Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,459 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? (37723 Views)

How Did You Overcome Your Tooth Problem? / How Did You Feel When You Went For Your Last HIV Test? / Brave Chinese Woman Walks Into A Hospital Holding Snake That Bit Her(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Sammyramires(m): 11:28am On Jul 07, 2017
Heraclitus of Ephesus (c. 500 BCE) was known to his contemporaries as the 'dark’ philosopher, so-called because his writings were so difficult to understand. Seeming to hold the common understanding of the nature of life and the purpose of human life in contempt (as, in fact, he seemed to hold most, if not all, the human beings he came in contact with).

However, following in the traditions of the earlier Pre-Socratic philosophers, Heraclitus of Ephesus expounded a physical theory of matter and the physical world much along the lines of Thales, Anaximander and Anaximenes, but took the ideas further in his famous assertion that “Life is Flux” (Panta Rhei in Greek, meaning everything or all things change).

If one understands that change is the only constant thing in life then one will more easily recognise what Heraclitus is saying in his 'obscure' writings when he claims such things as, “The way up and the way down are one and the same. Living and dead, waking and sleeping, young and old, are the same. These things are the same in that they are all subject to change, arise from one change to vanish into another change.

Meanwhile, Heraclitus popular quote of "The only thing that Is constant Is change", better summed up the latest habits of Nigerians who has found a solace in smoking Goza, Narghile, Hookah or Shisha as the name may appear.

According to research, there is a daily increase in number of people smoking shisha in Nigeria than any other African country. As a matter of fact, more people are dumping cigarette smoking for Shisha with most believing that Shisha puffing does not attract the same risk as cigarette does.

However, Shisha pipes use tobacco sweetened with fruit or molasses sugar, which makes the smoke more aromatic than cigarette smoke. Popular flavourings include apple, plum, coconut, mango, mint, strawberry and cola. Wood, coal, or charcoal is burned in the shisha pipe to heat the tobacco and create the smoke because the fruit syrup or sugar makes the tobacco damp.

Aside the contents that seems sweet before ears, Shisha puffing remains a deadly practice that needs to be curtailed if possible.

It is shameful to say the least in our country today, when a Five year old boy/kid is seeing holding the pipe, puffing and inhaling what Shisha produces after a snuff.

If care is not taken, we might witness a situation where a 7 day old baby will adopt the habit of puffing Shisha in place of breast milk.

Looking at this obvious anomaly as a neutral, one would agree that the country and her citizenry of different age are gradually turning to "A generation of Pipe Holding", but the question is:

How Did We Get Here?

Written By Sammyramires✍�

12 Likes

Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Nobody: 11:35am On Aug 06, 2017
Different strokes for different folks, every smoker is aware of the consequences so I dnt see d fuss about it

After waiting patiently for 6 years God has finally made me FTC.. I dedicate this to the almighty God and my family and friends

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Nobody: 11:35am On Aug 06, 2017
You should understand that every generation becomes slightly worse than the preceding one -- that's a fact of life. The older generation would always be more conservative, or if you will, more moral than the current one. Every generation makes it's rules of engagement.

It would seem that this generation has seen nothing wrong in women smoking or consuming drugs.

Back in the day, women were not very keen on smoking, but with the advent of feminism, more rights for women, that has changed. Even sociologists claim that men and women are the same. my point is: If men are smoking, women will smoke too.

What we should be condemning is any of the sexes smoking at all, not acting shocked that women are smoking as well.

Look, in Nigeria of today, there's a looming drug epidemic among young people. The rate of drug usage if you ask me is even more with women than men. You need to take a visit around some neighborhoods in Lagos. Both men and women consume a long list of substances all over the place.

Then go to the clubs, the smoke-parlours, beer-parlours etc. You will find a good number of women amongst the men.

Women are much more better at hiding their drug habits than men.

===================================================================

I know you're obviously pained by what you see. Perhaps, you have discounted people who smoke as sinners and moral reprobates who have no respect for society and their bodies. Maybe, you even hate smokers, and you are one of those people who act disgusted when a smoker is in the space same as they are. Let me tell you something -- no smoking does not make one bad, it doesn't make one a sinner, but it does hint about the choices of the user.

Just get a life and stop being all philosophical about things that do not concern you. I have a list of pressing problems in Nigeria that we can deliberate on from a philosophical standpoint. I can keep you busy. Just let me know when you want to get started.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by sukkot: 11:35am On Aug 06, 2017
hmm
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by designking: 11:35am On Aug 06, 2017
Na so
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by badman007(m): 11:35am On Aug 06, 2017
Ftc
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Jcob(m): 11:35am On Aug 06, 2017
Lol
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by amnwa(m): 11:35am On Aug 06, 2017
F
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by lolaxavier(m): 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
I don't just get it. Smoking is a habit of choice. You do not smoke does not make you a better human. As long as it is not detrimental to your existence, kindly mind your business. Step out of your myopic comfort zone and try to see beyond criticism and self-righteousness. LIVE AND LET LIVE

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
cheesy cheesy
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by luuvlly: 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
God will help our lives
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Phaanie(f): 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
White people wanna be that how
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Akshow: 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
If people wanna smoke let them smoke. It's their health , their money and their life. Is it ur smoking? That's the problem with Nigeria. We leave the log in our own eyes and worry about the peck in someone else's eye.

30 Likes

Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Irksome: 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
Meaning?
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by cutesimplycalm(f): 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
Evolution
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by dandydrey(m): 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
shisha dey shark?
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by ukehnonny: 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
shocked
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Israeljones(m): 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
The only thing wrong here is the kid

5 Likes

Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by JaffyJoe(m): 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
Whew, philosophy101.
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by roland2rule(m): 11:36am On Aug 06, 2017
All am seeing is Advance SANGO

4 Likes

Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by elchymo: 11:37am On Aug 06, 2017
Such a wasted generation we now have. angry angry

6 Likes

Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Agimor(m): 11:37am On Aug 06, 2017
Part of societal influence. Parents has a lot to play in curbing this epidemic that is ruining the of all these 21st century youths and teenagers.

3 Likes

Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Valfrankie(m): 11:37am On Aug 06, 2017
Whose kid is that? Those bitches smoke worse than a broken train, good thing I'm not an advocate of marriage, I would have feared for their homes. If you are gonna smoke, by all means make it 4:20 or quit, live healthy, be natural, seek wisdom!!! Only sons of the gods understand the importance of the dial code 4:20, not just another digit, it's a covenant! undecided

8 Likes

Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by francisunderwoo: 11:37am On Aug 06, 2017
HOW DID WE GET HERE Indeed!
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by favourmic(m): 11:37am On Aug 06, 2017
How about the dressing and other stupid behavior

14 Likes

Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 06, 2017
Ok
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Young03(m): 11:37am On Aug 06, 2017
ok
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Micheezy7(m): 11:37am On Aug 06, 2017
J
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 06, 2017
francisunderwoo:
HOW DID WE GET HERE Indeed!
Re: Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? by shepherd003: 11:37am On Aug 06, 2017
when you have no wind in your sail

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How I Successfully Quit Tramadol, U Too Can Do Same / Benefits Of Sleeping For Eight Hours Every Day / I Have This Rare Disease 'Mucha Habermann', Please Help - PIX

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.