Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,834 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (647) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2082724 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (644) (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) ... (1704) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 9:19am On Jan 14, 2020
[quote author=tonididdy post=85775937][/quote]

Just a recommendation

1. Remove the Inverter from the top of the battery, after prolonged usage your inverter may be hot and your batteries will start emitting gas..

2. Replace the battery clamps with Battery lugs, those Clamps do have bad contact and may corrode if you pass high current Which as a result of excessive heat..

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 10:24am On Jan 14, 2020
Dam5reey:

Just a recommendation

1. Remove the Inverter from the top of the battery, after prolonged usage your inverter may be hot and your batteries will start emitting gas..

2. Replace the battery clamps with Battery lugs, those Clamps do have bad contact and may corrode if you pass high current Which as a result of excessive heat..
Thanks very much for your advice.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by laposta: 11:09am On Jan 14, 2020
30A EPEVER MPPT Charge Controller available.

N35,000 only. If you'd prefer to deal through Jumia, I have a store on there.

Quote this message and we can start a conversation!

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oliyeniun: 1:27pm On Jan 14, 2020
Hi House,

I bought a set of panels from a renowned and respected person on this forum known for warning against fake solar panels and accessories. i have transacted business for a long time with this said person and had no cause to doubt his integrity. however my last transaction with him gave me reasons to question his business dealings with me as shady as i ordered for panels (three 250 Watts) and he told me he was sending flames panels which he got direct from the company.

Unfortunately, when the panels came, there was no indication that it was a flames panel and the installer confirmed same. as at 1pm, i was getting less than 2Amps current on a single panel and it was quite sunny. Since then the person has cut off all communications with me as he was also trying to get kickback from the installer (which i got to know about later and refused to work with his agreement), this is after overpricing[color=#990000][/color] even the logistics of how the items got to me.

please i am just curious, is it possible to buy a flames panel without the sticker indicating that it is flames? is there anyone with sample picture of how flames panels look? thank you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 1:54pm On Jan 14, 2020
oliyeniun:
Hi House,

I bought a set of panels from a renowned and respected person on this forum known for warning against fake solar panels and accessories. i have transacted business for a long time with this said person and had no cause to doubt his integrity. however my last transaction with him gave me reasons to question his business dealings with me as shady as i ordered for panels (three 250 Watts) and he told me he was sending flames panels which he got direct from the company.

Unfortunately, when the panels came, there was no indication that it was a flames panel and the installer confirmed same. as at 1pm, i was getting less than 2Amps current on a single panel and it was quite sunny. Since then the person has cut off all communications with me as he was also trying to get kickback from the installer (which i got to know about later and refused to work with his agreement), this is after overpricing[color=#990000][/color] even the logistics of how the items got to me.

please i am just curious, is it possible to buy a flames panel without the sticker indicating that it is flames? is there anyone with sample picture of how flames panels look? thank you

I know of 270w flames don't know if they make 250w

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oliyeniun: 2:02pm On Jan 14, 2020
Thank you sir! my thought exactly! i was highly disappointed in him. but it is what it is. lessons learned.
ojeysky:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 2:14pm On Jan 14, 2020
I bought and installed over 100units of Flames 300w Mono panels before I moved to strictly Tier 1s like Canadian Solar.

All the Flames panels I ever saw had their sticker specifying ratings and all - however, a sticker is not a badge of authenticity - Alaba folks are able to produce any sticker and slap it on any generic panel.

You are usually better off buying direct from a genuine source vs. a middleman. A google search would have unveiled at least two Flames dealerships within Lagos who are willing to sell to you and support you after sale.

My advise would be to pursue peaceful avenues of resolution with the person you bought from - no need for the relationship to degenerate to the extent that he cuts off contact with you.

If you already have Flames panels you had bought earlier, then let him explain/justify why this new set have a worse performance.

Have you eliminated other causes e.g time of day, shading, battery State of Charge, simultaenous charging with PHCN or Gen that may drive low yield?

Have you tested the panels over more than one day to see how they hold up?

oliyeniun:

He told me he was sending flames panels which he got direct from the company.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 3:01pm On Jan 14, 2020
Nobody responded to my questions.
embarassed
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 3:02pm On Jan 14, 2020
Pleae is there a solar group I can ask my questions and get Swift answer?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 3:06pm On Jan 14, 2020
tonididdy:

Good morning sir.
I wish I can study more about your last sentence. Tye installer installed the change over switch in this setup. He said it's for emergencies or if I wanted to run (on NEPA or gen) heavy devices like the pump machine, iron, microwave.

I'm really very amaturic in all of this. The panel setup I looked is negative- to negative notted together and positives + notted together. I believe if I get new panels I just have to do same (or am I wrong?)

That is what is called parallel connection(+ve to +ve; -ve to -ve). Series is two panels joined(one +ve to another -ve), then one +ve and one -ve from each panel is now taken.

You can do if you want to.

Sir, may i give a piece of advice. This is a DIY forum but you need to study on solar. "Nobody wants to build a house without first counting the cost". Several wrong and partialy right advice is rife here based on point of view and extent of knowledge.

If you dont update yourself, you will br disappointed with this solar thing. Paucity of funds made me go the DIY way and i have not regretted i did. Find time to read up sir.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 3:19pm On Jan 14, 2020
tonididdy:
Pleae is there a solar group I can ask my questions and get Swift answer?

Sir there are no fulltime members here. People only respond when they have the time.
Yoir cc says your max pv input is 390 watts and you already have 300. Meaning you have space for only 90watts. But given efficiency factor in the system yield. I think you can still add one or the two panels so far as the total voltage does not exceed voltage of 50v and current of 30amps that is the maximum of your cc capacity.

Suggestion is: wtrire down the presenrt yield. add one more panel, see the result, write down the total voltage and current. Remove the new panel, add the second new panel, write down the combined voltage and current. Thus you have known the individual yield of the two new panels. If you now add all together( old yield and new yield) if they are not above 50v and 30a, then you are good to go. My take, but i am subject to correction by the gurus in the house.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 3:39pm On Jan 14, 2020
ojeysky:

my 2pcs 200w flames panels bought from callmenuel have stickers too.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 3:56pm On Jan 14, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I bought and installed over 100units of Flames 300w Mono panels before I moved to strictly Tier 1s like Canadian Solar.

All the Flames panels I ever saw had their sticker specifying ratings and all - however, a sticker is not a badge of authenticity - Alaba folks are able to produce any sticker and slap it on any generic panel.

You are usually better off buying direct from a genuine source vs. a middleman. A google search would have unveiled at least two Flames dealerships within Lagos who are willing to sell to you and support you after sale.

My advise would be to pursue peaceful avenues of resolution with the person you bought from - no need for the relationship to degenerate to the extent that he cuts off contact with you.

If you already have Flames panels you had bought earlier, then let him explain/justify why this new set have a worse performance.

Have you eliminated other causes e.g time of day, shading, battery State of Charge, simultaenous charging with PHCN or Gen that may drive low yield?

Have you tested the panels over more than one day to see how they hold up?

If someone refuses to pick my calls again, i see no reason why i should hide his/her identity.
There is a seller on this platform whose after sales service is minus zero. I learnt he will even insult you if you disturb him too much. I read about him on another forun on nairaland. His name is promininent on this platform as well. Only thing is you have been transacting business with him for years without problem. What now happened?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 3:58pm On Jan 14, 2020
Valto:
my 2pcs 200w flames panels bought from callmenuel have stickers too.

Let me stick to my chinko panels with low yield than buy same rebranded/misbranded chinko panels at premium price. When i dont know about a thing, i search the net for info on it. Then utilise the info gathered. Barrister Jimoh Ibrahim(global fleet oil) was reqruiting managers, he taught them the essence of information. I learnt a lot from the session.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 4:02pm On Jan 14, 2020
Topmost11:

Let me stick to my chinko panels with low yield than buy same rebranded/misbranded chinko panels at premium price.
lolz grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 4:05pm On Jan 14, 2020
Valto:
lolz grin

Abi ke. If you no ger money you go get sense
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 4:10pm On Jan 14, 2020
oliyeniun:
Hi House,

from what u wrote up here. there no need hiding the identity of such a dubious fellow that have already cut off communication with you. u should name him, so we will take noteangry

7 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 4:34pm On Jan 14, 2020
Valto:
from what u wrote up here. there no need hiding the identity of such a dubious fellow that have already cut off communication with you. u should name him, so we will take noteangry
)

You have stated your case; expose him and let him defend himself here for all to hear his side too. Then the issue will be resolved.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 5:32pm On Jan 14, 2020
ojeysky:

I disconnected the Panels and followed the process in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZf-sm3UXX0

The issue has been determined and partly resolved. Anyone with suggestions on how best to clean solar panel surface, especially ones above human reach by default?

I read some literature about antidust coating, anyone with experience on it?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 6:28pm On Jan 14, 2020
oliyeniun:
Hi House,

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 6:39pm On Jan 14, 2020
200amphs Gaston battery available, #85000. Contact us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:42pm On Jan 14, 2020
laposta:
30A EPEVER MPPT Charge Controller available.

N35,000 only. If you'd prefer to deal through Jumia, I have a store on there.

Quote this message and we can start a conversation!

can you help me with the ecopy manual of this cc?
or anybody dat has it
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 7:23pm On Jan 14, 2020
Topmost11:

That is what is called parallel connection(+ve to +ve; -ve to -ve). Series is two panels joined(one +ve to another -ve), then one +ve and one -ve from each panel is now taken.

You can do if you want to.

Sir, may i give a piece of advice. This is a DIY forum but you need to study on solar. "Nobody wants to build a house without first counting the cost". Several wrong and partialy right advice is rife here based on point of view and extent of knowledge.

If you dont update yourself, you will br disappointed with this solar thing. Paucity of funds made me go the DIY way and i have not regretted i did. Find time to read up sir.
thanks sir.
This setup is for my granny. I don't want it to last only a year and that's it.
The installer is a very busy guy. I have to do this myself.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 7:29pm On Jan 14, 2020
Topmost11:

Sir there are no fulltime members here. People only respond when they have the time.
Yoir cc says your max pv input is 390 watts and you already have 300. Meaning you have space for only 90watts. But given efficiency factor in the system yield. I think you can still add one or the two panels so far as the total voltage does not exceed voltage of 50v and current of 30amps that is the maximum of your cc capacity.

Suggestion is: wtrire down the presenrt yield. add one more panel, see the result, write down the total voltage and current. Remove the new panel, add the second new panel, write down the combined voltage and current. Thus you have known the individual yield of the two new panels. If you now add all together( old yield and new yield) if they are not above 50v and 30a, then you are good to go. My take, but i am subject to correction by the gurus in the house.

Hello sir. Good evening. Thanks for taking time to reply me, I do understand replies are based on time factor.

My setup is just one 220AH battery, 12v system... The installer said it's a setup for mostly night usage and I have to compliment it with NEPA and Gen. I believe a full charge on the CC will be 50v (forgive my ignorance).

At night we use between 13.1v to 12.2v at night by dawn according to the CC readings.

Am not an electrical guy, it's hard for me to understand these terms and usage.

I will take your advice and add a 150w panel. I hope it doesn't blow up my battery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 8:57pm On Jan 14, 2020
tonididdy:

Hello sir. Good evening. Thanks for taking time to reply me, I do understand replies are based on time factor.

My setup is just one 220AH battery, 12v system... The installer said it's a setup for mostly night usage and I have to compliment it with NEPA and Gen. I believe a full charge on the CC will be 50v (forgive my ignorance).

At night we use between 13.1v to 12.2v at night by dawn according to the CC readings.

Am not an electrical guy, it's hard for me to understand these terms and usage.

I will take your advice and add a 150w panel. I hope it doesn't blow up my battery.

I stand to be corrected. Max that your cc can take is 50v. The draws(power being used) from your BATTERY is what you are seeing as indicated on your cc as 13.1 to 12.2(thats why it is reducing). You will see the shape of battery when that reading is indicated. It is different from your panel load(which is indicated when you see shape/logo of panel on the cc screen. Your cc will accomodate that. On attached pix, you see 8. +and 32.+ but it may instead of 8.+ not show more than 4.+ . My panels that is 4×150 watts panel to total 600 watts in reality gives me max of 23+v and 17+a.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 9:07pm On Jan 14, 2020
@tonididdy. I suhhest you go to the beginning of this thread ie 1 and read till 10. It will answer most if not all your questions. Best of luck

PS: endeavour to remove the inverter from on top of the battery ASAPas advised. Your installer is not a nice fellow(forgive my use of the language). Did he forget these things heat up?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 9:11pm On Jan 14, 2020
Topmost11:

I stand to be corrected. Max that your cc can take is 50v. The draws(power being used) from your BATTERY is what you are seeing as indicated on your cc as 13.1 to 12.2(thats why it is reducing). You will see the shape of battery when that reading is indicated. It is different from your panel load(which is indicated when you see shape/logo of panel on the cc screen. Your cc will accomodate that. On attached pix, you see 8. +and 32.+ but it may instead of 8.+ not show more than 4.+ . My panels that is 4×150 watts panel to total 600 watts in reality gives me max of 23+v and 17+a.
One question please, do you really think (according to my CC details and setup) that I can add extra 300w panel to this setup?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 9:12pm On Jan 14, 2020
Topmost11:
@tonididdy. I suhhest you go to the beginning of this thread ie 1 and read till 10. It will answer most if not all your questions. Best of luck

PS: endeavour to remove the inverter from on top of the battery ASAPas advised. Your installer is not a nice fellow(forgive my use of the language). Did he forget these things heat up?
Ok thanks, I will do this first thing in the morning
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 9:18pm On Jan 14, 2020
tonididdy:

One question please, do you really think (according to my CC details and setup) that I can add extra 300w panel to this setup?

And what is the capacity of your cc, 10,20,30,40,50,60+ amps?
Post the reading of your cc when at solar panel and when at battery so we can see your harvest first.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 9:30pm On Jan 14, 2020
Topmost11:

And what is the capacity of your cc, 10,20,30,40,50,60+ amps?
Post the reading of your cc when at solar panel and when at battery so we can see your harvest first.
ok this?

I can have a batt3 reading on the CC of 12.9v as at 5pm...because immediately usage kicks in, the reading drops immediately to mostly 12.9v and by morning, I will have 12.1, 12.2 and the batt3 bar would have dropped to 2bars.

It's never emptied overnight before.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 10:30pm On Jan 14, 2020
Topmost11:

Hi friends thanks so much for your mentions. I really appreciate. I took your advice and studied the first page to know exactly the wattage of panel I would need for my setup.

This is the calculation I came up with according to page 1(i maybe wrong though, forgive my ignorance but I willing to learn and take corrections).

According to page 1,to know the panel or batt3 needed, one needs to know the sum total watts of all appliances expected to be used and hours expected to be used, multiply by 1.2 (this is if we assume to get at least 85% efficency considering no setup is 100%) and then divide that by the number of hours of sunlight got a day... The total is the required wattage of panel needed.

Using this guide, I calculated thus:
TV 60watts X 10hrs usage (5pm to 2am)
Dstv 30w X 10hrs
Fan 30w X 20hrs

Equals 600+300+600
Total 1500wh

1500wh X 1.2 equals 1800wh
To know the panel needed
We divide 1800 by 7hrs (this is the sun uptime, if the sun is best at 10am to 4pm)

1800wh/7= 257w.

This means I need a 257w panels to supply energy at my given time and my setup has 300w panels.

BUT in all of this, why don't I get full charge after 7hrs of sunlight? Does this mean my panels may not be giving 300w supply to the batteries?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by solasola(m): 10:34pm On Jan 14, 2020
tonididdy:
ok this?

I can have a batt3 reading on the CC of 12.9v as at 5pm...because immediately usage kicks in, the reading drops immediately to mostly 12.9v and by morning, I will have 12.1, 12.2 and the batt3 bar would have dropped to 2bars.

It's never emptied overnight before.
from the little I deduce, your system is running very well. dod is around 50-40%, so why do you want to add more panels?.Check you cc manual for the max current.

(1) (2) (3) ... (644) (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) ... (1704) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Chikach, jonescosmos and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.