Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible (19131 Views)

TB Joshua: I Belong To ALL Political Parties / Buhari Is Victimizing Those That Don't Belong To His Religious Group - CAN Youth / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 9:58am On Nov 02, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
Reasons why the apocrypha does not belong in the Bible

Jesus, the apostles, the Jews and the early church all rejected the books in the Apocrypha as being inspired books on the same level of scripture.

https://carm.org/reasons-why-apocrypha-does-not-belong-bible

Ethiopian Canon has 81 books , why does the vatican canon have 66 books?

Could it be because Africa is the foundation and root of the Christian Faith and inevitably have more resources on the subject matter?

Hmmm cool

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:16am On Nov 02, 2017
Tampinu:

Could it be because Africa is the foundation and root of the Christian Faith and inevitably have more resources on the subject matter?

Hmmm cool

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book" (Revelation 22:18-19).

The vatican canon has 73 books not 66. There is a curse to those adding or subtracting from the Word of God. Don't bring yourself under the curse of God.

1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:26am On Nov 02, 2017
easymancfc:

Hide my face in shame.. LOL..You're a funny person.. You are just hanging on to straws after your argument fails.. Whether or not Jesus or the apostles quoted from the deuterocanon will only be important if it is a reason for Belonging to the the O.T canon.. Which it is not...
NO WERE DOES IT STATE, IN THE BIBLE OR OTHERWISE THAT JESUS OR HIS APOSTLES MUST QUOTE A BOOK FOR IT TO BE SCRIPTURE...
that is a presumption you hold that is wrong.. Because..
1. I have shown you books that were quoted by Jude (1:9) as in the case of the Assumption of Moses and Hebrews (11:37) was taken directly from the Ascension of Isaiah.. If according to you.. QUOTATION EQUALS CANONICITY then these two books should be part of your old testament...
2. I have also showed you that many other old testament books are not quoted or even alluded to by Jesus or the apostles....If according to you.. QUOTATION EQUALS CANONICITY then these books should not be part of your old testament... Song of Songs, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Obadiah, Zephaniah, Judges, 1 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Lamentations and Nahum. Not one of these Old Testament books is ever quoted or alluded to by Christ or the Apostles in the New Testament.

so I am not accusing you of anything I am only pointing out the inconsistencies in your argument.. If you think that means you're lying then that's your problem

I can now say that you have little or no integrity since you denied saying what you said. I can accept you forgetting you made the quote but for you to still deny after I quoted what you posted means you are not a man of integrity. angry
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 11:02am On Nov 02, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book" (Revelation 22:18-19).

The vatican canon has 73 books not 66. There is a curse to those adding or subtracting from the Word of God. Don't bring yourself under the curse of God.

I see. Sorry, I meant to type "normal Bible canon" and not "Vatican canon".

I see you mentioned Revelation; So how comes you did not mention or refer to Revelation 21:3 Orr Revelation 22:4? shocked

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 11:22am On Nov 02, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Ethiopia was before the Vatican, so go and tell the Vatican that they will suffer the curse you quoted above, for removing from the Complete Ethiopian texts and reducing the Christian teachings. grin

Or are you saying that "Ethiopia which has existed from Page one of the Bible is responsible for wrongly adding to the accepted texts"? shocked

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 3:58pm On Nov 03, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

I can now say that you have little or no integrity since you denied saying what you said. I can accept you forgetting you made the quote but for you to still deny after I quoted what you posted means you are not a man of integrity. angry

My dear, if that makes you feel better then enjoy.. I did not deny anything.. I see you're hanging on to a strawman instead of focusing on the real issue...
Like I have pointed out.. My admitting to your point on the quote will only be important ONLY if QUOTATION EQUALS CANONICITY which is a fallacy..
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 4:26pm On Nov 03, 2017
Olaadegbu and Tampinu..

Revelation 22:18 talks about the book of Revelation only not The whole bible.. that's what you get for reading the bible out of context...
Revelation 22:18For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the PROPHECY of THIS BOOK,

the book Jesus told John to write on the prophecies he would Show him...

Revelation 1:1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 2who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. 3Blessedis he that readeth, and they that hear the words of THIS PROPHECY, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

revelation1:11saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, WRITE IN A BOOK, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

So the book revelation 22:18 is talking about is the book of Revelation..

Mathew was not part of the prophecy.. neither was Luke or John or Galatians etc.. but they were ADDED TO revelation to form the new testament...

INCASE YOU DONT KNOW THERE'S A SIMILAR COMMAND IN Deuteronomy 4:2

deut 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

BUT AFTER THIS, THE OTHER OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS WERE ADDED TO THE TORAH (Joshua, Judges, Isaiah etc) not to mention the new testament..

So You can't threaten the Church that compiled the bible with your out of context interpretation of it..

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 4:35pm On Nov 03, 2017
Tampinu:

Hmmm cool

I think you and I are over the Ethiopia cradle of Christianity argument..

Ethiopia doesn't have more resources than the Vatican.. the Catholic Church calls the 73 books Scriptures but has all those books Ethiopia has..

here's a question for you..
if Ethiopia's canon was superior or was there before the catholic Church removed from it.. Why did it not define the canon of the scripture before the catholic church did
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by alvin000(m): 5:58pm On Nov 03, 2017
What the Church doesn't want you to know.

Up until the First Council of Nicaea, the Roman aristocracy primarily worshipped two Greek gods -Apollo and Zeus- but the great bulk of common people idolized either Julius Caesar or Mithras (the Romanized version of the Persian deity Mithra ).
Caesar was deified by the Roman Senate after his death (15 March 44 BC) and subsequently venerated as "the Divine Julius".
The word "Savior" was affixed to his name, its literal meaning being "one who sows the seed", i.e., he was a phallic god.
Julius Caesar was hailed as, " God made manifest and universal Savior of human life", and his successor Augustus was called the "ancestral God and Savior of the whole human race"
(Man and his Gods, Homer Smith, Little, Brown & Co., Boston, 1952).

Emperor Nero (54-68), whose original name was Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus (37-68), was immortalized on his coins as the "Savior of mankind" (ibid.).
The Divine Julius as Roman Savior and "Father of the Empire" was considered "God" among the Roman rabble for more than 300 years. He was the deity in some Western presbyters' texts, but was not recognized in Eastern or Oriental writings.

Constantine's intention at Nicaea was to create an entirely new god for his empire who would unite all religious factions under one deity. Presbyters were asked to debate and decide who their new god would be. Delegates argued among themselves, expressing personal motives for inclusion of particular writings that promoted the finer traits of their own special deity.

Throughout the meeting, howling factions were immersed in heated debates, and the names of 53 gods were tabled for discussion.
"As yet, no God had been selected by the council, and so they balloted in order to determine that matter... For one year and five months the balloting lasted..."
(God's Book of Eskra, Prof. S. L. MacGuire's translation, Salisbury, 1922, chapter xlviii, paragraphs 36, 41).

At the end of that time, Constantine returned to the gathering to discover that the presbyters had not agreed on a new deity but had balloted down to a shortlist of five prospects :
i. Caesar
ii. Krishna
iii. Mithra
iv. Horus
v. Zeus
(Historia Ecclesiastica, Eusebius, c. 325).

Constantine was the ruling spirit at Nicaea and he ultimately decided upon a new god for them. To involve British factions, he ruled that the name of the great Druid god, Hesus , be joined with the Eastern Savior-god, Krishna ( Krishna is Sanskrit for
Christ ), and thus Hesus Krishna would be the official name of the new Roman god.

A vote was taken and it was with a majority show of hands (161 votes to 157) that both divinities became one God . Following longstanding heathen custom, Constantine used the official gathering and the Roman apotheosis decree to legally deify two deities as one, and did so by democratic consent. A new god was proclaimed and "officially" ratified by Constantine ( Acta Concilii Nicaeni, 1618).

That purely political act of deification effectively and legally placed Hesus and Krishna among the Roman gods as one individual composite.

That abstraction lent Earthly existence to amalgamated doctrines for the Empire's new religion; and because there was no letter "J" in alphabets until around the ninth century, the name subsequently evolved into " Jesus Christ".

WHO WAS THIS? This was Chrishna (Krishna) of India, who according to tradition was crucified approximately 1200 B.C. Incidentally, he had a “virgin” birth, either by a hair of the Hindu God Vishnu entering his mother’s womb, or in another version of the myth, God Vishnu himself entering her womb.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 7:33pm On Nov 03, 2017
easymancfc:

I think you and I are over the Ethiopia cradle of Christianity argument..

Ethiopia doesn't have more resources than the Vatican.. the Catholic Church calls the 73 books Scriptures but has all those books Ethiopia has..

here's a question for you..
if Ethiopia's canon was superior or was there before the catholic Church removed from it.. Why did it not define the canon of the scripture before the catholic church did

Thanks.

If we are done with the argument , then there's no need for thee to ask any further questions of me, especially concerning the subject matter.

For you cannot eat your cake and have it, not even if you worked in a bakery! wink

Peace grin

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 8:33pm On Nov 03, 2017
easymancfc:
Olaadegbu and Tampinu..

Revelation 22:18 talks about the book of Revelation only not The whole bible.. that's what you get for reading the bible out of context...
Revelation 22:18For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the PROPHECY of THIS BOOK,

Revelation 1:1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 2who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. 3Blessedis he that readeth, and they that hear the words of THIS PROPHECY, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

revelation1:11saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, WRITE IN A BOOK, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Mathew was part of the prophecy.. neither was Luke or John or Galatians etc.. but they were ADDED TO revelation to form the new testament...

deut 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

BUT AFTER THIS, THE OTHER OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS WERE ADDED TO THE TORAH (Joshua, Judges, Isaiah etc) not to mention the new testament..

So You can't threaten the Church that compiled the bible with your out of context interpretation of it..

Thanks.

If we are done with the argument , then there's no need for thee to ask any further questions of me, especially concerning the subject matter.

For you cannot eat your cake and have it, not even if you worked in a bakery! wink

Peace grin

Further to my comment to your previous reply (copied and pasted above); I assure thee that I will not mention your name in my posts or replies where Biblical matters are concerned, and I trust that you will also politely eschew mentioning my name in your posts on Nairaland.

With thanks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfeIfiiBTfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja9So3e1w5A

Sizzla Lyrics- "Whether Or Not"

"Whether Or Not"

Yea burn away the anger and the fury, oy
Hail king Selassie I, his praise and glory

[CHORUS:]
Whether or not, yo from them dis king Selassie I
Babylon goin' collapse
Whether or not, ey from yuh dis Emmanuel
Babylon me know yuh heart goin' stop
Whether or not, yo from yuh dis the Black woman
Me know yuh glory it goin' drop
Whether or not, from yuh nah love Rastafari
That means say yuh doh love the Black

Ey first of all that the woman mek me dey yah
Black culture me talk that me deh say ah
Dis Rastafari ah who dem a refer
Bun John pope and the things whey dem a prefer
Ey first of all a Black woman mek I dey yah
Curruption dem a talk we nah love whey dem ah say yah
Them dis King Selassie ey ah who you dey refer
Come fi bun you out a Babylon things you prefer
Ey live by the word what you speak
'cuz nowadays ghetto youths start see it
Find out, you go bow to the beast
In Mount Zion curruption cyar sweet
Cyar dis the Black woman nor the high priest
Cyar dis the profit with the vision inna the street
Cyar dis the king inna tabanackle a teach
Make the youths them love them one another, ah tell you it
Stop bus the gun stop war stop flinch
No apology or else we kick out your teeth
Find out nuff ah them waa cheat
True Rastaman ah pray pon the mountain peak
Fi protect and care fi the poor and the meek
Doh dis the order, wake up on the east
'cuz poor people gone Babylon waan thief
poor people farm Babylon waan reep
Them nah give the ghetto youth one thing fi eat
So nah bother dis the Rastafari ey nah bother do it
Babylon ah kill the ghetto youth inna the street
Mi say fi rise and live bongo nah go repeat
Repatriation I nah go retreat,
Babylon, gonna sink yuh inna the deep
First of all ah the woman mek me dey ya
Black culture we talk only that we gotta say yah
Ey yuh dis Rastafari ah who yuh dey refer
Find out a Vattican ways dem you prefer
Ey first of all ah the woman mek me dey ya
Bun John Paul Rastafari me prefer
Hail King Selassie Babylon ah get defer
Ey they musbe check say dat them clever
Check them meditation and hear them words
They never did ah look much less fi observe
Dem never did ah listen so dem never heard
Dem dis the Messiah and waan go dis the Sheperd
How come you alone waan __ the earth
From Mount Zion I ah life Rasta preserve
Babylon don't go round no curve
Through we treat a situation pagan waan go swerve
More me bun the fire more the people get hurt
Some boy jus through the money them utter any word
Just we full the belly jus we full the purse
Babylon you silly Babylon you curse
See say that the wicked man can't surf
Righteousness, the ghetto youths dem merge
Babylon must bow and kiss the dirt
Dem nah love Rastaman, much less we work
The west minister law ah go get burst
Rastafari principle, yo ah it govern the earth
Babylon me see say you dey come merge
Hail King Selassie I, the first

[CHORUS:]
Whether or not, yo from them dis Rastafari
Babylon goin' collapse
Whether or not, ey from yuh dis Emmanuel
Babylon me know yuh heart goin' stop
Whether or not, yo from them doh love the Black woman
Me find out dem ratings goin' drop
Whether or not, from yuh nah love Rastafari

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 12:02am On Nov 12, 2017
alvin000:
What the Church doesn't want you to know.

Up until the First Council of Nicaea, the Roman aristocracy primarily worshipped two Greek gods -Apollo and Zeus- but the great bulk of common people idolized either Julius Caesar or Mithras (the Romanized version of the Persian deity Mithra ).
Caesar was deified by the Roman Senate after his death (15 March 44 BC) and subsequently venerated as "the Divine Julius".
The word "Savior" was affixed to his name, its literal meaning being "one who sows the seed", i.e., he was a phallic god.
Julius Caesar was hailed as, " God made manifest and universal Savior of human life", and his successor Augustus was called the "ancestral God and Savior of the whole human race"
(Man and his Gods, Homer Smith, Little, Brown & Co., Boston, 1952).

Emperor Nero (54-68), whose original name was Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus (37-68), was immortalized on his coins as the "Savior of mankind" (ibid.).
The Divine Julius as Roman Savior and "Father of the Empire" was considered "God" among the Roman rabble for more than 300 years. He was the deity in some Western presbyters' texts, but was not recognized in Eastern or Oriental writings.

Constantine's intention at Nicaea was to create an entirely new god for his empire who would unite all religious factions under one deity. Presbyters were asked to debate and decide who their new god would be. Delegates argued among themselves, expressing personal motives for inclusion of particular writings that promoted the finer traits of their own special deity.

Throughout the meeting, howling factions were immersed in heated debates, and the names of 53 gods were tabled for discussion.
"As yet, no God had been selected by the council, and so they balloted in order to determine that matter... For one year and five months the balloting lasted..."
(God's Book of Eskra, Prof. S. L. MacGuire's translation, Salisbury, 1922, chapter xlviii, paragraphs 36, 41).

At the end of that time, Constantine returned to the gathering to discover that the presbyters had not agreed on a new deity but had balloted down to a shortlist of five prospects :
i. Caesar
ii. Krishna
iii. Mithra
iv. Horus
v. Zeus
(Historia Ecclesiastica, Eusebius, c. 325).

Constantine was the ruling spirit at Nicaea and he ultimately decided upon a new god for them. To involve British factions, he ruled that the name of the great Druid god, Hesus , be joined with the Eastern Savior-god, Krishna ( Krishna is Sanskrit for
Christ ), and thus Hesus Krishna would be the official name of the new Roman god.

A vote was taken and it was with a majority show of hands (161 votes to 157) that both divinities became one God . Following longstanding heathen custom, Constantine used the official gathering and the Roman apotheosis decree to legally deify two deities as one, and did so by democratic consent. A new god was proclaimed and "officially" ratified by Constantine ( Acta Concilii Nicaeni, 1618).

That purely political act of deification effectively and legally placed Hesus and Krishna among the Roman gods as one individual composite.

That abstraction lent Earthly existence to amalgamated doctrines for the Empire's new religion; and because there was no letter "J" in alphabets until around the ninth century, the name subsequently evolved into " Jesus Christ".

WHO WAS THIS? This was Chrishna (Krishna) of India, who according to tradition was crucified approximately 1200 B.C. Incidentally, he had a “virgin” birth, either by a hair of the Hindu God Vishnu entering his mother’s womb, or in another version of the myth, God Vishnu himself entering her womb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C48tSPwiJEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc3q07ui5ss

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 12:09am On Nov 12, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
Reasons why the apocrypha does not belong in the Bible

Jesus, the apostles, the Jews and the early church all rejected the books in the Apocrypha as being inspired books on the same level of scripture.

https://carm.org/reasons-why-apocrypha-does-not-belong-bible

Haile Selassie I meets the Pope and discuss the Christian Faith (Listen very carefully and try to glean information about why Apocrypha is not in the Bible!)

Bearing in mind that the Pope blessed the bombs that Italy's Fascist Mussolini threw down upon the innocent and defenceless Ethiopia people during WWII! shocked
As can be seen in the First video below @ 5:24 mark onwards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc3q07ui5ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C48tSPwiJEk
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 1:19am On Nov 17, 2017
Ethiopia in the Bible...

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:15pm On Nov 24, 2017
easymancfc:
Olaadegbu and Tampinu..

Mathew was not part of the prophecy.. neither was Luke or John or Galatians etc.. but they were ADDED TO revelation to form the new testament...

Only God is allowed to add to His Words and He concluded it in the book of Revelation which ended the canon. Anything outside the completed 66 books of the Bible is to be met with a curse. So credit goes only to God for compiling the Bible, the RCC are trying to rob God of His glory which is to their own peril. shocked
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 3:29pm On Nov 24, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Only God is allowed to add to His Words and He concluded it in the book of Revelation which ended the canon. Anything outside the completed 66 books of the Bible is to be met with a curse. So credit goes only to God for compiling the Bible, the RCC are trying to rob God of His glory which is to their own peril. shocked

So Ethiopian 81 books are not approved by God, abi? So only the 66 books approved by Oyinbo are allowed, because they are selected by Oyinbo? Even though Ethiopia was first country mentioned in the Bible? Huh?

Ok, you do well. Hmmmmm shocked
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:25pm On Nov 24, 2017
Tampinu:

So Ethiopian 81 books are not approved by God, abi? So only the 66 books approved by Oyinbo are allowed, because they are selected by Oyinbo? Even though Ethiopia was first country mentioned in the Bible? Huh?

You can read your apocryphal books but just don't confuse them with the Holy Scriptures. smiley
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 5:38pm On Nov 24, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

where does it say God concluded the Bible with the book of revelation..

where does it say the bible contains 66 books..

The RCC is not robing God of anything...

The Curse is upon you lot who removed from the Bible
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:05pm On Nov 24, 2017
easymancfc:

where does it say God concluded the Bible with the book of revelation..

where does it say the bible contains 66 books..

The RCC is not robing God of anything...

The Curse is upon you lot who removed from the Bible

The book of Revelation is the last one to complete the canon and the apocryphal did not qualify. Read it up in 1 Maccabees 9:27 and 14:41 There you will see that there was no voice of the prophet in the land during this dark age. God did not speak to any prophet, the reason it was called the silent years. They Jews were actually looking forward to the day when a faithful prophet would appear and this did not happen until after 400 years of silence.
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 6:19pm On Nov 24, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

You can read your apocryphal books but just don't confuse them with the Holy Scriptures. smiley

Says who cool

Eh?
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 8:11pm On Nov 24, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

The book of Revelation is the last one to complete the canon and the apocryphal did not qualify. Read it up in 1 Maccabees 9:27 and 14:41 There you will see that there was no voice of the prophet in the land during this dark age. God did not speak to any prophet, the reason it was called the silent years. They Jews were actually looking forward to the day when a faithful prophet would appear and this did not happen until after 400 years of silence.

there are several problems with that argument...
1. Most of the deuterocanon were notm written in the so called "silent" years
for example.. The book of Baruch was written by the secretary of the prophet Jeremiah in 581 B.C., well before the supposed "silent period" began.

2. you assume that only prophets can write books in the old testament... which is wrong.. God can inspire anyone to write scripture... For example David and Solomon were not prophets but they wrote in the old testament.. David wrote Psalms, Solomon wrote proverbs and Songs of Songs..

3. You assume that prophets must be alive for scriptures to be written.. Where does it say that in scripture

4... Books like Samuel, Lamentation and Psalm were written in "prophetic gaps" when there were either no prophets or revelation..
1 Samuel 3:1 Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the Lord under Eli. And the word of the Lord was rare in those days; there was no frequent vision.

Lamentation 2:9  Her gates have sunk into the ground;   he has ruined and broken her bars; her king and princes are among the nations; the law is no more, and her prophets obtain  no vision from the Lord.
Psalm 74:9 We do not see our signs; there is no longer any prophet, and there is none among us who knows how long

All these scriptures were written when the word of the Lord was rare and there was no frequent vision (1 Sam 3:1/ book of Samuel), when Prophets obtained no vision from God (Lamentations 2:9/book of Lamentation), When there were no signs or prophets (psalm 74:9/book of psalms)...

5. God spoke to people in the So called "silent period" for example.. In 2 Maccabees, Judah Maccabee himself is given a prophetic dream by God (2 Macc. 15:11-16). He did not have the office of prophet, but he received divine revelation.

IF YOU SAY YOU DONT BELIEVE THAT FOR WHATEVER REASON..
there is also evidence that there was revelation to people before John started his ministry..

When Jesus is born, we meet Simeon the priest, who had been given a private revelation: "And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ" (Luke 2:26; cf. 2:27-35). We also meet the prophetess Anna (Luke 2:36).These revelation were given in the so called "silent Period" before John was born... Note John was older than Jesus with about 6months (cf Luke 1:36) and John would be an infant by then... not mention the revelation from the angel to Mary and Zechariah to foretell Jesus and John's Birth respectively.

6. God is not silent because he doesn't speak through a prophet. He can reveal anything to anyone.. He revealed Christ to Simeon was a Prophet and he received revelation from God before John the Baptist's ministry begun (cf luke 2:27)and even before he was born, The bible also calls Anna a prophetess when John the Baptist was still a baby.. cf Luke 1:13-17, Luke 1:39-45
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 8:30pm On Nov 24, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

there you go again with your cherry picking... who told you revelation was the last to make it into the bible and the deuterocanon didn't make it.. you accept the old testament of the Jews who reject every new testament book including Revelation.. In the Christian councils of Hippo and Carthage which determined the canon of Scripture.. both the Deuterocanon and revelation were called Scripture.. long before Martin Luther removed the deuterocanon from the Christian old testament.. it might interest you to know that he also wanted to remove the book of revelation, including Hebrews and James.. IF HE HAD BEEN SUCCESSFUL.. YOU WOULD BE ARGUING NOW THAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ADDED THE BOOK OF REVELATION TO THE BIBLE OR YOU WOULD NOT HAVE REV 22:18 TO PROOF TEXT SAYING ITS "APOCRYPHAL"
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by budaatum: 9:10pm On Nov 24, 2017
Tampinu:

He does well indeed!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 2:26pm On Nov 25, 2017
budaatum:

He does well indeed!

Abi now ...lol

This is the kind of guys Fela was singing about; they have no love, pride or respect for anything African.

He is here telling me that despite the fact that Ethiopia is the first country mentioned in the Bible on the very 1st page of the Bible, and some Europeans managed to set 66 books as canon, whilst ancient Ethiopia has 81 books.

He is arguing that the Ethiopians will be cursed for adding more books than the 66 books selected and approved by the Europeans. (Sigh).

What kind of reasoning is this?
What are you defending?
Why not just keep silent if unsure?

Hmmmmm cool

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by budaatum: 2:55pm On Nov 25, 2017
Tampinu:

Abi now ...lol

This is the kind of guys Fela was singing about; they have no love, pride or respect for anything African.

He is here telling me that despite the fact that Ethiopia is the first country mentioned in the Bible on the very 1st page of the Bible, and some Europeans managed to set 66 books as canon, whilst ancient Ethiopia has 81 books.

He is arguing that the Ethiopians will be cursed for adding more books than the 66 books selected and approved by the Europeans. (Sigh).

What kind of reasoning is this?
What are you defending?
Why not just keep silent if unsure?

Hmmmmm cool
66 books is a lot of books, so we delight that they bothered to read them. Imagine if they had read only one book! Understanding however, is of a different magnitude and essence.

If he were to reason, he would wonder what would happen to those who added the new testament to the old. If they are cursed for adding the extra books, no one would have heard of Christ, then where would we be?

The Pharisees and Sadduces argued the same point, which books are to be read. In one text, Christ said something about marriage. The second escapes me at the moment, but I wonder if it does not involve Caesar. Will check the text duly.

In the meanwillie it would behold thee to meditate on "[Hu]mans shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God". And contend it with the 66 Books version in [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+21%3A25&version=KJV]John 21:25[/url] of the following, "If all the trees on earth were pens, and the ocean were ink, replenished by seven more oceans, the writing of Allah's Words (His wonderful signs and creations) would not be exhausted; surely Allah is Mighty Wise."

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 3:23pm On Nov 25, 2017
budaatum:

66 books is a lot of books, so we delight that they bothered to read them. Imagine if they had read only one book! Understanding however, is of a different magnitude and essence.

If he were to reason, he would wonder what would happen to those who added the new testament to the old. If they are cursed for adding the extra books, no one would have heard of Christ, then where would we be?

The Pharisees and Sadduces argued the same point, which books are to be read. In one text, Christ said something about marriage. The second escapes me at the moment, but I wonder if it does not involve Caesar. Will check the text duly.

In the meanwillie it would behold thee to meditate on "[Hu]mans shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God". And contend it with the 66 Books version in [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+21%3A25&version=KJV]John 21:25[/url] of the following, "If all the trees on earth were pens, and the ocean were ink, replenished by seven more oceans, the writing of Allah's Words (His wonderful signs and creations) would not be exhausted; surely Allah is Mighty Wise."

I have lived in Europe for 21yrs and, I swear, I've never even met a European who dispute Ethiopian Supremacy in Christianity, Walahi. If anything, they keep quiet. A.k.a, No comment.

Here you have an African man lying against his own heritage and destiny .... I wonder what he has to say about the Kebra Negast and with specific reference to Section 93 that talks about how the men of Rome destroyed the faith. I asked severally but he keeps evading the question...

Na wah o!
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 2:10am On Nov 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 5:16am On Nov 27, 2017
Tampinu.. that picture is inaccurate.. You need to learn your history.. The catholic church was founded by Christ in 33 AD.. in The Great schism of 1054 it was the orthodox church that broke out.. you are twisting history....

The church was originally one both catholic and Orthodox before the east west split in 1054., so both go back to Christ. It was the east (Orthodox ) that split from the west.. So going by your thought. I would say that the patriach of Constantinople and the other eastern fathers founded the Orthodox Church..
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 9:29am On Nov 27, 2017
easymancfc:
Tampinu.. that picture is inaccurate.. You need to learn your history.. The catholic church was founded by Christ in 33 AD.. in The Great schism of 1054 it was the orthodox church that broke out.. you are twisting history....

The church was originally one both catholic and Orthodox before the east west split in 1054., so both go back to Christ. It was the east (Orthodox ) that split from the west.. So going by your thought. I would say that the patriach of Constantinople and the other eastern fathers founded the Orthodox Church..

Thank you for your comment; I thought we had an understanding to stay far from each other' posts as far as East is from West?
I'm just not agreeable to your tone and method of communication, please let's respect the decision to eschew each other's posts.

Deal? shocked

Many thanks grin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Orthodox_Tewahedo_Church

The Oriental Orthodox Churches, which today include the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria, the Armenian Orthodox Church, the Syriac Orthodox Church, the Malankara Orthodox Church of India, the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, and the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church, are referred to as "Non-Chalcedonian", and, sometimes incorrectly by outsiders as "monophysite". Monophysitism is a theology adopted by a 5th-century presbyter and archimandrite in Constantinople known as Eutyches and claims that Christ has "One Single Nature" where His Divinity absorbed His Humanity resulting in a "Simple" mathematical "One" Nature to which the Oriental Orthodox Churches object. According to these, both natures in Christ are perfectly preserved after the union in "mia physis" - One Nature; yet, not resulting in a distinct third Nature.

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 11:51pm On Nov 27, 2017
Tampinu:

Hmmm cool

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 10:30pm On Sep 23, 2018
Tampinu:

Did Jesus quote anything from "Genesis"? Does that mean that Genesis should not be a part of the Canon? shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtuzGRFdvU&t=71s

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kingdom Of Darkness Using Valentine’s Day To Destroy Souls – Mummy GO Warns / Unbox Your Special Christmas Gift So Far And Post Pictures / God Says We Should Not Kill, But How Will A Professional Soldier Cope In War?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.