Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,565 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary (44531 Views)

65-Year-Old Woman, Enakimio, Graduates From Covenant University With Masters / Pastor Adeyemi's Daughter Graduates With Masters Degree In Law In US / Onoriode Aziza Has 3 First Class In Law From OAU, Law School & Cambridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Ezionye(f): 8:49pm On Jul 15, 2017
MrBrownJay1:
ARRANT NONSENSE!!!
Each and every employer has the RIGHt to decide what they will offer their employees... And if that UK Master holder doesn't like it then she should go apply for ANOTHER JOB.

The reality is that A) There are many people in Nigeria who will accept this job, B) there are many Locally graduated lawyers who will PERFECTLY do the job required and C) just because someone has a UK master does NOT mean they would do a better job or should receive a better salary.

The top graduated lawyer of any 9ja establishment would be way better than some 50/50 UK master holder

All the scenarios u highlighted are true. It is also true that 35 k is a paltry sum for a graduate, whether local or international. Dunno y u focused on the UK masters tho. The poster only gave the chronological educational qualifications of his sister
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 15, 2017
naija247:
Unfortunately I know a number of Masters holders form UK sponsored by PTDF without jobs.

So?

Should they collect 35k monthly

It's more honourable n more profitable to drive keke

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 15, 2017
bigtt76:
So because she schooled in UK she automatically should be given a blank check as salary? Haba she must earn am naaaa angry

Earn what exactly

1k per day

Unserious keke drivers make over 3k per day.
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Gamesmart: 9:06pm On Jul 15, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
The most annoying thing is that she went for a masters in a professional course without any work experience and worse of it to the UK of all places. I can only go to school in the UK if it's Oxford, Cambridge, imperial or UCL. Every other thing is "nonfa".

Why not the UK and why only those 4 unis?
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by nanbaljenas(m): 9:51pm On Jul 15, 2017
bigtt76:
So because she schooled in UK she automatically should be given a blank check as salary? Haba she must earn am naaaa angry
Nonsense and senseless talk
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Chelseafan1: 9:53pm On Jul 15, 2017
queenfav:
Lol.. I feel for those paying for LL. M abroad. Law firms don't give a damn about that, totally useless in legal practice! What they care about is how strong your trial advocacy and drafting skills are. If you like get Havard LL. M, the average law firm's Principal won't be rolling out a red carpet for you.Even if i feel like doing masters, it won't be in law. Market when no get gain, dem no dey invest put na? In my opinion, legal career in Nigeria takes a lot of blood, sweat and years of being the underdog. I don't have that patience, that was why i started a business. I am just counting down to the end of this year when i would dump my wig and gown, then face my business. Like falz said "no regrets, na this one pay pass!" My mum would only cry and cry, that i want to be selling hair full time.. I will point her in the direction of celebs who never saw a court room and are doing very well. The passion to practice law started dying when i was job hunting.. Asked myself, how can i give 7 years of my life to something and i can't be sure of a decent paycheck of at least 100k?Ejoor, i like the baby girl lifestyle, i cannot come and go and die of poverty onto lawyer work !

This is touching cheesy
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 15, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
You still added prayers again undecided How's yours different from the typical mentality? cheesy

hehehe.
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by simiolu1(m): 10:02pm On Jul 15, 2017
Gerrard59:

It's a 'bad market' because you will not be allowed to work immediately after your studies unless one is fortunate and quick enough to get a job. The data I checked months back indicated an annual salary above £20K, which IMO majorly top firms pay to ET staff. Now, these firms will likely employ you if you finish from a Russell Group University (best of UK's universities). There is a clause which says unless no British citizen has been found that can be employed instead of a foreigner, then you can recruit.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jul/02/get-a-job-or-get-out-the-tough-reality-for-international-students

http://www.ed.ac.uk/global/immigration/working-in-the-uk/after-studies

It's important to note that the company you apply to is eligible to sponsor your visa to stay after your student's visa expires. I have senior colleagues who dread going to the UK because of the high costs, low availability of scholarships, might not find work within the period (4 months) and these are brilliant individuals. Only one with a First in Chemistry desires the UK experience. On the other hand, he targets only the top five, which unfortunately, Sussex is not among. However, I cannot blame the UK. It's their country and they reserve the right to govern it the way they deem fit.

The US, Germany, Netherlands, Australia, Canada and parts of Asia (Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong and China) remains the best (you can study and remain).

Back when I was thinking about continuing my study abroad, I realized that the UK was really really really a bad market. After the top schools (which are damn expensive), other schools command next to nothing except the person in his or herself is a very intelligent and bright person.

So I concluded that Germany, Netherlands, Finland and Norway were better options if I really wanted to study in Europe. The schools are cheap and they have very very good ones too. One also has the opportunity to learn a second language. And then the immigration laws are much better.

Case in point.

I have a friend. First Class Engineering degree from Nigeria. Went to the University of Manchester (no scholarship) for M.Eng. Another first class result. Dude came back home and continued his social media management business which he started before he had travelled.

I had to ask him if it would not have been better if the money spent for his M.Eng. was used to set up a business for him since that was what he wanted all along. Truth is, some people go for Masters just because they have folks who can afford it. These set of people are so fixated on foreign degrees especially from the UK that if you suggested cheaper options to them, they would scorn you.

Most of these people then graduate and come back to the country only to realise that the investment they thought they had made wasn't as good as they thought it would be due to the situation of the economy and all.

Right now, rather than study any MSc course, I'll prefer if someone paid for a Javascript Nanodegree for me on Treehouse or Udacity. After one year of constant coding, I'll command better salaries than most graduates who went abroad for MSc. Worst case scenario, I'll look for a remote developer job or freelance full time. Funny thing is, the Nanodegree costs less than $1,000!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by fojb: 10:09pm On Jul 15, 2017
bigtt76:
please, how many years experience does she have?
you graduated, run away to do masters abroad and you expect them to break the bank for you when you don't even know anything about the job. academic is just 5% of the job, you get the remaining 95% on the job.
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by banio: 10:29pm On Jul 15, 2017
Our government is the fault. No laws and no implementation. Nigerians die for such pay, oil multinationals like Chevron enslave and kill people earning such. So we must point to the government and our weak labour unions.
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by engrrichie92(m): 10:41pm On Jul 15, 2017
martyns303:

Because you expected to leave the UK soon as u r done with ur studies, unlike the US and Canada.

Nigerians need to understand that tartiary is not the only way of education or how to get employed. I know of someone taking home N1.2m per month salary without ever seen the corridor of a university. And may I add he's barely 27.

Edited: he's not an entrepreneur, hustler or businessman, he earns salary, as in he works for a company and gets paid at the end of the month.

hmmm, this is super-stooooory
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by cybriz82(m): 10:45pm On Jul 15, 2017
Ur sister dull herself.She no see want correct bobo for Yankee abi ur sister ugly ni?
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by mikolo80: 10:55pm On Jul 15, 2017
THEPOTTER:
you people should fear God. . after dollars abroad 35k ?
make dem work abroad na
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by oluwadiyar: 11:36pm On Jul 15, 2017
lipsrsealed embarassed cant laff
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by oluwadiyar: 11:38pm On Jul 15, 2017
cheesy no place like home
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Nobody: 12:06am On Jul 16, 2017
vicfuntop:
Creamymoltenlar what can you say here?
As many people have already observed, law firms pay stipends, but I think the major issue here is a UK trained masters degree holder being offered a low paying job. Well the truth is that in this current economic reality, any job at all is a blessing. There are very simply no jobs out there, these days it's not even enough to know big men. Its high time we be realistic, the odds of an average Nigerian getting a job that pays 200k and above are very low. Most people that make derogatory comments about people not earning this or that are either still in school or haven't been exposed to the harsh reality of life in Nigeria at the moment.That being said, there's nothing wrong with one furthering one's studies abroad. Education there is more advanced so you learn more and at the end of the day, personal development also matters. Besides, there are still many high paying jobs that favour foreign degrees, so schooling abroad is still an investment, its just that getting a high paying job with a foreign degree is no longer automatic. There'll be job offers sure, but most would likely be between 50k-100k
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by CoolAmbience(m): 1:09am On Jul 16, 2017
bigtt76:

Don't mind these people. If she sees that as belittling, let her create a job for herself.

That #35,000 offer could jump into anything tomorrow, if she proves her mettle.

As for me, I can't sacrifice entrepreneurship for any pay in the world.
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by SRK1(m): 1:40am On Jul 16, 2017
Make some COOL money writing ebooks and sales copy!

Do you have a great talent for writing? Would you like to make some BIG bucks from your talent? Then send me a message now at:

mavenwriter02@gmail.com

to start.

I am looking for people who speak English naturally. By this I mean people who speak English as their first language or who speak the language often. This quality is critical in long writings, that's why is by far your most important credential.

Honestly, you can make it BIG with me if you're so good. 100k in a month or more? I say no problem.

Contact me now and let's make some money!

Again, email is: mavenwriter02@gmail.com

Tags: Copywriting, ebook writing or writer, freelancing or freelancer, creative writing
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Codes151(m): 8:18am On Jul 16, 2017
bigtt76:
145 likes to this rubbish? Even 35k as a start up for a graduate, whether bsc, hnd, or msc is poor! Which school in nigeria has a semester fee less than 35k? What kind of country is this?

I am actually a Nigerian, living in nigeria with this kind of low thinking degenerate and unethical people? OMG (about 145 of them way like this close-minded rubbish u post)

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by bigtt76(f): 8:36am On Jul 16, 2017
What is this one saying sef? angry

So becos Nigeria has the largest population in the lack world and has some of the best world cup performances, she should be awarded the AFCON trophy each year without kicking a ball?

C'mon, it doesn't work that way. Salaries are not paid based on your paper qualifications alone dear but based on your experience on the job you're hired to do.

Submitting a UK or Harvard degree certificate only invites you to the board room for a job interview and not automatic employment or high salary.

Go ask the bankers who get high salaries.... They earn each and every cent or kobo on that offer letter.

If you must know, it takes not less than 5 years after graduation and call to bar as a lawyer to be trusted to argue a case in court. As time goes on after learning the rope, she gets renumerated commensurately to the level of competence and not degree source.

I'm sure read in the new recently of the foreign trained medical doctors from Nigeria required to sit for induction examination. Quite a number failed the exam the had foreign degrees too!

Codes151:
145 likes to this rubbish? Even 35k as a start up for a graduate, whether bsc, hnd, or msc is poor! Which school in nigeria has a semester fee less than 35k? What kind of country is this?

I am actually a Nigerian, living in nigeria with this kind of low thinking degenerate and unethical people? OMG (about 145 of them way like this close-minded rubbish u post)
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Codes151(m): 8:46am On Jul 16, 2017
bigtt76:
What is this one saying sef? angry

So becos Nigeria has the largest population in the lack world and has some of the best world cup performances, she should be awarded the AFCON trophy each year without kicking a ball?

C'mon, it doesn't work that way. Salaries are not paid based on your paper qualifications alone dear but based on your experience on the job you're hired to do.

Submitting a UK or Harvard degree certificate only invites you to the board room for a job interview and not automatic employment or high salary.

Go ask the bankers who get high salaries.... They earn each and every cent or kobo on that offer letter.

If you must know, it takes not less than 5 years after graduation and call to bar as a lawyer to be trusted to argue a case in court. As time goes on after learning the rope, she gets renumerated commensurately to the level of competence and not degree source.

I'm sure read in the new recently of the foreign trained medical doctors from Nigeria required to sit for induction examination. Quite a number failed the exam the had foreign degrees too!

dont sweat to write plenty! Id prefer you join Linda since u like to write! Always look for positivity in everything! Everything is wrong in this country! Offering someone who went to school or unskilled a salary cap of 35k monthly is wrong. At least, a startup of 60k is okay for a start! That's the point! And I bet you no they work! I R.E.M. When even with d 60k, I was complaining! Your here talking about 35k!

If the so called company was matured, seeing here sacrifices, would have refused her on basics of affordability! Not look at her credentials and offer her 35k!

As for you, I don't have time to read your crap! I can deduce lots from your sense; 60% you don't have a degree or yet to! You don't know or ever tried furthering if you did have a degree hence the low mentality! Infact, you don't have a masters and don't intend to! you are working, I doubt!
If you were, you won't be menstrating on 35k salary cap as if it's a trophy! Always be open minded sista
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by bigtt76(f): 8:53am On Jul 16, 2017
Thank you saaah! Have a blessed Sunday

Codes151:
dont sweat to write plenty! Id prefer you join Linda since u like to write! Always look for positivity in everything! Everything is wrong in this country! Offering someone who went to school or unskilled a salary cap of 35k monthly is wrong. At least, a startup of 60k is okay for a start! That's the point! And I bet you no they work! I R.E.M. When even with d 60k, I was complaining! Your here talking about 35k!

If the so called company was matured, seeing here sacrifices, would have refused her on basics of affordability! Not look at her credentials and offer her 35k!

As for you, I don't have time to read your crap! I can deduce lots from your sense; 60% you don't have a degree or yet to! You don't know or ever tried furthering if you did have a degree hence the low mentality! Infact, you don't have a masters and don't intend to! you are working, I doubt!
If you were, you won't be menstrating on 35k salary cap as if it's a trophy! Always be open minded sista
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Codes151(m): 8:55am On Jul 16, 2017
bigtt76:
Thank you saaah! Have a blessed Sunday

you too my dear! Be safe
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by seangy4konji: 9:04am On Jul 16, 2017
So ur own federal hospital is paying you 110 k for a nurse piri.is it me u r doing?
DALE917:

Private hospitals pays nothing compared to federal hospitals
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by DALE917(f): 9:47am On Jul 16, 2017
seangy4konji:
So ur own federal hospital is paying you 110 k for a nurse piri.is it me u r doing?

Sit down there oh
While some high ranking nurses are collecting 350k per month grin grin

Not to talk of if you are even abroad!

You have poverty mentality
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:05am On Jul 16, 2017
DALE917:

Sit down there oh While some high ranking nurses are collecting 350k per month grin grin
Which nurses get 350k, old nurses that are close to retirement?
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by isaacola57: 10:50am On Jul 16, 2017
swagguElite:
God will bless you! ...n enlarge your knowledge coast! _you analyzed the issue perfectly well! _yu dah bomb! wink
Nigerians and jealousy.. U think its easy to study in UK..If u studied abroad u deserve more than a Nigerian schooled..if it was easy everybody would do it

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 16, 2017
isaacola57:
Nigerians and jealousy.. U think its easy to study in UK..If u studied abroad u deserve more than a Nigerian schooled..if it was easy everybody would do it

What kind of mentality is this? Finance actually stops some persons from going abroad to study among other things.

Also, saying a foreign trained graduate deserves more than a locally trained is not only fallacious but represent a great height of hypocrisy.

An employer will remunerate based on what a person offers, some of the foreign trained can't even do what some locally trained will do.

peace

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by Mouthgag: 11:51am On Jul 16, 2017
durentchigozie:
in Nigeria or wonderland ?
Which course is dat
Surely,
Pharmacy, Medicine, Physiotherapy, Medlab and co.

Nigeria sentiment...
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by isaacola57: 12:54pm On Jul 16, 2017
joshuakdboy:

What kind of mentality is this? Finance actually stops some persons from going abroad to study among other things.

Also, saying a foreign trained graduate deserves more than a locally trained is not only fallacious but represent a great height of hypocrisy.

An employer will remunerate based on what a person offers, some of the foreign trained can't even do what some locally trained will do.

peace
after spending so much money to now settle for 35k is ridiculous.any university in the UK is better than a Nigerian university
Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by seangy4konji: 2:05pm On Jul 16, 2017
all my sisters were nurses in nigeria before moving to uk and usa..my step mother is chief matron oyo state...how long have you been working as a nurse to earn 110kall this people worked at UCH IBADAN and i think its federal goverment.my friend go and sit soemwhere.

na ur fagbons get poverty mentaliy since u v resulted to insults.
DALE917:

Sit down there oh
While some high ranking nurses are collecting 350k per month grin grin

Re: Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary by swagguElite(m): 6:48pm On Jul 16, 2017
isaacola57:
Deep suited erroneous statement from you! ... As a lawyer from UK _tell me what law are you going to be taught there ...isn't it UK's law!

Is UK's law n regulations similar with Nigerian legislations ....we might have borrowed their principles of Equity n certain doctrines of common law ...but dat doesn't mean we operate the same legal system!

Anyone who studies abroad n wishes to practise in Nigeria _according to the Legal Practitioners Act is expected to apply for a law school programme of two years _instead of one year applicable to law students who studied in Nigeria!

The reason for the additional months for abroad law students is for them to be grinded with the flour of our local laws n legislations! i.e they spend one year learning what Nigerian law students spent 5 years learning in their various universities! _So tell me what's the essence of studying law abroad if yuar still coming back to practise in Nigeria!

But in this case! _she attended her law school in the UK _a reasonable person should have laid his thoughts into practising in the UK! ..Nd not in Nigeria!

Except she came with an intention of using her abroad education to influence law chambers into granting her a big position n heavy steroid pills of money as her salaries! _We are lawyers we are aware of the banes of studying abroad n coming to practice in Nigeria! _so there is no way yuar in a better position than a Nigerian law student well groomed in our laws for 5years in the university n 1year in the Nigerian Law school!

Thus; you should know that it could be a different result for other departments such as political science or sociology to study abroad n be treated specially when he or she returns back home! _In law it is quite very different! _Bro!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

University Of Maiduguri Student Removes Shoes To Enter Lecturer's Office / How I Survived Last Semester” – University Student Hides Soup Inside Toothpaste / A Lady Bitten To Death By Snake In UMYU, Katsina (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.