Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,030 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389330 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by yemiosinbajo: 6:09am On Oct 31, 2020
MackyNaija:

I get many gist for Una but this would be an inappropriate time to post them.
I have Stopped watching the news - Cnn n Fox report the news like it's info is gotten from two different united states,
stopped reading about politics home n abroad - naija politics worst past America own,
deleted Twitter and LinkedIn yesterday - those apps wan gimme high bp...

I'll try to be selective and talk about career related matters. Now no be time to show off a Tesla..

Omg, you deleted LinkedIn?!! The number 1 app for networking!! How e take dey give you bp?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:23am On Oct 31, 2020
yemiosinbajo:

Omg, you deleted LinkedIn?!! The number 1 app for networking!! How e take dey give you bp?
I'll try to summarize.. cheesy

The amount of juicy jobs I keep seeing there daily makes me keep second guessing my career moves Meanwhile I am in a relatively good position.

I delete the "nonsense"! Though I just got a new job from there. grin
Comparison is a thief of joy!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:32am On Oct 31, 2020
Immediately the worldwide lockdowns were announced, I created a 6 month plan on how to save myself.

Partly from economic uncertainties associated with the virus and a dissatisfaction with my Engineer I position - my company catch me for cheap because I had no prior Yankee work experience.

In the midst of the ginger to deliver myself, our most senior engineer retired - likely had over 60years experience in the industry.
What did my company do? They gave me 60% of his tasks - me? Still at Engineer I? cry

In my head - these people go soon know what's up. grin

Gtg sleep. Tomorrow we continue..

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:35am On Oct 31, 2020
yemiosinbajo:

If I could quit trading stocks and my beloved cryptos kiss kiss kiss to focus on my plans...
Who be LinkedIn?? grin grin grin

13 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Tunmise100(m): 8:53am On Oct 31, 2020
Tesla !!!! grin

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by smartkester(m): 10:00am On Oct 31, 2020
MackyNaija:
Immediately the worldwide lockdowns were announced, I created a 6 month plan on how to save myself.

Partly from economic uncertainties associated with the virus and a dissatisfaction with my Engineer I position - my company catch me for cheap because I had no prior Yankee work experience.

In the midst of the ginger to deliver myself, our most senior engineer retired - likely had over 60years experience in the industry.
What did my company do? They gave me 60% of his tasks - me? Still at Engineer I? cry

wow!, Please, bro come and continue all the gists, we need credible information as well for us aspiring to leave Nigeria. Information is power and that's all we need on this thread, I must commend you're doing greatly well for yourself. Kindly enlighten us more on career path. I studied Chemical Engineering and an Msc in view in the same discipline but no work experience yet. I really need to jet out of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:09pm On Oct 31, 2020
As the thread title says -
What I say here is from my opinions borne out of what I have seen + heard and my personal experiences.

American employers love their education and job experience. The more of these you acquire, the juicer you become. Don't listen to anyone that says it's impossible to get ahead in America, do what is required and it will push your career ahead.

Current students, try to get an internship. I'll drop my resume here this weekend - one page long that includes anything remotely related to the role I was interested in. *Format it to appeal to your field.

Loaded the resume to the brim grin and was ready to defend everything written in it. Some things inside na partially dagbo! grin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:17pm On Oct 31, 2020
smartkester:
Kindly enlighten us more on career path. I studied Chemical Engineering and an Msc in view in the same discipline but no work experience yet. I really need to jet out of Nigeria.
Mechanical, Electrical and Industrial engineer can get jobs as F1/H1b. Salaries are usually similar for an average company.

Chemical engineering requires residency or citizenship. Fewer people in the job market and they Get paid more.

Civil or Environmental means you'd be hustling for limited jobs in this field with US Citizens, ample supply of manpower.

Everybody can be a software engineer, the field is hot! They have room for anyone and everyone. But you sabi code?? Base Salaries are 1.5 to 2 times that of regular Industrial engineers.
Total compensation could be 3times higher. Just know how to code and be able to pass the interviews.

Choose your battles wisely and fight them.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Tunmise100(m): 5:58pm On Oct 31, 2020
@MackyNaija, are you currently on F1-OPT or H1B?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Drenimarcus(m): 7:03pm On Oct 31, 2020
Macky is back.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Froshloaded: 9:46pm On Oct 31, 2020
MackyNaija:

. Now no be time to show off a Tesla..

Congrats bro
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:25pm On Oct 31, 2020
Tunmise100:
@MackyNaija, are you currently on F1-OPT or H1B?
Nope, US permanent resident. I hardly remember I am one. cheesy Na USC status my eyes deh look now.
That one no mean say I no understand the struggles of F1 holders.

Tunmise100:
Tesla !!!! grin
Froshloaded:

Congrats bro
Two people wey the bait catch. "A" different from "My" grin

I have several pictures for posting but we deh mourn Nigerians murdered at Lekki. cry Pictures go come after November 20th.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 12:19am On Nov 01, 2020
MackyNaija:

Welcome back Boss, Fire on abeg.. Hadampson, Senior man is back oo

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by nigeriainfo: 6:03am On Nov 03, 2020
Hello my people, I Dey do Naira ooo 1$/420 but can still go up if you want do plenty. Thanks
I Dey New York
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Abatemtem(m): 1:18pm On Nov 03, 2020
Oga Macky
We never see the resume...abeg no forget us
MackyNaija:
As the thread title says -
What I say here is from my opinions borne out of what I have seen + heard and my personal experiences.

American employers love their education and job experience. The more of these you acquire, the juicer you become. Don't listen to anyone that says it's impossible to get ahead in America, do what is required and it will push your career ahead.

Current students, try to get an internship. I'll drop my resume here this weekend - one page long that includes anything remotely related to the role I was interested in. *Format it to appeal to your field.

Loaded the resume to the brim grin and was ready to defend everything written in it. Some things inside na partially dagbo! grin
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Hadampson(m): 3:02pm On Nov 04, 2020
Paccus:

Welcome back Boss, Fire on abeg.. Hadampson, Senior man is back oo

For real shocked
Thanks bro for calling me here. Mackynaija wetin you bring come for your boy o. We dey wait for long updates, no disappoint us abeg smiley

NiklauseFred
subomi007
Jizzyjordan
danny6552
skylane
lamboladee
Richdee1
SaintHillary
vhuqnl
Joohan

Mackynaija is back smiley
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Hadampson(m): 3:14pm On Nov 04, 2020
MackyNaija:

Nope, US permanent resident. I hardly remember I am one. cheesy Na USC status my eyes deh look now.
That one no mean say I no understand the struggles of F1 holders.

Two people wey the bait catch. "A" different from "My" grin

I have several pictures for posting but we deh mourn Nigerians murdered at Lekki. cry Pictures go come after November 20th.

Anticipation mode activated cool

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 04, 2020
Hadampson:

For real shocked
Thanks bro for calling me here. Mackynaija wetin you bring come for your boy o. We dey wait for long updates, no disappoint us abeg smiley

NiklauseFred
subomi007
Jizzyjordan
danny6552
skylane
lamboladee
Richdee1
SaintHillary
vhuqnl
Joohan

make we day observe
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by skylane: 3:53pm On Nov 04, 2020
Hadampson:

For real shocked

NiklauseFred
subomi007
Jizzyjordan
danny6552
skylane
lamboladee
Richdee1
SaintHillary
vhuqnl
Joohan

thanks for the mention boss, macky Na who hide you trump?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:20pm On Nov 04, 2020
skylane:
thanks for the mention boss, macky Na who hide you trump?
Na Trump I deh support oo, e be like say him no go win. cry

Hadampson:

For real shocked
Baba, people wey need epp for naija don collect everything o. Me sef need. embarassed

Abatemtem:
Oga Macky
We never see the resume...abeg no forget us
Will do that today.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:47pm On Nov 04, 2020
Attached is the 99% exact resume I used in applying to approx 30 companies.
No talk say you no see the ".docx file". Look well..

Heard back positively from maybe 5 (Fronti3r, Pl3xus, 4pple, Hyv3 and Av1at), many from Link3dIn I rejected, mostly not among the 30 I applied to.

In summary,
1 cancelled on d morning of the scheduled interview
1 ghosted, no interview scheduled
Interviewed with 3, got 1 and half (half mean say them still never gimme offer and no gree send me reject email) cheesy
The confirmed reject asked me last wednesday to interview for another team - I'm Not Interested, the process is tiring! smiley

In reality the story is longerrrrr, will find time to elaborate.

Gtg... I don late for work!!! shocked

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by DisGuy: 6:13pm On Nov 04, 2020
Na you biko!! @ MackyNaija!!

see CV abeg!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:53pm On Nov 04, 2020
DisGuy:
Na you biko!! @ MackyNaija!!

see CV abeg!
Just like Chelsea FC - "Pack the damn bus"!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by skylane: 6:40am On Nov 05, 2020
MackyNaija:
Na Trump I deh support oo, e be like say him no go win. cry

Baba, people wey need epp for naija don collect everything o. Me sef need. embarassed

Will do that today.
no wahalah welcome back my brother
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Abatemtem(m): 12:57pm On Nov 05, 2020
This is living the dream man cheesy
MackyNaija:
* Try to make very good grades.

- It shows seriousness and dedication on your part. A masters + high grades? We need to hire this one!

- Competition is fierce. If two candidates are almost equal, hiring managers will find how to differentiate between them. A gpa can be used.

- An interview I attended in July, 5 man panel...
1 of the seniorrr engineers kept making reference to the Gpa over the course of an hour. smiley Each time he mentions it, I blow my trumpet! cheesy
Got an offer in 24 working hours.

- American babes will see your bright future, they will love you! kiss kiss kiss
My wife, her mama, papa, aunties, grandma and the entire family all deh reason - 'this guy is so smart, he will definitely end up at NAsA'. grin

- You'll feel indestructible. If you can blast in your Masters, what else is impossible?? Nothing!
You go use that same high Gpa that begets high morale do deh do heavy and high things. cheesy You'll march into any company like say na your papa get am. grin
Add $300 suit join sha - Most interviews wey I go, I go dia go oppress them! Jobless marafacka but I dress pass the company GM. cheesy cool grin

Before I forget - internship and job seekers, go on Youtub3 and watch All the videos of 'ch33ky scient1st'. You'll understand very well how to package yourself for job hunting.

I'm out! Breakz ova! cool

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by NiklauseFred(m): 8:50pm On Nov 05, 2020
Hadampson:

For real shocked

NiklauseFred
subomi007
Jizzyjordan
danny6552
skylane
lamboladee
Richdee1
SaintHillary
vhuqnl
Joohan

Wawu! Lemme hop right in cool

Thanks mann
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by UtilityRational(m): 11:04pm On Nov 06, 2020
MackyNaija:

Heard back positively from maybe 5 (Fronti3r, Pl3xus, 4pple, Hyv3 and Av1at), many from Link3dIn I rejected, mostly not among the 30 I applied to.

In summary,
Interviewed with 3, got 1 and half (half mean say them still never gimme offer and no gree send me reject email) cheesy
The confirmed reject asked me last wednesday to interview for another team - I'm Not Interested, the process is tiring! smiley

macky oyibo no want refereces, volunteer and awards/acheivement ni grin cheesy wink
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Abatemtem(m): 2:18am On Nov 07, 2020
Thanks a lot sir.
MackyNaija:

In summary,

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:34am On Nov 07, 2020
UtilityRational:

macky oyibo no want refereces, volunteer and awards/acheivement ni grin cheesy wink
I used some lines of awards and volunteer experiences while I was still a student.

You'll be addressed the way you package your resume, post graduation I changed tactics.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:56am On Nov 07, 2020
I worked for a little over a year with my first employer.

Initially when I started, being fresh outta school and highly gingered, I had so much strength to deliver but was given very few tasks to do - I thought this was how the job would be - Easy... Guess my manager was simply weighing me.
Down the line, a senior engineer always mentioned how quickly I had learned (yankee English) the job. I was exceedingly expectations.

We did Low Volume_High Mix manufacturing - what this means is the company could have 200 customers and between 1 and 100 products for each customer...
In all, the company could easily be manufacturing 5,000 different products in small/few pieces...

Why all this long talk??
When the defects with the products start, the wahala fit run person mad, too many places problems could come from.
Toooooo many places! cheesy

In an ideal situation, 1 engineer would manage 2-5 products or projects, in my case, 25 products were officially assigned to me but I was easily supporting over 100 different products...

The wahala no be here, worse still as an Engineer I. undecided

I'd summarize that as our company being under staffed since it's difficult finding people to hire in the bay area. The product was also delicate and technologically tasking, the stress was mounting.

Overall I had a great time working there, I hurriedly learned a lot in 1 year. The technology behind Electronics manufacturing is amazing! cool

18 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:19am On Nov 07, 2020
While I was working fulltime, onsite daily during the pandemic lockdown, I started writing certifications related to quality engineering - this helped me alot.

I was chasing 5 items at the time -
Taking certifications which would lead to making the move to a new job in a different state with a bigger title and more earnings.... This wouldn't be easy...

My targets were aligned in that particular order.

I prepared for and took the first Certification while applying for jobs and made my Linked1n profile open to new opportunities - it's a games of numbers, the more one applies to, the better the chances. I was qualified and an almost exact match for a bulk of the jobs I applied to but still got rejects. Companies no get joy.

Dismissed many prospects from Linked1n because they were in the Bay Area, concentrated on jobs outside and got interview 1 where they set the panel interview 3weeks out and cancelled it 2 hours before the scheduled time. They said someone they had given an offer had accepted it - unprofessional to have scheduled me while offering people the job.
This one pain me, I had left preparing for my exams for this entire job. Time wasted!

Interviewed with company 2 where 8weeks after interviewing with the VP, they keep saying they are yet to make a decision.
This opportunity almost took me back to Texas, guess it wasn't meant to be. Senior title, low cost of living.

Companies 3 and 4 came calling via linked1n and since I was So Sure of going to work for company 2 in Texas, I decided to interview with these new ones just for the exposure. They were Bay area companies, I had no interest in staying here...

Glad I didn't blow them off, I finally accepted the offer from company 4. Company 3 was Appl3, yes the almighty Apple Inc. cheesy

22 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.