Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389303 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by orbis(m): 12:29am On Apr 01, 2018
MackyNaija:

Better thunderstorm..
I sleep throughout the episode on Wednesday night/Thursday morning. cheesy Na small small thunder I deh hear for dream.

The splatters on the roof are mild so one cannot tell when the rain is heavy.

A friend living around the coast said they experienced tornadoes.

Na serious issue but I deh tight.
Slowly edging into the summer, the sun na wire.

Lol....we de enter tornado season pretty soon sha....the weather just de dribble us this spring. One day na hot sun, next day you go de ask "where the mess is my jacket, gaddamit". Lol...

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Josh4wod: 8:44am On Apr 05, 2018
MackyNaija:

I dont think the state matters.
Hello, why is it important to obtain an international driver license before living for the state?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:47pm On Apr 06, 2018
Josh4wod:

Hello, why is it important to obtain an international driver license before living for the state?
An international driver's license enables you drive here for up to a year I think.

I didn't do that, I used my normal license to drive here for sometime, and did the processes to acquire a Texas license.

The insurance people here start counting your experience from the date you got the US license so it makes sense to get one here as early as possible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Josh4wod: 5:36pm On Apr 06, 2018
MackyNaija:

An international driver's license enables you drive here for up to a year I think.

I didn't do that, I used my normal license to drive here for sometime, and did the processes to acquire a Texas license.

The insurance people here start counting your experience from the date you got the US license so it makes sense to get one here as early as possible.
Oh, alright. Thanks Bro.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by corrall(f): 7:58am On Apr 08, 2018
Hi bro, I am married with a family, I have an Msc from a UK university, thinking of coming for a Ph.D. Or an MBA. Do u think I can get scholarship? And I hope to apply for visa with my kids, have u seen such happen? What can you advise?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Johnolukolade(m): 1:47pm On Apr 08, 2018
corrall:
Hi bro, I am married with a family, I have an Msc from a UK university, thinking of coming for a Ph.D. Or an MBA. Do u think I can get scholarship? And I hope to apply for visa with my kids, have u seen such happen? What can you advise?

Oh well, you can look to apply for a PhD, that seem like the best option in your situation. MBA programs are usually not funded and the chances for funding is pretty low. Travelling with your kids is doable, you only need to show you are financially buoyant to have dependants while you stay in the USA. Also, you will have to get the kids their F2 I-20 from your prospective school. Stay blessed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by madridguy(m): 12:09pm On Apr 09, 2018
So interesting.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Joohan: 1:38pm On Apr 09, 2018
madridguy:
So interesting.

Interesting? You want to run abi? After voting n supporting bubu... We will all die here angry
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 9:15pm On Apr 09, 2018
MackyNaija:
The weather has been fair to me, no sun, cloudy all the way and a lil bit of rain shower between warri and Sapele.

A picture of what the weather looks like...

Currently stretching my legs at Sapele roundabout eating my kpekere and lacasera... I dread runny stomach while travelling.

Op amukpe round about...
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Geedhey(m): 12:51am On Apr 19, 2018
MackyNaija:
Just back from school...

Visited the College Hall, Office of Graduate Studies - submitted my naija uni hardcopy transcript (used softcopy for admission processing) and also my Degree Certificate.
Restrictions on my account/profile will be lifted, I can then do course registration.

Next was to the Student Union Building to get my student Identity card, was told it would be available by Orientation day or around that period.

If the I.D was given, I would have proceeded to the Library for Library I.D.

Picture below...
Bro plz does it mean u can submit your own hardcopy transcript when u get to school. instead of requesting your naija school to send them the transcript... I have just been offered addmission MS EE
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Geedhey(m): 1:41am On Apr 19, 2018
MackyNaija:

I'd prefer all our discussions remain here...

If you get admitted and ask me to pick up your i20, then you will get to know me more.

Please try to understand tho I know say I no deh make sense. smiley

Note: Weather don deh bend... undecided
Abeg wetin 50mbps, sorry 50MPH wind speed feel like??
I just saw this one too... can u help pick I-20 should I send u a pm
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:29am On Apr 19, 2018
Geedhey:

Bro plz does it mean u can submit your own hardcopy transcript when u get to school. instead of requesting your naija school to send them the transcript... I have just been offered addmission MS EE
The instruction is on the website if I am correct but I asked my school to mail it to them.

I can offer that service, how do you intend to receive it?
I'll also ask around about how people send I20's to Nigeria.

MS ElectElect is the balling department for this year's summer internship search - lots of them got Intels and some IBM spots.

Last year was Industrial Engineering getting Cummins. They also got full-time offers post internship.

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by donanod(m): 9:44am On May 05, 2018
Hi Macky, hope you’re doing well and your exams went well. It’s been a while.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:58pm On May 05, 2018
donanod:
Hi Macky, hope you’re doing well and your exams went well. It’s been a while.
Baba, I am fine. This semester is rugged just I am good.
Glad it ends in 2 weeks.

Tonight is the Society of Black Engineers dinner/send forth. wink

Hope you are good too.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Unlimited22: 11:25pm On May 05, 2018
MackyNaija:

Glad it ends in 2 weeks.

Hope you are good too.
More pictures loading wink cool
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by giga02(m): 12:24am On May 07, 2018
How I finish reading this trend in 24hours na still magic
My own question is;
1. Did you hold cash payment of you tuition fee b4 leaving Naija?
2. How much did you budget for your program cos you bought car without a job? what it part of your budget or dem dey send money from Naija come?
plz educate me cos I still dey fantasize cos all dis money you dey talk you spend no be change o.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by donanod(m): 12:06pm On May 07, 2018
MackyNaija:

Glad it ends in 2 weeks.

Hope you are good too.
Glad to hear from you Macky. Finish the semester strong Bro!!
I'm very well, thanks for asking.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:45am On May 08, 2018
Unlimited22:

More pictures loading wink cool

grin No pictures though I can get some but I don't know how people will react to their faces being shown here.

I was the MC for the ceremony. cool

A lot has been happening here, I do a lot of volunteer activities in school - a shift from the usual class to greoceris and back home.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:00pm On May 11, 2018
Some points worthy of note -

"Nothing" is sure in this life but "who no go, no know". If you make no attempt to start, your failure is confirmed. This is not a reaction but a response to a mini debate on the student visa thread that Tamuk is a "dead" school - https://www.nairaland.com/4225931/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/237#67246041.

Here's the post below but try to read the link to see the follow-up posts.
"LOL!
I thought Lamar was the name of Khloe Kardashians ex-husband. Then "Tamuk" sounds like a place in Edo state. Didnt know they were schools in the U.S.
Guys, I think we shouldn't just be focusing on getting out of the country. I think we should do it strategically. Think about your employability after the program. There are many of the schools that have been mentioned here that's worse that Unilag, so whats the point of spending ticket and tuition money and going to all these dead schools?"

My take -
I will advice anyone intending to move to the US to do it because now is the time. I delayed for 3 years and I am glad I finally did the move. The immigration policies are blood red but being here makes your future surer than it is/was in Nigeria.

There is a lot more involved in making the decision of what school to attend than a school's ranking.
As a case study, I got admitted to Auburn (around $39,000 needed per annum) and University of Houston and Tamuk (both around $27,000 per annum).

I was offered an in-state payment in UofH and Tamuk reducing annual needed funds to $19,000; abeg if you were me which of the schools would you attend when you are practically self-funded??

A lot goes into our choice of what university to attend - with Tamuk I am certain I'll achieve the ultimate goal of living a better life than I did in Nigeria.
LinkedIn is a good resource for weighing your options. Wait till when the summer interns start and do your checks.

How many Nigerian students in the US land here with the complete funds for even the First year?? We will all survive irrespective of how rugged it is. Stay Safe and MakeTheMoveNow!

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:09pm On May 11, 2018
Industrial Department - Even the gods cannot say if there is funding here, PHD students in the Sustainable engineering program are given the Teaching assistant positions. We have no undergraduate program in this dept.

Mechanical Department - Dr. X. Y. I think (or might be someone else) has funds and has 4 Nigerians as part of his Research assistants in a nuclear engineering research area (sure of this area, you all can cross reference the name and the research interest from the departments site). It is a paid position in case you are wondering.

Environmental Department - They have a windfall, there is a project currently ongoing and a friend of mine that started this Spring got a Research position (paid position in case you are wondering).

Chemical Department - No much is heard about this bunch, all we hear is that their GPA is being destroyed and thesis option students usually do an additional semester or even more. grin Some Nigerians there do a switch to Industrial Engrg. You can start in chemical, see what it feels like and towards the end of the first semester you decide if you wanna make a switch.

Electrical and Computer science - I have never heard of anyone being a TA or RA here even in-state na by the grace of God, they are flooded with students cos it's the happening sector in the country now. They did very well this period for internship search, several Intels, cummins and an IBM I know of. Most got placements, they are balling - wait for the start of the summer and do your checks on LinkedIn, go to Glassdoor and see how much they earn grin (I won't do this, I no deh like count another person money).

Civil engineering has an undergraduate class so if you get a high GPA and cry to the right people in the department, at least $200 monthly as a TA is possible. The most quiet department here.

Natural Gas - The oil and gas industry has picked in my own standards, there is a steady need for roles I did back in Nigeria and I also heard they are in need of hands in the midlands/Odessa area. The department hard sha just like Chemical. They have an undergrad class so TA is possible.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:26pm On May 11, 2018
To all the incoming students for Fall 2018 - keep worrying the graduate school and department, in-state will likely drop for you. wink

Park your bags and get set to leave. Ensure you have enough for the first year, they don't harass you to pay up during the semester but your phone will blow up by the next week after the semester ends. How do I know this? Ask google grin

Your profile will be on hold until you pay to the last dollar, without the hold being lifted you can not register for the new semester. SO use your tongue to count your teeth.

"The streets" here are inactive - it's just you and your God. cry To get side hustle hard pass Dbanj winning a grammy but somehow, we keep pushing it till graduation.

In theory this is how it works, [s]pay the first two semesters, use internship money to sort the third, owe the fourth that I hear is handed over to a collection agency at 30% interest (not sure how this process works).[/s] Graduate and go find a job to sort yourself.

Make your dream a reality! Don't loose Hope! Tamuk is waiting, the US will reward you! wink cool

I have 3 rugged exams coming up, I'm out!

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by error4040: 3:37pm On May 11, 2018
MackyNaija:
To all the incoming students for Fall 2018 - keep worrying the graduate school and department, in-state will likely drop for you. wink

Park your bags and get set to leave. Ensure you have enough for the first year, they don't harass you to pay up during the semester but your phone will blow up by the next week after the semester ends. How do I know this? Ask google grin

Your profile will be on hold until you pay to the last dollar, without the hold being lifted you can not register for the new semester. SO use your tongue to count your teeth.

"The streets" here are inactive - it's just you and your God. cry To get side hustle hard pass Dbanj winning a grammy but somehow, we keep pushing it till graduation.

In theory this is how it works, [s]pay the first two semesters, use internship money to sort the third, owe the fourth that I hear is handed over to a collection agency at 30% interest (not sure how this process works).[/s] Graduate and go find a job to sort yourself.

Make your dream a reality! Don't loose Hope! Tamuk is waiting, the US will reward you! wink cool

Now that obama image at the end is what i call savegry!!! @macky thanks for the motivational ideas man may the Almighty bless you in HUNNED folds bro.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 11, 2018
MackyNaija:

I was offered an in-state payment in UofH and Tamuk reducing annual needed funds to $19,000; abeg if you were me which of the schools would you attend when you are practically self-funded??

macky macky.
that post from that person was just funny. the replies she got really cracked me (me sef follow reply sha). the truth is we all can't attend the ivy schools. just do your best and forge ahead.

need your views on this: i was thinking on applying to industrial eng , e be like say i go shift my kaya go mechanical sharpaly (my undergrad was in petroleum though) and does the in-state scholarship apply to spring too abi na only fall.

thanks man & all the best in your exams.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by peacengine(m): 6:24pm On May 11, 2018
MackyNaija:

Bro, I enjoy this ur diary but to be honest, seeing the way you are spending dollars it's either you are from a rich home or you are a rich man. Even $5000 dollars many can't afford talkless of you saying we should pay $30000 per year grin

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Geedhey(m): 6:36pm On May 11, 2018
MackyNaija:

Hello Macky u haven't gotten the info on how to help send i-20... can u help pick up and send.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:27am On May 12, 2018
error4040:
Now that obama image at the end is what i call savegry!!! @macky thanks for the motivational ideas man may the Almighty bless you in HUNNED folds bro.
Thanks man.

nelem:
need your views on this: i was thinking on applying to industrial eng , e be like say i go shift my kaya go mechanical sharpaly (my undergrad was in petroleum though) and does the in-state scholarship apply to spring too abi na only fall.

thanks man & all the best in your exams.
Spring gets it too. It will last for Spring and Summer only. If your head fit carry thermo, fluid and dynamics then jump ship.

peacengine:
Bro, I enjoy this ur diary but to be honest, seeing the way you are spending dollars it's either you are from a rich home or you are a rich man. Even $5000 dollars many can't afford talkless of you saying we should pay $30000 per year grin
I am investing in my future.
It's not all rosy but I have managed to survive the first year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:28am On May 12, 2018
Geedhey:

Hello Macky u haven't gotten the info on how to help send i-20... can u help pick up and send.
Collecting and sending it isn't the problem. I don't know how much the post office charges and haven't been there of recent.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Yanumo(m): 4:11am On May 12, 2018
Hey MackyNaija, I've been following your thread for the past five days now, finished 1-30 in 8hrs, nice insights and inspirations, great job you doing.

My questions are;
- What's the best way to switch schools for a f1 visa student?
- The steps to get my F1 visa renewed in US
- The best job platform to get a good side hustle.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Olalekank(m): 4:29am On May 12, 2018
mackynaija. I want to ask, are there on campus accommodation for MSC?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:15pm On May 12, 2018
Olalekank:
mackynaija. I want to ask, are there on campus accommodation for MSC?
Yes, the school hostels also house Msc student but it costs more.
Less privacy, you use a common kitchen, you'll need to leave at the end of the semester.

Yanumo:

My questions are;
- What's the best way to switch schools for a f1 visa student?
- The steps to get my F1 visa renewed in US
- The best job platform to get a good side hustle.
Get the I20 of both schools, tell the school that has your Sevis record to transfer it to the new one.
*I think* your I20 keeps being renewed provided you remain in status. Example, needing to do an internship that extends your program beyond the validity of your visa, they renew your I20 and that can keep you here.

Read up on Uscis site to find out more, I have very limited knowledge about that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Yanumo(m): 6:11pm On May 12, 2018
MackyNaija:

Get the I20 of both schools, tell the school that has your Sevis record to transfer it to the new one.

Read up on Uscis site to find out more, I have very limited knowledge about that.

Thanks MackyNaija got one more what advantages does your Texas driver's license gives over IDP
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:14pm On May 12, 2018
Yanumo:

Thanks MackyNaija got one more what advantages does your Texas driver's license gives over IDP
Your US driving experience begins to count from the day you get a Yankee license.

Insurance companies take this into consideration when giving you a quote.

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.