Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,279 members, 7,811,831 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (781) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2048935 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (778) (779) (780) (781) (782) (783) (784) ... (1684) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:31pm On Jun 25, 2020
Folks, I have actually gotten away with 150w x 6 (2s3p) 12v system on a 60A MPPT. That's clearly 180w above the allowable limit of 720w (12v system) for the CC.

Just curious if I may get away with 300w x 6 (3s2p) 24v system on the same type of CC. That'll be 360w above the allowable 1,440w (24v system) for the CC.

Please anyone who has done that without frying the CC. Wanna be sure it's practicable.

I know 2s is good, but I prefer 3s cos the vmax of the CC is 150v. I don't wanna do 250w panels either.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:39pm On Jun 25, 2020
shagking:

5 X 4

The one I'm expecting from AE is 7x5 (20 pcs) for a 24v pack. I hope it still makes it to 9ja. But bro in the event things go south, abeg I go kuku manage the 5x4.

Let me wait some. Just put me for mind, abeg.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 9:45pm On Jun 25, 2020
You know its DIY when na kpako we use hang home made bussbars embarassed embarassed embarassed

See wetin COVID-19 do a brother.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 9:53pm On Jun 25, 2020
ceaser:
Folks, I have actually gotten away with 150w x 6 (2s3p) 12v system on a 60A MPPT. That's clearly 180w above the allowable limit of 720w (12v system) for the CC.

Just curious if I may get away with 300w x 6 (3s2p) 24v system on the same type of CC. That'll be 360w above the allowable 1,440w (24v system) for the CC.

Please anyone who has done that without frying the CC. Wanna be sure it's practicable.

I know 2s is good, but I prefer 3s cos the vmax of the CC is 150v. I don't wanna do 250w panels either.

You can actually do this. The disadvantage is on you as the CC just wastes the excess power. It will not take more than what it will allow. Although baba, you no go even notice any loss joo.

One thing you should never try though is going above the allowed Voc. That is frying pan territory.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:21pm On Jun 25, 2020
ceaser:

My current felicity is 1.5kw but my array is 250w X 9 (3s3p) so you should be fine. Just make sure not to exceed the voltage rating of the CC.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojtech8291: 10:50pm On Jun 25, 2020
mcTrinity:

Hi Ojtech,

First, you missed out quite some details.. You didn't specify if it's hybrid inverter or standalone.
I also want to assume that the battery bank is a combination of 12V 200Ah batteries connected in series.

You also didn't specify if the Inverter was actually outputting the 40A during the observation... Might be possible it's not. And also the quality of the Mains voltage

However, though it's new, how long it would take depends on the state of the battery.
I bought 8 set of Quanta Batteries last 2weeks for an installation. I put all through an independent pre-charge, which I normally do before installation. Each of them took between 8-10hrs to go from boost charge (@250-260W) to Float Charge (@30-35W). And yes, I monitor each using a Socket-plug wattmeter. Few of them were September 2019, while others were October. Been sitting in warehouse for quite a time, and I believe that's why they took that long to go through the charge stages... Otherwise, it usually take 3-5hrs

So, there are factors that could make it take that long. You could provide any other detail that might help

Lastly, I want to believe that those batteries are AGM or they are actually designed to handle such amount of charging current. 40A on a 200Ah Battery bank is quite big... That is if it's charging through Mains supply irrespective of whether there are powered loads or not

Cheers
It is an Inverter with the charger not hybrid because it doesn't have inbuilt CC.

The battery is actually 2 pieces of 12v200AH in series.

My meter can't measure amp up to 40A.
The voltage is not stable but it around 220V-230V

The batteries were in the warehouse for long but I did charge them individually panels 3 pieces of solar panels in parallel with 12v/24V 60A Cc VMAX of 70V

The batteries are gel. Are you saying I should reduce the charging current to 50% or 80% for initial charging? Because there is nob to adjust the charging current.

What I did today after the troubleshooting when I used another inverter with computer display to check the frequency, input and output voltage. I discovered that the voltage didn't go beyond 24V for the bank. After disconnecting everything it became 11.9 volts for each battery. I changed the battery and the system is charging normally now.

I don't know why the voltage stopped at 24V.
Best regards!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 2:37am On Jun 26, 2020
essegis:
You know its DIY when na kpako we use hang home made bussbars embarassed embarassed embarassed

See wetin COVID-19 do a brother.

Astreria, Australeria, Austria, all area na area (in indabosky odumeje's voice)

@board. You should have used MDF sha, one with beautiful designs rather than the plain coloured ones. It woulda given some more aesthetics to the finishing, plus MDF is easier to work with - drilling, screwing, nailing and other stuff.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 2:43am On Jun 26, 2020
ojeysky:

My current felicity is 1.5kw but my array is 250w X 9 (3s3p) so you should be fine. Just make sure not to exceed the voltage rating of the CC.

grin

Baba, I don already see am for your profile. I don know say you be culprit already. Lol.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 4:42am On Jun 26, 2020
Most properly designed MPPT CCs allow some degree of oversizing the PV array. This capability is not uniformly implemented amongst CCs e.g with EP Solar CCs there is a calculation that caps you at a certain size relative to battery voltage or such. With a MorningStar, you can actually oversize nearly infinitely. I have oversized 200% + with no trouble but at some point it becomes inefficient to keep adding more panels.

One thing I can tell you from experience is that the CC will run much hotter when you oversize and you are advised to incorporate a cooling fan or AC to preserve CC lifespan and performance (avoid CC limiting current when running too hot)

I currently have a 7.7Kw array on a Victron MPPT 250v/100A - effectively oversizing by more than 25%. The CC runs very much hotter than its brethren so I added external cooling.

Worthy of note also is the tolerance for errors reduces with an oversized array -- apart from VoC you should never exceed the CC's max short circuit current limit. If you do then you better, have connected things the right way around (no reverse polarity mistakes or battery disconnects at high wattage charging) else you will surely fry the CC and make a sweet smelling burnt offering to the Sun Goddess to atone for the error of your ways grin

essegis:

You can actually do this. The disadvantage is on you as the CC just wastes the excess power. It will not take more than what it will allow. Although baba, you no go even notice any loss joo.

One thing you should never try though is going above the allowed Voc. That is frying pan territory.

ceaser:

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 5:32am On Jun 26, 2020
So here is a pre-cleanup picture of the final system.

For a shame we could not complete the 19kw install yet, this is just about 15.3kw installed with only 3 out of 4 CCs engaged. Perhaps this weekend I will mount the remainder if I have sufficient will power left angry

PV array is at 6° slope and facing due south - pretty interesting results we have gotten - I wish I could afford and mount a dual axis solar tracker, then we could really take this to the max.

To my chagrin, I found that the household could not interprete the display and icons on the GX to manage power consumption, we also needed access by more than one person across locations so I ended up coding up my own data harvester to talk to the Venus GX and put the results on Emon CMS .Org so it could easily be accessed from any mobile phone.

I was tracking results up until 11am before duty called - note the time stamps at the upper left

For a laugh, I believe I may have set a record for max number of devices connected to a Venus GX device - all the VE.Can, VE.Direct and VE to USB ports are engaged incl. even the ethernet port! Pity the CerboGX only became available after I purchased a VenusGX.

NiyiOmoIyunade:

Meanwhile I have a 19kw array that should go live next week - the array will feed multiple large loads and 40kwh of PylonTech storage - I should be in a position to post live system stats and pictures at that time.

I also have 60A MorningStar MPPT for sale - brand new in factory seal in case you are interested or Oga George wants a spare grin grin grin - despite the move in exchange rates, I will cut anyone who asks a sweet deal at the old market price

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 5:37am On Jun 26, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Most properly designed MPPT CCs allow some degree of oversizing the PV array. This capability is not uniformly implemented amongst CCs e.g with EP Solar CCs there is a calculation that caps you at a certain size relative to battery voltage or such. With a MorningStar, you can actually oversize nearly infinitely. I have oversized 200% + with no trouble but at some point it becomes inefficient to keep adding more panels.

One thing I can tell you from experience is that the CC will run much hotter when you oversize and you are advised to incorporate a cooling fan or AC to preserve CC lifespan and performance (avoid CC limiting current when running too hot)

I currently have a 7.7Kw array on a Victron MPPT 250v/100A - effectively oversizing by more than 25%. The CC runs very much hotter than its brethren so I added external cooling.

Worthy of note also is the tolerance for errors reduces with an oversized array -- apart from VoC you should never exceed the CC's max short circuit current limit. If you do then you better, have connected things the right way around (no reverse polarity mistakes or battery disconnects at high wattage charging) else you will surely fry the CC and make a sweet smelling burnt offering to the Sun Goddess to atone for the error of your ways grin

Nice. Exactly what I was telling him but in Queens English.

My question is why are you saying your Victron MPPT is over sized at 7700w when the spec sheet says 8900w for 48v system. I just bought one and working around the 8900w rating oo, abeg your answer will be appreciated. Thanks.

Modified: Sorry 5800w. I've seen it and that is what I'm working around 16pcs of 360w panels. Now I see why your CC dey cry. Kpele oo.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 5:43am On Jun 26, 2020
My Oga.

The CC is capped at ~100amps battery output. I have a 48v battery system with max charge voltage set to 52.5volts ergo I can only process about 5,250watts of power through the CC per time despite having a 7.7kw array attached.

Benefit is that I see 80-90amps through the CC before 11am.

To the second part of your question, you have/plan 8,900w mounted for a conventional 48v battery system charging between 56v to 59v, you can only process about 6000w through the CC - at peak power you have to consider that you have ~3kw of panels just sitting outside and cooking in the sun, they are contributing nothing to the house loads. To put it technically correct, such a huge PV array would never operate at the maximum efficiency possible.

Hence, it may make sense to buy a second smaller CC and move some of the array to it. 6kw PV on the MPPT 250v/100A and 3kw PV on say an MPPT 150v/45A seems like a sweet spot. You get max solar juice at all times and the CCs work less.

I sometimes struggle to justify a use case for the Victron MPPT 250v/100A because of the very high price The only reason I have one is that I bought and sold some surplus inventory that came at a 30% discount and then kept a few units for myself

I still have the MorningStar CC for sale at 220K please - brand new MPPT 60A in factory packaging

essegis:

Nice. Exactly what I was telling him but in Queens English.

My question is why are you saying your Victron MPPT is over sized at 7700w when the spec sheet says 8900w for 48v system. I just bought one and working around the 8900w rating oo, abeg your answer will be appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 6:07am On Jun 26, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
My Oga.

The CC is capped at ~100amps battery output. I have a 48v battery system with max charge voltage set to 52.5volts ergo I can only process about 5,250watts of power through the CC per time despite having a 7.7kw array attached.

I still have the MorningStar CC for sale at 220K please - brand new MPPT 60A in factory packaging

Baba, congratulations on your set up. Its not easy. My post has been modified as I have seen my mistake. No vex.

But you are not my friend anymore oo. Na friends like you make me go use ₦1m buy Victron when Chinco spoil trowey full market. See as Victron full one person wall nitori olorun.

Abeg make I come dey go before them go say my Ijebu spirit don start again oo.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:21am On Jun 26, 2020
Me that I am envying your Lithium collection and thinking of how I can get some off you to play with grin grin grin grin

As an enthusiast you just want to keep trying out stuff.

My PylonTech source believes I still need another 20KwH to round out my system grin grin grin I just smile, he does not know that I had to sell one vital organ and plan for a long time to get the current set.

Any further spend na die be that o!

Your 1million plus is well spent. Buying trusted premium products, you will never have regrets - the reliability, performance and bells and whistles are well worth it. I used to think Fangpusun was alright until I started using Victron in my own house and saw it blow the Fang outta the water. Imagine trying to aggregate your total PV generation in one dashboard when the CC is Fangpusun or EPSolar cheesy grin grin

essegis:

Baba, congratulations on your set up. Its not easy. My post has been modified as I have seen my mistake. No vex.

But you are not my friend anymore oo. Na friends like you make me go use ₦1m buy Victron when Chinco spoil trowey full market. See as Victron full one person wall nitori olorun.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:40am On Jun 26, 2020
ceaser:

grin

Baba, I don already see am for your profile. I don know say you be culprit already. Lol.

Yes o.... But that limitation go soon disappear once I put my GK back online
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:46am On Jun 26, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Me that I am envying your Lithium collection and thinking of how I can get some off you to play with grin grin grin grin

My PylonTech source believes I still need another 20KwH to round out my system grin grin grin I just smile, he does not know that I had to sell one vital organ and plan for a long time to get the current set.

Your 1million plus is well spent. Buying trusted premium products, you will never have regrets - the reliability, performance and bells and whistles are well worth it. I used to think Fangpusun was alright until I started using Victron in my own house and saw it blow the Fang outta the water. Imagine trying to aggregate your total PV generation in one dashboard when the CC is Fangpusun or EPSolar cheesy grin grin

Which the MK will do flawlessly coupled with emoncms and victron BMV you see fantastic stats for a quarter of the price. I love victron but na only if someone will dash me sha grin wink
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:57am On Jun 26, 2020
Lolz I agree.

But when you are trying to integrate 4+ solar chargers pushing ~19kw under smart BMS control, a 15kva inverter pushing up to 10kw loads, auto remote generator start and stop based on programmable conditions and diesel tank level sensor so you know when to topup fuel and all these into one single monitoring and control dashboard, only Victron or similar premium equipment will do the job easily.

Any other method you will need excellent technical skills to make it happen.

ojeysky:

Which the MK will do flawlessly coupled with emoncms and victron BMV you see fantastic stats for a quarter of the price. I love victron but na only if someone will dash me sha grin wink

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojtech8291: 9:18am On Jun 26, 2020
Any reliable dealer here should help me with the price of Solar Street Light with adjustable LED& holding arms. It is urgent, please. Different wattage and prices and the ideal pole height and price too. Thank you. Please don't put too much price because we are all hustling. Just what you are selling it. Thank you. Waiting for responses.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 9:38am On Jun 26, 2020
Anytime and everyday I read this thread... I always get serious headaches.

... I dey look all of una like Einstein's grin

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 1:28pm On Jun 26, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
My Oga.

To the second part of your question, you have/plan 8,900w mounted for a conventional 48v battery system charging between 56v to 59v, you can only process about 6000w through the CC - at peak power you have to consider that you have ~3kw of panels just sitting outside and cooking in the sun, they are contributing nothing to the house loads. To put it technically correct, such a huge PV array would never operate at the maximum efficiency possible.

Hence, it may make sense to buy a second smaller CC and move some of the array to it. 6kw PV on the MPPT 250v/100A and 3kw PV on say an MPPT 150v/45A seems like a sweet spot. You get max solar juice at all times and the CCs work less.

I sometimes struggle to justify a use case for the Victron MPPT 250v/100A because of the very high price The only reason I have one is that I bought and sold some surplus inventory that came at a 30% discount and then kept a few units for myself

Please Sir at the Bolded can you connect two different solar panel and CC to a single battery bank, or you need to have a separate battery bank. In laymans terms please
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 1:30pm On Jun 26, 2020
essegis:

Come back her sir you are going no where na people like una dey ginger us for this thread

#Don'tLeaveUs
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 1:36pm On Jun 26, 2020
tonididdy:
Anytime and everyday I read this thread... I always get serious headaches.

... I dey look all of una like Einstein's grin

grin grin grin grin

Person just need to know when the Boss are talking. Sit down look na him sure pass

Me after reading through the thread dis afternoon

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bbally: 1:42pm On Jun 26, 2020
please house, I need some lecture/ insight on how to connect an Hybrid inverter or inverter with built-in charger to a separate pwm/mppt cc connected to solar and batteries without causing issues or fault to either the inverter or the cc.

will the current from the cc backflow to the inverter board and vis visa?
is it advisable to set the cc at 14v pv off to give preference to grid charging?
is there anything like charging overload?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 2:50pm On Jun 26, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:30pm On Jun 26, 2020
bbally:
please house, I need some lecture/ insight on how to connect an Hybrid inverter or inverter with built-in charger to a separate pwm/mppt cc connected to solar and batteries without causing issues or fault to either the inverter or the cc.

will the current from the cc backflow to the inverter board and vis visa?
is it advisable to set the cc at 14v pv off to give preference to grid charging?
is there anything like charging overload?

You just need to connect the CC directly to the battery, not to the hybrid inverter
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 11:57pm On Jun 26, 2020
grin grin grin grin grin Good one Mr Niyi!
60kwh Lithium shocked Na to form mini-grid begin bill my neighbours.
I also need a display in the kitchen.
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Queed: 1:47am On Jun 27, 2020
essegis:
Hello guys,

Anyone got any idea of how I can bottom balance my LiFePO4 cells? I don't know what takes 3.2v and no equipment to use and transfer its charge into another set of batteries. Any idea is welcome though.

Im sure sha if I check this house properly I will see my new box of resistors (though not the box type). And I don't know which exact amount to use to drain the bank appropriately. Any calculations for things like these?

See bank below.

Hello essegis!
I think that I could be of help to you.

First, I would make a few assumptions and you can make modifications based on your particular setup.

Your setup is 24p-4s

I assume each cell to be 8Ah

with 24p you have a total of 24 * 8 = 192Ah

I will assume a typical 0.1C discharge = 19.2A

I assume you are balancing @ 3v (you could use 2.5 tho)

Taking max deviation = 3.1v ( highest voltage on any of the parallel combination. I used 3% of the balancing voltage)

Resistor value should be 3.1/19.2 = 0.161 ohms

Power of resistor 19.2* 19.2 *0.161 = 59.35W

Ok so those are the theories!

In practice, it would be better you use six 1ohm resistors, rated at least 11W each, connect in parallel.
If the amount (or size) of the resistor become too much, you can reduce the the discharge capacity (0.1C used here).

I am still a bit confused on how you want to go about this, is that you intend on connecting the balancer manually? Or you have a circuit already to automate everything?

What about active balancer? Have you thought about them? The are more effective and efficient, I could design design one for you based on your setup.

Like these are typical assumptions.
You may do yours according to your taste, the math is still the same.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 6:03am On Jun 27, 2020
Queed:

Hello essegis!
I think that I could be of help to you.

First, I would make a few assumptions and you can make modifications based on your particular setup.

Your setup is 24p-4s Yes

I assume each cell to be 2.2Ah Nah, 8ah

with 24p you have a total of 24 * 2.2 = 52.8Ah

I will assume a typical 10C discharge = 5.28A Is 10C not actually 528A?

I assume you are balancing @ 3.2v This is the nominal na, for the bottom balancing I'm thinking of 3v or a little less

Taking max deviations = 3.5v I don't understand this

Resistor value should be 3.5/5.28 = 0.66 ohms

Power of resistor 5.28* 5.28 *0.66 = 18.4W

Ok so those are the theories!

In practice, it would be better you use two 1ohm resistors, rated at least 15W each, connect in parallel.

I am still a bit confused on how you want to go about this, is that you intend on connecting the balancer manually? Or you have a circuit already to automate everything? On YouTube it's to parallel the cells and find a way to discharge them to your desired low voltage. My problem is the discharge as I wasn't able to get any equipment for that before the lockdown hit

What about active balancer? Have you thought about them? The are more effective and efficient, I could design design one for you based on your setup. Active balancer might be required when they come fully into service
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by korban3134(m): 6:13am On Jun 27, 2020
Good day all

Please I'm a Newbie in this inverter thing...i need help with one or two issues I'm facing.

I had an inverter and 200ah battery installed in my apartment about 5months ago. Initially performance was 7hrs now it barely lasts upto 2hrs. I want to continue with this alternative power thing as I've had my fill of using generators but this is discouraging.

1. Please I need a battery/inverter "Load Chart Guide"

2. Any solutions,/ recommendations on a better quality battery are very welcome

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by korban3134(m): 6:14am On Jun 27, 2020
The inverter

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:06am On Jun 27, 2020
korban3134:
Good day all

Please I'm a Newbie in this inverter thing...i need help with one or two issues I'm facing.

I had an inverter and 200ah battery installed in my apartment about 5months ago. Initially performance was 7hrs now it barely lasts upto 2hrs. I want to continue with this alternative power thing as I've had my fill of using generators but this is discouraging.

1. Please I need a battery/inverter "Load Chart Guide"

2. Any solutions,/ recommendations on a better quality battery are very welcome

I have some questions to make troubleshooting easier.

1) Did you buy the battery new?

2) What is the total load (total device power) connected to the inverter?

3) Do you have any idea the maximum charging current and voltage of the inverter? Do you know the cut off voltage of this inverter? That is the lowest voltage that it cuts off the battery?

4) Do you usually run the inverter with NEPA or generator? If generator, do you have any idea the frequency produced by this generator? If NEPA, do you experience low voltage a lot in your 'hood?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Queed: 8:24am On Jun 27, 2020
[quote author=essegis post=91115723][/quote]
Modified.

(1) (2) (3) ... (778) (779) (780) (781) (782) (783) (784) ... (1684) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: abbey, moneyest(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.