Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,162 members, 7,835,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (733) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2101085 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) (735) (736) ... (1716) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 3:12pm On May 04, 2020
unicmarket:

Finally, every battery as a discharge rate that should come with it; such as 200A at 10hr or 20hr, meaning this battery is safe in discharging max 20A in the space of 1 hr for the 10h rating, so certainly the guidelines of battery discharge rate should be followed as specified for that battery.

For technical and educational purposes, it’s accurate and valid. The calculator is to ease calculation and not too exclude professional advice
Thanks bro

Exactly what folks usually don't consider regards to battery... The DISCHARGE RATE!!! very key

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 3:20pm On May 04, 2020
terrymason:
Have seen in various videos and setup where breakers/Fuse are put between panels and charger controller (Which is highly compulsory), but breakers in between batteries and charger controller are scary to me. Let say theirs a surge and the breaker between your battery and Cc tripped off and the one between the panel and CC is still on, what do you think will be the outcome of the CC in use.. ?

What's your input DIY Guru's, newbie and the house....

You can turn off some SCC from battery at blazing sun with no issues. Though the same can't be said of some system. I'll say if your SCC doesn't have that feature, jejely don't try to add a breaker between battery and SCC.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:18pm On May 04, 2020
150w MS solar panel available, #20000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:25pm On May 04, 2020
200ah Absolyte Battery available, #85000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

We deliver nationwide!

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:28pm On May 04, 2020
200ah capital battery available, #85000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Manuel Solar Energy Enterprises

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:31pm On May 04, 2020
275w lionstar solar panel available, #30000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:36pm On May 04, 2020
200ah Quanta battery available with 2yrs warranty available, #150000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 3:59am On May 05, 2020
ojeysky:

Just curious, have you tried to charge at 3.45 per cell instead of over 3.5v per cell? And did you notice more than 5-10% difference in capacity? Because I don't think charging LFP at high voltage is a good thing for the battery's health

No, I've not tried charging each cell differently. But the two LFP AC chargers I was supplied by the battery vendor all charge at CC-CV 14.5 volts. Even LFP chargers sold online at AE all put their 12v chargers at 14.4v charging voltage. Besides, I noticed that my battery manufacturer scribbled voltage range on each cell (2.75v to 3.7v) on some and more or less on others. I guess this was done during the selection process to avoid cell mis-match which may affect performance. I'll see if I can snap a good picture to put on here.

That being said, when I was learning to get the sweet spot to charge with the CC, the BMS trips of at 14.5v. So I adjusted the charging voltage to 14.2v max. I notice that on CCs that has lithium settings, the moment you select it, the charging voltage resets from the usual 3-stage gradation to a recommended 14.4v. There is also a special lithium PWM CC that I've had for about 4 years now. It has various settings for different lithium chemistries and configurations. On it, 14.4v is the spot for 3.6v cell. I'll snap that page on the manual and upload here.

Your suggested 3.45v per cell puts the charge voltage for four cells at 13.8v which is still within the charge voltages I mentioned earlier as sufficiently giving good backup (reference to my earlier post). I think I will do some controlled trials to determine if 13.8v gives as much sweet spot as the 14.2v I presently use.

Whenever the sun is favourable and the voltage indicator on the battery gets to 14.2v for at least 3 hrs before sundown, the battery works uncharged for the next 22 hrs at a LV disconnect (user customized) of 12.2v. But this rainy period that occasionally pits the highest attainable top up at 13.5v, if the sun does not come up by 8am the following day, the 12.2v low voltage cut off point is sure to be reached by around 10am. The battery (12v/200ah) solely powers a 120 watts deep freezer, so it works the inverter 24/7.

It's intended to secure more panels within the CC's allowable limit to mitigate the effect of poor insolation during this rainy period after lockdown is fully over.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tchijioke: 12:07pm On May 05, 2020
terrymason:
Have seen in various videos and setup where breakers/Fuse are put between panels and charger controller (Which is highly compulsory), but breakers in between batteries and charger controller are scary to me. Let say theirs a surge and the breaker between your battery and Cc tripped off and the one between the panel and CC is still on, what do you think will be the outcome of the CC in use.. ?

Use a dual pole circuit breaker...connect it such that the pv+ve cable goes through one pole to the cc...while the cc to battery +ve cable goes through the other pole to the battery. So when it trips, both poles trips with your charge controller properly shutting down.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:54pm On May 05, 2020
tchijioke:

Use a dual pole circuit breaker...connect it such that the pv+ve cable goes through one pole to the cc...while the cc to battery +ve cable goes through the other pole to the battery. So when it trips, both poles trips with your charge controller properly shutting down.

This should work but current/voltage from panel to cc and cc to battery are not similar hence getting a suitably rated breaker may be a problem there.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 1:28pm On May 05, 2020
ceaser:

No, I've not tried charging each cell differently. But the two LFP AC chargers I was supplied by the battery vendor all charge at CC-CV 14.5 volts. Even LFP chargers sold online at AE all put their 12v chargers at 14.4v charging voltage. Besides, I noticed that my battery manufacturer scribbled voltage range on each cell (2.75v to 3.7v) on some and more or less on others. I guess this was done during the selection process to avoid cell mis-match which may affect performance. I'll see if I can snap a good picture to put on here.

That being said, when I was learning to get the sweet spot to charge with the CC, the BMS trips of at 14.5v. So I adjusted the charging voltage to 14.2v max. I notice that on CCs that has lithium settings, the moment you select it, the charging voltage resets from the usual 3-stage gradation to a recommended 14.4v. There is also a special lithium PWM CC that I've had for about 4 years now. It has various settings for different lithium chemistries and configurations. On it, 14.4v is the spot for 3.6v cell. I'll snap that page on the manual and upload here.

Your suggested 3.45v per cell puts the charge voltage for four cells at 13.8v which is still within the charge voltages I mentioned earlier as sufficiently giving good backup (reference to my earlier post). I think I will do some controlled trials to determine if 13.8v gives as much sweet spot as the 14.2v I presently use.

Whenever the sun is favourable and the voltage indicator on the battery gets to 14.2v for at least 3 hrs before sundown, the battery works uncharged for the next 22 hrs at a LV disconnect (user customized) of 12.2v. But this rainy period that occasionally pits the highest attainable top up at 13.5v, if the sun does not come up by 8am the following day, the 12.2v low voltage cut off point is sure to be reached by around 10am. The battery (12v/200ah) solely powers a 120 watts deep freezer, so it works the inverter 24/7.

It's intended to secure more panels within the CC's allowable limit to mitigate the effect of poor insolation during this rainy period after lockdown is fully over.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by terrymason(m): 5:30pm On May 05, 2020
tchijioke:

That's great!
But the double pole breaker will have same amps but the pv and batteries are of different amps (Wire rating), don't you think rhe purpose of the breaker has be defeated?

Note: Breakers are for cable protection (Panel and battery cables most times are not the same)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:24pm On May 05, 2020
terrymason:
That's great!
But the double pole breaker will have same amps but the pv and batteries are of different amps (Wire rating), don't you think rhe purpose of the breaker has be defeated?

Note: Breakers are for cable protection (Panel and battery cables most times are not the same)

Breakers are mainly for equipment protection(it's possible for the wire to still be okay while the equipment is toast), what has been stated could work if the ratings of your cc to battery and panel to cc are similar. For instance my GK is 450v/18A max for PV to CC side but Inverter to battery side would be max 31v/60A (the current limit is due to BMS installed in my battery).

I personally don't have a breaker between inverter and battery but it will be good to add it, just that am not sure a single breaker will sufficiently serve both ends, you may have to get 2 breakers.

However the gurus may know better
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:43pm On May 05, 2020
ceaser:

I think I will do some controlled trials to determine if 13.8v gives as much sweet spot as the 14.2v I presently use.

Okay cool, from the picture you attached, I see you have 12 cells, it means they are each rated 70Ah(or more,) so your capacity is probably 210Ah(or more) nice for low cut off
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 9:10pm On May 05, 2020
idris4r83:
kainji dam

Lol. Main thing be say e dey work
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tchijioke: 11:24pm On May 05, 2020
ojeysky:

This should work but current/voltage from panel to cc and cc to battery are not similar hence getting a suitably rated breaker may be a problem there.
Just get the appropriate circuit breakers for the PV side as well as the battery side...then hook them up together to create the dual pole breaker as in the pix attached.

These are two separate breakers hooked up as one.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ewizard1: 11:38pm On May 05, 2020
tchijioke:

Just get the appropriate circuit breakers for the PV side as well as the battery side...then hook them up together to create the dual pole breaker as in the pix attached.

shocked

2 separate breaker as one? How? You mean 2 different breaker with different Amp rating as one with a single handle?

How can one achieve this?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:47pm On May 05, 2020
tchijioke:

I guess we are on the same page then, ultimately 2 breakers needs to be procured. Though I don't think it's necessary to connect them on a single pole, just put them separately and let them do their job. Will like to know the advantage in putting them together
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Deluxe8000(m): 3:52am On May 06, 2020
Ups converted inverter for sale at cheap price.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zenith4biz(m): 8:56am On May 06, 2020
Deluxe8000:
Ups converted inverter for sale at cheap price.

How much?

How many volts?

Capacity?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 10:29am On May 06, 2020
ojeysky:

It is simple, the breaker should be sized for just the battery - CC connection since that's the part we're worried about, once that trips then it switches of the +ve PV input too, and note that the +ve PV input would still go into another breaker with it's -ve input before getting into the CC. Can you visualize this?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:45am On May 06, 2020
BetaTechnicians:

It is simple, the breaker should be sized for just the battery - CC connection since that's the part we're worried about, once that trips then it switches of the +ve PV input too, and note that the +ve PV input would still go into another breaker with it's -ve input before getting into the CC. Can you visualize this?

Yes since it still involves 2 suitably sized breakers, it makes sense as I already said in my subsequent post
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tchijioke: 12:21pm On May 06, 2020
ojeysky:

I guess we are on the same page then, ultimately 2 breakers needs to be procured. Though I don't think it's necessary to connect them on a single pole, just put them separately and let them do their job. Will like to know the advantage in putting them together

You are to connect them as individual circuit breakers then link them up with the cap as captured in the pix I posted.
Linking them to function as dual circuit breaker will ensure that both breakers trip off instantly when the need arises. Thereby controlling the battery and PV side simultaneously and by extension keeping the charge controller off harms way.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 12:39pm On May 06, 2020
Any good inverter repairer in the Ogun/Lagos environ?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 12:47pm On May 06, 2020
ojeysky:

Breakers are mainly for equipment protection(it's possible for the wire to still be okay while the equipment is toast), what has been stated could work if the ratings of your cc to battery and panel to cc are similar. For instance my GK is 450v/18A max for PV to CC side but Inverter to battery side would be max 31v/60A (the current limit is due to BMS installed in my battery).

I personally don't have a breaker between inverter and battery but it will be good to add it, just that am not sure a single breaker will sufficiently serve both ends, you may have to get 2 breakers.

However the gurus may know better

I guess I'll agree with Terrymason...

Normally, when you know what current an appliance would draw, you first determine the appropriate cable that would safely carry that current, taking into consideration the ambient temperature. After that, you determine the size of OCPD to protect that cable.
Remember that one breaker can be used to protect multiple appliances (except few loads that must have their own dedicated OCPD).... So, how come? How are you going to rate a breaker to be able to protect more than one appliance, say, TV, fans, lights e.t.c... It is possible because those appliances are served by one branch circuit which has just set of conductor. The job of that breaker is to make sure that the branch circuit conductor, serving those appliances, does not carry a current above its rating to PREVENT FIRE. However, the design would be such that any fault on any of the appliance should be able to trip the breaker.

Bottom line is that, if you really want to follow the NEC standard, your breaker should be designed based on the conductor size. 1) know the current to be drawn (2) know the appropriate size of cable to use (3) size your breaker to protect the conduct from excess current flow

But of course, we don't really follow code here.

NB: you can try and look for the NEC... Go through it and it would explain everything better

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ewizard1: 1:09pm On May 06, 2020
tchijioke:

You are to connect them as individual circuit breakers then link them up with the cap as captured in the pix I posted.
Linking them to function as dual circuit breaker will ensure that both breakers trip off instantly when the need arises. Thereby controlling the battery and PV side simultaneously and by extension keeping the charge controller off harms way.
So you mean the internals of the MCB would consist of individual rating but the cover cap controls both at a time?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 1:23pm On May 06, 2020
terrymason:

There have been some answers and input to this, however, I'll state my personal opinion.

Having a means of protection/isolation is very good for both sides (PV Array to CC and Cc-to-Battery)

There shouldn't actually be anything scary about any of them as long as you properly size them, and use a good quality and appropriate breaker.

Now what I personally do is that I size my PV-to-CC breaker very well to be able to provide both protection and isolation.

For the CC-to-Batt own, I usually intentionally oversize it (which is against the code). For example, if I'm expecting up to 60A current from the CC to battery, I can use a 2-pole 100A DC breaker and split the cable into two at the breaker terminals; so that the total current is split between the two poles of the breaker... That gives me peace of mind. In that case, that breaker is mostly there for isolation purpose, and not necessarily for protection; there's hardly a fault at that downstream side. Problem is usually at the upstream with sun flare, surge and stuffs that could go wrong that side.

Why I don't like doing direct CC-to-Batt connection, without any breaker, is for two reasons
1) not all CCs like momentary sparks; those sparks generated when you're doing the connection and you couldn't put the cable lug once. With those shakes comes sparks that doesn't go well with CCs. With breaker in between, you can slip over as many times you want without any spark. At the end, you confirm your connection and power up

2) there are times that some CCs would decide to misbehave (freeze, hang etc) and the only way to resolve it is to carryout a hard reset, which involves disconnecting the battery from the CC and connecting it back. With a breaker, I normally just switch off the breaker and then switch it back On and issue clears.
Without breaker, it would involve having to be tampering with the battery terminal by connecting and disconnecting upanda. Or if the connection goes through a busbar, you'll have to go through that process and in the process too, creating an unnecessary sparks.

But then, it's strictly by choice... But having a single 2-pole breaker to isolate both sides is even never an option for me... Because if you're using an MPPT, the upstream side would definitely not be appropriately sized.

But again, it's choice.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 1:45pm On May 06, 2020
Please how can i get the watts of this IBM monitor only the Amp was stated

I think the monitor is also AC and not DC

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 5:24pm On May 06, 2020
mctfopt:

You can turn off some SCC from battery at blazing sun with no issues. Though the same can't be said of some system. I'll say if your SCC doesn't have that feature, jejely don't try to add a breaker between battery and SCC.

something like this happened to me recently. The breaker between my cc and battery tripped up - thus saving my house from burning down - It turns out the I undersized the cable from cc to battery. I use 25mm (a distance of about 1 meter) with current up to 90A @24v passing through the wire.. this was then compounded by what I suspect to be partial contact with the DC breaker.. wire got so hot, breaker did it's job and tripped.. All this happened in peak afternoon with a solar panels array sending about 2800w of power to the cc..

This were my respect for Victron went to a whole new level.. My victron charge controller stood there.. without a battery to send all that energy too, it just switched to the higher curve of the MPPT and switched to float..In fact it took a long time to realise what was happening because controller continued working like nothing happened.. I had to turn off the breaker from the pv to cc and then changed removed the bad wire, upgraded it to 35mm and turned the system back on.. Victron charge controller resumed charging.. The trip from the battery gave no problem at all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Teewhy2: 6:03pm On May 06, 2020
House,
Does it have to be a DC breaker that has to be between the PV and CC or can someone use an AC breaker in between.
My CC is rated PV 150 volts and 70 amps, what size of breaker can I introduce between the PV and CC. In case there is lighting during rain will the breaker protect the CC by tripping off.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:30pm On May 06, 2020
bigrovar:

something like this happened to me recently. The breaker between my cc and battery tripped up - thus saving my house from burning down - It turns out the I undersized the cable from cc to battery. I use 25mm (a distance of about 1 meter) with current up to 90A @24v passing through the wire.. this was then compounded by what I suspect to be partial contact with the DC breaker.. wire got so hot, breaker did it's job and tripped.. All this happened in peak afternoon with a solar panels array sending about 2800w of power to the cc..

This were my respect for Victron went to a whole new level.. My victron charge controller stood there.. without a battery to send all that energy too, it just switched to the higher curve of the MPPT and switched to float..In fact it took a long time to realise what was happening because controller continued working like nothing happened.. I had to turn off the breaker from the pv to cc and then changed removed the bad wire, upgraded it to 35mm and turned the system back on.. Victron charge controller resumed charging.. The trip from the battery gave no problem at all.

That is why I love premium product. The Makeskyblue will just go blank in the event that the battery is missing in action, and continue when battery comes back grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:43pm On May 06, 2020
Teewhy2:
House,
Does it have to be a DC breaker that has to be between the PV and CC or can someone use an AC breaker in between.
My CC is rated PV 150 volts and 70 amps, what size of breaker can I introduce between the PV and CC. In case there is lighting during rain will the breaker protect the CC by tripping off.

Breaker won't protect your system in the event of a surge. What can protect the system is a surge arrestor.

One of the major difference between an AC and DC breaker is that DC breakers creates more arc and needs a way to extinguish this to avoid fire in your system. AC breaker, due to behavior of AC, do not have such function.

But can you use an AC breaker in the place of a DC breaker, yes you can. But just know it is recommended due to above. You can read more about the differences here, and for more on the different type of DC breaker you can check this NL link: https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta/438#69609424

The size of breaker is dependent on what is being protected. Check my earlier post on this here: https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta/567#81118537

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) (735) (736) ... (1716) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Namzy(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.