Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (812) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2043893 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (809) (810) (811) (812) (813) (814) (815) ... (1679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by alstacs(m): 7:37am On Aug 02, 2020
justcallmenuel:
220Ah 12v okaya tubular battery now available, #120000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

I am sorry house. I noticed that over the past years there has been a wide variability in the prices of deep cycle batteries unlike in the past when the prices were somewhat close.
For instance I see 12V, 200mAH batteries go for between 80k to as high as 180k each. What then guides people's informed choices on these batteries?
Why are some so cheap and others over 100% above the cost of others?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 7:59am On Aug 02, 2020
alstacs:

I am sorry house. I noticed that over the past years there has been a wide variability in the prices of deep cycle batteries unlike in the past when the prices were somewhat close.
For instance I see 12V, 200mAH batteries go for between 80k to as high as 180k each. What then guides people's informed choices on these batteries?
Why are some so cheap and others over 100% above the cost of others?

Durability and quality bro. Let me share a personal experience with you.At some point
in 2019April (precisely)I bought 2 units of 200ah AGM battery at Alaba for 72k each while the reputable Indian brands were going for 120k each.

The battery lasted only 9 months.You can't compare a Quanta battery of 150k each with a battery of 85k.Good value comes at a premium!!

Although another school of thought will insist the 85k China batteries will serve you well if hooked up with panels but I haven't verified that sha!!!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:30am On Aug 02, 2020
ayinba1:
The job is in Ibadan. Not sure what the distance is. I plan to buy some of the needed components that may need to be imported. So, if you and your electrician will take a job in Ibadan, add transport and lodging - email me so we can talk more.

Not really am just an enthusiast, it's not what I do for a living.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ayinba1(f): 9:40am On Aug 02, 2020
ojeysky:

Not really am just an enthusiast, it's not what I do for a living.

That's really kind of you. Maybe I can get your professional input when it's time
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:07am On Aug 02, 2020
'...Then Jesus answered and said - Blessed art thou Simon son of Jonah, for flesh and blood hath not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven!....'

This your bolded words should be engraved in gold lettering on a marble plaque and placed in a prominent place in the heart and mind of any and everyone who does anything with batteries, inverters, solar and renewable energy in general.

omotoda:

Durability and quality bro. Let me share a personal experience with you.At some point
in 2019April (precisely)I bought 2 units of 200ah AGM battery at Alaba for 72k each while the reputable Indian brands were going for 120k each.

The battery lasted only 9 months.You can't compare a Quanta battery of 150k each with a battery of 85k.Good value comes at a premium!!

Although another school of thought will insist the 85k China batteries will serve you well if hooked up with panels but I haven't verified that sha!!!

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 10:17am On Aug 02, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
'...Then Jesus answered and said - Blessed art thou Simon son of Jonah, for flesh and blood hath not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven!....'

This your bolded words should be engraved in gold lettering on a marble plaque and placed in a prominent place in the heart and mind of any and everyone who does anything with batteries, inverters, solar and renewable energy in general.

cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TBrownAuto(m): 10:35am On Aug 02, 2020
What you said is not truly correct using price to compare the quality of battery, the fact is most importer sometime import different brand and print another name on them, very ram pared that how they make profit, the only way to manage your battery is how you used it, Yes, you charge and discharge, each process is called a cycle and every battery has times of cycle which is the real life time of that battery

So buy battery with high number of cycle, but you will never see it on the battery spec or on the battery due to Nigeria fraud way of doing business

NiyiOmoIyunade:

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:36am On Aug 02, 2020
ayinba1:

That's really kind of you. Maybe I can get your professional input when it's time

Sure I can contribute what I can but I must note to you that I am just an apprentice on this matter grin, there are some pros here who am sure will always chime in when necessary.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:47am On Aug 02, 2020
omotoda:

Talk about getting what you pay for! Premium always comes at a price.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cell7(m): 11:03am On Aug 02, 2020
omotoda:

. Checkout the amount of load on the batteries. You overloaded the batteries! I use them (85k batteries) and they last over 2 years and counting...

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 11:15am On Aug 02, 2020
ceaser:
Private hostel:

✓ 20 rooms self contained lighting point (approx 40 lighting points)
✓ Pumping machine 750hp (better it is run during daylight hours) - controlled by float switch and a timer so programmed.
✓ Charging points in the rooms (1 usb AC socket per room) giving around 5 watts x 20 rooms = 100 watts.

I'm yet to determine insolation and sun direction and also the distance from roof to potential site of inverter set up.

My proposal:

• 60 amp MPPT (1 unit)
• 10mm duo core
• 320 watts mono panel (12 units) to be in 3s3p
• Felicity 48volts 3kva pure sine hybrid with 60amp MPPT to take the remaining 3 units of panels.
• 48v 100amp Lithium battery

What d'you think sirs?

Looks cool, add this voltage and current protection device to the mix, should in case any occupant of the room deem it necessary to add more load to the existing one grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 11:26am On Aug 02, 2020
TBrownAuto:
What you said is not truly correct using price to compare the quality of battery, the fact is most importer sometime import different brand and print another name on them, very ram pared that how they make profit, the only way to manage your battery is how you used it, Yes, you charge and discharge, each process is called a cycle and every battery has times of cycle which is the real life time of that battery

So buy battery with high number of cycle, but you will never see it on the battery spec or on the battery due to Nigeria fraud way of doing business

It is true the price is not only the indicator to the quality of a product, but over time premium products are usually costlier than their non premium counterpart. It is now left to the discretion of the buyer if they are willing to part with more for the perceived quality of the product. It's like walking on a tightrope, you need the pole (your common sense) to achieve the equilibrium while watching out for that rogue gust of wind (overpriced goods) that may knock you off the rope. grin

As per knowing the number of cycles, do you really blame the people importing it (Nigerians) or the people producing it (Chinese) for this lack of information? Often times, stuffs such as this is hidden by the manufacturer, the buyer on the other hand does not really care as the batteries are pretty cheap. After all most marketing decision always comes down to the cost of the product.

Of course no marketer will want you to know the cheap battery you just bought has only 250 cycles, but they can always tell you that it is 70k each for 200ah grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 3:40pm On Aug 02, 2020
mctfopt:

It is true the price is not only the indicator to the quality of a product, but over time premium products are usually costlier than their non premium counterpart. It is now left to the discretion of the buyer if they are willing to part with more for the perceived quality of the product. It's like walking on a tightrope, you need the pole (your common sense) to achieve the equilibrium while watching out for that rogue gust of wind (overpriced goods) that may knock you off the rope. grin

As per knowing the number of cycles, do you really blame the people importing it (Nigerians) or the people producing it (Chinese) for this lack of information? Often times, stuffs such as this is hidden by the manufacturer, the buyer on the other hand does not really care as the batteries are pretty cheap. After all most marketing decision always comes down to the cost of the product.

Of course no marketer will want you to know the cheap battery you just bought has only 250 cycles, but they can always tell you that it is 70k each for 200ah grin

One very easy way to be deceived into overpaying for goods (battery inclusive) is to equate high price with quality. Even in international markets where big brands are involved, many have come to realize that a large part of the cost you pay for big brands goes into the branding racketeering. Nokia android phones are a good example. Those phones are not made by Nokia, they are made by HMD Global who make returns to Nokia per unit sold. So, when you buy a nokia phone, a little part of your cost price goes to paying for the label on the phone.

On the other hand, buying goods solely on price is a very good way of ending with a dud. If it is extremely cheap, that is often for a reason; fake product, under-specification (150AH labelled as 200AH), use of poor quality components, poor after-sale services etc.

So, price should be the least of your consideration when buying batteries.

1. Physically inspect the battery; poor attention to manufacturing details is often obvious even from the packaging. Poor external appearance often signposts poor internal quality.
2. Track records; ask people who have used a product before about their experience. While some people will be lucky or unlucky, if you get a fairly consistent report about a battery, you should take those reports seriously.
3. Traceable to a known manufacturer. People put their labels on product as a way of establishing brand recognition and dominance. Companies with consistent poor reports will soon disappear. Be aware that many unscrupulous businessmen can put any label on any product,
4. After sale services. Even best companies have occasional failures and problematic production batches. Do they stand by their products with good warranty supports? I will buy a weak local product with warranty compared to a strong brand with no one to talk to when problem arises.
5. Finally, people say, you should buy battery based on weight as the components are fairly standard in the same product group. If a 200AH AGM battery weighs less than 150AH from a good brand, you are probably buying poor quality or fake product. However, this comes with a caveat as some dubious manufacturers have been known to add glass or rock to a compartment in their battery to add dead weight.

These are better things to consider rather buying the one asking for more money. But like others have pointed out, the treatment of your batteries is probably the best indicator of how long it will last you. Consistent over-discharge or overcharging of any battery will make it die young.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 4:02pm On Aug 02, 2020
A few 11 to 15v 1 to 53A adjustable lithium Chargers available

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TBrownAuto(m): 4:27pm On Aug 02, 2020
well explained, having inverter was once fun to have, now its costly than it value due to low quality batteries and bad Naira

adrusa:

One very easy way to be deceived into overpaying for goods (battery inclusive) is to equate high price with quality. Even in international markets where big brands are involved, many have come to realize that a large part of the cost you pay for big brands goes into the branding racketeering. Nokia android phones are a good example. Those phones are not made by Nokia, they are made by HMD Global who make returns to Nokia per unit sold. So, when you buy a nokia phone, a little part of your cost price goes to paying for the label on the phone.

On the other hand, buying goods solely on price is a very good way of ending with a dud. If it is extremely cheap, that is often for a reason; fake product, under-specification (150AH labelled as 200AH), use of poor quality components, poor after-sale services etc.

1. Physically inspect the battery; poor attention to manufacturing details is often obvious even from the packaging. Poor external appearance often signposts poor internal quality.
2. Track records; ask people who have used a product before about their experience. While some people will be lucky or unlucky, if you get a fairly consistent report about a battery, you should take those reports seriously.
3. Traceable to a known manufacturer. People put their labels on product as a way of establishing brand recognition and dominance. Companies with consistent poor reports will soon disappear. Be aware that many unscrupulous businessmen can put any label on any product,
4. After sale services. Even best companies have occasional failures and problematic production batches. Do they stand by their products with good warranty supports? I will buy a weak local product with warranty compared to a strong brand with no one to talk to when problem arises.
5. Finally, people say, you should buy battery based on weight as the components are fairly standard in the same product group. If a 200AH AGM battery weighs less than 150AH from a good brand, you are probably buying poor quality or fake product. However, this comes with a caveat as some dubious manufacturers have been known to add glass or rock to a compartment in their battery to add dead weight.

These are better things to consider rather buying the one asking for more money. But like others have pointed out, the treatment of your batteries is probably the best indicator of how long it will last you. Consistent over-discharge or overcharging of any battery will make it die young.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 5:04pm On Aug 02, 2020
adrusa:

I guess we are saying the same thing with different grammar..

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 5:06pm On Aug 02, 2020
ojeysky:
A few 11 to 15v 1 to 53A adjustable lithium Chargers available

The specs looks awesome. My LFP people running 12v, wetin dey hol una?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 8:07pm On Aug 02, 2020
mctfopt:

I guess we are saying the same thing with different grammar..

Yes, I was backing up and extending your position.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:28pm On Aug 02, 2020
This whole quality/premium vs price discussion. What I have found is that in a free market with informed participants, good quality and higher price generally go together.

The market soon learns to avoid a low quality product with high prices and continue to pay a premium for a good quality or top grade product. You may succeed foisting a falsely rated or falsely branded el-cheapo product on people for a while but ultimately the market feedback mechanism will weed out such a product when it fails to stand the test of time.

I classify products firmly in the premium, value and mass market (disposable) segment. In today's market, I do not know a battery with same real life performance as Quanta ( I rate the battery a decent value offering and not premium) that sells for 60% of the Quanta price except self imports or deals come up.

Same way Victrons and MustPowers cannot be compared in the things they do - a premium product will always attract higher prices vs the value or low budget offering all things being equal.

That said, pricing alone is not the criteria to know a premium product by - feedback from previous buyers/users, verified datasheets and field performance data as well as being knowledgable about that specific niche the product plays in so that you can match the correct product to the correct application all go a long way.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:03pm On Aug 02, 2020
adrusa:

Yes, I was backing up and extending your position.

Awesome.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 9:09pm On Aug 02, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
This whole quality/premium vs price discussion. What I have found is that in a free market with informed participants, good quality and higher price generally go together.

The market soon learns to avoid a low quality product with high prices and continue to pay a premium for a good quality or top grade product. You may succeed foisting a falsely rated or falsely branded el-cheapo product on people for a while but ultimately the market feedback mechanism will weed out such a product when it fails to stand the test of time.

I classify products firmly in the premium, value and mass market (disposable) segment. In today's market, I do not know a battery with same real life performance as Quanta ( I rate the battery a decent value offering and not premium) that sells for 60% of the Quanta price except self imports or deals come up.

Same way Victrons and MustPowers cannot be compared in the things they do - a premium product will always attract higher prices vs the value or low budget offering all things being equal.

That said, pricing alone is not the criteria to know a premium product by - feedback from previous buyers/users, verified datasheets and field performance data as well as being knowledgable about that specific niche the product plays in so that you can match the correct product to the correct application all go a long way.
Namely, you pay for R & D while the cheaper ones are often imitations. Case study: Victron vs Fangpusun
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Abigai(f): 12:55am On Aug 03, 2020
gurus, why are we not taking about wind turbine or is it that it is not applicable in Nigeria?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 2:30am On Aug 03, 2020
mctfopt:

The specs looks awesome. My LFP people running 12v, wetin dey hol una?

Those with existing 12v LFP will already have a charger, the question will be more to new LFP banks users I guess. Perhaps the lithium market is not as large afterall.....na stop to dey ship extra gears o....before the thing send me back to village grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 2:56am On Aug 03, 2020
Please is there a particular reason one would want a separate charger and not utilize the charging functionality already bundled with a decent inverter?

ojeysky:

Those with existing 12v LFP will already have a charger, the question will be more to new LFP banks users I guess. Perhaps the lithium market is not as large afterall.....na stop to dey ship extra gears o....before the thing send me back to village grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:31am On Aug 03, 2020
mctfopt:

Looks cool, add this voltage and current protection device to the mix, should in case any occupant of the room deem it necessary to add more load to the existing one grin

This is really good. I think one can find a way to integrate it in each room. Currently the plan is to have only one point USB charging socket installed in each room. The socket is AC-powered but only has USB socket output.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 4:33am On Aug 03, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Please is there a particular reason one would want a separate charger and not utilize the charging functionality already bundled with a decent inverter?

I can attempt to answer this, most that transitioned to LFP use may be using inverter not adequately suited for charging LFP. An external charger may just be what they might need.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:02am On Aug 03, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Yes sir. Using my experience as an instance.

I recently gave out a 12v system (the BTS inverter that I retired). Stuff was installed indoors with some ventilation of course, and the user being someone with acute sense of smell complained that the battery produces some odour whenever it charges, more pronounced with mains charging. I believed right away, and had to provide 12v LFP replacement.

Now instead of the battery to charge to 14v cc-cv with the in-built inverter charger it stays at 13.6v float voltage especially when it has initially sensed a 14.1v SoC in the LFP. 12v LFP needs a constant 14.2v driven in until charging source is removed, and not the 14v boost, 13.6v float voltage algorithm programmed in that inverter.

I had to eventually reluctantly include one of my extra 12v LFP chargers in the giveaway.

By the way, I also have 12.7v Li-ion AC chargers (for 12v 18/65/0s battery pack) for sale, for anyone interested. They are all new, unused but have been tested. Pictures later.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:58am On Aug 03, 2020
DISCOUNTED PRICE !!!

- Axpert 3kva 24v wall mount hybrid inverter with 50a pwm solar controller ... 100,000

- Schneider 1.5kva 24v hybrid inverter with 1000 watts solar compatibility ...75,000

- Distilled water & electrolytes for battery maintenance .. 25L Gallon for 7000 . Distilled water 1L × 12 for 5000

- Energy monitor meter or kill-a-watt device ... 15,000

- Programmable Digital 63 amps AVP with ammeter and current limiting feature... 15,000

- DC surge protective device..... 12,000

- Programmable wall mount timer switch ... 12,000

- DC battery 12 volts LCD meter .... 2000

Contact for enquiry & orders,
Smartcell global services
Call:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:04am On Aug 03, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

There is no major reason for that unless the inbuilt charger is not doing as much amps as required. So if my bank is 400AH and my inbuilt charger can only do 30A, adding an external one to support will be helpful to the battery.

The other reason I can think of is for certain lithium BMS that does not wake up with solar charging when they trip due to cut off voltage. An external charger will be required to jumpstart the BMS so the inverter can come alive.

Edit: I see this has been dealt with
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:04am On Aug 03, 2020
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead batteries from any state to Lagos(T&C applies) .

12v 200a ..... N14,000
12v 150a.......N10,5000
12v 100a.......N7,000
2v 500a.......N5,500

If outside Lagos state , send the scrap batteries to your nearby Lagos park & get your payment alert immediately after confirmatory remarks from me with the transport company manager / secretary or driver .

Contact,
CALL:: 081-350-31951

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:26am On Aug 03, 2020
DISCOUNTED BATTERY PRICE!!!

USA Deka 210a 12v battery ...... 209,000 per unit, 205,000 (4 units above)

Quanta 200a 12v battery ....... 147,000 per unit , 145,000 (4 units above)

USA Trojan 315s 6v battery..............175,000
USA Trojan 205a 12v battery .......... 190,000
USA Trojan 170a 12v flooded battery....110,000
Foresolar 12v 250a agm battery.... 110,000
SMS 100a 12v AGM battery ............ 50,000
SMS 200a 12v AGM battery .............92,000
SMS 200a 12v 60kg AGM battery .......103,000
Vietnamese 200a 12v agm battery ... offloading soon
Vietnamese 200a 12v vrga battery ... Offloading soon

All items comes with standard company warranty !

Contact for enquiry & orders,
Call:: 081-350-31951

(1) (2) (3) ... (809) (810) (811) (812) (813) (814) (815) ... (1679) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.