Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,446 members, 7,823,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2076708 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (1701) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AYME: 12:32pm On Jul 03, 2014
c0ogumo: Let me know if you can pick it up in Ibadan.
I have 2 TS-M-2
molley4real@hotmail.com
BB PIN: 79DD915D
whatsapp: 973-204-1296

Of course I can Pick it up. just let me know the price.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 1:14pm On Jul 03, 2014
AYME:

Of course I can Pick it up. just let me know the price.

I do not like to post prices online. Please contact me through the links below for pricing.

molley4real@hotmail.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AYME: 9:39pm On Jul 03, 2014
c0ogumo:
I do not like to post prices online. Please contact me through the links below for pricing.
molley4real@hotmail.com

Kindly check your mail box.

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:02am On Jul 04, 2014
BONANZA BONANZA BONANZA !!!!!!

MUST POWER 3000w 24v pure sinewave power inverter.... @ 100k

Tojan flooded USA batteries 12v 205a.... #almost out of stock#

Mercury 3.5kva 24v Pure sinewave lcd inverter (inbuilt 70ahm intelligent max charger for large battery bank) #charges with Gen unlike Cyberpower,, easy installation unlike cyberpower,,powers heavier appliances"inductive/resistive/motors/rectifier loads" with the help of 40 inbuilt powerful mosfets driving out o/p capacity of 2500w and max surge protect of 7500w under 0.7 power factor.......... @ 95k

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

CALL FRANKIE NOW FOR SUPPLIES 08135031951 .... THANKS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 1:48am On Jul 05, 2014
Trojan Tips 2 - Determining the Health of a Deep-Cycle Battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgiII0OnAZg
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pheleix: 10:12am On Jul 05, 2014
c0ogumo: Trojan Tips 2 - Determining the Health of a Deep-Cycle Battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgiII0OnAZg

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:13pm On Jul 05, 2014
@cOogumo & pheleix » Thanks for sharing that LINK once again. Trojan batteries vapourises/gases more only when you equalize/desulphate or overcharge them ... All batteries have vent holes but you need an airy/open environment mostly during voltage & electrolyte equalization process which occurs seldomly and *must be handled by a professional*.. SIMPLY DIAL-UP 08135031951 FOR MORE BRIEFING ! Thanks

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 11:13am On Jul 06, 2014
@House, please does anyone know the price if a Copper earth rod for a lightening arrestor set up?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pharyn(m): 6:59pm On Jul 08, 2014
Good day everyone. Please where or from whom can I get the timer switch for managing power (especially to Fridge and Freezers)?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 8:44am On Jul 11, 2014
where is everyone... am i on the wrong thread?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 9:49am On Jul 11, 2014
TotalGreen: where is everyone... am i on the wrong thread?
. Probably dealing with the clouds and low sunshine.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 11:30am On Jul 11, 2014
Pharyn: Good day everyone. Please where or from whom can I get the timer switch for managing power (especially to Fridge and Freezers)?
Amazon u.k.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 11:56am On Jul 11, 2014
TotalGreen: where is everyone... am i on the wrong thread?
I dey o Oga me. how Yr side sir.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 3:37pm On Jul 11, 2014
where is everyone... am i on the wrong thread?
lol, the crash has hidden everybody
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pharyn(m): 7:45pm On Jul 11, 2014
Akanniade:
Amazon u.k.
Thanks.
Please Do you have any seller/distributor (of timer switch) in Nigeria?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Ogojohn(m): 10:00pm On Jul 11, 2014
Any installer at ONITSHA that can install a complete solar system should call 07030470969. urgently needed. All the material is down and complete.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:39pm On Jul 12, 2014
BONANZA BONANZA BONANZA !!!!!!

MUST POWER 3000w 24v pure sinewave power inverter.... @ 100k

Tojan flooded USA batteries 12v 205a.... #almost out of stock#

Mercury 3.5kva 24v Pure sinewave lcd inverter (inbuilt 70ahm intelligent max charger for large battery bank) #charges with Gen unlike Cyberpower,, easy installation unlike cyberpower,,powers heavier appliances"inductive/resistive/motors/rectifier loads" with the help of 40 inbuilt powerful mosfets driving out o/p capacity of 2500w and max surge protect of 7500w under 0.7 power factor.......... @ 95k

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

CALL FRANKIE NOW FOR SUPPLIES 08135031951 .... THANKS
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 3:24pm On Jul 12, 2014
It was a wonderful experience. An experience that will remain in my memory for a long time. Richmond74 hosted me as a guest for 3 days. During which I had d opportunity to see him install those panels up in one of his numerous sites at lekki. I had d opportunity to climb up d 3 storey building with him and observe.
I also had d privilege to meet some great nairalanders in d forum( though dey are silent readers ).... Also met one on one with Feasy1 ( d big boss) in one the sites. In fact, it was really a blessing.
I appreciate u Oga Richmond. More blessing.
Engr Joe and Mfon...God bless u guys...u're wonderful.
My brother, Mr Tunde....givers never lack. May u continue to flourish in health n wealth. Thank u sir.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by viazi: 4:27pm On Jul 12, 2014
@George-D and other Gurus ,

I need your Urgent advice on the Best 1.5KVA Inverter to buy and the best batteries to go with them. My Location is Abuja.
Its urgent as I intend to move next week.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 7:05pm On Jul 13, 2014
viazi: @George-D and other Gurus ,
I need your Urgent advice on the Best 1.5KVA Inverter to buy and the best batteries to go with them. My Location is Abuja.
Its urgent as I intend to move next week.

The best will probably be the most expensive - Magnum, Xantrex and then Tripp Lite. @abunafiu and @George_D can give their experiences with Sukam.

However, take my word with a pinch of salt.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:01pm On Jul 14, 2014
am using luminous 1.5kva 24v with 2 units of 12v 200amphr deep cycle batts......still going steady about 18months since installation..........the only shortcoming is that it doesnt display batt life remaining in %....or batt charge %
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cezeozue: 9:26am On Jul 16, 2014
This is a fantastic forum and it's exciting to see all the interest in renewable energy here. I'm especially pleased to see George_D echoing my concerns about Indian inverters. After getting burned once on a Luminous (I think) inverter. I swore off them. But in the interest of thoroughness in my market research, I decided to reconsider and stumbled on this page. I have so many more pages to read and so much more to learn from you guys but I wanted to toss a couple of questions out as well.

1. I haven't seen any talk about Outback batteries despite their seemingly impressive cycle life - 1800 cycles at 50% DoD. Any thoughts?
2. If folks are interested in going entirely off-grid, is there a reason not to go with a standalone inverter instead of an inverter/charger? It appears that this approach will expand the options available and produce some lower-priced options even for premium brands.
3. In a similar vein, what about the option of standalone inverter + separate battery charger?
4. Has anyone had issues with landlords preventing solar panel installations on their rented apartments.

Again, this is an impressive forum and I look forward to reading more from you guys.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 3:44pm On Jul 16, 2014
Dear friends, I found some days off my crazy schedule in the office and after resting the whole of the first day I decided to check how my renewable power setup was doing on the second.

Most people would have noticed the cloudy skies especially in and around Ibadan in the last one or two weeks, my 2.7kw solar panels was delivering just about 1kw at the time I logged into the morning star mppt CC.

Just then, a question came into my mind, which would be cost effective? Building a 3 day battery autonomy or installing enough panels to be able to provide the needed power during cloudy days?

I think doubling required panel size might just be better because the average life span of the solar panel is like double that of the battery, moreso while panels can be added at will, it is not that advise able to add more batteries to a bank that is older than 6months.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cezeozue: 6:02am On Jul 17, 2014
bodejohn: Just then, a question came into my mind, which would be cost effective? Building a 3 day battery autonomy or installing enough panels to be able to provide the needed power during cloudy days?
I think doubling required panel size might just be better because the average life span of the solar panel is like double that of the battery, moreso while panels can be added at will, it is not that advise able to add more batteries to a bank that is older than 6months.

There's software that let's you make the right tradeoff. Have you heard of Homer Energy Systems?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 12:40pm On Jul 17, 2014
bodejohn: Dear friends, I found some days off my crazy schedule in the office and after resting the whole of the first day I decided to check how my renewable power setup was doing on the second.

Most people would have noticed the cloudy skies especially in and around Ibadan in the last one or two weeks, my 2.7kw solar panels was delivering just about 1kw at the time I logged into the morning star mppt CC.

Just then, a question came into my mind, which would be cost effective? Building a 3 day battery autonomy or installing enough panels to be able to provide the needed power during cloudy days?

It all boiled down to trade off on one side or the other. With prevailing weather, more battery autonomy would mean better security but how do u plan to charge the more battery. Which mean possibility of trading off batteries life and efficiency if present panel available cannot bring them back to full charge.

Panel cost keep dropping by the day and can live longer than any batteries available today. Getting more panels to conveniently handle cloudy days will ensure better juice for batteries and even lesser cost.

I am presently running my house with 520ah batteries (2 strings of 260ah batterie) and 3600W panels. If I can survive cloudy weather in Port Harcourt with this setup, you won't have reason to complain in Ibadan.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 6:47pm On Jul 17, 2014
salam12:

I am presently running my house with 520ah batteries (2 strings of 260ah batterie) and 3600W panels. If I can survive cloudy weather in Port Harcourt with this setup, you won't have reason to complain in Ibadan.

I wasn't complanning as I still get enough from my panels even on rainning days. I was just looking forward to when I will be changing my current batteries.
I just think it will be better to invest in more panels than more days of autonomy in the battery bank.
I have often wondered why George D has that much panels...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 8:14pm On Jul 17, 2014
bodejohn:

I wasn't complanning as I still get enough from my panels even on rainning days. I was just looking forward to when I will be changing my current batteries.
I just think it will be better to invest in more panels than more days of autonomy in the battery bank.
I have often wondered why George D has that much panels...

Please don't get me wrong with the word COMPLAIN. Just making inference to substantiate benefit of more panels vis a vis location influence. Base on weather effect, we do have more cloudy days in PH compared to Ibadan. I do pop into Ibadan every two months and already planning toward relocating to the ancient city.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Segxzy003: 8:24pm On Jul 19, 2014
Please how many solar panel will i need to charge four 200ah battery of 12V on 3.5KVA 48V inverter and what is the cost of solar panel (200W and above).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 4:06pm On Jul 21, 2014
Segxzy003: Please how many solar panel will i need to charge four 200ah battery of 12V on 3.5KVA 48V inverter and what is the cost of solar panel (200W and above).

Read page 0 of the thread
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Segxzy003: 2:48am On Jul 22, 2014
tundebabzy:

Read page 0 of the thread

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olak2k8: 1:50pm On Jul 22, 2014
sathob: Well, great people of FTA, I think I should start this on behalf of George_D because of the request made by others who have expressed interest in alternate electricity, especially solar energy. Our FTA independence is not complete if we are to suffer frequent power outages and been dependant on the nation’s electricity grid system always. I have read in this house many times, from members “PHCN don go off, so I will track later when they come back”. No one can run away from power outages in the main electricity grid – not even the west, it happens. Hence, we all should have alternate electricity and using renewable energy is, to me, the best. This means one can enjoy their FTA fully by being totally free and not “dom” (dominated).

Look at some advantages
• Lower or no electricity bills
• Compared to generator users, there is no fuel cost and stress of getting it and no fumes.
• People living in the remote locations where power is unavailable or too expensive to hook-up too can have electricity.
Just to mention but a few.

Without going into detail, one can enjoy electricity by means of using solar energy (energy from the sun), wind mill (using energy from the wind). Don’t forget, where there is frequent electricity supply from the utility company, you can store some energy for back up.

You will need the following to complete a solar project or back up.

1. Solar panels
2. Power Inverter
3. Charge controller
4. Batteries to store energy
5. wires and cables
6. Monitors/meters

The solar panel consists of cells called photo voltaic cells and these, covert the energy received from the sun to electricity in simple terms (this electricity is a direct current
d.c). The panels can last up to 20 years plus. The panels can be fixed, adjustable or of the tracking type. You can decide to go for a complete panel from manufacturers (already made) or build panels by yourself using solar cells- the latter is for the hobbyist. The panels are rated in watts eg 80w solar panel supplying 12v continuous at a given time

The inverter
Power Inverters are available in 3 basic designs, two of which I remember very well now – the one that out sinusoidal waves and those that are modified sign wave type (meaning not pure sine waves and do have limits when it comes to its application) . The power inverter converts your storage battery power into the 240 volts AC that runs your appliances. It is the heart of your solar energy system. Unless you only run 12 volt DC appliances you will need a power inverter to supply your AC. This is just the basics.

The Charge Controller
A Charge Controller is necessary to protect the batteries from over charging and supply them with the proper amount of energy to promote long battery life.

Batteries
Without Storage Batteries to store energy you would only have power when the sun was shining. There is a lot more to batteries than just the ordinary car battery. Yo may need to change batteries over the years.

Wires and Cables
Without the right size of cables, you are likely to experience inefficient transfer of power (greater losses) and overheating.

Meters
This is required to monitor the performance of your solar system.

Firstly, it is very necessary to know what gadgets you will be using (eg.tv, sat. receiver) and how long you will use how long you would have them on the solar power and how much energy your battery can store and which solar panel (rating in power) will supply the required energy.

A lot goes into calculating the cost of setting up a solar system. First one has to consider the period of usable sunlight available at their location to do this calculation. For us here close to the equator, we get about 7 to 8 hours or more of sunlight during dry season, just a rough estimate.

How do I know I need 100w or 80w or 300 watts solar panel for my project?

The power consumption of appliances is given in Watts. To calculate the energy you will use over time, just multiply the power consumption by the hours of use.

Eg. If I have 90W tv set which I want to use for 6hrs, 25W satellite receiver for the same period, and a 50W fan for 3 hours. What will be the energy required from the solar panels for the period?

1. the energy for each appliance is Watts x time (hours) = Wh

So, the watt hours for the tv = 90 x 6 = 540 Wh (watt hours)

Watt hours for sat. receiver = 25 x 6 = 150 Wh

Watt hours for fan will be = 50 x 3 = 150 Wh

2. sum the watt hours for the individual appliances ie. 540 + 150 + 150 = 840 Wh (watt hours)

This means that the solar panel will need to supply 840 watt hours of energy to the battery each day to cover the total power required by these appliances.

3. since there are bound to be losses in the system However, to account for natural losses, we multiply the result by 1.2 (this factor allows for natural system losses, assuming 85% efficiency). Therefore, we will assume the panels will actually need to be able to supply a total of
840 x 1.2 = 1008Wh

4. so, to supply 1008Wh of energy the panel we assume to receive 7 hours of sunlight will be rated at 1008 Wh / 7 h = 144W
So, I will need 144W solar panel to supply energy to my appliances above at the given time.

Regarding point 3, it also means, if I have a solar panel rated at 100W receiving sunlight for 7 hours a day, the total energy supplied considering 85% efficiency will be 100x7x0.85= 595Wh and not 700Wh

5. Your battery should be able to store 1008Wh of energy. Since batteries capacities are rated in Ah (Ampere Hours) you need to multiply Ah by the Volt rating to know the Watt Hour. Power(W) = Voltage (V) x Current (I) ; Watt hour = VxIxHour

Therefore Ah (which is I x h) = Wh / V = 1008 / 12 (the number 12 represents a 12v battery)
= 84 Ah

So it means you will need not less than a 84Ah, 12V battery (deep-cycle batteries, not ordinary car batteries) to do the job.

NB. Another way of calculating battery capacity is explained in this example. Should my battery be rated at 84Ah, 12V the watt hour (energy) will be 84Ah x 12 V = 1008Ah

It implies that the battery can supply a 150watt appliance for 1008/70 = 14hours

Pls don’t just play around with batteries they are dangerous.

from the above calculation, i will like to know if i can use it during the day time and now use battery for that hour at night when there is no sunlight that now use the power stored in the battery or only that hours for the whole day
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 9:49pm On Jul 22, 2014
olak2k8:

from the above calculation, i will like to know if i can use it during the day time and now use battery for that hour at night when there is no sunlight that now use the power stored in the battery or only that hours for the whole day
I don't really understand your question. During the day, your solar panels will charge your batteries and keep them charged. The solar panels do not convert the sunlight directly to AC so it goes into the batteries. When there is sunlight, the batteries will be discharging but charging at the same time. By the time sunlight stops, your batteries will be in discharge only.

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (1701) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Dam5reey(m), Decentlyproud(m), Sapiosexuality(m), Ferdiwar, Trippledots(m), bbally and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.