Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,059 members, 7,814,644 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (943) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2054347 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (940) (941) (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) ... (1688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 6:24pm On Feb 10, 2021
omotoda:
I am about to finally increase my battery bank and I need the input of more experienced folks here :

I have a 24volts system of 2 209ah batteries which serves perfectly during the day since itbus connected to 4 units of 260 watts panel.Public power is at an average of 12 hours a day spread between 5am-12noon and 7pm - 12midnight( the night portion isn't always guaranteed though)
Most times I use gen at night between 7pm and 11pm if there is no power so as to ensure battery is charged for over night use.

My plan now is not to use gen at all.

Plan A

Increase my battery bank to 4 units of 200ah ,add additional/separate panels through a separate charge controller(available already) to increase charging capacity of the 4 units

Plan B
Set up a separate inverter( also available) with 2 units of 200ah batteries strictly for night use.

Which do you expert think is best please?

2 questions

1. What is the size of your load?
2. How long ago did you get your current batteries?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 6:29pm On Feb 10, 2021
plan b better option, you did not state how long you been using the existing banks. don't mix old batteries with new batteries. recipe for disaster.
design a different bank and enjoy, I have similar setups multiple banks. day time load is on the bigger bank. by 10pm I switch to another bank till morning.. you eventually don't on genetors for months and your nepa bill is less.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wilmaria14: 6:33pm On Feb 10, 2021
alien1:
Greetings everyone. Please will a 2 200ah battery be able to power a 1 hp water pumping machine?
yes
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 6:34pm On Feb 10, 2021
[/b]
samnaija:
plan b better option[b], you did not state how long you been using the existing banks
. don't mix old batteries with new batteries. recipe for disaster.
design a different bank and enjoy, I have similar setups multiple banks. day time load is on the bigger bank. by 10pm I switch to another bank till morning.. you eventually don't on genetors for months and your nepa bill is less.

I am getting new sets of batteries.Old batteries already weak.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 6:44pm On Feb 10, 2021
omotoda:
[b][/b]

I am getting new sets of batteries.Old batteries already weak.
then don't mix the old batteries with the new ones. when you mix such, the old batteries pull down the new ones to their weak state. get a different battery bank if you can make it bigger than the old one. use the new one for day time loads tv fridge.while old one for night time (low watts fan)...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 6:44pm On Feb 10, 2021
unicmarket:

2 questions

1. What is the size of your load?
2. How long ago did you get your current batteries?

1.My load is about 250 watts during g the day and about 350 watts at night

2.I am getting new sets of batteries.Existing batteries are weak already although they still serve well on sunny days because they are hooked to solar panels.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 6:47pm On Feb 10, 2021
samnaija:
then don't mix the old batteries with the new ones. when you mix such, the old batteries pull down the new ones to their weak state. get a different battery bank if you can make it bigger than the old one. use the new one for day time loads tv fridge.while old one for night time (low watts fan)...

The old ones cannot support my night load at all.It is weak already.I have a separate set up for fridge and freezer independent of the main one for house loads.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 6:54pm On Feb 10, 2021
[quote author=omotoda post=98941017]

The old ones cannot support my night load at all.It is weak already.I have a separate set up for fridge and freezer independent of the main one for house loads.[/quote

alright then switch leave the old bank with day time and new bank with night time. temporary. your panels can only delay or postpone judgement day. eventually the whole bank will need to be changed .
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:01pm On Feb 10, 2021
HISTORICAL FUN FACTS

#FUN FACT 1: The  AERL MAXIMIZER™, was  the world’s first truly Universal Maximum Power Point Tracker (MPPT) Manufactured in 1985 by Australian Energy Research Laboratories

#FUN FACT 2: The first Application of Solar energy was in the 7th Century BC where Magnifying glass was used to concentrate sun’s rays to make fire and burn ants.

#FUN FACT 3 : The Luz del Norte 144 MW photovoltaic (PV) power plant, developed and operated by First Solar, is the world's first known utility-scale solar facility licensed to deliver ancillary grid services

#FUN FACT 4: The first “fully solar powered” railway section in India. South Central Railway's Nandyal-Yerraguntla section in Guntakal Division has been declared as the first solar section in India that has all of its stations in one stretch powered by solar panels.

#FUN FACT 5: The first Solar powered Hopstial in Nigeria is the Ozubulu Hospital in Anambra State. Built by Eauxwell, the 7.5 kWp facility has just been commissioned by the REA

Contact us for any of your power inverter , solar system needs as we're affiliated with renewable energy companies enlisted below:

- Solar shop Africa
- Genus
- Luminous
- Felicity
- Icell power
- Proton power
- Foresolar
- Epever
- Cobalt
- Era solar
- JA solar
- Must power
- Prag
- Schneider
- Victron systems
- Canadian solar
- Jinko
- Morningstar
- Magnum
- Midnite
- Ultron systems
- SMA
- Ritar
- Fullriver
- Yingli
- SMS solar lights , batteries & inverter systems
- Keye solar lights
- Multipower
- SMK
- Gennex
- Flames
- Monbat
- Fangpuson
- LD solar
- Apodon
- SRNE
- Vmax
- Ipanda
- Growatts
- Aimspower
- Sorotec
- Voltronic
- Grundfos
- German hoppecke
- German Phocos
- Multifit
- Psmart
- Signeer

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL ONLY:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP ONLY::: https:///2348170385620

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:29pm On Feb 10, 2021
IYGEAL:
So I acquired a lithium battery bank of 100AH 24V (8 strings of 3.2v 100AH cells) and to use it with a 3KVA Hybrid inverter.

Having seen the inverter's control parameters, I'm curious as to what voltages to set for the Bulk Charge and Floating Charge, especially the floating charge voltage as LFP don't like staying 100% charged for long periods. There are several settings for equalisation which I have decided to leave at default.

Please I need inputs from experienced LFP users.

This has been discussed in the past: https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta/766#90572715
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:37pm On Feb 10, 2021
200Ah 12v brand new monbat battery is available, #160,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 10:20pm On Feb 10, 2021
ojeysky:

This has been discussed in the past: https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta/766#90572715

Thanks. I went back and read the old messages and got the parameters.

I set both bulk and float (since I can't disable this on SMK Hybrid) at 29.2v.

Still, the battery couldn't charge beyond 26.4v all day. The inverter reads 120v as minimum voltage, so I fed it 1x8 150W panels connected in 8s1p arrangement.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by quest4s: 11:03pm On Feb 10, 2021
Thanks Sir, your advise inspired me to ask a battery charger to read the batteries with his meter if they were still good and they are.
Am using them as we speak and they are working efficiently. i just changed the wires with poor cable logging and will replace my charge controller soon.
thanks once again i appreciate.

odimbannamdi:

My sincere empathies, bro.

But you didnt mention the battery brand, so that we can provide more informed responses.

Also, do you have an independent voltmeter connected to the battery with which you monitor the voltage of the battery at full capacity and after usage, just like the type in the pic below? I have realized that most the battery voltage indicated on inverters are usually higher than actual, hence the need for an independent one to get a more accurate reading.

Let us just be hopeful that your battery may be suffering from gross under-charging and it is not dead yet...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 11:43pm On Feb 10, 2021
omotoda:

1.My load is about 250 watts during g the day and about 350 watts at night

2.I am getting new sets of batteries.Existing batteries are weak already although they still serve well on sunny days because they are hooked to solar panels.

I would advise that you get quality batteries, just get a new set,

But better still check your current controller if you can add more panels to the exiting system, then change the battery alone.

You don’t need a new system, you may only need to upgrade your controller and batteries

Then you are fine , 2 batteries can run 350 load 24/7 with good power generation from your solar panels.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 11:50pm On Feb 10, 2021
unicmarket:

I would advise that you get quality batteries, just get a new set,

But better still check your current controller if you can add more panels to the exiting system, then change the battery alone.

You don’t need a new system, you may only need to upgrade your controller and batteries

Then you are fine , 2 batteries can run 350 load 24/7 with good power generation from your solar panels.

What’s the name and detail of your solar charge controller?
Let’s see if you can add more panels to it

If you can add another 2 panels to it, you are fine, so as to get extra charging, takes care of losses, and get max charging experience for your batteries.

Wasting money on a new seperate system is not ideal.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 6:57am On Feb 11, 2021
unicmarket:

What’s the name and detail of your solar charge controller?
Let’s see if you can add more panels to it

If you can add another 2 panels to it, you are fine, so as to get extra charging, takes care of losses, and get max charging experience for your batteries.

Wasting money on a new seperate system is not ideal.

The max PV WATTS of panel is 1440watts.I don't think the present set up can cope with my night demand as I do not like to discharge my batteries beyond 50%.Adding additional 2 units of 260watss will only ensue my battery is charged fully and in shirt time.Even if the batteries are fully charged till 6pm,it can't take me overnight without going beyong my 50% DOD
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 7:01am On Feb 11, 2021
kiekie1:
Penny wise-Pound foolish!

This is a bitter experience from a DIY enthusiast . We've seen several who claims to know but do not know !

We've also seen some who say a relative can install simply to avoid negotiable installation fee shocked

We're always open for your renewable energy needs as usual.

Contact,
Smartcellglobal
081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

I believe you have nothing against DIYers cos that's what your post potends; with subtle sneer for choice to "avoid negotiation fees".

Even the experienced installer doubles as a DIYer and at one point was vulnerable to all sorts of ridiculous mistakes before getting it right.

It's a different cup of tea as you stated if those who don't know claim to know cos that borders on not willing to learn, but every DIYer should be given a chance to self assert cos that's when the confidence grows.

I also don't deride those who opt for "relatives" or friends to do it for them in order to save some cost. What I simply ensure is to help them vet and audit the intended equipments vis-a-vis their energy needs and help them to see if they are headed for a sure and quick disappointment and also help them outline the proper requirement if they're willing to comply. At times, I even offer to supervise their so called "relative/friend installer" during the installation and that way they get to know the trouble they escaped as the poor efficiency of their choice of installer gets laid bare for them to see.

This client has of course learnt the hard way, but let's cut 'em a little slack. Going solar at any level of setup is a fairly financially demanding endeavour and fingers are not equal.

But that 24v inverter on 12v battery, na wa o. The guy no even try at all.

10 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 7:39am On Feb 11, 2021
omotoda:

The max PV WATTS of panel is 1440watts.I don't think the present set up can cope with my night demand as I do not like to discharge my batteries beyond 50%.Adding additional 2 units of 260watss will only ensue my battery is charged fully and in shirt time.Even if the batteries are fully charged till 6pm,it can't take me overnight without going beyong my 50% DOD

Am sorry even if you get a set of 2 new batteries you can only get around 6-8hours at night @50% dod.

Best option I have for you is to add panels and another charge controller and use the two controllers to charge your battery bank 4new batteries. Discard the old set.

With this you are sure of 12-16 hours night time backup @ 50% dod
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 7:41am On Feb 11, 2021
unicmarket:

Am sorry even if you get a set of 2 new batteries you can only get around 6-8hours at night @50% dod.

Best option I have for you is to add panels and another charge controller and use the two controllers to charge your battery bank 4new batteries. Discard the old set.

With this you are sure of 12-16 hours night time backup @ 50% dod

If it’s a 24 v system, you just parallel the sets
2S2P

I hope this helps
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by omotoda(m): 8:21am On Feb 11, 2021
unicmarket:

If it’s a 24 v system, you just parallel the sets
2S2P

I hope this helps

That is my Plan A
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 8:22am On Feb 11, 2021
I need a few 24V Victron phoenix (VE.direct models). Outright purchase or trade (I have 48V variants).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:27am On Feb 11, 2021
IYGEAL:

Thanks. I went back and read the old messages and got the parameters.

I set both bulk and float (since I can't disable this on SMK Hybrid) at 29.2v.

Still, the battery couldn't charge beyond 26.4v all day. The inverter reads 120v as minimum voltage, so I fed it 1x8 150W panels connected in 8s1p arrangement.

Bros 29.2v for LFP chemistry is too much, please go through that previous thread to see why. As to your voltage, was the battery still charging at 26.4v? If yes then no issues your panel capacity is not large and maybe the battery has depleted hence will take some time. However if it was not charging at 26.4 and you are certain the battery is not full, then you have cell imbalance issue
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 8:28am On Feb 11, 2021
omotoda:

That is my Plan A

great
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:00am On Feb 11, 2021
ceaser:

I believe you have nothing against DIYers cos that's what your post potends; with subtle sneer for choice to "avoid negotiation fees".

Even the experienced installer doubles as a DIYer and at one point was vulnerable to all sorts of ridiculous mistakes before getting it right.

It's a different cup of tea as you stated if those who don't know claim to know cos that borders on not willing to learn, but every DIYer should be given a chance to self assert cos that's when the confidence grows.

I also don't deride those who opt for "relatives" or friends to do it for them in order to save some cost. What I simply ensure is to help them vet and audit the intended equipments vis-a-vis their energy needs and help them to see if they are headed for a sure and quick disappointment and also help them outline the proper requirement if they're willing to comply. At times, I even offer to supervise their so called "relative/friend installer" during the installation and that way they get to know the trouble they escaped as the poor efficiency of their choice of installer gets laid bare for them to see.

This client has of course learnt the hard way, but let's cut 'em a little slack. Going solar at any level of setup is a fairly financially demanding endeavour and fingers are not equal.

But that 24v inverter on 12v battery, na wa o. The guy no even try at all.

Lol do not read negative meaning into my post as you started up initially tho ... I was neither attacking nor condemning ! DIY skills is global & allowed but just shared an experience I came across few days ago which you punched out at the end of your narrative (collateral damage) #Smiles

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:48am On Feb 11, 2021
kiekie1:
Fairly used cyberpower inverter up for sale

-Cyberpower 3.5kva 24v for sale
-Condition: works like new . 50a max adjustable charge current. Programmable LCD interface. Copper transformer based & a major load bearer for tough loads with 2.45kw (×3 surge power) for water pumps , air-conditioners etc.
-Clients reason for sale ...Upgrade to higher capacity
Flat rate price : 160k

Contact,
Smartcellglobal
081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

First come_First serve smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 11:48am On Feb 11, 2021
ojeysky:

Bros 29.2v for LFP chemistry is too much, please go through that previous thread to see why. As to your voltage, was the battery still charging at 26.4v? If yes then no issues your panel capacity is not large and maybe the battery has depleted hence will take some time. However if it was not charging at 26.4 and you are certain the battery is not full, then you have cell imbalance issue

Yea, I'm aware of the bolded. I did because I set it below that previously but it was still seemingly maxing at 26.4v. So I set it at 29.4v and stayed around to monitor it so that I can stop charging when full, but it was still the same.

Also, while discharging, it discharges gradually from 26.4v but rapidly from around 25.4v to cut off at 23.7 (as I set it).

Cell imbalance may be the issue but I also suspect the internal CC of the inverter. I got this Bank from a reliable source, a DIYer and he has it arranged with the BMS. I'm still starting this lithium journey but my arrangements are giving me serious headache.

At 26.4v, it appears to charge but no significant increase is witnessed. It can go 26.5 to 26.7 and back to 26.4v on no load.

Do you suppose 150W x 8 is not enough to charge the 100AH 24V Bank?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 11:58am On Feb 11, 2021
Please how do I use this DC iron without connecting it directly on my inverter battery?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 12:01pm On Feb 11, 2021
Is it possible to connect it to a regular plug like the below so that I can connect it to a socket when ironing?

Cc: ojeysky, ceaser and others . Thanks in anticipation

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 12:21pm On Feb 11, 2021
anjilgreat:
Is it possible to connect it to a regular plug like the below so that I can connect it to a socket when ironing?

dont try it, this is strictly a 12V DC pressing iron. it must be connected to a 12V DC source. the only way it can work on your normal socket is to look for a 12V 220V adapter with at least 20A.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:41pm On Feb 11, 2021
IYGEAL:

Yea, I'm aware of the bolded. I did because I set it below that previously but it was still seemingly maxing at 26.4v. So I set it at 29.4v and stayed around to monitor it so that I can stop charging when full, but it was still the same.

Also, while discharging, it discharges gradually from 26.4v but rapidly from around 25.4v to cut off at 23.7 (as I set it).

That's normal behaviour of lithium it has a fairly stable charge/discharge curve between 90 and 20% capacity.

Cell imbalance may be the issue but I also suspect the internal CC of the inverter. I got this Bank from a reliable source, a DIYer and he has it arranged with the BMS. I'm still starting this lithium journey but my arrangements are giving me serious headache.

Arrangements of LFP is the easiest thing just the normal series/parallel setup. Yes the DIYer may be good but the cells may have gone out of balance. However see below

At 26.4v, it appears to charge but no significant increase is witnessed. It can go 26.5 to 26.7 and back to 26.4v on no load.

For it to be going up and then back down it's a reaction from the BMS when one of the cells hits the high cutoff voltage, it triggers the BMS to stop charging for that cell voltage to come back down and then charging starts again. The circle continue like that.
What I can suggest is that when the BMS trips and stop charging disconnect charging source and then try to do a capacity test to see how much juice you get out of your battery. If it's at least 90AH then you have no balance issue. The cells were just full

Do you suppose 150W x 8 is not enough to charge the 100AH 24V Bank?

It all depends on how fast you need it to get fully charged at 20A charge rate approximately 5hrs charge is required from low to full. Your array size is 50A but assuming it's well positioned and only dedicated to the battery then it should be able to push in an average of 20A into the battery within 5hrs a day (10 to 3pm).
Take note of the assumptions though.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anjilgreat(f): 12:45pm On Feb 11, 2021
Valto:
dont try it, this is strictly a 12V DC pressing iron. it must be connected to a 12V DC source. the only way it can work on your normal socket is to look for a 12V 220V adapter with at least 20A.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm grateful!

Though, I was never going to use it directly.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:46pm On Feb 11, 2021
anjilgreat:

I guess valto has said it all. Your home socket is AC voltage and current while the iron expects DC voltage/current. That plug is rated for 13A yet it's likely your iron will require more than a 13A DC current. In short if you love that iron no try ham o, the smoke will shock you cheesy

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (940) (941) (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) ... (1688) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: anjilgreat(f), Scientheosopher(m), Debroslink and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.