Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,535 members, 7,823,325 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible (19179 Views)

TB Joshua: I Belong To ALL Political Parties / Buhari Is Victimizing Those That Don't Belong To His Religious Group - CAN Youth / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10am On Sep 16, 2017
Tampinu:

That's news to me and I should be thankful if you will support your assertion biblically. Or, better still, do you have any evidence that alms-giving does not lead to forgiveness of sins?

With thanks...

Read the Gospel according Mark 1:15. There you will see that forgiveness of sins only comes about when you repent and believe the gospel truth.
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:18am On Sep 16, 2017
Tampinu:

Ask yourself why the ark is in Ethiopia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX2KbeD2_PE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHatEHJ4nmA&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cni7Uo8cI_8

Ask yourself how comes the Ethiopian Holy Books have 81 "Books" as opposed to the "66" books of the Standarrd Bible...

"And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple the Ark of His testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail" (Revelation 11:19)

The Ark has been transported to heaven it is no longer here with us.
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 12:24am On Sep 16, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Read the Gospel according Mark 1:15. There you will see that forgiveness of sins only comes about when you repent and believe the gospel truth.

So, then you are saying that "Grace" has no value if we have to rely on work....Innit?
Whereas, the Bible teaches that our righteousness is as filthy rags before HIM, see where Grace comes in?

This explains my comment in a previous post wwhere I stated that most penitent and contrite sinners always usually begin their reconciliatory adventure with the Divine by asking/pleading/begging for forgiveness which can easily be obtain through mercy and faith.

It goes without saying that repentance is a part of the bargain, but it is not what determines exclusively whether one is forgiven or not.
I deal with spirituality and not religion. Religion is a set of rules etc that helps us to achieve spirituality, whereas spirituality is straight as God has given man pure and eternal. Hence if Apocrypha helps a man to spirituality I am happy for him, and if another man finds peace and joy by staying far from Apocrypha as East is from West; I'm equally happy for him! This is not about winning argument or proving that one knowws the Bible and sacred books better, the goal must be kept in focus lest wwe end up reading Holy books like History books.

Peace
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 12:27am On Sep 16, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

"And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple the Ark of His testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail" (Revelation 11:19)

Heaven = Zion

Zion = Ethiopia

Ethiopia = (All of) Africa
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 12:30am On Sep 16, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Matthew 19:23-26 God's Kingdom is Ethiopia, or how many times have you seen multi-millionaires rushing to go on holiday in Ethiopia?

Matthew 19:23-26 King James Version (KJV)

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

King of Zion see Psalm 87 (KJV)

Psalm 87 King James Version (KJV)

87 His foundation is in the holy mountains.

2 The Lord loveth the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.

3 Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God. Selah.

4 I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon to them that know me: behold Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia; this man was born there.

5 And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her: and the highest himself shall establish her.

6 The Lord shall count, when he writeth up the people, that this man was born there. Selah.

7 As well the singers as the players on instruments shall be there: all my springs are in thee.
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:33am On Sep 16, 2017
Tampinu:

So, then you are saying that "Grace" has no value if we have to rely on work....Innit?
Whereas, the Bible teaches that our righteousness is as filthy rags before HIM, see where Grace comes in?

This explains my comment in a previous post wwhere I stated that most penitent and contrite sinners always usually begin their reconciliatory adventure with the Divine by asking/pleading/begging for forgiveness which can easily be obtain through mercy and faith.

It goes without saying that repentance is a part of the bargain, but it is not what determines exclusively whether one is forgiven or not.
I deal with spirituality and not religion. Religion is a set of rules etc that helps us to achieve spirituality, whereas spirituality is straight as God has given man pure and eternal. Hence if Apocrypha helps a man to spirituality I am happy for him, and if another man finds peace and joy by staying far from Apocrypha as East is from West; I'm equally happy for him! This is not about winning argument or proving that one knowws the Bible and sacred books better, the goal must be kept in focus lest wwe end up reading Holy books like History books.

Peace

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9).

You get into error when you begin to take the apocrypha as the gospel which negates the verses quoted above.
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 12:38am On Sep 16, 2017
Tampinu:

Matthew 19:23-26 God's Kingdom is Ethiopia, or how many times have you seen multi-millionaires rushing to go on holiday in Ethiopia?

Matthew 19:23-26 King James Version (KJV)

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

King of Zion see Psalm 87 (KJV)

Psalm 87 King James Version (KJV)

87 His foundation is in the holy mountains.

2 The Lord loveth the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.

3 Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God. Selah.

4 I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon to them that know me: behold Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia; this man was born there.

5 And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her: and the highest himself shall establish her.

6 The Lord shall count, when he writeth up the people, that this man was born there. Selah.

7 As well the singers as the players on instruments shall be there: all my springs are in thee.

Also see Psalm 102:16 Re: Zion = Africa (So when Haile Selassie I came to build up Zion/Africa by forming the OAU, He appeared in His Glory, as Christ in His Kingly Character!)

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 12:45am On Sep 16, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9).

You get into error when you begin to take the apocrypha as the gospel which negates the verses quoted above.

It's like saying you get into error when you open your eyes! Eyes are meant to be opened, I can open it and see things and THEN I CAN decide whether I wanna follow after what I see or not.

Same with Apocrypha, I have posted it and those who find it useful are at liberty to drink of its fountain of wissdom and those who do not understand or appreciate it can leave it and focus on what they are interested in. That is a peaceful and honourable means of interacting in these matters. Lest people start to play holy than thou and when we are supposed to all be on a learning curve...

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Nobody: 12:05pm On Sep 16, 2017
The Ark of the Covenant is strongly believe to be kept in the Chapel of the Tablet. The location is in the AKum town of Tigray region, Ethiopia.

Next to the Chapel of the Tablet are:-
- The old Aksum Mary Zion church (the holiest Christian place in Ethiopia)
- The new Aksum Mary Zion church (built by Emperor Haileselassie in the 1950s)

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Dnaz(m): 2:31pm On Sep 16, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:10

17 So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.
James 2:17

18 But some one will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith.
James 2:18

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when He offered his son Isaac upon the altar?
James 2:21

22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by works,
James 2:22

24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
James 2:24

26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so faith apart from works is dead.
James 2:26

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 2:41pm On Sep 16, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

“The temple of the most high begins with the body which houses our life, the essence of our existence. Africans are in bondage today because they approach spirituality through religion provided by foreign invaders and conquerors. We must stop confusing religion and spirituality. Religion is a set of rules, regulations and rituals created by humans, which was suppose to help people grow spiritually. Due to human imperfection religion has become corrupt, political, divisive and a tool for power struggle. Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is simply a way of life, pure and original as was given by the Most High of Creation. Spirituality is a network linking us to the Most High, the universe, and each other…”

― Haile Selassie I
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 3:02pm On Sep 16, 2017
Tampinu:

Also see Psalm 102:16 Re: Zion = Africa (So when Haile Selassie I came to build up Zion/Africa by forming the OAU, He appeared in His Glory, as Christ in His Kingly Character!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm7Czsjsm6g

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by truthislight: 11:30pm On Sep 16, 2017
budaatum:

The Apocrypha was in the King James Version. However, as to how it was viewed and removed, see
Why the Apocrypha Isn't in the Bible.

I was thinking that the 'teaching books of the OT were all written by Christ Apostles' only!

Excluding the historical parts.

That appears should rather make it a pretty straight forward thing to pick out the books of the OT that are not "Apocryphal"....
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by truthislight: 11:42pm On Sep 16, 2017
budaatum:

I guess the Bible need some more bits deleted then.

Contradictions in the Gospels

1. Matthew and Luke disagree
Matthew and Luke give two contradictory genealogies for Joseph (Matthew 1:2-17 and Luke 3:23-38). They cannot even agree on who the father of Joseph was.

2. Why genealogies of Joseph
Both the genealogies of Matthew and Luke show that Joseph was a direct descendant of King David. But is Joseph is Jesus' father?

3. Why do only Matthew and Luke know of the virgin birth?
Of all the writers of the New Testament, only Matthew and Luke mention the virgin birth. Had something as miraculous as the virgin birth actually occurred, one would expect that Mark and John would have at least mentioned it in their efforts to convince the world that Jesus was who they were claiming him to be.

Sauce

Is it not that they both traced the genealogy of Jesus from different angle?
One through the paternal side while the other is through the mother's side?
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Ubenedictus(m): 2:53pm On Sep 18, 2017
truthislight:

Is it not that they both traced the genealogy of Jesus from different angle?
One through the paternal side while the other is through the mother's side?
how will you address the fact that Genesis present 2 creation stories that contradict themselves, or you haven't noticed it.
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 8:48pm On Sep 19, 2017
Ubenedictus:
how will you address the fact that Genesis present 2 creation stories that contradict themselves, or you haven't noticed it.

By reading the Holy Bible as a spiritual book, not religious texts... grin

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:06am On Sep 20, 2017
Tampinu:

“The temple of the most high begins with the body which houses our life, the essence of our existence. Africans are in bondage today because they approach spirituality through religion provided by foreign invaders and conquerors. We must stop confusing religion and spirituality. Religion is a set of rules, regulations and rituals created by humans, which was suppose to help people grow spiritually. Due to human imperfection religion has become corrupt, political, divisive and a tool for power struggle. Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is simply a way of life, pure and original as was given by the Most High of Creation. Spirituality is a network linking us to the Most High, the universe, and each other…”

― Haile Selassie I

OK. cool

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:07am On Sep 20, 2017
Dnaz:

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:10

17 So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.
James 2:17

18 But some one will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith.
James 2:18

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when He offered his son Isaac upon the altar?
James 2:21

22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by works,
James 2:22

24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
James 2:24

26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so faith apart from works is dead.
James 2:26

What is your point? undecided
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:23am On Sep 20, 2017
Tampinu:

It's like saying you get into error when you open your eyes! Eyes are meant to be opened, I can open it and see things and THEN I CAN decide whether I wanna follow after what I see or not.

Same with Apocrypha, I have posted it and those who find it useful are at liberty to drink of its fountain of wissdom and those who do not understand or appreciate it can leave it and focus on what they are interested in. That is a peaceful and honourable means of interacting in these matters. Lest people start to play holy than thou and when we are supposed to all be on a learning curve...

Thanks but no thanks. cool
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Ubenedictus(m): 10:12am On Sep 20, 2017
Tampinu:

By reading the Holy Bible as a spiritual book, not religious texts... grin
the Bible is both a spiritual book and a religious text .
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 11:10pm On Sep 20, 2017
Ubenedictus:
the Bible is both a spiritual book and a religious text .

Religion is different from Spirituality..
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by truthislight: 2:13pm On Sep 21, 2017
Ubenedictus:

I don't follow, What contradiction?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 4:54pm On Sep 22, 2017
Tampinu:

So where do you place the Ethiopian Church? Bearing in mind Ethiopia is first country mentioned in the Bible Gen 2:13 and Ethiopia was first country to declare Christianity as a National religion (Since 4th Century when Ethiopian official was baptied in the Book of Act of the Apostles).
This is why TEWAHEDO is worth googling as it represents the original split in Christiandom.

ACCORDING TO HISTORY... IT WAS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH THAT FIRST COMPILED THE FULL NEW TESTAMENT AS WE KNOW IT TODAY...

I regard the Ethiopian Orthodox Church as one of the early Christian churches after the big ones ( Jerusalem, Antioch, Rome etc)...
But the fact that Ethiopia was mentioned in Gen 2:13 doesn't have anything to do with Christianity or the canon of the bible..
Secondly, the Ethiopian eunuch was present in the 1st century not the 4th century..

We hear nothing About the Ethiopian Eunuch or Ethiopian christianity after acts 8.. but according to history Socrates of Constantinople includes Ethiopia in
his list as one of the regions preached by
Matthew the Apostle,

The fact that Ethiopia was first to declare Christianity as a state religion doesn't mean they have a special right..
According to history.. It was Athanasius (patriarch of Alexandria), who appointed the first bishop(Frumentius) who was given the title (Abune Selama) for the church in Ethiopia when it became the religion of the Ethiopian Axumite kingdom under Emperor Ezana in the 4th Century...

ACCORDING TO HISTORY IT WAS THE SYNOD OF HIPPO REGIUS (393) and CARTHAGE (397), (419) that determined the FULL NEW testament canon..
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 5:24pm On Sep 22, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

If Moses wrote the Pentateuch why will he only keep the decalogue in the Ark? When did the Ark get lost? Moses and Ezra compiled the OT and not the Vatican.

According to the Bible, It was the stone tablets that was in the ark not the whole old testament
Kjv
Heb 9:4which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the TABLES OF THE CONVENANT;

I never told you that the catholic Church compiled the old testament.. WHAT I SAID WAS THAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ADOPTED THE SEPTUAGINT TRANSLATION OF THE OLD TESTAMENT...

OLAADEGBU:

The Septuagint was a translation of the Jewish Scriptures into Greek during the 3rd century B.C. but the Apocrypha, placed at the end was only dated in the 5th century and therefore cannot be relied upon to inform us what was in common use 500 years earlier.

What matters to me is that neither Jesus nor His apostles ever quoted from the Apocrypha even though they were using the Greek Septuagint. Even Josephus who was familiar with the Septuagint never considered the Apocrypha to be part of the inspired Word of God.
Like I have pointed out.. there are several old testament scriptures which Jesus and the apostles did. not quote from... Jesus did not quote from Songs of Solomon..Esther, Judges Nahum, Obadiah, Esther Joshua, Ruth..
SECONDLY, WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT JESUS HAS TO QUOTE FROM A BOOK FOR IT TO BE SCRIPTURE..
There are many allusions to the deuterocanonica in the new testament...

Jude 1:9 is not referenced from any of your 39 book old testament...

Rev 8:2 talks about 7 angels standing before God the only other place you find a reference like that is in tobit 12:15..

there are many other examples..
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 6:54pm On Sep 22, 2017
easymancfc:

ACCORDING TO HISTORY... IT WAS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH THAT FIRST COMPILED THE FULL NEW TESTAMENT AS WE KNOW IT TODAY...

I regard the Ethiopian Orthodox Church as one of the early Christian churches after the big ones ( Jerusalem, Antioch, Rome etc)...
But the fact that Ethiopia was mentioned in Gen 2:13 doesn't have anything to do with Christianity or the canon of the bible..
Secondly, the Ethiopian eunuch was present in the 1st century not the 4th century..

We hear nothing About the Ethiopian Eunuch or Ethiopian christianity after acts 8.. but according to history Socrates of Constantinople includes Ethiopia in
his list as one of the regions preached by
Matthew the Apostle,

The fact that Ethiopia was first to declare Christianity as a state religion doesn't mean they have a special right..
According to history.. It was Athanasius (patriarch of Alexandria), who appointed the first bishop(Frumentius) who was given the title (Abune Selama) for the church in Ethiopia when it became the religion of the Ethiopian Axumite kingdom under Emperor Ezana in the 4th Century...

ACCORDING TO HISTORY IT WAS THE SYNOD OF HIPPO REGIUS (393) and CARTHAGE (397), (419) that determined the FULL NEW testament canon..

Well then, please can you explain why Ethiopian Holy Books have 81 books as opposed to the Books of normal Bible?

Plus, are you aware of wwhat is said in Book of Romans 1:21-end?

What does the Kebra Negaste say about the Romans destroying the faith? (See below)

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/kn/

93. How the Men of RÔMÊ destroyed the Faith

93. How the Men of RÔMÊ destroyed the Faith

And after they had waited for three months—now ZION came into the country of ETHIOPIA at the beginning of the first month in the language of the HEBREWS, and in Greek TÂRMÔN and in GĔ’ĔZ (ETHIOPIC) MÎYÂZYÂ, on the sixth (or, seventh) day—they wrote down the Law and the names, and they deposited [the writing] for a memorial for the later days, so that what was right should be done for the pavilion [of ZION] p. 164 thereby, and so that the glory of the kings of ETHIOPIA and the glory of the kings of RÔMÊ might be well known. For the kings of ETHIOPIA and the kings of RÔMÊ were brethren and held the Christian Faith. Now first of all they believed in an orthodox manner in the preaching of the Apostles up to [the time of] CONSTANTINE, and ’ĔLÊNÎ (HELENA) the Queen, who brought forth the wood of the Cross, and they (i.e., the kings of RÔMÊ) continued [to believe for] one hundred and thirty years.

And afterwards, SATAN, who hath been the enemy of man from of old, rose up, and seduced the people of the country of RÔMÊ, and they corrupted the Faith of CHRIST, and they introduced heresy into the Church of God by the mouth of NESTORIUS . And NESTORIUS, and ARIUS, and YABÂSÔ (?) were those into whose hearts he cast the same jealousy as he had cast into the heart of CAIN to slay his brother ABEL. In like manner did their father the Devil, the enemy of righteousness and the hater of good, cast jealousy, even as DAVID saith, "They speak violence in the heights of heaven, and set their mouths in the heavens, and their tongue waggeth on the earth."1 And those same men who know not whence they came, and know not whither they are going, revile their Creator with their tongues, and blaspheme His glory, while He is God, the Word of the Lord. He came down from the throne of His Godhead, and put on the body of ADAM, and He is God the Word. And in that body He was crucified so that He might redeem ADAM in his iniquity, and He went up into the heavens, and sat upon the throne of His Godhead in that body, which He had taken. And He shall come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and shall reward every man according to his work, for ever and ever. Amen.

And we believe thus and we adore the Holy Trinity. And those who do not believe thus are excommunicated p. 165 by the Word of God, the King of heaven and earth, both in this world and in that world which is to come. And we are strong in the Orthodox Faith which the Fathers the Apostles have delivered unto us, the Faith of the Church. And thus ETHIOPIA continued to abide in her Faith until the coming of our Lord JESUS CHRIST, to Whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHnwtlUFXkc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Orthodox_Tewahedo_Church

Tewahedo (Ge'ez ተዋሕዶ) is a Ge'ez word meaning "being made one". This word refers to the Oriental Orthodox belief in the one perfectly unified Nature of Christ; i.e., a complete union of the Divine and Human Natures into one nature is self-evident in order to accomplish the divine salvation of humankind, as opposed to the "two Natures of Christ" belief commonly held by the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox, Anglican, Lutheran and most Protestant Churches. The Oriental Orthodox Churches adhere to a Miaphysitic Christological view followed by Cyril of Alexandria, the leading protagonist in the Christological debates of the 4th and 5th centuries. Miaphysitism holds that in the one person of Jesus Christ, Divinity and Humanity are united in one (μία, mia - "one"wink nature (φύσις - "physis"wink without separation, without confusion, without alteration and without mixing[5] where Christ is consubstantial with God the Father in as much as He is with Mankind. Around 500 bishops within the Patriarchates of Alexandria, Antioch and Jerusalem refused to accept the Dyophysitism (two natures) doctrine decreed by the Council of Chalcedon in 451, an incident that resulted in the first major split in the main body of the Christian Church. [6]

The Oriental Orthodox Churches, which today include the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria, the Armenian Orthodox Church, the Syriac Orthodox Church, the Malankara Orthodox Church of India, the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, and the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church, are referred to as "Non-Chalcedonian", and, sometimes incorrectly by outsiders as "monophysite". Monophysitism is a theology adopted by a 5th-century presbyter and archimandrite in Constantinople known as Eutyches and claims that Christ has "One Single Nature" where His Divinity absorbed His Humanity resulting in a "Simple" mathematical "One" Nature to which the Oriental Orthodox Churches object. According to these, both natures in Christ are perfectly preserved after the union in "mia physis" - One Nature; yet, not resulting in a distinct third Nature.

Biblical canon

Main article: Orthodox Tewahedo biblical canon
Drawing of the Virgin Mary 'with her beloved son' in pencil and ink, from a manuscript copy of Weddasé Māryām, circa 1875.

The Tewahedo Church Canon contains 81 books . This canon contains the books accepted by other Orthodox Christians.[33]

The Narrower Canon contains Enoch, Jubilees, and I II III Meqabyan. (These are unrelated to the Greek I, II, III Maccabees with which they are often confused.) The canonical Enoch differs from the editions of the Ge'ez manuscripts in the British Museum and elsewhere (A-Q) used by foreign scholars (OTP), for example in treatment of the Nephilim of Genesis 6.[citation needed] The current 81 book version was published in 1986, containing the same text as previously published in the Haile Selassie Version of the Bible, only with some minor modifications to the New Testament translation.
Some sources speak of the Broader Canon, which has never been published as a single compilation but is said to include all of the Narrower Canon, as well as additional New Testament books said to have been used by the early church: two Books of the Covenant, four Books of Sinodos, an Epistle of Peter to Clement—also known as "Ethiopic Clement," and the Ethiopic Didascalia. These may not all bear close resemblance to works with similar titles known in the West. An eight-part, Ethiopic version of the history of the Jewish people written by Joseph ben Gorion, known as the 'Pseudo-Josephus' is considered part of the broader canon, though it would be considered an Old Testament work.[34]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oAz4ViTRlM

Sizzla Lyrics- "Whether Or Not"

"Whether Or Not"

Yea burn away the anger and the fury, oy
Hail king Selassie I, his praise and glory

[CHORUS:]
Whether or not, yo from them dis king Selassie I
Babylon goin' collapse
Whether or not, ey from yuh dis Emmanuel
Babylon me know yuh heart goin' stop
Whether or not, yo from yuh dis the Black woman
Me know yuh glory it goin' drop
Whether or not, from yuh nah love Rastafari
That means say yuh doh love the Black

Ey first of all that the woman mek me dey yah
Black culture me talk that me deh say ah
Dis Rastafari ah who dem a refer
Bun John pope and the things whey dem a prefer
Ey first of all a Black woman mek I dey yah
Curruption dem a talk we nah love whey dem ah say yah
Them dis King Selassie ey ah who you dey refer
Come fi bun you out a Babylon things you prefer
Ey live by the word what you speak
'cuz nowadays ghetto youths start see it
Find out, you go bow to the beast
In Mount Zion curruption cyar sweet
Cyar dis the Black woman nor the high priest
Cyar dis the profit with the vision inna the street
Cyar dis the king inna tabanackle a teach
Make the youths them love them one another, ah tell you it
Stop bus the gun stop war stop flinch
No apology or else we kick out your teeth cool
Find out nuff ah them waa cheat
True Rastaman are pray 'pon the mountain peak smiley
Fi protect and care fi the poor and the meek
Don't dis the order, wake up on the east
'cuz poor people gone Babylon waan thief
poor people farm Babylon waan reap
Them nah give the ghetto youth one thing fi eat
So nah bother dis the Rastafari ey nah bother do it
Babylon ah kill the ghetto youth inna the street
Mi say fi rise and live bongo nah go repeat
Repatriation I nah go retreat,
Babylon, gonna sink yuh inna the deep
First of all ah the woman mek me dey ya
Black culture we talk only that we gotta say yah
Ey yuh dis Rastafari ah who yuh dey refer
Find out a Vatican ways dem you prefer shocked
Ey first of all ah the woman mek me dey ya
Bun John Paul Rastafari me prefer
Hail King Selassie Babylon ah get deafer angry
Ey they musbe check say dat them clever
Check them meditation and hear them words
They never did ah look much less fi observe
Dem never did ah listen so dem never heard
Dem dis the Messiah and waan go dis the Shepherd
How come you alone waan __ the earth
From Mount Zion I ah life Rasta preserve
Babylon don't go round no curve
Through we treat a situation pagan waan go swerve
More me bun the fire more the people get hurt
Some boy jus through the money them utter any word
Just we full the belly jus we full the purse
Babylon you silly Babylon you curse
See say that the wicked man can't surf
Righteousness, the ghetto youths dem merge
Babylon must bow and kiss the dirt
Dem nah love Rastaman, much less we work
The west minister law ah go get burst
Rastafari principle, yo ah it govern the earth
Babylon me see say you dey come merge
Hail King Selassie I, the first

[CHORUS:]
Whether or not, yo from them dis Rastafari
Babylon goin' collapse
Whether or not, ey from yuh dis Emmanuel
Babylon me know yuh heart goin' stop
Whether or not, yo from them doh love the Black woman
Me find out dem ratings goin' drop
Whether or not, from yuh nah love Rastafari

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 9:37pm On Sep 22, 2017
Tampinu:

YOU AND I HAVE DEBATED THE ISSUE OF ETHIOPIA AND ROME IN A DIFFERENT THREAD AND I SHOWED HOW INACCURATE YOUR INFORMATION WAS...
in everything you pasted you failed to show that the Ethiopian canon came before the Catholic canon.
I know the Ethiopian canon has 81 books with the book of Enoch and jubilees etc ... according to your post... the current 81 book version was published in 1986...
Show me that the Ethiopian canon came before 393 (council of hippo) and I will believe you.. simple...NO NEED TO COPY AND PASTE THE WHOLE WIKIPEDIA... BUT DO IT WITH GOOD SOURCES
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 11:25pm On Sep 22, 2017
easymancfc:

YOU AND I HAVE DEBATED THE ISSUE OF ETHIOPIA AND ROME IN A DIFFERENT THREAD AND I SHOWED HOW INACCURATE YOUR INFORMATION WAS...
in everything you pasted you failed to show that the Ethiopian canon came before the Catholic canon.
I know the Ethiopian canon has 81 books with the book of Enoch and jubilees etc ... according to your post... the current 81 book version was published in 1986...
Show me that the Ethiopian canon came before 393 (council of hippo) and I will believe you.. simple...NO NEED TO COPY AND PASTE THE WHOLE WIKIPEDIA... BUT DO IT WITH GOOD SOURCES

Not sure if I can maake head or tail of your comments aabove, it seems to display a degree of frustration and intellectual lethargy; I think you are mixing me up with another person as I don't recall debating what is an objective reality with some one. Please post a link to any thread where you have "showed how inaccurate my information was".

I referred you to the Kebra Negast and what did you reply? I copied and pasted about Tewahedo and what was your response?
Look, it's hard to wake a man up if he's pretending to be asleep, I'm not here to win arguments so I rest my case.

Peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfeIfiiBTfY

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 7:29am On Sep 23, 2017
Tampinu:

Not sure if I can maake head or tail of your comments aabove, it seems to display a degree of frustration and intellectual lethargy; I think you are mixing me up with another person as I don't recall debating what is an objective reality with some one. Please post a link to any thread where you have "showed how inaccurate my information was".

I referred you to the Kebra Negast and what did you reply? I copied and pasted about Tewahedo and what was your response?
Look, it's hard to wake a man up if he's pretending to be asleep, I'm not here to win arguments so I rest my case.

Peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfeIfiiBTfY
You are cleverly trying to avoid the question
Like I have shown.. I know about the Ethiopian orthodox tawahedo...
But you have failed again to prove to me with good historical sources that the Ethiopian canon came before the council of hippo and Carthage..

As for your claim about not debating with me.. here is a link to the thread
https://www.nairaland.com/3894170/catholics-praying-dead-saints-biblical/4#58589765
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 10:20am On Sep 23, 2017
easymancfc:

You are cleverly trying to avoid the question
Like I have shown.. I know about the Ethiopian orthodox tawahedo...
But you have failed again to prove to me with good historical sources that the Ethiopian canon came before the council of hippo and Carthage..

As for your claim about not debating with me.. here is a link to the thread
https://www.nairaland.com/3894170/catholics-praying-dead-saints-biblical/4#58589765

Firstly, it doesn't take a genius to overstand that if Ethiopia is first country or kingdom mentioned in the Bible and if Psalm 87 mentions that God has chosen Ethiopia above all other countries, that means that historically the Ethiopians have the books of the Faith, there's no other holy books that can supercede the ancient historical Ethiopian texts. Or how do you explain it? shocked
God made Ethiopia first, then God waited for Greeks and Romans and who-ever else to write the books about God and Ethiopia! (Scratches head) shocked
What kinda rationality is that?

Thanks for posting the link about our historical chat, I never denied debating with people about facts of Ethiopia, but I still cannot see the part of the debate where your comment applies...Your comments below I mean.

My request in previous post was: Please post a link to any thread where you have "showed how inaccurate my information was".

It did not say: Please post a link about any general chat we had previously, the request was in soecific relation to how you claimed you "showed how inaccurate my information was".

I am still waiting for you to show me that part in the historical debate link you posted.

But like I said, you are free to carry on with your intellactual lethargy.
Go dowwwn Babylon bwwoy! sad

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by Tampinu(m): 10:47am On Sep 23, 2017
easymancfc:

You keep mentioning ROME and I referred you to the Book of Romans in the accepted normal Canons of the Bible; specifically Roman 1:26 till the end of teh chapter, and what did you reply? What did you have to say about that? Then you try come up a' towwn and make like you wanna teach Biblical history without factoring Africa? What you feel like?

Go read the Kebtra Negast and gain some historical insight into the full meaning of Romans 1:26 with regards to how the Romans destroyed the faith!

Why do you think Haile Selassie I's Royal titles include "Defender of the Faith"? You think it's just a convenient title?

Mind how you chat and vomit fuckry, you know! angry

Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 1:13pm On Sep 23, 2017
Tampinu:

You keep mentioning ROME and I referred you to the Book of Romans in the accepted normal Canons of the Bible; specifically Roman 1:26 till the end of the chapter, and what did you reply? What did you have to say about that? Then you try come up a' towwn and make like you wanna teach Biblical history without factoring Africa? What you feel like?

Go read the Kebtra Negast and gain some historical insight into the full meaning of Romans 1:26 with regards to how the Romans destroyed the faith!

Why do you think Haile Selassie I's Royal titles include "Defender of the Faith"? You think it's just a convenient title?

Mind how you chat and vomit fuckry, you know! angry

Paul doesn't mention Africa or Ethiopia in Romans...
Secondly Paul was making a general statement...
Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and wickedness of MEN who by their wickedness suppress the truth.

The letter to the romans was to the Christians in Rome.. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CHRISTIANS IN ROME AND THE ROMAN EMPIRE... THE WE CALL THAT BOOK LETTER TO THE ROMANS, THESE ARE NOT THE ROMANS WHO PERSECUTED CHRISTIANS AND WORSHIPPED A PANTHEON OF GODS.. NOTE THE DIFFERENCE...

lastly, When Romans was written.. there was no taught of Haile Selassie or any other Ethiopian. Ethiopian Christianity is not superior to those who preceded and founded it...
And p.s. the title of "defender of the faith" has been used long before Hailey Selassie used it.. SO ITS NOT UNIQUE TO HIM

I still await proof that the Ethiopian orthodox Tawahedo canon predates Hippo and Carthage...

NO NEED FOR FOUL LANGUAGE.. PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL..
Re: Reasons Why The Apocrypha Does Not Belong In The Bible by easymancfc(m): 2:25pm On Sep 23, 2017
Tampinu:

Firstly, it doesn't take a genius to overstand that if Ethiopia is first country or kingdom mentioned in the Bible and if Psalm 87 mentions that God has chosen Ethiopia above all other countries, that means that historically the Ethiopians have the books of the Faith, there's no other holy books that can supercede the ancient historical Ethiopian texts. Or how do you explain it? shocked
God made Ethiopia first, then God waited for Greeks and Romans and who-ever else to write the books about God and Ethiopia! (Scratches head) shocked
What kinda rationality is that?

Thanks for posting the link about our historical chat, I never denied debating with people about facts of Ethiopia, but I still cannot see the part of the debate where your comment applies...Your comments below I mean.

My request in previous post was: Please post a link to any thread where you have "showed how inaccurate my information was".

It did not say: Please post a link about any general chat we had previously, the request was in soecific relation to how you claimed you "showed how inaccurate my information was".

I am still waiting for you to show me that part in the historical debate link you posted.

But like I said, you are free to carry on with your intellactual lethargy.
Go dowwwn Babylon bwwoy! sad

My dear.. You argument is non sequitur...
It does not follow that because Ethiopia is mentioned first in the bible therefore it has all the writings about God, or that it made the first Bible canon..
That assumption is simply false..
Psalm 87 mentions other kingdom/cities, (Babylon, Phylistia, Tyre also) According that passage and all of Christian history and Tradition, Zion refers to Jerusalem (both new and old) not Ethiopia

ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE, GOD CHOSE ISRAEL ABOVE ALL OTHER NATIONS NOT ETHIOPIA..
Ethiopia became Christian AFter The gospel spread from Jerusalem and Antioch etc.. So it doesn't have texts that supersedes any other Christian text..
Paul or Peter or James or Luke never wrote to or about Ethiopia in the bible..
IF THEY DID, Prove it..

I AM STILL WAITING FOR PROOF THAT THE ETHIOPIAN CANON PREDATES HIPPO AND CARTAGE.. JUST PROVIDE THE EVIDENCE AND I WILL CONCEDE DEFEAT IF ITS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE.. INSTEAD OF DEMEANING COMMENTS, FOUL LANGUAGE AND INSULTS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Okorocha Tells Priests & Laity In Ahiara Diocese To Obey The Pope’s Directive / Is A Prayerless Christian Really A Powerless Christian? / Why You Should Not Take A Phone Bible To Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.