Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,371 members, 7,829,948 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (953) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2090001 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (950) (951) (952) (953) (954) (955) (956) ... (1708) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:53am On Feb 25, 2021
60A 12/48v pwm charge controller still available, #20,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JustCryptos: 9:46am On Feb 25, 2021
Ps. This will be a long read. Biko helpe.

Good morning to all the gurus in the house. Please I have some questions and need some help. I'd really appreciate some answers. My case is peculiar grin

I am still in the process of building my house, with plans of moving in in the next 4 months. We are almost at the electrical wiring phase.

Here's the major constraint regarding the site.
1. NEPA light is yet to get there. There is power supply on other streets but not on mine yet.

2. The location is still largely inhabited. There are only 5 families on the street with a lot of bush around.

That being said, I'd be relying fully on solar and gen to power my appliances.
There has also been no recent incident of crime, but security is my priority.

Here's what I have in mind that needs some vetting.

1. During the piping, I asked the electrician to split the load. I purchased two DBs and requested that all lighting (internal and external) be sent to one box, while the second is left to carry other loads.

My reason for this is because, I don't want my lights (especially external) to go off at night even if the house is not powered. Overall, I estimate that lighting may consume 150 watts and run for about 11 hours.

Is this a good setup to adopt?

To this effect, I already purchase 6 used 200 watts panels from Oga valto. I already have a 1kva mercury inverter setup. However, I'll be disposing my current batteries for 2 200ah batteries to support my lighting needs.

What else do I need to add to this setup to make it functional?

For the internal load, priority is one freezers (make my madam no kill me). Other things like TVs and fans come in once in a while.

I am estimating about 700 watts for the entire freezing load, expected to run for 8 hours daily. Once in a while a 1000 watts iron may come up or a 1hp pumping machine.

Other loads such as TVs and fans come up to about 300 watts and should run for about 5 hours daily.

Can someone please help with a breakdown of what I need to achieve this? Let me start saving. I am not also looking to get everything done at once. I can upgrade in the future.

Cc NiyiOmoIyunade ojeysky mcTrinity earthrealm ceaser iygeal

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 5:49pm On Feb 25, 2021
JustCryptos:
Ps. This will be a long read. Biko helpe.

Good morning to all the gurus in the house. Please I have some questions and need some help. I'd really appreciate some answers. My case is peculiar grin

I am still in the process of building my house, with plans of moving in in the next 4 months. We are almost at the electrical wiring phase.

Here's the major constraint regarding the site.
1. NEPA light is yet to get there. There is power supply on other streets but not on mine yet.

2. The location is still largely inhabited. There are only 5 families on the street with a lot of bush around.

That being said, I'd be relying fully on solar and gen to power my appliances.
There has also been no recent incident of crime, but security is my priority.

Here's what I have in mind that needs some vetting.

1. During the piping, I asked the electrician to split the load. I purchased two DBs and requested that all lighting (internal and external) be sent to one box, while the second is left to carry other loads.

My reason for this is because, I don't want my lights (especially external) to go off at night even if the house is not powered. Overall, I estimate that lighting may consume 150 watts and run for about 11 hours.

Is this a good setup to adopt?

To this effect, I already purchase 6 used 200 watts panels from Oga valto. I already have a 1kva mercury inverter setup. However, I'll be disposing my current batteries for 2 200ah batteries to support my lighting needs.

What else do I need to add to this setup to make it functional?

For the internal load, priority is one freezers (make my madam no kill me). Other things like TVs and fans come in once in a while.

I am estimating about 700 watts for the entire freezing load, expected to run for 8 hours daily. Once in a while a 1000 watts iron may come up or a 1hp pumping machine.

Other loads such as TVs and fans come up to about 300 watts and should run for about 5 hours daily.

Can someone please help with a breakdown of what I need to achieve this? Let me start saving. I am not also looking to get everything done at once. I can upgrade in the future.

Cc NiyiOmoIyunade ojeysky mcTrinity earthrealm ceaser iygeal

Can you go 48v, and how dip do u want to go pocket wise?

Iron, water pumps, the freezer can be powered during the day.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 6:04pm On Feb 25, 2021
Valto:
get a growatts and reconfigure your panels to 4s2p

What is the price for the growatt?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:10pm On Feb 25, 2021
NiyiOmoIyunade:
My Oga. Finally we have your confession grin grin grin

A battery disconnect due to BMS HVD limit reached should not kill an inverter.

There are many scenarios where inverter could be doing heavy work and the DC side disconnects due to low battery, DC breaker trip due to overload e.t.c The inverter should recover from these gracefully.

I know the tolerances on the internals for these Axpert types are relatively poor although they keep making improvements - a capable person can also perform hardware upgrades - beefier capacitors, changing the fan e.t.c

I've had this scenario (LVD) kill an inverter before. Attached is a picture of the inverter. Inverter screen went blank and unresponsive. It was quite strange that a battery disconnect by a BMS should kill an inverter but here we are.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:20pm On Feb 25, 2021
ojeysky:
I have got 2 brand new BMV 712 with temp sensor for grabs. 125k each

Q/A
Is this the victron BMV 712 with Bluetooth features?
Yes
Is the price negotiable?
No price is firm Sir/Ma
Does the price include shipping?
No it doesn't, but I can waybill to any part of the country at buyer's cost.

Still available
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 6:42pm On Feb 25, 2021
mctfopt:

I've had this scenario (LVD) kill an inverter before. Attached is a picture of the inverter. Inverter screen went blank and unresponsive. It was quite strange that a battery disconnect by a BMS should kill an inverter but here we are.
the batteryless function on my smksolar and sorotec is good. my bms has tripped on few occasions and nothing happened. i only reactivated the bms and it started working again

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 6:46pm On Feb 25, 2021
lexi28:

What is the price for the growatt?
kiekie1 quoted 240k

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:07pm On Feb 25, 2021
Valto:

the batteryless function on my smksolar and sorotec is good. my bms has tripped on few occasions and nothing happened. i only reactivated the bms and it started working again

That batteryless function rocks. I think more inverters should incorporate that feature.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 10:51pm On Feb 25, 2021
mctfopt:

That batteryless function rocks. I think more inverters should incorporate that feature.

My concern about the batteryless function is the high VOC it requires. One will need to rearrange the panels.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 5:30am On Feb 26, 2021
adrusa:

My concern about the batteryless function is the high VOC it requires. One will need to rearrange the panels.

That's another issue one has to arrange in that situation.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JustCryptos: 7:03am On Feb 26, 2021
Oshomo12:

Can you go 48v, and how dip do u want to go pocket wise?

Iron, water pumps, the freezer can be powered during the day.

Pocket wise, I am on a tight budget for now. I have plans to upgrade with time. I want to settle for a 24v system for now.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:42am On Feb 26, 2021
This is still the typical Axpert hybrid form factor. Probably thesame internals so not surprising that they suffer thesame ills.

mctfopt:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:46am On Feb 26, 2021
Essentially the so called batteryless function is borrowing an idea from PV inverters such as Fronius - direct DC to AC conversion which is perfect for day time run of moderate to large loads provided you have sufficient PV capacity.

Let us not forget the reason we need a battery buffer!

adrusa:

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cluewebhost(m): 11:59am On Feb 26, 2021
I've been going through this thread and I'm confused.

What sort of setup would I need (solar) to power this AC?

I only need it on for 6 hours when I'm asleep

It shows 940W and 4A.

The rest of my load is negligible I use 2 - 2.5Kwh a day for 12 Hours of grid power - Refrigerator, Computers etc.

How many panels would be sufficient?
How many batteries + capacity?
I assume a Hybrid inverter would work but would 3Kw be okay?

Is there anything else I should know?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 12:57pm On Feb 26, 2021
cluewebhost:

It shows 940W and 4A.

The rest of my load is negligible I use 2 - 2.5Kwh a day for 12 Hours of grid power - Refrigerator, Computers etc.

Yes,
Those rest loads are not negligible.

To power that 900+ watt on batteries for 6hr "off grid"....
Firstly, can you keep around 3million naira somewhere for this project? Before we start to analyse.

Sorry if this is too direct.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cluewebhost(m): 1:12pm On Feb 26, 2021
I was ready before I asked.

Oshomo12:

Yes,
Those rest loads are not negligible.

To power that 900+ watt on batteries for 6hr "off grid"....
Firstly, can you keep around 3million naira somewhere for this project? Before we start to analyse.

Sorry if this is too direct.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 1:24pm On Feb 26, 2021
cluewebhost:
I was ready before I asked.

Ok, beautiful!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 1:27pm On Feb 26, 2021
cluewebhost:

It shows 940W and 4A.

If I get you correctly, this are day time loads, ie during the day, right?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cluewebhost(m): 2:58pm On Feb 26, 2021
Oshomo12:

If I get you correctly, this are day time loads, ie during the day, right?

Yes o,

Within the day.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 3:36pm On Feb 26, 2021
JustCryptos:

Pocket wise, I am on a tight budget for now. I have plans to upgrade with time. I want to settle for a 24v system for now.

i recommend lifepo4 batts, they would power these loads easily, without stress, 24v 560ah. to run lead acid batts on them, i would recommend the 2v 500ah. using 12v 200ah will entail several parallel strings of 24v
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 4:04pm On Feb 26, 2021
Guys, please can a 1.5kva 12v inverter with 100ah battery power a refrigerator rated at 1.1amps 220v. That should be about 242W from my calculation. The fridge will be used mostly at noon and battery will be supported by two 150w (300w) panels.

I'm wondering if the inverter can handle the surge. (don't know how high the consumption can go during surge)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 5:32pm On Feb 26, 2021
Saipro:
- open-box Victron Quattro 48/5000/70 (5kVA 48VDC) - ₦780,000

- Victron BlueSolar MPPT 150/60 - ₦250,000

- Victron BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 - ₦280,000

- Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/60 - ₦270,000

- Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/70 - ₦300,000

- Victron VE.Direct 375VA 48VDC inverter (ultra low idle consumption but without charger) - ₦60,000

- Fangpusun display (for inverters and chargers) - ₦20,000

- Midnite SPD 300V ACM surge protector - ₦80,000

- Midnite SPD 300V AC surge protector - ₦50,000

- Midnite SPD 300V DC surge protector - ₦50,000

- Midnite SPD 600V DC surge protector - ₦60,000

- Midnite MNPV8HV-DISCO 4X disconnect/combiner box - ₦360,000

- MC4 connectors

- MC4 splitters/combiners

- Midnite 250 Classic KS

WhatsApp/Call O8O239O23O5
Available
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 7:21pm On Feb 26, 2021
eleojo23:
Guys, please can a 1.5kva 12v inverter with 100ah battery power a refrigerator rated at 1.1amps 220v. That should be about 242W from my calculation. The fridge will be used mostly at noon and battery will be supported by two 150w (300w) panels.

I'm wondering if the inverter can handle the surge. (don't know how high the consumption can go during surge)
normal refrigerator surge is around 800 to 900w, so it can handle it, but increase panels to 450 or 600w.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:17pm On Feb 26, 2021
220Ah Suc-cam tubular battery now available with 36 months warranty, #108,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 8:54pm On Feb 26, 2021
justcallmenuel:
220Ah Suc-cam tubular battery now available with 36 months warranty, #108,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Warranty in Nigeria is hardly ever honoured. But it'll be nice if they'll honour a year warranty. A seller with one year warranty started telling another story when batteries bought in June failed in December (I always wonder the number of cycles these type of batteries have cry )

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 9:16pm On Feb 26, 2021
Valto:
normal refrigerator surge is around 800 to 900w, so it can handle it, but increase panels to 450 or 600w.

Okay, thanks.

What do you think about these pure sine wave inverters sold on AliExpress? I am thinking of getting one rated 2000w (4000w peak) solely for this purpose. I have a 600w PSW inverter from Ali but never used it for inductive loads.

The reason I want to get from AliExpress is because of the low idle/running consumption of those inverters compared to the ones we find around locally since the battery capacity is going to be just 100ah. I want to avoid energy wastage even though there will be solar panels

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Monlo(m): 9:29pm On Feb 26, 2021
eleojo23:

Okay, thanks.

What do you think about these pure sine wave inverters sold on AliExpress? I am thinking of getting one rated 2000w (4000w peak) solely for this purpose. I have a 600w PSW inverter from Ali but never used it for inductive loads.

The reason I want to get from AliExpress is because of the low idle/running consumption of those inverters compared to the ones we find around locally since the battery capacity is going to be just 100ah. I want to avoid energy wastage even though there will be solar panels

My brother,you would not regret it if you did.Currently using one for almost a year now rated 4000w @ peak.I use it for my deep freezer,electronics,lights etc.It is a monster ,weighs less than 10kg and far better than the two previous inverters from India that I used whose idle consumption is killing......
Mind you,it is noiseless while @ work....
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 9:39pm On Feb 26, 2021
Monlo:

My brother,you would not regret it if you did.Currently using one for almost a year now rated 4000w @ peak.I use it for my deep freezer,electronics,lights etc.It is a monster ,weighs less than 10kg and far better than the two previous inverters from India that I used whose idle consumption is killing......
Mind you,it is noiseless while @ work....

Please can you snap and post a picture of the inverter?
Or direct me to the AliExpress page or take screenshots of the page to be on a safe side since the antispam robot on this section can be overactive.
Thank you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 9:42pm On Feb 26, 2021
eleojo23:

Okay, thanks.

beware! most them are modified sine wave. considering the 2-3months wait, why not purchase in naija.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 9:49pm On Feb 26, 2021
Valto:
beware! most them are modified sine wave. considering the 2-3months wait, why not purchase in naija.

The naija ones consume alot on their own going by people's reviews/experiences. The waiting time won't be up to 2 months from my recent shopping experience.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 9:54pm On Feb 26, 2021
eleojo23:

The naija ones consume alot on their own going by people's reviews/experiences. The waiting time won't be up to 2 months from my recent shopping experience.
someone posted this on a thread and insist it consumes about 7w idle current. u may want to try it out. its readily available in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (950) (951) (952) (953) (954) (955) (956) ... (1708) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: ebrymDIY, Sapiosexuality(m), jameslojohn(m), rodgers, abbey086(m), Polaris1 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.