Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (784) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2051225 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (781) (782) (783) (784) (785) (786) (787) ... (1685) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Queed: 12:12am On Jun 30, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
My Oga,

Yes we are based in Lagos just 10 minutes walk from the Lagoon/Seaside grin grin grin.

The area is blessed with abundant cloudy weather, floods and lightning flashes.

To the system - there are 4 CCs - from left to right;

Victron Smart Solar MPPT 250V/100A - 20 Units of Canadian Solar 385W Connected
Victron Blue Solar MPPT 150V/85A - 12 Units of ET Solar 360W Modules Connected - thanks to two trusty NairaLanders
Victron Smart Solar MPPT 150V/70A - 12 Units of Canadian Solar 300W Modules Connected
Victron Smart Solar MPPT 150V/70A - 12 Units of Canadian Solar 330w Modules - will be setup this week as we just took them off the roof of our old location.

So effectively, I was making 12.75Kw of power from a 15.6Kw name plate array on the said day - I am still curious to see what the full 19.58Kw system would do.

16 Pylon Tech US 2000 bricks (8 stacks arranged each side of the cabinet) - that small black box on top of the cabinet is the PylonTech Low Voltage Hub which can help connect I think about 40 units of Pylon Tech together - it is required if you want to interface with the more than 8 Pylon batteries and have them all under 'smart control' - in an open loop system, you will not need the LV Hub.

At the center of it all is the Venus GX (small blue box in the middle) with many wires sticking out - this talks to the inverter, MPPTs and batteries and make sure they all work in perfect sync.

Interestingly the combined PylonTech stack call for 400A of charging current - that is way more power than I would ever want to process through my current equipment - I currently do 245A and may push up to 320A @ 52.5v when done with the install.

At the extreme right is a 15Kva Quattro - in restrospect, I may not have needed such a size or it may have been better to do 3 units 5KVa in a 3 phase config - I may run into issues if I ever want to connect to a 3 phase grid or Generator as I basically wired the house single phase since the Quattro drives everything.

On top of the leftmost Pylon Tech stack are my Raspberry Pi 3 and TP Link Router - together these help me poll the Venus GX for information which I then forward to my EmonCMS dashboard - what I have posted here is the 'family view' so the household can manage power effectively - there is another hidden dashboard where graphs, trends, highs and lows e.t.c to aid system audit and diagnostics are kept.

Wow!
This is looks really nice. Honestly I must confess, the way you all handle and discuss such levels of current and power could be really intimidating! God when! embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 1:41am On Jun 30, 2020
@NiyiOmoIyunade

I've been away for sometime and didn't know you have already dropped the Bomb. Yes, that setup is the Bomb!! Wow. Simply Wow!!

That's a great job you have there and lots of money. Well explained.

And the setup is in Lagos with all the clouds shocked etc. Wow, the Victron CCs are doing wonderful jobs squeezing juice out of that unpredictable weather condition. You really have a huge solar panel farm. And the Pylon-tech batteries must have cost a fortune.

With your setup, you will rarely need a generator or phcn. Planning for this your setup requires real "planning" with lots of money to spend. grin

Thanks for the update. I appreciate.

NiyiOmoIyunade:
My Oga,

Yes we are based in Lagos just 10 minutes walk from the Lagoon/Seaside grin grin grin.

The area is blessed with abundant cloudy weather, floods and lightning flashes.

To the system - there are 4 CCs - from left to right;

Victron Smart Solar MPPT 250V/100A - 20 Units of Canadian Solar 385W Connected
Victron Blue Solar MPPT 150V/85A - 12 Units of ET Solar 360W Modules Connected - thanks to two trusty NairaLanders
Victron Smart Solar MPPT 150V/70A - 12 Units of Canadian Solar 300W Modules Connected
Victron Smart Solar MPPT 150V/70A - 12 Units of Canadian Solar 330w Modules - will be setup this week as we just took them off the roof of our old location.

So effectively, I was making 12.75Kw of power from a 15.6Kw name plate array on the said day - I am still curious to see what the full 19.58Kw system would do.

16 Pylon Tech US 2000 bricks (8 stacks arranged each side of the cabinet) - that small black box on top of the cabinet is the PylonTech Low Voltage Hub which can help connect I think about 40 units of Pylon Tech together - it is required if you want to interface with the more than 8 Pylon batteries and have them all under 'smart control' - in an open loop system, you will not need the LV Hub.

At the center of it all is the Venus GX (small blue box in the middle) with many wires sticking out - this talks to the inverter, MPPTs and batteries and make sure they all work in perfect sync.

Interestingly the combined PylonTech stack call for 400A of charging current - that is way more power than I would ever want to process through my current equipment - I currently do 245A and may push up to 320A @ 52.5v when done with the install.

At the extreme right is a 15Kva Quattro - in restrospect, I may not have needed such a size or it may have been better to do 3 units 5KVa in a 3 phase config - I may run into issues if I ever want to connect to a 3 phase grid or Generator as I basically wired the house single phase since the Quattro drives everything.

On top of the leftmost Pylon Tech stack are my Raspberry Pi 3 and TP Link Router - together these help me poll the Venus GX for information which I then forward to my EmonCMS dashboard - what I have posted here is the 'family view' so the household can manage power effectively - there is another hidden dashboard where graphs, trends, highs and lows e.t.c to aid system audit and diagnostics are kept.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 7:21am On Jun 30, 2020
ojeysky:

MPP GK back online with a few redress, 3 things I noticed straight up.

1. MPPT efficiency is way better than the felicity I was using temporarily. Now it's just less than 2A difference between charge current reading from MPP and BMV as against 5A on felicity.

2. MPP also seem to support more battery option on 3kva GK such as the pylontech.

3. Fan noise is way more silent, it feels like there is an improvement with the new board

Was this your type of Felicity?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:43am On Jun 30, 2020
ojeysky:
My people, I need good panels with minimum of 33vmp and that has a maximum dimension of 1650 by 992. I know the 305 Canadian fits but that's beyond my budget, any suggestion of another good one that fits?

You didnt see my review of yingli 280w poly panels.
That shit routinely delivers in excess of nameplate energy rating.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:47am On Jun 30, 2020
earthrealm:

You didnt see my review of yingli 280w poly panels.
That shit routinely delivers in excess of nameplate energy rating.

Rated voltage of this is not too far from my sunfit as well. Though sunfit is rated 30v I get between 31 and 34v
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:51am On Jun 30, 2020
ceaser:

Was this your type of Felicity?

No it's the attached hybrid, which I have now packaged back waiting for any interested buyer.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 12:42pm On Jun 30, 2020
ojeysky:

No it's the attached hybrid, which I have now packaged back waiting for any interested buyer.

How much are u selling
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 12:43pm On Jun 30, 2020
ojeysky:

Rated voltage of this is not too far from my sunfit as well. Though sunfit is rated 30v I get between 31 and 34v

Can u use two different brand of solar panel on one set up
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by coldcandy: 12:45pm On Jun 30, 2020
Hello men of good will.
I am planning my house and intend to use solar panels on the roof. Now I have some grey areas to resolve.
1. Do i need a special roofing reinforcement to accommodate the solar panels?
2. Should I have two distribution circuits- one for the solar, another for phcn? This means i will have designated sockets/lighting points for solar and phcn all over the house.

Pls advise.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 12:54pm On Jun 30, 2020
Who has a 48v50A module charger to sell?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 2:57pm On Jun 30, 2020
7.5kva 48v felicity pure sine wave inverter available, #280000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 3:00pm On Jun 30, 2020
DC breakers available, call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 3:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
2.5kva 24v diamond inverter available, #85000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 3:18pm On Jun 30, 2020
ojeysky:

Apparently it is high frequency type.
What are the other specs?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 4:00pm On Jun 30, 2020
I thank God I discovered this group. In the small time I have spent here I have learnt so much here with a lot of side helps. Thanks to the folks making this place go on. More grease to all your elbows. That being said my eyes have seen things. I am still stunned at what I came across between yesterday and today.

So I requested for a MK3 interface to help program my Victron and before you can say Jack Robinson two cool guys raised their hands and vola I was on my way to the island to pick it up without even thinking about any other plan for the day.

I found a museum. One with modern capabilities and set up instead of antiques. I am talking about the system of sir @NiyiOmoIyunade. As I type I still dey try to get my head around what I saw. So many panels, so many Victron, so much power, so much big words I was lost somewhere.

Even when my archaic brain couldn't find a way to get around the inability of the MK3 to connect with my laptop he offered to help and I was knocking on his door before day break today. Baba didn't even mind, attended to me like say we have been growing up buddies. Abeg you can all help me thank him.

And if you really really wanna see why his batteries are called that they come with bells and whistles take style look the attached pictures.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 5:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
essegis:
I thank God I discovered this group

Even when my archaic brain couldn't find a way to get around the inability of the MK3 to connect with my laptop he offered to help and I was knocking on his door before day break today. Baba didn't even mind, attended to me like say we have been growing up buddies. Abeg you can all help me thank him.

@NiyiOmoIyunade, is a very nice man. he is always ready to share from his wealth of experience. His honest advise on the best approach to things is top notch!!

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 6:37pm On Jun 30, 2020
essegis:
I thank God I discovered this group. In the small time I have spent here I have learnt so much here with a lot of side helps. Thanks to the folks making this place go on. More grease to all your elbows. That being said my eyes have seen things. I am still stunned at what I came across between yesterday and today.

So I requested for a MK3 interface to help program my Victron and before you can say Jack Robinson two cool guys raised their hands and vola I was on my way to the island to pick it up without even thinking about any other plan for the day.

I found a museum. One with modern capabilities and set up instead of antiques. I am talking about the system of sir @NiyiOmoIyunade. As I type I still dey try to get my head around what I saw. So many panels, so many Victron, so much power, so much big words I was lost somewhere.

And if you really really wanna see why his batteries are called that they come with bells and whistles take style look the attached pictures.

Lol @ Museum.

Na real museum of sun energy. Mr. NiyiOmolyunade is in the heavyweight category.

Thank you o Mr. Niyi for being of reliable help in times of need. It appears one other thing that gives you exhilaration is probably having more people jump on the AE train. God bless you, keep up the good work.

I shared to neighbours that usually come to charge their phones in my crib, all my AGMs when I settled for the lightweight league Lithium, having upgraded from the featherweight lithium category. That encouraged them to get small sized (9k modified wave) inverters and at least one 150w panel to power basic things - lights, charging, 19 inches TVs mostly and Gotv. Even some of them that were hitherto on MTN lumous started to blame themselves for that bondage.

The community has no grid power yet and I was the only one on reliable AE. Aside from the reduced traffic of phone and torchlight charging at my place grin, It's always a thing of joy to see rays from light bulbs shine thru their windows at night when I pass by.

12 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:02pm On Jun 30, 2020
ojeysky:

Yeah, the 300w or 330w variant should meet your spec of 33vmp
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:08pm On Jun 30, 2020
ceaser:

Apparently it is high frequency type.
What are the other specs?

I think it operated at 50hz, they did something to it that makes it seem to display lesser power consumption compared to my GK. Ofcourse that also skewed my data accuracy

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:08pm On Jun 30, 2020
coldcandy:
Hello men of good will.
I am planning my house and intend to use solar panels on the roof. Now I have some grey areas to resolve.
2. Should I have two distribution circuits- one for the solar, another for phcn? This means i will have designated sockets/lighting points for solar and phcn all over the house.

Pls advise.
Ans to question 1...nope

Ans to question 2. ..nope/not necessary.
Buy a 3 phase db, 1 phase for all light & socket points, you want on inverter/solar..the other 2 phases for your non inverter loads....finis

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:13pm On Jun 30, 2020
spartacus11:

How much are u selling

Sold
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:15pm On Jun 30, 2020
spartacus11:

I believe so, especially if their ratings are similar, and certainly if you can plan only like panels in series
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 7:20pm On Jun 30, 2020
ojeysky:

I think it operated at 50hz, they did something to it that makes it seem to display lesser power consumption compared to my GK. Ofcourse that also skewed my data accuracy

Low tare. That's cool. What's the value?

There's one that was marketed to someone I know. It's 80amps MPPT and 3kva. The supplier is mumbling something about 200k but someone has revealed the secret that it can be supplied for much less than that.

I don't know the tare though. I'd have loved to make a good comparison.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 7:43pm On Jun 30, 2020
ojeysky:

I believe so, especially if their ratings are similar, and certainly if you can plan only like panels in series

You can put different brands of Solar Panels in series if their current ratings are similar within 5% tolerance

You can similarly put different brands in parallel if their voltage ratings are similar or within 5% tolerance

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 7:53pm On Jun 30, 2020
spartacus11:

In addition to the already good answers given.
Dont mix poly and mono panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 8:03pm On Jun 30, 2020
Interesting...Didn't occur to me that some here might be running Home Assistant. I'm thinking of doing something similar with a fridge once my system is setup. Biko, how can I contact you? Would you mind sharing some of your flows? Thanks!

adrusa:

Good point. My setup at this point is similar. But, I use Home Assistant and Node Red to set up an automation that switches on my pump between 10am and 3pm if my SOC is 86% and my current to battery is higher than 10A. But when I was using NEPA to pump water, I allowed only the float switch to do the control. By the way, the node red and home assistant also run my water heater between 12noon and 4pm if my SOC is 96% and above and my battery current is higher than 20A.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 8:35pm On Jun 30, 2020
@essegis

Thats a great testimony coming from you. We have so many good guys here but you may not know until you have direct dealings with them. You just see several people here with their username but wouldn't know who is behind those names. Different kinds of people full here so the best is to be polite to everyone and also watch out for the scammers too.

I have met several nairalanders (solar and FTA forums anyway) and they are mostly honest, highly placed people in the society. Nigerians are good people apart from the very few scammers. The first time i sent money to somebody here just to purchase something, my wife was scared. Somebody I have never met before but my goods were delivered.

So enjoy, learn and you will realise this is the best place to be. You will just learn something everyday.

Solar has changed my life. I have had constant light since the day I put up my setup and I have saved a lot of money. I have not used my generator for the past 3 to 4 years. Can you imagine. It is the best way to go. And do you know PHCN people have visited my house several times with their testing tools to check because i no longer buy token like before. Enjoy the world of renewable energy. No body can do you shakara. Well done @NiyiOmoIyunade. You are appreciated.

essegis:

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 8:48pm On Jun 30, 2020
babaegun:
@essegis
Solar has changed my life. I have had constant light since the day I put up my setup and I have saved a lot of money. I have not used my generator for the past 3 to 4 years. Can you imagine. It is the best way to go. And do you know PHCN people have visited my house several times with their testing tools to check because i no longer buy token like before. Enjoy the world of renewable energy. No body can do you shakara. Well done @NiyiOmoIyunade. You are appreciated.

@bolded.

Abeg na God I take beg una, next time they show up why don't you do them the courtesy of unleashing the dogs on 'em if you have one. Shey dem no know say you don become the husband of dem mama ni?

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Queed: 9:10pm On Jun 30, 2020
ceaser:

@bolded.

Abeg na God I take beg una, next time they show up why don't you do them the courtesy of unleashing the dogs on 'em if you have one. Shey dem no know say you don become the husband of dem mama ni?
Baba you too mean oo cheesy grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2020
earthrealm:

In addition to the already good answers given.
Dont mix poly and mono panels

It doesn't matter whether it is poly or mono. What matters is the current and voltage ratings.

Poly vs. Mono are just manufacturing techniques that don't change the laws of Electricity. The CC don't know and don't care whether it is mono or poly

For series connection, match the current but, match the voltage for parallel connections and you are good to go.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:25pm On Jun 30, 2020
coldcandy:
Hello men of good will.

Pls advise.

1: Just make sure the roof no too slope. The best angle is an almost flat surface (for Naija) for overall better performance throughout the year. But if it's a high pitched roofs of up to and over 48 degrees, you should consider a professional roof mount with a tilt leg to put the panel at this almost horizontal angle for optimum yield.

2. Incorporating a renewable energy only DB is an awesome adventure to embark on. This truly makes the addition of an inverter almost seamless. Also you'll never run into a condition that your inverter is forced to power an equipment you don't want to run on it. This is why banks and other firms have a dedicated "UPS DB" to cater for loads such as PC, printers, etc that needs to be always on in the event of a power changeover or failure. So I'll recommend you go for it.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 10:58pm On Jun 30, 2020
litaninja:
Interesting...Didn't occur to me that some here might be running Home Assistant. I'm thinking of doing something similar with a fridge once my system is setup. Biko, how can I contact you? Would you mind sharing some of your flows? Thanks!

I will certainly be glad to share my flow if I understand how it may help you. Node-red on home assistant is a great automation setup. I was using electronic timers, but I have replaced them all with esp based switches. Makes my home easy to manage.

(1) (2) (3) ... (781) (782) (783) (784) (785) (786) (787) ... (1685) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: ATPx and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.