the set up are 4 pieces 150 watts flames all in parallel with a 30 amps PWM charge controller (to be upgraded to MPPT soon).

The battery is 100 amps (trans-over from one of the spent batteries for the home entertainment system modular set up).

The positioning of the panels are not optimal because of steep roof angle but by 9am when the sun is up, the freezer starts and the output from the panels fluctuates btw 90watts to 114watts. By midday up to around 5pm, the output ups to around 295 watts to 380 watts and the battery remains at optimal charge all these period.

6pm the inverter is programmed to shut down (the battery isn't so perfect for longer run time), but the freezer keeps items frozen till the following day.

These are the performance this rainy season. I expect better during the dry seasons.

You don't mean it! My panels are configured like yours 4×150w in parallel but I use a 60a pwm cc. I am also expecting a 60a powermr mppt cc. My inverter is luminous 12v 900vac ecovolt.

Pls what's the make and model of your inverter. I am looking at future upgrade is why I need the 3.5kva. But I can hold on for now.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 8:14pm On Sep 16, 2019
ceaser:

400ah 24v will give you a good run time close to the 4 hrs you seek but I'm not sure the 600 watts panel will adequately charge the batteries to full before sundown.

The gurus here will give more expert opinion[sub][/sub][sup][/sup][img][/img][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font].

I'm getting additional two 150watts panels before December.
Will someone pls tell me how many watts will charge 400ah battery conveniently in a day with 12v inverter and as an alternative, with 24v inverter. I am yet to grasp how to do the calculations.

400ah battery.
Whatever panel wattage that will charge it in a day
12v or 24v inverter?
That's my dilemma now
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:23pm On Sep 16, 2019
Topmost11:

I'm getting 4 more panels before December.
Will someone pls tell me how many wattage will charge 400ah conveniently in a day. I am yet to grasp the calculations.

If you can push things up to 1500w then you should be fine. This ofcourse depends on your continuous consumption during charging as well.
I have a 1500w setup and my 150ah 24v setup becomes full by noon at the latest; in most cases it's full by 11am.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 8:33pm On Sep 16, 2019
eltolu:
Hello solar gurus, what could be the cause when the CC is showing it's receiving voltage from the solar (64V) panels but 0.0Amp? The CC is not indicating any wiring fault and I cant pinpoint when it started happening.

The system consists of 4 solar panels (300W each) connected to a 60A CC and a 3KVA inverter connected to a 48V battery system.

Just like Earthrealm has mentioned, its always good to provide details...

However, in the absence of more details, one of the interpretation could be that your battery bank is already full ( even past floating).

So, next time check what your battery voltage is...
Float voltage for a 48V battery bank is between 54-55.2V (@13.5-13.8V per battery)

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 8:35pm On Sep 16, 2019
eltolu:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 8:38pm On Sep 16, 2019
ojeysky:

If you can push things up to 1500w then you should be fine. This ofcourse depends on your continuous consumption during charging as well.
I have a 1500w setup and my 150ah 24v setup becomes full by noon at the latest; in most cases it's full by 11am.

That's about 3 hours(8-11) sunlight for 150ah on 1500w.
So 10 hours(8-6) sunlight for 400ah on 1500w should truly do it. What is the make and model of your inverter pls? And make(name) of panels. I learnt there are so many stickers out there. ie you may be given panel of flames but fraudulently labelled sharp.
And don't I need to consider loss along wire from panels to cc; length of wire from panel to cc is 25metres.wire size is 6mm² though I guess some of that loss will be eliminated by the time I install the expected mppt cc
Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 8:55pm On Sep 16, 2019
@ ojesky

150ah 24v
Isn't 24v supposed to be two batteries? Or you have two 75ah batteries?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 9:00pm On Sep 16, 2019
Topmost11:

I'm getting additional two 150watts panels before December.
Will someone pls tell me how many watts will charge 400ah battery conveniently in a day with 12v inverter and as an alternative, with 24v inverter. I am yet to grasp how to do the calculations.

400ah battery.
Whatever panel wattage that will charge it in a day
12v or 24v inverter?
That's my dilemma now

Hello Topmost11,

First of all, there's a general calculation used to determine the size of PV array for a particular system, and it has to do with using the average hours of sun in the day and other many scenario.

however, I'll show you how I personally do mine looo�.

secondly, I'll go the 24V way.....
so, for a 400Ah battery bank, you need a minimum charging current of 40A (10% of the battery bank capacity). However, some battery have exception to this: Quanta Amaron can take up to 25% of its capacity!

so at 40A charging current, you need 960W PV Array (i.e. 24V x 40A)

Nonetheless, there are other considerations like day loads, panel inefficiency, and cloudy moments....

if you decide to add 10A to take care of the day loads, you'll have 50A.

That'll be 1.2KW PV Array (i.e. 50A x 24V).

However, you should round it up to 1.5KW PV Array, to take care of inefficiency.

Note that the above is strictly my personal approach....

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harizonal123(m): 5:53am On Sep 17, 2019
harizonal123:
This is my inverter below. Pls I would like to know if it is pure sine wave or modified sine wave. I can't find where it is written. I heard modified sine wave is not too good for electronics in the long run. How true?
My pure sine wave inverter finally arrived in just 10days using China post and working perfectly after installing. No more humming noise and fear of my gadgets developing fault due to voltage fluctuations. Batteries now last longer compared to when I was using my former modified sine wave. It's definitely a 5star inverter & I'm very happy

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:55am On Sep 17, 2019
Topmost11:

That's about 3 hours(8-11) sunlight for 150ah on 1500w.
So 10 hours(8-6) sunlight for 400ah on 1500w should truly do it. What is the make and model of your inverter pls? And make(name) of panels. I learnt there are so many stickers out there. ie you may be given panel of flames but fraudulently labelled sharp.

Panels: Sunfit purchased from Lagos
Hybrid Inverter: 3024GK purchased directly from mppsolar Taiwan.
You can look to previous post on this thread where myself and other mppsolar users has provided more details about the product.

And don't I need to consider loss along wire from panels to cc; length of wire from panel to cc is 25metres.wire size is 6mm² though I guess some of that loss will be eliminated by the time I install the expected mppt cc
Thanks.

You should factor in loss, mine is about 17metre distance and am using a 8AWG dual core cable, so you should be fine with 25metre length, since you are planning on 6 panels, unless you are getting my kind of cc, I suggest you do 3S2P so you have an increased voltage to argument the amperage.

Cheers
PS: Am just a beginner solar DIY chap so I stand corrected by the gurus in the �
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 8:18am On Sep 17, 2019
harizonal123:

My pure sine wave inverter finally arrived in just 10days using China post and working perfectly after installing. No more humming noise and fear of my gadgets developing fault due to voltage fluctuations. Batteries now last longer compared to when I was using my former modified sine wave. It's definitely a 5star inverter & I'm very happy
how much did you buy it and the link please
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harizonal123(m): 1:50pm On Sep 17, 2019
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 2:14pm On Sep 17, 2019
odimbannamdi:

Hello bro...

Does this inverter work well with your fans and other appliances? Please give us the link.

Thanks

This is the 600W Pure sine wave inverter I was talking about. It works well so far, idle consumption is about 7-10w from the manufacturer's claims and I think it's true.
The fan kicks in when the load exceeds about 50w although it gets warm when using with light load. No humming sound with led bulbs and fan unlike before when I used an APC 650va Ups. The output voltage has never exceeded 225V.

I paid 20k for it from AliExpress.
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/k2IU62WU

The weight is close to 2kg which is good for a 600W inverter 'cos I assume that means it is made of above-average components. It comes with two extra fuses in case you blow the follow-come during your experiment.grin

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 2:30pm On Sep 17, 2019
Topmost11:
@ ojesky

150ah 24v
Isn't 24v supposed to be two batteries? Or you have two 75ah batteries?

Two 150ah 12v batteries in series gives 150ah 24v.

Meanwhile, anyone with fairly used 150ah batteries for a give away price should please note that I am interested. wink
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 4:06pm On Sep 17, 2019
ceaser:

So there is this lithium pack (18650s) that is designed to be used with a laptop (19v out) and printer (30v out) ports. Charges good and at a price of 12k.

Pack includes battery pack, battery charger and in-to-in plugs for the type of laptop you use.

Guy is reliable, so if you wanna contact him I'll give his number here.

Whats the watt hour of the battery pack?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ekesonbatteries(m): 4:21pm On Sep 17, 2019
Ekeson batteries no 32 Ezekiel st off Toyin st Ikeja Lagos or 36 Kudirat Abiola road oregun ikeja lags call 08169345275 or 07080377401

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Runx: 5:30pm On Sep 17, 2019
grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 12:33am On Sep 18, 2019
So, here's a retrospective review of product quality.

Amazing harvest from a 3kWp PV array (hit nameplate yield). More amusing is the solar panels are knocking 3 years. CC is a Victron Bluesolar MPPT 150/85. Display is via a Victron CCGX. Screenshot via Victron VRM.

Even I am wowed (which doesn't happen often).

Thanks NiyiOmoIyunade for compelling me to switch to Canadian Solar panels. Thanks Zeestone for the supplies.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:20am On Sep 18, 2019
So decided to try out quanta battery.
Looks really well made and high tech.
Though observed slight swellings on the 3 compartments of the battery.....is this normal.

Abeg quanta users should chook mouth

2ndly the boost charge voltage spec on it is 13.8v, while float is 13.5v, this is about the lowest i have seen. And would spell disaster for folks fond of mixing diff batt makes.
My usual long batts hv boost of 14.6v and float of 13.7v

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 9:41am On Sep 18, 2019
eltolu:

put on heavy load daytime lk tv/fridge then check if amp reading change, it means ur batr was full b4 when reading was 0 if not from experience check ur panel to cc link wire
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 10:13am On Sep 18, 2019
harizonal123:

Good one! Link seen.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:50am On Sep 18, 2019
Saipro:

Amazing harvest from a 3kWp PV array (hit nameplate yield). More amusing is the solar panels are knocking 3 years. CC is a Victron Bluesolar MPPT 150/85. Display is via a Victron CCGX. Screenshot via Victron VRM.

Thanks NiyiOmoIyunade for compelling me to switch to Canadian Solar panels. Thanks Zeestone for the supplies.

Hmm....this is interesting, you got over 3.1kw on a 3kw array, can you confirm if your array is exactly 3kw?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 12:31pm On Sep 18, 2019
ojeysky:

Two 150ah 12v batteries in series gives 150ah 24v.

Meanwhile, anyone with fairly used 150ah batteries for a give away price should please note that I am interested. wink

OK. Now I understand. When I saw 150ah 24v was why I wondered. If I had seen 300ah 24v, I'd have understood.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:47pm On Sep 18, 2019
Jamzig1:

Well done, what's the landing cost of this unit?
I sell 650k sir. Over 4100 cycles at 80% d.o.d
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 12:49pm On Sep 18, 2019
ojeysky:

Hmm....this is interesting, you got over 3.1kw on a 3kw array, can you confirm if your array is exactly 3kw?
Actually 3,060Wp (255W × 12) in 4s3p configuration. Besides, it's the instantaneous max seen that day. I remember having spoken of "cloud edge glare" here previously.

Seeing such isn't what fascinates me. What's impressive is the age of the panels versus performance. At 3pm on an average day, they output between 2.2kW and 2.5kW. On brilliant afternoons, >2.6kW. Midday yields are typically around 2.7kW to 2.9kW. It's phenomenal.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:55pm On Sep 18, 2019
Saipro:

Glad you enjoying it. Exceptional service you get as usual. Waybill our wine. You can send both to me, I will send niyi's wine later grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (586) (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) ... (1688) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Justice629(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.