Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,770 members, 7,813,554 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389745 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Anahi(f): 9:12am On Feb 22, 2018
@mackynaija
Please do people get offers for assistantship (research or graduate) before resumption or it has to be after the first semester.

This is wrt industrial engineering program.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:13am On Feb 22, 2018
Anahi:
@mackynaija
Please do people get offers for assistantship (research or graduate) before resumption or it has to be after the first semester.

This is wrt industrial engineering program.
For now, there is very little fund in this department. Zero your mind on that but mechanical and environmental has projects ongoing so they fund their students.

Remember there are limited on-campus jobs here too.

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:38am On Feb 22, 2018
Around September last year, a student that just returned from internship told me that by the start of my second semester, I'd realise all ths effort and reading I did during that semester was an overkill...

I kind of agree with him.

I have soft pedaled to a safe level,
1. less stressful reading - I use ako na uche now when doing school work. It is not the hardwork but the smart work that counts.

2. I have started going to use the gym. I need to further tone up my body, not for health reasons - babes need to see a few muscles in the right places.

3. I get lazy doing the online dating thing, one week I go there to meet chics then I stay off for the next two to three weeks - all the heated discussion cools off withint my absence and I need to start from level zero again.
That hasn't stopped them from doing the chasing, met a few that were bold enough to message. They are kinda direct and I like it - very little room for pretence. Let's see how it goes.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:47am On Feb 22, 2018
4. I am very engaged now in on-campus volunteer activities, last semester I was too engrossed with school work.
I have done two already - cleaning the city park and being an assistant during the Engineering STEAM (science, tech, engineering, art and math) event.
I have another volunteer activity coming up by Friday.

5. I attend to issues of spirituality more than I previously did, only Oluwa can guide and keep someone in a foreign land.
Almost completed 7 months in this land and I am grateful to God everything has been moving forward. I am not in the most comfortable situation but I am also not in a bad situation.

31 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:53am On Feb 22, 2018
On internship...

The search has been a rough one. 3 years ago, while going through job sites in the US I always thought jobs were some of the easiest things to come by - boy I was wrong.

It is a battle, I have applied to well over 100 companies and the reject mails keep coming in. Most ads explicitly state - applicants must have unrestricted work authorization OR this job does not provide sponsorship now or in the future.

It wasn't like this in the past - an uncertain immigration policy makes employers want to save themselves for the hassles of filing for employees but I ask 'shey this is just an internship and not a full-time position'?

7 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:54am On Feb 22, 2018
From a few applications on which I have progressed past submitting my resume, they reply...

'An internship has ths potential to land one a full-time position post graduation' so they don't see any sense in training someone they cannot absorb after graduation.

This part is true, people still get and some here are rumored to have gotten offers from companies they interned with.

I am still optimistic something will come up for me - I'll keep pushing till I clinch one.

18 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by RexCheeng: 7:17pm On Feb 22, 2018
MackyNaija:
From a few applications on which I have progressed past submitting my resume, they reply...

'An internship has ths potential to land one a full-time position post graduation' so they don't see any sense in training someone they cannot absorb after graduation.

This part is true, people still get and some here are rumored to have gotten offers from companies they interned with.

I am still optimistic something will come up for me - I'll keep pushing till I clinch one.

Your optimism is contagious! When I despair or get frustrated at the time it's taking to receive admission decisions, I just remind myself that this is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure something will pan out for you. Definitely!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by orbis(m): 10:50pm On Feb 22, 2018
MackyNaija:

What about those your guys in OKC....they could connect you to some temp jobs. How do you wanna regularize your kpali after you grad?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Anahi(f): 12:42pm On Feb 23, 2018
Thanks a lot.
MackyNaija:

For now, there is very little fund in this department. Zero your mind on that but mechanical and environmental has projects ongoing so they fund their students.

Remember there are limited on-campus jobs here too.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by giripaman: 4:59pm On Feb 23, 2018
MackyNaija:

Bro, nice thread and thanks for all the information. I'm trying to apply and I need to pay my application fee to submit my application but it seems I can't pay with my Mastercard only money order and cheque. How do I go about it? Thanks
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by 30watts: 5:26pm On Feb 23, 2018
Which school are you applying to? Is the school in Texas?

giripaman:

Bro, nice thread and thanks for all the information. I'm trying to apply and I need to pay my application fee to submit my application but it seems I can't pay with my Mastercard only money order and cheque. How do I go about it? Thanks
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by giripaman: 5:50pm On Feb 23, 2018
30watts:
Which school are you applying to? Is the school in Texas?

Yes boss. Texas A&M
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by 30watts: 5:57pm On Feb 23, 2018
Which of the Texas A & M ? Meanwhile, if you apply via applytexas.com (I guess all schools in Texas use the site) you can pay with your GTB mastercard. That's what I used for my application to Texas A and M commerce.

giripaman:

Yes boss. Texas A&M

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by giripaman: 6:04pm On Feb 23, 2018
30watts:
Which of the Texas A & M ? Meanwhile, if you apply via applytexas.com (I guess all schools in Texas use the site) you can pay with your GTB mastercard. That's what I used for my application to Texas A and M commerce.

Texas A&M university and yes I'm applying through applytexas. Couldn't find the MasterCard option.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by yhuci(m): 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2018
Please I need a piece of advice. Someone was denied the f1 visa cos she didn't have strong ties in Nigeria. What possible ties are they looking for? Is it not a student visa? I'm not understanding abeg mek pesin clear me.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by lionlee216(m): 2:36pm On Feb 24, 2018
MackyNaija:
On internship...

The search has been a rough one. 3 years ago, while going through job sites in the US I always thought jobs were some of the easiest things to come by - boy I was wrong.

It is a battle, I have applied to well over 100 companies and the reject mails keep coming in.?

Yes I understand how it feels. You just have to start from a scratch and climb the ladder and we will soon get there bro

Success

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Addy9: 11:47am On Feb 25, 2018
honestly I've been having a nice long reading this thread but will like to know how long it took you to process the visa boss?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:56pm On Feb 25, 2018
RexCheeng:

Your optimism is contagious! When I despair or get frustrated at the time it's taking to receive admission decisions, I just remind myself that this is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure something will pan out for you. Definitely!

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Thanks man. smiley

orbis:

What about those your guys in OKC....they could connect you to some temp jobs. How do you wanna regularize your kpali after you grad?
You my man, you are a baddd man. cheesy
Okc to Tamuk is about 10hours, 'even if' I wanted to run off-campus sh*t, This one no follow for option.

About the kpali, there are no commitments to anyone back home so I am still searching for love here.
Women plenty but how many get head??

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:59pm On Feb 25, 2018
yhuci:
Please I need a piece of advice. Someone was denied the f1 visa cos she didn't have strong ties in Nigeria. What possible ties are they looking for? Is it not a student visa? I'm not understanding abeg mek pesin clear me.

My best advice - let the person apply again.
I sometimes see a denial of this sort as nothing serious but a ploy to collect double visa application fees from that person, makes me view myself as not having any real problem that caused the denial.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:00pm On Feb 25, 2018
lionlee216:

Yes I understand how it feels. You just have to start from a scratch and climb the ladder and we will soon get there bro

Success

I am trying to avoid the oil and gas industry in it's entirety, getting a job here in this sector is the easiest for me based on my experience that is applicable worldwide.

I'll keep pushing and something will definitely come through.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by orbis(m): 8:08pm On Feb 25, 2018
MackyNaija:

I am trying to avoid the oil and gas industry in it's entirety, getting a job here in this sector is the easiest for me based on my experience that is applicable worldwide.

I'll keep pushing and something will definitely come through.
Lol...where you wan push enter again na.
You don forget ad e sweet you when you see your guys for OKC chowing oil and gas money.
I no blame you sha....na so we take jump train when they started laying off fracking workers when oil price tanked.
Which area you wan enter?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:27pm On Feb 25, 2018
orbis:

Lol...where you wan push enter again na.
You don forget ad e sweet you when you see your guys for OKC chowing oil and gas money.
I no blame you sha....na so we take jump train when they started laying off fracking workers when oil price tanked.
Which area you wan enter?
Fracking still make sense here, one na M/LWD (no serious loggin happening where he works - just gamma) and the other na Fracking but na operator (almost concluded his move to MLWD).

If I see job for flow station (production work) I go collect. As for 'upstream', my hand no deh.

Just imagine bush work for December and January cold.. E nor make sense since blood money no deh involved again.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:29pm On Feb 25, 2018
@Orbis. Other sectors, manufacturing, health care, oil and gas (not upstream), transportation... In short Industrial engineering has vast applications.

I no follow una do petroleum again, the heartbreak no nice. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by orbis(m): 8:43pm On Feb 25, 2018
MackyNaija:

Fracking still make sense here, one na M/LWD (no serious loggin happening where he works - just gamma) and the other na Fracking but na operator (almost concluded his move to MLWD).

If I see job for flow station (production work) I go collect. As for 'upstream', my hand no deh.

Just imagine bush work for December and January cold.. E nor make sense since blood money no deh involved again.

Yeah e still make sense but watin man go do when price again. The future no even too bright for oil with all these Tesla cars and truck coming onboard.
Field work no make sense for this cold biko....but you go shock when you see some white guys with only three quarter shorts and no shirt working in sub zero weather. I tell them say thunder fire you....
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by yhuci(m): 9:21pm On Feb 25, 2018
MackyNaija:

My best advice - let the person apply again.
I sometimes via a denial of this sort as nothing serious but a ploy to collect double visa application fees from that person, makes me view myself as not having any real problem that caused the denial.
Thanks
@Cynthia063 come and see.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 10:39pm On Feb 25, 2018
Every Nigerian guy's dream is to work in oil company. Now you come see work you dey run.
MackyNaija:

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:41pm On Feb 26, 2018
Dremca:
Every Nigerian guy's dream is to work in oil company. Now you come see work you dey run.
This might make sense in naija since it is one of the highest paying sectors, the situation is different here.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 3:06pm On Feb 26, 2018
One man food na another man poison.
MackyNaija:

This might make sense in naija since it is one of the highest paying sectors, the situation is different here.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by lillaowow(m): 9:23pm On Feb 26, 2018
MackyNaija:

About the kpali, there are no commitments to anyone back home so I am still searching for love here.
Women plenty but how many get head??

grin grin grin grin grin

guy, that your line dey make me laff scatter floor. Those days wey i bin dey search greencard too. Now, man don almost turn citizen.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by digitsolution: 9:10am On Feb 28, 2018
lillaowow:

grin grin grin grin grin

guy, that your line dey make me laff scatter floor. Those days wey i bin dey search greencard too. Now, man don almost turn citizen.

Na Atlanta you dey?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Ediku126: 7:36pm On Mar 04, 2018
Mackynaij where at thou?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:00pm On Mar 07, 2018
Ediku126:
Mackynaij where at thou?
I deh here. tongue

This is midterm exam week, the thing hold me for neck.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.