Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (688) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2045519 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (685) (686) (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) ... (1680) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ewizard1: 10:21am On Mar 07, 2020
BetaTechnicians:

Was asking if you made it together?
I made mine already. I have built separate 4.6kwh and 3kwh systems.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generalstingz(m): 1:14pm On Mar 07, 2020
BackToLife:

What's your number?

Check my signature
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Malevonent: 2:56pm On Mar 07, 2020
who knows a decent wall fan with remote below 10k, need it for my kitchen or is there a another alternative to pushing out fumes and providing ventilation in the kitchen
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Malevonent: 3:01pm On Mar 07, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Those cells needing topup are very likely the ones with highest charge and the best state of health. Them drying up faster than others indicates they are being overcharged.

Do you equalize the batteries? How often? You should get a good hydrometer and use it to help you find out what is happening with/to each cell.

yes, i equalize, about once a month, i checked the cells randomly, they are varying btw green and white, ie ok and fair
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 3:11pm On Mar 07, 2020
Malevonent:
who knows a decent wall fan with remote below 10k, need it for my kitchen or is there a another alternative to pushing out fumes and providing ventilation in the kitchen

Interested in this as well, though found a qasa wall fan that claims to be energy saving.... ordered waiting delivery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by gtech2sure: 3:23pm On Mar 07, 2020
stokfrick:
Experts ln the house
I want to set up a solar power system, please
I need to get the best brand(s) of the following
The total load iS 700watt
It will run for 8 hours daily

1. Lithium ion battery 200maH
2. Pure sine wave inverter(pls what power rating would fit?)
3. Mppt Charge controller
4. Solar pannel, 300w

Let me quickly brief you on this. I am not an installer though but a fresh graduate who understand basic Electronics, Electrical and Computer Engineering all together. I had solved solar system problems for few installers who got lost for proper choice of components used and calculations. This calculations pretty work well

I am going to show you simple calculation to know like how many solar panel you need, watt of inverter to use, battery, charge controller and time to get a full charge using calculation.

Mind you, the calculation aren't hard. We only need addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

Now let's begin
Before i proceed, there are some calculations i will not include in order not to make everything complicate, the calculations are based on energy loss in solar inverter system. With the one i will drop here, you can become an installer overnight with the help of youtube for practical aspect.

This system will be designed in 24v

LOAD: 700 watt

INVETER:
Inverter should be greater 25% than the total Load

Therefore load = 700 watt

700 x (25/100) = 175
700 + 175 = 875 Watt
This is the rating of needed inverter. But go for 24V, 1000 watt inverter or higher

BATTERY:
To know the total battery that could power load of 700 watt for 8 hours, just mutiply total load with time.
ie 700w x 8 = 5600w
This shows you need battery that could generate 5600 watt of power for 8 hours.

Use this formula to convert AH of the battery to watts.

W = V x AH. where w= watts, v= battery voltage and AH = battery amps.

Therefore: 12v x 200ah = 2400watt

Mind you, the system design is 24v
Due to this, you are going to use six 12v, 200ah battery where the three steps battery will be connected in series while loop them together in parallel to give you 24v, 7200 watt.

I know you might be wondering that the watt of battery we got here is more than what we need, just don't worry it's an added advantage. Our 7200watt battery here could power load of 700w for 10 hours.

It's done in this way:
battery watt/load: 7200/700 = 10.2 hours

SOLAR PANEL
To get solar power rating to use and time to get your battery charged depends on choice but i recommend 6 hours charging time because of cost.

It goes this way
Time to charge: battery watt/time (hour)
= 7200/6 = 1200watt
Your battery will get full in 6 hours with solar panel of 1200wat.

Note: You must not put ON any load on the system for you to get full charged within the period of 6 hours. But if you can't abide with this, you have to budget extra 700 watts solar panel to your cost

VOLTAGE CONTROLLER OR REGULATOR:
Power rating of solar used to determines the power of regulator to use.

Note: That Regulator rating are usually in Amps which you would need to convert to watt.

The regulator can be gotten using this formula
A = Solar rating (watt) / Battery voltage
= 1200 watts / 24
= 50 Amp

Therefore, you need 50A, 24V charge controller.

In summary this is all you need
24,V 1000watt inverter
Six 12V, 200AH battery
1200watt solar panel
24V, 50amp charge controller.

Goodluck..

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by khattab008: 4:01pm On Mar 07, 2020
gtech2sure:

24,V 1000watt inverter
Six 12V, 200AH battery
1200watt solar panel

Goodluck..

Thanks for this breakdown, I'll like to know the same calculations apply to a setup that doesn't include solar, specifically the part about charge controllers.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 4:55pm On Mar 07, 2020
Few corrections
1) it's rare to get 7200WHr from a 1200W solar psnel in a day even with premium brands of panel and cc. Use 2-4 times of capacity.
2) 70% load on an inverter in inverter mode though adequate is not sustainable in the long run except for premium brands. The inverter may not last long
3) starting point for solar calculation is not load in W but in Whr. You have to consider each load and how long it is on.

gtech2sure:

Let me quickly brief you on this. I am not an installer though but a fresh graduate who understand basic Electronics, Electrical and Computer Engineering all together. I had solved solar system problems for few installers who got lost for proper choice of components used and calculations. This calculations pretty work well

I am going to show you simple calculation to know like how many solar panel you need, watt of inverter to use, battery, charge controller and time to get a full charge using calculation.

Mind you, the calculation aren't hard. We only need addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

Now let's begin
Before i proceed, there are some calculations i will not include in order not to make everything complicate, the calculations are based on energy loss in solar inverter system. With the one i will drop here, you can become an installer overnight with the help of youtube for practical aspect.

INVETER:

700 x (25/100) = 175
700 + 175 = 875 Watt
This is the rating of needed inverter. But go for 24V, 1000 watt inverter or higher

BATTERY:
To know the total battery that could power load of 700 watt for 8 hours, just mutiply total load with time.
ie 700w x 8 = 5600w

Due to this, you are going to use six 12v, 200ah battery where the three steps battery will be connected in series while loop them together in parallel to give you 24v, 7200 watt.

I know you might be wondering that the watt of battery we got here is more than what we need, just don't worry it's an added advantage. Our 7200watt battery here could power load of 700w for 10 hours.

It's done in this way:

SOLAR PANEL
To get solar power rating to use and time to get your battery charged depends on choice but i recommend 6 hours charging time because of cost.

It goes this way
= 7200/6 = 1200watt

Note: You must not put ON any load on the system for you to get full charged within the period of 6 hours. But if you can't abide with this, you have to budget extra 700 watts solar panel to your cost

Note: That Regulator rating are usually in Amps which you would need to convert to watt.

= 1200 watts / 24
= 50 Amp

24,V 1000watt inverter
Six 12V, 200AH battery
1200watt solar panel

Goodluck..

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Malevonent: 4:59pm On Mar 07, 2020
ojeysky:

Interested in this as well, though found a qasa wall fan that claims to be energy saving.... ordered waiting delivery.

does the qasa have remote control?, am not too keen on it being energy saving, anything below 60w is ok for me.
its the remote control fxn that is my priority, since the fan will be hung high up in the kitchen ceiling

@gtech2sure, good attempt at the calculation, however several errors exist.

1. even though batt has 2400w, you can only safely take out 50 to 70% of it, best to use 505
2. your solar calculation is off, but since the OP says, no solar, lemme keep quiet
3. its best to size your inverter to be 2x or 3x the anticipated load, as inverter efficiency reduces if loaded near capacity. i would recommend, a 2.4kva minimum inverter
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 6:07pm On Mar 07, 2020
gtech2sure:

Now let's begin

INVETER:

700 x (25/100) = 175
700 + 175 = 875 Watt

BATTERY:
ie 700w x 8 = 5600w

It's done in this way:

SOLAR PANEL

It goes this way
= 7200/6 = 1200watt

= 1200 watts / 24
= 50 Amp

24,V 1000watt inverter
Six 12V, 200AH battery
1200watt solar panel

Goodluck..

Thank you for the breakdown sir, but 6 200 ah battery?

That’s quite too much for the system required( even though nothing is too much when it comes to storing enough power)

When calculating back up time, please you simply

Know the load requirements

Which in this case is 700watts

Power = current x voltage
He needs
700watts = I x 12v battery
I= 58.333 amps

Battery capacity (he suggested is 200ah)

Ah/h ( amp hours divided by amps gives you hrs(or duration in hrs, because amps cancels amps and you are left with hrs)

200ah/58.33a = 3.4hrs

Now if we are to recommend a better back up capacity

700watts = I x 36 or 48v ( 4batteries 12v each)
I for 48 v = 14.6a

Since the 4 batteries are in series the ampere remains same

200ah/14.6a =13.6 hrs or roughly 13hrs 30minutes

For a 36v System the duration is lower than this.

I hope it’s a bit clearer

www.jekitech.com whatsapp 08031138665

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 6:48pm On Mar 07, 2020
Misconceptions everywhere.. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 7:06pm On Mar 07, 2020
Dam5reey:

grin grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 8:09pm On Mar 07, 2020
zeanslim:

Direct DC, there will be more power loss if used via inverter.

Your fan is non rechargeable dc fan. But for my fan, Is the direct DC via the DC port or battery terminals?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 8:14pm On Mar 07, 2020
I can help you get it and waybill it to you, as we have distributor right with Amaron battery in Lagos.

Check signature for contact

mfonox:
Please i need a good 200Ah battery in Ibadan. i used Sukam battery since 2016. 4 years now. but it has gone weak. someone recommended the Amaron quanta battery. is it also good? if yes. i would need one for immediate purchase in Ibadan..... Thank you

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 8:25pm On Mar 07, 2020
Topmost11:

Your fan is non rechargeable dc fan. But for my fan, Is the direct DC via the DC port or battery terminals?

Ensure your solar panel dc voltage is same range with the required input voltage of the fan.

So ensure you connect without mistake ( reverse polarity) that’s when you are connecting to the fan dc port, the fan it’s self as a dc cc to charge the battery, if you connect the panel to the battery directly you will risk over charging the battery.

Ensure the panel is same dc range for the fan.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeanslim(m): 8:38pm On Mar 07, 2020
Topmost11:

I don't really know, the specs of your fan, but based on my Intel, DC Port is direct DC also the battery terminals is direct DC.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by gtech2sure: 9:00pm On Mar 07, 2020
Malevonent:

does the qasa have remote control?, am not too keen on it being energy saving, anything below 60w is ok for me.
its the remote control fxn that is my priority, since the fan will be hung high up in the kitchen ceiling

@gtech2sure, good attempt at the calculation, however several errors exist.

1. even though batt has 2400w, you can only safely take out 50 to 70% of it, best to use 505
2. your solar calculation is off, but since the OP says, no solar, lemme keep quiet
3. its best to size your inverter to be 2x or 3x the anticipated load, as inverter efficiency reduces if loaded near capacity. i would recommend, a 2.4kva minimum inverter
Thank you for your contribution, i am also open to gain new ideas.

1 Please check what i posted. I said i don't want to go into energy loss calculation and that's why I skipped this. Discharge energy loss in lithium ion battery is 25-30% while discharge energy loss in lead acid battery is 50% so i'm still on point.

2 You said my solar calculation was wrong please kindly help me out by showing me the calculation required for solar power to charge 7200w battery.

3 You are right due to the way we do our things in Nigeria but in normal standard Inverter should be greater 25% than the total Load
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by gtech2sure: 9:04pm On Mar 07, 2020
mank1234:
Few corrections
1) it's rare to get 7200WHr from a 1200W solar psnel in a day even with premium brands of panel and cc. Use 2-4 times of capacity.
2) 70% load on an inverter in inverter mode though adequate is not sustainable in the long run except for premium brands. The inverter may not last long
3) starting point for solar calculation is not load in W but in Whr. You have to consider each load and how long it is on.

Nice contribution boss.
1 It's possible to get 7200w from 1200w in Nigeria if your panel are properly positioned and face where it should face. Mind you, with the calculation i showed, i didn't mentioned that he must use 1200w solar panels by force. He can go higher if he could afford the cost while introducing the calculation formula to get accurate hours it could get charged.

2 You are preety right here. I can't even advice anyone to go for such low wattage of inverter but i had to show normal standard calculation for better understanding. Another thing is that inverters itself also consume battery but i don't want to go deep and that was why skipped energy loss for all.

3 I won't argue with you with this, but I want you to realize these:

1 The watt of a single solar panel, measured in watts

2 The energy supplied by solar panel over a period of time installed in a specific place measured in kilowatt-hours kWh.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:33pm On Mar 07, 2020
Malevonent:

The wall doesn't have remote, but if you are keen on remote, you can adapt the qasa standing fan by discarding the stand
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 9:34pm On Mar 07, 2020
OK oga.
Solar calculation has been dealt with extensively on this thread. If one patiently read through each page especially the early pages, one can't go wrong. These are advices from practical system users. You can refer people to those pages rather than give unproven theoretical answers not backed by evidence. It can misled them into making mistakes; which can further discourage others from going solar.

Materials on the web such as:
https://www.solarpowerauthority.com/how-to-size-a-solar-pv-system-for-your-home/
are invaluable.

You don't start planning for solar by just adding all the loads (wattage) in your house.

I did like to see a log or screenshot of your setup that generate 6 times of solar capacity daily in Nigeria.

gtech2sure:

2 The energy supplied by solar panel over a period of time installed in a specific place measured in kilowatt-hours kWh.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 9:48pm On Mar 07, 2020
Dam5reey:

The funny part is someone who's a bit impatience may end up reading this last few pages and thus end up setting himself up for failure. It's even more disheartening when the misconception is from the so call solar experts and installers

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Abigai(f): 10:06pm On Mar 07, 2020
Gud day audience, do anyone have an idea how much this ceiling fan cost (56inch 34w 12v ceiling fan with remote control and led light) thanks...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 10:10pm On Mar 07, 2020
mank1234:

The funny part is someone who's a bit impatience may end up reading this last few pages and thus end up setting himself up for failure. It's even more disheartening when the misconception is from the so call solar experts and installers

The most important thing is, understanding how this things are calculated, With both theoretical and practical proven records.

This should not be of any misconception because, seeing a misleading information to an “innocent” Person asking a simple question, it won’t be okay anyone let it slide, and at the end of it the clients over spends and left unsatisfied.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 10:22pm On Mar 07, 2020
Abigai:
Gud day audience, do anyone have an idea how much this ceiling fan cost (56inch 34w 12v ceiling fan with remote control and led light) thanks...

Cc juo
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 10:44pm On Mar 07, 2020
ewizard1:

I made mine already. I have built separate 4.6kwh and 3kwh systems.

Oh... nice. How are they faring?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 10:46pm On Mar 07, 2020
Malevonent:

I've seen a dc 12v wall fan advertised for that price range, not sure there's a remote.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 10:49pm On Mar 07, 2020
Abigai:
15k - 16k
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 11:32pm On Mar 07, 2020
gtech2sure:

Thank you for your contribution, i am also open to gain new ideas.

1 Please check what i posted. I said i don't want to go into energy loss calculation and that's why I skipped this. Discharge energy loss in lithium ion battery is 25-30% while discharge energy loss in lead acid battery is 50% so i'm still on point.

Losses are a moment-to-moment phenomenon you cannot escape. And things like DC transmission and PV conversion losses are independent of the chosen battery chemistry. Same goes for inverter inefficiencies. They must always be factored in. Failing in that regard forms the basis of many a failed installation and numerous DIY disappointments.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 1:45am On Mar 08, 2020
Saipro:

Losses are a moment-to-moment phenomenon you cannot escape. And things like DC transmission and PV conversion losses are independent of the chosen battery chemistry. Same goes for inverter inefficiencies. They must always be factored in. Failing in that regard forms the basis of many a failed installation and numerous DIY disappointments.

But we need to understand d basic first, so he was right to cut off some part dat may confuse neewbies head like myself

People that are already into it may not get confused wen d pro are discussing but truth be told i had to go to youtube many times to get tutorials

Lots of contend on this forum but u guys is not making it easy for newbies, b4 we read half way our head is already confused

As a Newbie gtech2sure calculation pure so much light to my head, his calculation is just basic for beginners to have an understanding how some of this calculations are done b4 we can start going dip

Is just for beginners to have basic knowledge, it doesn't mean thats where it all ends

So thanks again gtech2sure ur post was helpful will bookmark it

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 1:53am On Mar 08, 2020
gtech2sure:

Now let's begin

INVETER:

700 x (25/100) = 175
700 + 175 = 875 Watt

BATTERY:
ie 700w x 8 = 5600w

It's done in this way:

SOLAR PANEL

It goes this way
= 7200/6 = 1200watt

= 1200 watts / 24
= 50 Amp

24,V 1000watt inverter
Six 12V, 200AH battery
1200watt solar panel

Goodluck..

unicmarket:

Thank you for the breakdown sir, but 6 200 ah battery?

That’s quite too much for the system required( even though nothing is too much when it comes to storing enough power)

When calculating back up time, please you simply

Know the load requirements

Which in this case is 700watts

Power = current x voltage
He needs
700watts = I x 12v battery
I= 58.333 amps

Battery capacity (he suggested is 200ah)

Ah/h ( amp hours divided by amps gives you hrs(or duration in hrs, because amps cancels amps and you are left with hrs)

200ah/58.33a = 3.4hrs

Now if we are to recommend a better back up capacity

700watts = I x 36 or 48v ( 4batteries 12v each)
I for 48 v = 14.6a

Since the 4 batteries are in series the ampere remains same

200ah/14.6a =13.6 hrs or roughly 13hrs 30minutes

For a 36v System the duration is lower than this.

I hope it’s a bit clearer

www.jekitech.com whatsapp 08031138665

For a Beginner this 2 Post are golden, I'm going to bookmark them thanks so much unicmarket and gtech2sure
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:07am On Mar 08, 2020
gtech2sure:

Nice contribution boss.
1 It's possible to get 7200w from 1200w in Nigeria if your panel are properly positioned and face where it should face. Mind you, with the calculation i showed, i didn't mentioned that he must use 1200w solar panels by force. He can go higher if he could afford the cost while introducing the calculation formula to get accurate hours it could get charged.

2 You are preety right here. I can't even advice anyone to go for such low wattage of inverter but i had to show normal standard calculation for better understanding. Another thing is that inverters itself also consume battery but i don't want to go deep and that was why skipped energy loss for all.

cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:07am On Mar 08, 2020
Dam5reey:

grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (685) (686) (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) ... (1680) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.