Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,301 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (77) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389175 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by kroger: 10:51pm On Aug 10, 2020
MackyNaija:

Doing good, hope you are too.

You can never get used to it if you were not born here or if this wasn't your first landing spot on entering the US.

Me wey don buy gas $1.70 for Texas, how I wan take get used to $3.50 per gallon?? cry

My guys for Texas and Oklahoma still deh pay $600-$900 for rent. My own na $2,200 for 1bedroom... Abeg how I wan take manage this one!?? angry

I try not to complain about it More Than 5 times DAILY cheesy
Na to comot I deh work on now, complaining does not change anything.

Macky baba how your side.. You still dey California dey pay $2,200 grin Abeg port go texas, GA, MD or any other place cheaper.. Take action
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 10, 2020
Paccus:

If your GPA is above 3.0.. try Omscs by Georgia tech.. $7k for a masters from a top school like Georgia tech is good deal and the acceptance rate is very high about 70-80%, the question be say you fit carry the load??

The problem is my wife lives and work in philly. So just moving to go school in a marriage that we have barely spent 2 months straight in the last 4 years. So my sentiments are if i can pursue a second degree in Philadelphia, then i can know i have a stand too for prospective tech works. I like dollar too ooo grin grin
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 10, 2020
MackyNaija:

Congratulations on your "Almost a permanent resident" status, e no easy!

The only academic importance of your Nigerian GPA is for it to be coverted to a US GPA that's high enough to get you an admission in the US.

Your bachelors is juicy for the US market, na coding proficiency remain.

The major issue is - how good are you at coding?
Cybersecurity as I have read is another headache, they require mountain years of experience and certifications even for Entry jobs

Even failure analysis engineer job I see over the weekend deh ask for expertise in 1 programming language. Thunder fire them grin
I sabi programming like that naim I never go hustle Software Engineer job?? cheesy

Thanks big man, it wasn’t easy at all with USCIS and nvc requirements and fees, but I’m almost done.I have a scrap idea about java and php, but i can always brush up and be good. I’m just scared if i would be able to do msc with the result. Godbless you for all your hardwork here.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Drenimarcus(m): 11:18pm On Aug 10, 2020
smiley
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:42am On Aug 11, 2020
kroger:

Macky baba how your side.. You still dey California dey pay $2,200 grin Abeg port go texas, GA, MD or any other place cheaper.. Take action
Abeg no deh remind me about that price cry

My guy deh pay $1800 for studio, him no even fit complain - no need grin

Working on it, did some certifications - most recent one completed 3days ago. Job application has been on full gear and it will be fruitful.

3 or 4 weeks back, one company cancelled an interview on the morning we scheduled it after anticipating for 2 weeks... The thing pain me wella.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:45am On Aug 11, 2020
Iamshiizy:

The problem is my wife lives and work in philly. So just moving to go school in a marriage that we have barely spent 2 months straight in the last 4 years. So my sentiments are if i can pursue a second degree in Philadelphia, then i can know i have a stand too for prospective tech works. I like dollar too ooo grin grin

I know two people whose wives are in the military and they don't live together.
If you have a legit reason to live separately - school, work etc - you can get away with it.
Your house addresses need to be same and proof you go see her frequently is fine too.

Uscis fit sense legit from illegit marriage, no stress yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by lordally(m): 8:07am On Aug 11, 2020
kroger:

Hey bro long time, I have been super duper busy lately.. I got your quote and decided to respond. Hope i never miss much..

It's actually an old post you commented on which I've read jawe....I just say make I hala u
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 8:29am On Aug 11, 2020
Iamshiizy:

Omscs is fully online but you receive exact same degree as people on Campus you can do it anywhere in the US.. there is also oms analytics if you are interested in data analyst/science roles.. Cybersecurity from what I have read value experience and certifications far more than degree.. having a masters without experience from helpdesk, network technician etc is almost a waste.. if you want to do Cybersecurity go and start from CCNA

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 11, 2020
Paccus:
Omscs is fully online but you receive exact same degree as people on Campus you can do it anywhere in the US.. there is also oms analytics if you are interested in data analyst/science roles.. Cybersecurity from what I have read value experience and certifications far more than degree.. having a masters without experience from helpdesk, network technician etc is almost a waste.. if you want to do Cybersecurity go and start from CCNA

Thanks for the advice. Let me start working on it sir, thanks a lot
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by kroger: 3:20pm On Aug 11, 2020
MackyNaija:

Abeg no deh remind me about that price cry

My guy deh pay $1800 for studio, him no even fit complain - no need grin

Working on it, did some certifications - most recent one completed 3days ago. Job application has been on full gear and it will be fruitful.

3 or 4 weeks back, one company cancelled an interview on the morning we scheduled it after anticipating for 2 weeks... The thing pain me wella.

Just keep on pushing the job go come definitely... Which certification did you take?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by kroger: 3:21pm On Aug 11, 2020
Iamshiizy:

Thanks for the advice. Let me start working on it sir, thanks a lot

Are you looking at cyber security??
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 6:55pm On Aug 11, 2020
kroger:

Are you looking at cyber security??

Yes sir, or even a new bsc in software engineering.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by pcbo: 1:23am On Aug 12, 2020
Iamshiizy:

Georgia Tech's OMCS Program (https://omscs.gatech.edu/) is entirely online and is just $7000 for a masters degree in CS. Since you have an undergraduate degree in CS.You can find a job if you're good at coding.For FAANG jobs ,you must be good at leetcode(https://leetcode.com/discuss/general-discussion/460599/blind-75-leetcode-questions)

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by kroger: 2:23am On Aug 12, 2020
Iamshiizy:

Yes sir, or even a new bsc in software engineering.

For cyber security you can check out www.cybrary.it if you haven't.. Start with CCNA then security +.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by dustydee: 9:16am On Aug 12, 2020
Any takers?

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 12, 2020
pcbo:

Georgia Tech's OMCS Program (https://omscs.gatech.edu/) is entirely online and is just $7000 for a masters degree in CS. Since you have an undergraduate degree in CS.You can find a job if you're good at coding.For FAANG jobs ,you must be good at leetcode(https://leetcode.com/discuss/general-discussion/460599/blind-75-leetcode-questions)

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 12, 2020
kroger:

For cyber security you can check out www.cybrary.it if you haven't.. Start with CCNA then security +.

Thanks
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 16, 2020
Big man, how can i contact you privately abeg.
kroger:

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Viper2205: 1:38pm On Aug 16, 2020
Iamshiizy:

Big man, followed this thread judiciously, I’m at the verge of completing my Ir1 visa, infact I’ve completed the nvc stage, if not for covid19, I’ll already be in the US i have a Bsc in computer science from futa, though a 2.2 ... haven’t really worked with it in the last 5 years since graduation, i just dey street dey run various businesses. So my wife hinted upon getting to the states, i should get an msc from temple university, drexel university or even penn state, in software engineering. I like the idea and feel i can bag good grades and something in Silicon Valley in the coming years, do you think i have any chance with my low bsc grades ?, or i can kuku start again... computer engineering (4 years) try to get a perfect gpa, then proceed to fight for Msc in cyber security or any othere reliable field (2 years). I kindly need your input sir, big ups ������

Go germany baba
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 16, 2020
Viper2205:

Go germany baba
How i wan do that one na grin grin grin
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Viper2205: 6:22pm On Aug 16, 2020
Iamshiizy:

How i wan do that one na grin grin grin

You will need some pots of money in your bank account sir for you to be eligible
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 10:44pm On Aug 16, 2020
Viper2205:

You will need some pots of money in your bank account sir for you to be eligible
make him leave him wife for USA, go find wetin for Germany??
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Viper2205: 10:59pm On Aug 16, 2020
Paccus:
make him leave him wife for USA, go find wetin for Germany??
To hustle for EGO enthusiastically
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by braindee(m): 1:59am On Aug 20, 2020
Richdee1:

Did u still go for the MSC? in social work??

No, I did not. Do you have foreign MSc opportunities for me? Preferrably with scholarship
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Richdee1(m): 3:25pm On Aug 20, 2020
braindee:

No, I did not. Do you have foreign MSc opportunities for me? Preferrably with scholarship

Why not look towards Canada Schools.
There are Scholarship for Foreign Social Work students. Just use Google
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by kroger: 8:18pm On Aug 20, 2020
Iamshiizy:

Thanks

Boss where you the one that sent me an email some days back??
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by braindee(m): 7:48am On Aug 21, 2020
Richdee1:

Why not look towards Canada Schools.
There are Scholarship for Foreign Social Work students. Just use Google

Okay. Thanks
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Thayoreey: 6:32pm On Aug 27, 2020
Pls Mr Macky, I'd like to go for a masters in instrumentation & control/automation. What's the career prospect like in the us?
PS: I'm a mechanical engineering graduate.

MackyNaija:

I know two people whose wives are in the military and they don't live together.
If you have a legit reason to live separately - school, work etc - you can get away with it.
Your house addresses need to be same and proof you go see her frequently is fine too.

Uscis fit sense legit from illegit marriage, no stress yourself.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 9:14pm On Oct 22, 2020
With the recent happenings in Naira, Mackynaija I want to congratulate you again, you really left at the right time

10 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:47am On Oct 31, 2020
Paccus:
With the recent happenings in Naira, Mackynaija I want to congratulate you again, you really left at the right time
On one hand I am glad and on the other hand I am heavily frustrated.

Roughly 15years ago, Vision20 for year 2020 looked like a scam to me...
I thought, "there is no say these politicians will not achieve all these by 2020", why not set the target year to 2011 or 2014?

Boy! I was soooo wrong!

Na here this discussion go end - I avoid discussing politics and religion, sometimes e deh make my head boil, most times e deh end for frustration.

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:50am On Oct 31, 2020
Thayoreey:
Pls Mr Macky, I'd like to go for a masters in instrumentation & control/automation. What's the career prospect like in the us?
PS: I'm a mechanical engineering graduate.

Sorry I have been busy for the last six months repackaging myself, now wey the matter don pure, I am back.

I have almost no knowledge about this field but I have so much trust in the United States - Most times your hustle go pay.

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:58am On Oct 31, 2020
Paccus:
I get many gist for Una but this would be an inappropriate time to post them.
I have Stopped watching the news - Cnn n Fox report the news like it's info is gotten from two different united states,
stopped reading about politics home n abroad - naija politics worst past America own,
deleted Twitter and LinkedIn yesterday - those apps wan gimme high bp...

I'll try to be selective and talk about career related matters. Now no be time to show off a Tesla..

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.