Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (689) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2074841 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (686) (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) (692) ... (1699) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AshipaEk0: 8:15am On Mar 08, 2020
Lol.

The exuberance of inexperienced book knowledge.

How quaint

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by juliustip(m): 8:53am On Mar 08, 2020
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 9:53am On Mar 08, 2020
gtech2sure:

Let me quickly brief you on this. I am not an installer though but a fresh graduate who understand basic Electronics, Electrical and Computer Engineering all together. I had solved solar system problems for few installers who got lost for proper choice of components used and calculations. This calculations pretty work well

I am going to show you simple calculation to know like how many solar panel you need, watt of inverter to use, battery, charge controller and time to get a full charge using calculation.

Mind you, the calculation aren't hard. We only need addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

Now let's begin
Before i proceed, there are some calculations i will not include in order not to make everything complicate, the calculations are based on energy loss in solar inverter system. With the one i will drop here, you can become an installer overnight with the help of youtube for practical aspect.

This system will be designed in 24v

LOAD: 700 watt

INVETER:
Inverter should be greater 25% than the total Load

Therefore load = 700 watt

700 x (25/100) = 175
700 + 175 = 875 Watt
This is the rating of needed inverter. But go for 24V, 1000 watt inverter or higher

BATTERY:
To know the total battery that could power load of 700 watt for 8 hours, just mutiply total load with time.
ie 700w x 8 = 5600w
This shows you need battery that could generate 5600 watt of power for 8 hours.

Use this formula to convert AH of the battery to watts.

W = V x AH. where w= watts, v= battery voltage and AH = battery amps.

Therefore: 12v x 200ah = 2400watt

Mind you, the system design is 24v
Due to this, you are going to use six 12v, 200ah battery where the three steps battery will be connected in series while loop them together in parallel to give you 24v, 7200 watt.

I know you might be wondering that the watt of battery we got here is more than what we need, just don't worry it's an added advantage. Our 7200watt battery here could power load of 700w for 10 hours.

It's done in this way:
battery watt/load: 7200/700 = 10.2 hours

SOLAR PANEL
To get solar power rating to use and time to get your battery charged depends on choice but i recommend 6 hours charging time because of cost.

It goes this way
Time to charge: battery watt/time (hour)
= 7200/6 = 1200watt
Your battery will get full in 6 hours with solar panel of 1200wat.

Note: You must not put ON any load on the system for you to get full charged within the period of 6 hours. But if you can't abide with this, you have to budget extra 700 watts solar panel to your cost

VOLTAGE CONTROLLER OR REGULATOR:
Power rating of solar used to determines the power of regulator to use.

Note: That Regulator rating are usually in Amps which you would need to convert to watt.

The regulator can be gotten using this formula
A = Solar rating (watt) / Battery voltage
= 1200 watts / 24
= 50 Amp

Therefore, you need 50A, 24V charge controller.

In summary this is all you need
24,V 1000watt inverter
Six 12V, 200AH battery
1200watt solar panel
24V, 50amp charge controller.

Goodluck..

There are some basic assumptions here that will cause serious problem.
1. I didn't see depth of discharge (DoD) here. For lead-acid battery, you don't have all the capacity available, may be about 50% at best. Some may say 80%, but depending on your load and your cut-out voltage, your inverter will cut off well before you can get to 80% of DoD. So, in calculating your AH need, you must double the result from your calculation. If you need 200AH, get 400AH.
2. I also didn't see "efficiency factors" here. In moving from DC to AC in an inverter, some power will be lost. It is usual to give about 10% of your power to this loss. Also, solar panels also have efficiency factor. This must also be taken into consideration. A 1KW array will not give you 1KW in an hour, it will be less. In addition, the sun is not likely to be full blast for full 5 hours in a day. So, some power will also be lost during cloud passes. Finally, batteries don't convert all available energy to storage during charging. Some of the energy are lost as heat. So, in making this kind of calculations, there is a need to make allowances for these imperfections in electronics.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:58am On Mar 08, 2020
The cells in one 12v battery should not be varying much between OK and FAIR per their SG readings.

They should all read very similar within a narrow SG band.

Might be time to get a temp compensated hydrometer with numeric readings.

Did the electrolyte in the batteries come from thesame source and thesame batch? Did you at any time have a spill or water loss wnd then topped off with additional electrolyte?

What is your equalize voltage per 12v? You should be at or above 15v for any meaningful equalization. It might also be time to break the bank and charge and equalize per 12v standalone.

Malevonent:

yes, i equalize, about once a month, i checked the cells randomly, they are varying btw green and white, ie ok and fair

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ewizard1: 12:24pm On Mar 08, 2020
BetaTechnicians:
Oh... nice. How are they faring?
They're doing great. grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 5:37pm On Mar 08, 2020
juliustip:
I have 130w x4 12v Solar Panel with Mercury 200A 12v battery.
I need a charge controller with bluetooth data recommendation and perhaps a 2 - 3KVA inverter recommendation too.

If you have, kindly quote me with name and price
Hi, you can contact us

Whatsapp 08031138665
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Gozik1: 6:39pm On Mar 08, 2020
Thanks to you guys I've learnt alot
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by quest4s: 8:21pm On Mar 08, 2020
service assistance light showing on luminous inverter. What does it mean?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NoMoreTrolling: 8:39pm On Mar 08, 2020
adrusa:

There are some basic assumptions here that will cause serious problem.
1. I didn't see depth of discharge (DoD) here. For lead-acid battery, you don't have all the capacity available, may be about 50% at best. Some may say 80%, but depending on your load and your cut-out voltage, your inverter will cut off well before you can get to 80% of DoD. So, in calculating your AH need, you must double the result from your calculation. If you need 200AH, get 400AH.
2. I also didn't see "efficiency factors" here. In moving from DC to AC in an inverter, some power will be lost. It is usual to give about 10% of your power to this loss. Also, solar panels also have efficiency factor. This must also be taken into consideration. A 1KW array will not give you 1KW in an hour, it will be less. In addition, the sun is not likely to be full blast for full 5 hours in a day. So, some power will also be lost during cloud passes. Finally, batteries don't convert all available energy to storage during charging. Some of the energy are lost as heat. So, in making this kind of calculations, there is a need to make allowances for these imperfections in electronics.

He doesn't need to double the ah calculation because the OP said he is using Lithium batteries not Lead Acid.

Lithium batteries are a whole different ball game.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:41am On Mar 09, 2020
ojeysky:

Interested in this as well, though found a qasa wall fan that claims to be energy saving.... ordered waiting delivery.

Link for the QASA wall fan, please
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wilfrik200(m): 6:36am On Mar 09, 2020
JUO:
is called smart boost on my inverter
Schneider 4kw does this impressively. I am currently using the unit and it is sweet to see it save much money for me during the day.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:46am On Mar 09, 2020
quest4s:

What's the capacity, model and DC voltage of the luminous inverter in question or is the problem solved?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:49am On Mar 09, 2020
If you are still undecided here is a piece of advice, going lithium from lead acid battery is like upgrading from a horse ride to an electric vehicle. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 8:23am On Mar 09, 2020
NoMoreTrolling:

He doesn't need to double the ah calculation because the OP said he is using Lithium batteries not Lead Acid.

Lithium batteries are a whole different ball game.

That's right to some degree, but even then he still need to add a little more unless he plans 100% DoD which is not recommended even for Lithium.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 8:29am On Mar 09, 2020
40a Suoer 12V smart charger for sale.

Reason for sale: Bulk charging and float voltage higher than my battery spec.
I bought it for 18k on Jumia and it goes for as high as 23k on Jiji but if anyone will find it useful I'm willing to sell it for 12k.

If interested, send a WhatsApp message.

Modified: No longer available.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:50am On Mar 09, 2020
mctfopt:
If you are still undecided here is a piece of advice, going lithium from lead acid battery is like upgrading from a horse ride to an electric vehicle. grin

It's like you just experienced some new stuff about lithium.....my battery was charging at 48A yesterday with a smile. Lifepo4 is cool, even if what I get from it is 5 years considering the performance I am getting I will still be fulfilled.
Planning a DYI Lifepo4 soon to increase my battery bank capacity.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:54am On Mar 09, 2020
adrusa:

That's right to some degree, but even then he still need to add a little more unless he plans 100% DoD which is not recommended even for Lithium.

The way I compare it. 100% DOD lithium is 50% lead acid and 80% dod lithium is 30% lead acid
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:03am On Mar 09, 2020
ojeysky:

It's like you just experienced some new stuff about lithium.....was charging my battery was charging as 48A yesterday with a smile. Lifepo4 is cool, even if what I get from it is 5 years considering the performance I am getting I will still be fulfilled.

That is one of the advantages, the ability to charge at supersonic speed and high current without fear of damage to the batteries. Lithium is just the future.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 9:14am On Mar 09, 2020
mctfopt:

That is one of the advantages, the ability to charge at supersonic speed and high current without fear of damage to the batteries. Lithium is just the future.

So, when are we going to see serious local dealers? Buying from China is a logistic nightmare.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:22am On Mar 09, 2020
We full ground o!

PylonTech and BYD only for now though.

As other brands pass our field tests, we will add them on.

The idea is for the customer to enjoy his investment with peace of mind.

adrusa:

So, when are we going to see serious local dealers? Buying from China is a logistic nightmare.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 9:39am On Mar 09, 2020
ojeysky:

It's like you just experienced some new stuff about lithium.....was charging my battery was charging as 48A yesterday with a smile. Lifepo4 is cool, even if what I get from it is 5 years considering the performance I am getting I will still be fulfilled.

Do you have any reputable seller you can recommend in China? Maybe I should test a small unit before thinking of an overhaul.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 9:40am On Mar 09, 2020
Does anyone know of a budget 24v hybrid inverter with mppt ?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:29am On Mar 09, 2020
adrusa:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11175069_screenshot202003091023552_jpeg8c40e91aef301905344e00ea1aeccc68

This guy is good too, I know someone who bought from him and there's no complaint till date, ojesky can also testify too cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 10:50am On Mar 09, 2020
My brother has seen the LITHIUM light tongue

NiyiOmoIyunade:
We full ground o!

PylonTech and BYD only for now though.

As other brands pass our field tests, we will add them on.

The idea is for the customer to enjoy his investment with peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:23am On Mar 09, 2020
quest4s:

Fault as a result of poor grounding , surge faults ! Inverter will malfunction , not charge etc ... Visit service center for repair .. Cheer's

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:27am On Mar 09, 2020
Happy client ~ Happy us !

Feel free to always reach us,

DONT MISS THIS GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY!!

DISCOUNTED SALES !!!

1) Restar made in vietnam 200a battery ... 100,000

2) Axpert 1.2kva 12v pure sinewave inverter ... 50,000

3) Schneider 1.5kva 24v pure sinewave inverter .. 72,000

4) USA Trojan 225a flooded battery ... 140,000

5) USA Trojan 205a AGM battery ... 177,000

6) USA Trojan 315a 6v AGM Battey ... 155,000

7) Axpert 3kva 24v pure sinewave solar inverter with 80a combined total charging current...100,000

cool Schneider sw 4048 inverter ...450,000

9) Schneider sw 8548 inverter ...1m

10) Morningstar 45a mppt ...... 160,000

11) Pro solar roof mount and accessories which can take up to 4 units of 370w panels ..... N35,000

12) Improvised solar mount kit .... N15,000

13) Monbat 12v 200a fta battery ....140,000 "offloading soon"

14) Quanta 12v 200a ... 120,000 (brown carton non export high quality with 64kg weight)

15) Morningstar 60a mppt .... 210,000

16) Flames 270w mono panel .. 32,000

DON'T MISS THIS GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY!

NOTE: We also supply products >> outback,victron, Canadian solar , Felicity,flames,foresolar, luminous,magnum,era,ja solar,amerisolar,jinko,solarworld,SMA,keye,solar water heaters etc... feel free to contact us as usual !

Contact,
Smartcell global services
081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:48am On Mar 09, 2020
BetaTechnicians:

Do you have any reputable seller you can recommend in China? Maybe I should test a small unit before thinking of an overhaul.

Read good reviews about this one: NGN 620,152.16 | 2019 NEW 16PCS 3.2V 150Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Cell lifepo4 battery solar 24V300AH 48V150Ah cells not 120Ah EU US TAX FREE
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dWKeGAJ

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:50am On Mar 09, 2020
adrusa:

If you want to buy a packaged Lifepo4 I do have a local dealer that I procured mine from. I think he sells single cells as well....i shared his contact on this thread
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:53am On Mar 09, 2020
mctfopt:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11175069_screenshot202003091023552_jpeg8c40e91aef301905344e00ea1aeccc68

This guy is good too, I know someone who bought from him and there's no complaint till date, ojesky can also testify too cool

The image did not display but I guess you are referring to the same guy? Yes indeed. My personal quest for DIY is because I want a BMS that can provide me status of each cells. I have also recommended it to him, hopefully he will add it in future.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:00pm On Mar 09, 2020
ceaser:

Link for the QASA wall fan, please

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 1:05pm On Mar 09, 2020
ojeysky:

Read good reviews about this one: NGN 620,152.16 | 2019 NEW 16PCS 3.2V 150Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Cell lifepo4 battery solar 24V300AH 48V150Ah cells not 120Ah EU US TAX FREE
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dWKeGAJ

Looks good for when I become OPEC chairman grin

How about the local guy? I want something in smaller units, like 12V to play with if he can make such or 24V

(1) (2) (3) ... (686) (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) (692) ... (1699) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: obitobe and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.