Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,420 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (678) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2092250 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) (680) (681) ... (1709) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 11:50pm On Feb 24, 2020
solasola:
The way you guys analyse solar energy is heartbreaking to me. 19kw array? Are you running a cold room. Well thanks all so far for sharing. I have learnt a lot as
I started out running my old car battery (75ah)with a 150w panel and just run all lights on dc and sometimes tv via a modified inverter. But now i have upgraded to a 2.2kw array,a 60amp pmw, and a 24v/ 200ah setup. Setup doing really good with 50% dod.I now make cool money with my solar knowledge. Thanks to ceasar, niyi.....mctfop..,ojeysky,earthrealm and all.......you guy ignited the electrical spirit in me. THANK YOU ALL.

Some chairmen cant do without ac.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 12:37am On Feb 25, 2020
solasola:
The way you guys analyse solar energy is heartbreaking to me. 19kw array? Are you running a cold room. Well thanks all so far for sharing. I have learnt a lot as

I started out running my old car battery (75ah)with a 150w panel and just run all lights on dc and sometimes tv via a modified inverter.

But now i have upgraded to a 2.2kw array,a 60amp pmw, and a 24v/ 200ah setup. Setup doing really good with 50% dod.

I now make cool money with my solar knowledge. Thanks to ceasar, niyi.....mctfop..,ojeysky,earthrealm and all.......you guy ignited the electrical spirit in me. THANK YOU ALL.

I started out with 100ah lead acid with a suoer 1000w inverter with built in charger

Looking forward to an upgrade year end wrn money show. Going for solar, this is just a test run for me now, as my pocket tight
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 12:39am On Feb 25, 2020
zeestone99:

Some chairmen cant do without ac.

My Brother u talk true

AC is no longer a luxury ohhh but a necessity, d heat dis says na die

God need to bless man so we can still buy 1HP
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Mjolnir: 12:55am On Feb 25, 2020
emyfine08:
Please house I have 5kva inverter 24v not yet set it up
My load Watts is about 3000w
I need set it up for 24hr uninterrupted power supply come rain come shines.
What du I need for the set up?.Thanks in advance

3000w and u want it to run 247?..
Bros..you have a long way to go.
I suggest you start reading from 100 pages or more back.
You need to fill the large gaps in your solar/RE knowledge base.

To gove u a hint, a 12v 200ah battery can only safely power a 200w load for about 5 hrs, and and theoritically power a 3000w load for about 15mins, so u do the maths and see how many batts to carry 3000w load for 24 hours

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:09am On Feb 25, 2020
solasola:
I started out running my old car battery (75ah)with a 150w panel and just run all lights on dc and sometimes tv via a modified inverter. But now i have upgraded to a 2.2kw array,a 60amp pmw, and a 24v/ 200ah setup. Setup doing really good with 50% dod.I now make cool money with my solar knowledge. Thanks to ceasar, niyi.....mctfop..,ojeysky,earthrealm and all.......you guy ignited the electrical spirit in me. THANK YOU ALL.

Why not MPPT, with such an array I suggest you use MPPT controller instead. The performance will shock you when compared to pwm.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:14am On Feb 25, 2020
solasola:
But now i have upgraded to a 2.2kw array,a 60amp pmw, and a 24v/ 200ah setup.

ojeysky:

Why not MPPT, with such an array I suggest you use MPPT controller instead. The performance will shock you when compared to pwm.

I agree with ojesky, you are better off with an MPPT SCC. That way you get to maximize your 2.2kv PV array's yield. Welcome to the green club grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:35am On Feb 25, 2020
spartacus11:

My Brother u talk true

AC is no longer a luxury ohhh but a necessity, d heat dis says na die

God need to bless man so we can still buy 1HP

Yes o. God bless us. Amen
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:47am On Feb 25, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Truly it was a struggle to the last day.

My friends on here pitched me huge 2v banks up to 2000Ah for significantly less than the cost of Lithium.

One deciding factor was that my company has a few Lithium installs under our belt, it is the cornerstone of our business success to use the products we sell so we have a wealth of real field experience and can provide valuable support to our customers.

In the end it was a happy accident as I ended up with a huge PV array - 19kw as part of the deal and not too crazy a cost.

A couple of pain points though;

1) Had to give up my beloved MorningStar CCs as they pulled support for PylonTech.

2) A lot of premium copper connectors, ferrules e.t.c i purchased for lead acid have now gone to waste.

3) PylonTech is a smart/managed battery - I understand that you cannot simply connect an inverter to the battery terminals and use - even if you make all settings for charge and discharge within safe tolerance. The PylonTech expects a keepalive signal from your inverter or control box else it switches off after a set interval. I have not seen this yet in practice but I went in with all the right tools to do it properly anyways. The 2 clients I installed for used an Axpert and Steca respectively so things were a lot simpler there.

4) Despite paying top dollar for 2 Victron Quattros (15kva & 8kva) and undrerstanding that Victron supports PylonTech, I found to my chagrin I had to purchase a Victron GX control device to sit between Inverter and Battery and CCs and Battery for everything to work. I had to return a VE.Can Victron CC purchased at a good price because only VE.Direct and VE.Bus Victron products are compatible.
[/b]
With my huge array, quite a challenge integrating 4 CCs into one GX device - had to purchase an assortment of cables and USB hub to make things work.[/b]

5) All in all quite a bit of complexity to work through - what is needed is a lot more than just connect inverter, CCs and battery to bus bar. In my setup, the Inverter, CCs are slaves to the PylonTech BMS with the Venus GX device acting as governor for the relationship and communication.

If any device loses connection to the GX, it goes offline and may be cumbersome to restart. If the BMS faults out and shuts down the battery, nothing else will work till the GX device can start - remember GX requires battery and battery has gone off grin either you have another smaller independent dumb lead acid or Lithium battery to power the GX off of or you use mains supply to kickstart the inverter and battery.

In short a lot can go wrong that is just software and interface. You dont face all these challenges with Lead Acid.

In the end I was able to setup an entire working system with remote monitoring working alone over the course of two evenings - with this I became certain I was called to this profession indeed.

My back, upper arms and pocket still hurt though grin grin grin

No be small walaha o, one of the reasons I'm trying ac coupling for my next major project. I'm using a victron Quattro and fronius. Wanted to use byd but now that everybody is hailing pylon. Lemme go back to drawing board.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:49am On Feb 25, 2020
Pylon appears to be the better battery based on hard core field testing.

BYD is also about 13% more expensive for thesame Kwh.

See report below.

https://www-solarquotes-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/battery-test-7th-report/amp/

I have yet to see a strong case made for AC coupled systems in Nigeria especially when there is poor grid supply and a requirement for energy storage for night time use.

zeestone99:

No be small walaha o, one of the reasons I'm trying ac coupling for my next major project. I'm using a victron Quattro and fronius. Wanted to use byd but now that everybody is hailing pylon. Lemme go back to drawing board.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by simydan(m): 10:19am On Feb 25, 2020
emyfine08:
Please house I have 5kva inverter 24v not yet set it up
My load Watts is about 3000w
I need set it up for 24hr uninterrupted power supply come rain come shines.
What du I need for the set up?.Thanks in advance

3000W load for 24hrs come rain come sunshine shocked shocked shocked

Bros! Reconsider o!! Even the big leagues in this group don't run 3000W load 24hrs not alone use the word come rain come sunshine...

But, if your pocket really heavy for that kind of project, I no sure say you go get free quote for that setup o. Plus the service of an expert will be needed.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 11:03am On Feb 25, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

See report below.

https://www-solarquotes-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/battery-test-7th-report/amp/

I have yet to see a strong case made for AC coupled systems in Nigeria especially when there is poor grid supply and a requirement for energy storage for night time use.

Pylon we go. Don't worry when I'm done. You would be convinced to go that route considering the size of your array.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 12:09pm On Feb 25, 2020
Go which route?
zeestone99:

Pylon we go. Don't worry when I'm done. You would be convinced to go that route considering the size of your array.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jamzig1(m): 12:55pm On Feb 25, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

See report below.

For a strictly day time use, I would rather go the AC coupled way.
Please can you give an estimate of how much you got the Pylons for?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 1:06pm On Feb 25, 2020
Barezzi:
Go which route?

AC coupling.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 1:06pm On Feb 25, 2020
Jamzig1:

For a strictly day time use, I would rather go the AC coupled way.
Please can you give an estimate of how much you got the Pylons for?

Exactly.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 3:49pm On Feb 25, 2020
zeestone99:

So this anti lithium man has gone lithium. I thought you will wait till 2021 grin. That's how you broke the heart of your girlfriend(lead acid).
Congrats bro

grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by solasola(m): 9:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
ojeysky:

I am ordering one via aliexpress soon. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by solasola(m): 10:08pm On Feb 25, 2020
mctfopt:

I agree with ojesky, you are better off with an MPPT SCC. That way you get to maximize your 2.2kv PV array's yield. Welcome to the green club grin
Yes, am doing that asap
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by truthbetold22: 10:49pm On Feb 25, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

My friends on here pitched me huge 2v banks up to 2000Ah for significantly less than the cost of Lithium.

One deciding factor was that my company has a few Lithium installs under our belt, it is the cornerstone of our business success to use the products we sell so we have a wealth of real field experience and can provide valuable support to our customers.

In the end it was a happy accident as I ended up with a huge PV array - 19kw as part of the deal and not too crazy a cost.

1) Had to give up my beloved MorningStar CCs as they pulled support for PylonTech.

2) A lot of premium copper connectors, ferrules e.t.c i purchased for lead acid have now gone to waste.

3) PylonTech is a smart/managed battery - I understand that you cannot simply connect an inverter to the battery terminals and use - even if you make all settings for charge and discharge within safe tolerance. The PylonTech expects a keepalive signal from your inverter or control box else it switches off after a set interval. I have not seen this yet in practice but I went in with all the right tools to do it properly anyways. The 2 clients I installed for used an Axpert and Steca respectively so things were a lot simpler there.

4) Despite paying top dollar for 2 Victron Quattros (15kva & 8kva) and undrerstanding that Victron supports PylonTech, I found to my chagrin I had to purchase a Victron GX control device to sit between Inverter and Battery and CCs and Battery for everything to work. I had to return a VE.Can Victron CC purchased at a good price because only VE.Direct and VE.Bus Victron products are compatible.

With my huge array, quite a challenge integrating 4 CCs into one GX device - had to purchase an assortment of cables and USB hub to make things work.

5) All in all quite a bit of complexity to work through - what is needed is a lot more than just connect inverter, CCs and battery to bus bar. In my setup, the Inverter, CCs are slaves to the PylonTech BMS with the Venus GX device acting as governor for the relationship and communication.

If any device loses connection to the GX, it goes offline and may be cumbersome to restart. If the BMS faults out and shuts down the battery, nothing else will work till the GX device can start - remember GX requires battery and battery has gone off grin either you have another smaller independent dumb lead acid or Lithium battery to power the GX off of or you use mains supply to kickstart the inverter and battery.

In short a lot can go wrong that is just software and interface. You dont face all these challenges with Lead Acid.

In the end I was able to setup an entire working system with remote monitoring working alone over the course of two evenings - with this I became certain I was called to this profession indeed.

In all sincerity, you have the most inefficient system on this Forum. I am not sure why the other enthusiast choose to ignore but renewable energy is not a race or a competition of the largest solar array and largest battery bank. It is more a function of getting steady power at a reasonable and comparative price as opposed to relying on the national grid.

Even at 3X solar capacity production, you would be generating 60,000 watts daily. I struggle to understand why anyone would go through that much energy in a day for a regular house and claim to be a renewable energy enthusiast. It isn't a function of deep pockets, it is more a stupid approach.

Simply swapping out a few energy guzzling appliances and using timers and energy saving lighting will reduce your consumption by half. I struggle to understand how spending 10 million on Solar which needs to be swapped out in 10 years makes sense. At that price point, you are paying 80-100K per month effectively. What then would it cost to simply be on generators.

Again, if you have as much wisdom as you display on this forum, you do not need 19,000 watts of installed panels. Not sure what point you are trying to prove but need I remind you that you are not a factory and do not live in a palace.

Good luck with your endeavors, I mean no harm.

7 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 4:39am On Feb 26, 2020
So much bitterness and jealousy in one post!
Projections... You cannot project your lifestyle unto another whose bills you do not foot! Na ya money?

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 5:11am On Feb 26, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

With my huge array, quite a challenge integrating 4 CCs into one GX device - had to purchase an assortment of cables and USB hub to make things work.

nice one niyi. Please any pictures of your current set-up?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by truthbetold22: 5:48am On Feb 26, 2020
Barezzi:
So much bitterness and jealousy in one post!
Projections... You cannot project your lifestyle unto another whose bills you do not foot! Na ya money?

Shut up sir.

For the average uninformed black man, any form of criticism is jealousy, envy and bitterness so you are no different. That is exactly why Africa is where it is today. We all have to think and act same way. If you took the time to read my message carefully and understood the finer details, you would have simply countered my points or held your peace. It isn't a function of a lifestyle projection. It is simply a function of system efficiency. At that level, it is no longer a wise or cost effective install.

Why should I be bitter or jealous over a solar installation? If I had just 2 batteries and had constant electricity, have I not fulfilled the same need as Niyi? Do I need to have 50,000 Watts of Panels when 3000 watts can do the job? You must be very dense.

Next time, try to sound intelligent.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 6:06am On Feb 26, 2020
Haba! See the way you're foaming at the mouth... Jealousy kills!!
Earn and spend your own money. You reek of so much bitterness and poverty.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 6:57am On Feb 26, 2020
truthbetold22:

Shut up sir.

For the average uninformed black man, any form of criticism is jealousy, envy and bitterness so you are no different. That is exactly why Africa is where it is today. We all have to think and act same way. If you took the time to read my message carefully and understood the finer details, you would have simply countered my points or held your peace. It isn't a function of a lifestyle projection. It is simply a function of system efficiency. At that level, it is no longer a wise or cost effective install.

Why should I be bitter or jealous over a solar installation? If I had just 2 batteries and had constant electricity, have I not fulfilled the same need as Niyi? Do I need to have 50,000 Watts of Panels when 3000 watts can do the job? You must be very dense.

Next time, try to sound intelligent.

Oga, what are you saying exactly?

Check the previous page, someone want to have a Load of 3000watts for 24/7, Do the maths !!!

You are saying why live in a Mansion, when A room self-contained is all you need to sleep and wake up grin grin grin grin cry cry

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by truthbetold22: 7:33am On Feb 26, 2020
Barezzi:
Haba! See the way you're foaming at the mouth... Jealousy kills!!
Earn and spend your own money. You reek of so much bitterness and poverty.

You are still dense sir.. U won’t get the point, u can’t get the point because you are too unintelligent to.. you are the rich one, because you got 10k panels.. Mr reek of poverty..

Again, no regular home needs 19k watts of panels and a 23kva combined inverter.. rant all you want but solar energy is about efficiency and not size..

If in doubt, tell him to list the appliances he runs
Daily With 60,000-100,000 watts everyday and u ll immediately become the foolish one..

Till then, keep acting like an illiterate black man who throws money lavishly at issues that simple logic can solve.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:34am On Feb 26, 2020
@truthbetold22, your opinion/message is well noted, but you may have passed the message/aired your opinion wrongly.
what you are saying is akin to castigating someone who paid 2.5m for a biz/first class return ticket to usa, and the man in economy paid 450k, for same trip, same airplane..just more comfort, or when i was much younger, i couldnt understand why/how people could spend over 100k to buy a mobile phone....i saw it as madness grin grin, when back then to me a mobile fone is just to make calls and send sms, max i set for myself then to buy a phone was 40k to 50k max!!!! grin grin.

some people are used to having a 40kva - 100kva gen chugging 24/7, powering all household acs 24/7 or when ever phcn goes, switching to inverters and hoping to run 2 0r 3 acs, you would need a robust system to handle such, or are you saying solar is only for lean 2 or 4 battery setups

i could give you a 1000 examples, but with this 3, i hope you get the drift.
niyi and pranil are among the people i look forward to reading their input here, as they have a wealth of knowledge and are willing to help. this your kind of post may actually discourage some people from posting their setups/making any meaningful contribution here.

lastly, there is what is called oversizing in RE biz, that most of us dont do it, doesnt make anyone who oversizes foolish. the norm is to oversize your system for 3 to 5 days of bad weather/no sun, hence your solar panel array and your battery bank should carry your load for 3days minimum of bad weather

if you reconsider, i would suggest you review and delete that your comment, likewise other people who have quoted you

10 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 7:51am On Feb 26, 2020
truthbetold22:

You are still dense sir.. U won’t get the point, u can’t get the point because you are too unintelligent to.. you are the rich one, because you got 10k panels.. Mr reek of poverty..

Again, no regular home needs 19k watts of panels and a 23kva combined inverter.. rant all you want but solar energy is about efficiency and not size..

If in doubt , tell him to list the appliances he runs
Daily With 60,000-100,000 watts everyday and u ll immediately become the foolish one..

Till then, keep acting like an illiterate black man who throws money lavishly at issues that simple logic can solve.

You were meant to make inquiry and understand the Load involved !!!

I put this to you, What is the Ideal set up for some who uses 2000Watts 24/7, you think he only need 3KW panels

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) (680) (681) ... (1709) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: futurenix(m), iabdulrazaq(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.