Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,737 members, 7,820,542 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" (6796 Views)

Death At The Mercy Of Life - The Reality Of The Resurrection Of Jesus / A Question To The Atheists: Hardmirror,hahn,hopefullandlord Et Al / Hopefullandlord And Co, I Need You Guys Take On This Issue. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 7:33pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
you've not been talking like someone who's read the book, I think you just googled now and got some info otherwise we shouldn't have had a back and forth on this from the first time I mentioned Krauss because I've said what he means by nothing is NOT what you would agree with him on, you can scroll up and see what I'm talking about

That's why you shouldn't presume my stand.

"Self-Eternal", so what's the proof that this first cause is eternal? what does "eternal" mean?
could you elucidate?

The word "Eternal" as referred to be my explanation, can be explained in a lay man's understanding, according to the context, as something that never "CAME INTO EXISTENCE, NEVER STARTED TO EXIST". In other words, God never came into existence, hence UNCAUSED.

Any idea that presents GOD as an entity that came into existence, is simply referring to a "Caused entity" and as such disqualifies itself from being an attribute of GOD, as a self eternal uncaused caused.

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 7:35pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

That's why you shouldn't presume my stand.
The word "Eternal" as referred to be my explanation, can be explained in a lay man's understanding, according to the context, as something that never "CAME INTO EXISTENCE, NEVER STARTED TO EXIST". In other words, God never came into existence, hence UNCAUSED.

Any idea that presents GOD as an entity that came into existence, is simply referring to a "Caused entity" and as such disqualify itself from being an attribute of GOD.

so what made you sure this "First Cause" is also eternal?
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 7:40pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

so what made you sure this "First Cause" is also eternal?

Simply because, if an entity that is presented to be a "first cause" is actually caused, it means it is simply "AN EFFECT TO A CAUSE". Take a bit to understand what that means before you continue.

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 7:44pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

Simply because, if an entity that is presented to be a "first cause" is actually caused, it means it is simply "AN EFFECT TO A CAUSE". Take a bit to understand what that means before you continue.

please you've said a lot without answering, what makes you so sure that whatever the first cause is is actually "eternal"
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 7:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

please you've said a lot without answering, what makes you so sure that whatever the first cause is is actually "eternal"
AN HE BEGINS RUNNING AROUND A CIRCLE!!

My answer:
Simply because, if an entity that is presented to be a "first cause" is actually caused, it means it is simply "AN EFFECT TO A CAUSE"
If this doesn't answer your question. Simply point out what I omitted. Good luck with that!

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 7:51pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

AN HE BEGINS RUNNING AROUND A CIRCLE!!

My answer:

If this doesn't answer your question. Simply point out what I omitted. Good luck with that!

please, keyword there is eternal, "uncaused" doesn't automatically lead to eternal please, you're just equivocating

2 Likes

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 8:10pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

please, keyword there is eternal, "uncaused" doesn't automatically lead to eternal please, you're just equivocating
I will take it bit by bit.

We can only associate God's eternal reality in regards to time, for God's reality to be relatable to human. Just like using "him" when referring to God.

Outside time, simply means that God is not eternal. Because, eternal has before and after.

Whereas for there to be GOD as a "First cause", there must not be a before and after. Because, he MUST BE before time. Otherwise, he must have been caused, "before" him. Which simply portrays a caused entity and not an uncaused entity.

So, my use of the term "eternal" is only valid with the scope of time. So I would be quote Charles, since he hold same view with me.

“The attribute of eternity means that God exists endlessly. His existence extends endlessly backward and forward (TAKE NOTE: from our viewpoint of time) without any interruption or limitation caused by succession of events.” – Charles Ryrie1

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 8:14pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

I take it bit by bit.

We can only associate God's eternal reality in regards to time, for God's reality to be relatable.

Outside time, simply means that God is not eternal. Because, eternal has before and after.

Whereas for there to be GOD as a "First cause", there must not be a before and after. Because, he MUST BE before time. Otherwise, he must have been caused, "before" him. Which simply portrays a caused entity and not an uncaused entity.

So, my use of the term "eternal" is only valid with the scope of time. So I would be quote Charles, since he hold same view with me.

“The attribute of eternity means that God exists endlessly. [b]His existence extends endlessly backward and forward (from our viewpoint of time) without any interruption or limitation caused by succession of events[\b].” – Charles Ryrie1

please, you're saying many things here

I'm asking why you're sure this "first cause" is eternal

I think the question is simple enough, what makes you so sure that first cause is definitely eternal?
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 8:17pm On Jul 18, 2017
So, we can only see God as eternal with a viewpoint of an entity "Time".

So, when we say that God is self eternal uncaused caused, we are simply implying an entity, which is considered eternal under the scope of time and otherwise outside the scope of time, which is the first cause of everything that has ever existed.

I hope, you cope with this. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 8:21pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:
So, we can only see God as eternal with a viewpoint of an entity "Time".

So, when we say that God is self eternal uncaused caused, we are simply implying an entity, which is considered eternal under the scope of time and otherwise outside the scope of time, which is the first cause of everything that has ever existed.

I hope, you cope with this. grin grin

please, you can define anything but do not attempt to define it into existence

what does it mean to be "outside the scope of time"?

you're still falling back to first cause, I'm asking what makes you sure that this first cause is definitely eternal, you are jumping from first cause to eternal and back without answering the question

2 Likes

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 8:23pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

please, you're saying many things here

I'm asking why you're sure this "first cause" is eternal

I think the question is simple enough, what makes you so sure that first cause is definitely eternal?
SIMPLE ANSWER:

I am inclined to believe, based on the logicality of my point, that God as an "UNCAUSED FIRST CAUSED" must be eternal because the attribute of God's eternity simply means that God exists endlessly from a view point of time. So, outside time, eternity is brought to no effect.

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 8:27pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

SIMPLE ANSWER:

I am inclined to believe, based on the logicality of my point, that God as an "UNCAUSED FIRST CAUSED" must be eternal because the attribute of God's eternity simply means that God exists endlessly from a view point of time. So, outside time, eternity is brought to no effect.

grin

please, get me clear cuz it seems I'm talking through you, "uncaused first cause" doesn't mean it has to be eternal, does it? my question is asking why this uncaused cause definitely has to be eternal, can't this uncaused cause cause something and still not be eternal? please take your time to read this post well
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 8:37pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

please, you can define anything but do not attempt to define it into existence

what does it mean to be "outside the scope of time"?

you're still falling back to first cause, I'm asking what makes you sure that this first cause is definitely eternal, you are jumping from first cause to eternal and back without answering the question

"OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF TIME" simply mean: before "SUN, STARS, MOON, DAY AND NIGHT(Seasons)" was caused INTO EFFECT. Because, "A DAY AND NIGHT" sums up the mean solar day UPON WHICH TIME CAN BE CALCULATED. That's why history could tell us, that even without a modern clock, our ancestors where able to figure out time using shadows brought into by SUN, MOON, STARS- SEASONS!

I answered why I believe the first cause to definitely eternal, with 2 different approach, before and after time.

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 8:43pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

grin

please, get me clear cuz it seems I'm talking through you, "uncaused first cause" doesn't mean it has to be eternal, does it?
It depends what you define as eternal. So I urge you to define what you mean by "eternal" in your question.

From there, I can understand your question the more around the attribute of God's eternity.

my question is asking why this uncaused cause definitely has to be eternal, can't this uncaused cause cause something and still not be eternal? please take your time to read this post well

I urge you to define what you mean by "eternal" in your question for a better comprehension.
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 8:44pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

"OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF TIME" simply mean: before "SUN, STARS, MOON, DAY AND NIGHT(Seasons)" was caused INTO EFFECT. Because, "A DAY AND NIGHT" sums up the mean solar day UPON WHICH TIME CAN BE CALCULATED. That's why history could tell us, that even without a modern clock, our ancestors where able to figure out time using shadows brought into by SUN, MOON, STARS- SEASONS!

I answered why I believe the first cause to definitely eternal, with 2 different approach, before and after time.

please, you're still defining something into existence

You have freedom to define any damn fool thing you want, but just having a definition does not allow you to assert that something matching that definition exists.

Turn the bachelor example on its head. Imagine world power headed by an orange-headed despot decides, in a fit of madness next month (just for the sake of example, you see), to have all unmarried men of age either forcibly married, or killed, Now we have a valid definition of bachelor, but no actual bachelors to apply it to.

"Definitionalist" arguments are what you're giving here "outside time" "before time" "after time"

and don't make the naive mistake of thinking time is not independent of our solar system, that's a very bad mistake to make bro grin don't let it repeat itself cheesy

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 9:00pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

please, you're still defining something into existence
What exactly is imaginary in my answer? Point them out and deny it's reality.

You have freedom to define any damn fool thing you want, but just having a definition does not allow you to assert that something matching that definition exists.
I don't know what you are referring to here. You can do better by referring to my response "word for word" and not sounding rage. Audience are following, take note.

Turn the bachelor example on its head. Imagine world power headed by an orange-headed despot decides, in a fit of madness next month (just for the sake of example, you see), to have all unmarried men of age either forcibly married, or killed, Now we have a valid definition of bachelor, but no actual bachelors to apply it to.

This is outside the argument. I don't know what you are referring to in this. Anything? Point them out from my comments, "word-for-word".

"Definitionalist" arguments are what you're giving here "outside time" "before time" "after time"
Only if you can prove to me that time is not some empirical to be calculated, hence my response up there. If you couldn't containing mentally, you can actually ask me to simplify grin grin grin .

What I answered up there is pretty clear, point "word-for-word" on what I said that. Then, I wouldn't mind simplifying.

and don't make the naive mistake of thinking time is not independent of our solar system, that's a very bad mistake to make bro grin don't let it repeat itself cheesy

A FACT: Time can't be alone as an entity, it MUST be dependent on something(seasons) upon which it can be measured. I DARE YOU TO REFUTE IT!!

Time is dependent on seasons, that's why seasons could be used to determine time in the olden days, when there is no modern clock and time measuring systems, which a brought into effect by the activities of the sun, moon and stars!

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 9:02pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

What exactly is imaginary in my answer? Point them out and deny it's reality.

I don't know what you are referring to here. You can do better by referring to my response "word for word" and not sounding rage. Audience are following, take note.

This is outside the argument. I don't know what you are referring to in this. Anything? Point them out from my comments, "word-for-word".

Only if you can prove to me that time is not some empirical to be calculated, hence my response up there. If you couldn't containing mentally, you can actually ask me to simplify grin grin grin .

What I answered up there is pretty clear, point "word-for-word" on what I said that. Then, I wouldn't mind simplifying.

[b]A FACT: Time can't be alone as an entity, it MUST be dependent on something(seasons) upon which it can be measured. I DARE YOU TO REFUTE IT!!/b]

Time is dependent on seasons, that's why seasons could be used to determine time in the olden days, when there is no modern clock and time measuring systems, which a brought into effect by the activities of the sun, moon and stars!

please, time exists outside our solar system, Yes/No?
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 9:06pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

please, time exists outside our solar system, Yes/No?

NO!

It is measured within the effect of the solar system, "DAY AND NIGHT", brought to effect by the activities of solar bodies.
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 9:11pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

NO!

It is measured within the effect of the solar system, "DAY AND NIGHT", brought to effect by the activities of solar bodies.

Outside the solar system, Time does not exist and cannot stand to exist!!

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 9:13pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

NO!

oh uh! "time" exists everywhere in the universe
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 9:15pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

oh uh! "time" exists everywhere in the universe

I don't disagree with you here, because. The universe includes includes the solar bodies. So I agree with you.
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 9:15pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

I don't disagree with you here, because. The universe includes includes the solar bodies. So I agree with you.

even WITHOUT solar bodies
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 9:24pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

even WITHOUT solar bodies

Then prove that. Since I disagree.
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 9:26pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

Then prove that. Since I disagree.

Space and time go together, one doesn't exist without the other, without solar bodies space can be present and that goes with time, its kinda complicated but I've simplified it as much as I can
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 9:40pm On Jul 18, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Space and time go together, one doesn't exist without the other, without solar bodies space can be present and that goes with time, its kinda complicated but I've simplified it as much as I can

Now, you have just messed everything up!

Space is simply means "Vaccum". There is no relationship with a "time" and a "vacuum". In a vacuum, there isn't such thing as time as it isn't so empirical to be MEASURED! Holding to a view that time exists in a Vacuum is simply IMAGINARY AND A WISHFUL THINKING!

Note: Measurement is VERY CRUCIAL while defining time.

What you pointed to is an "Immeasurably entity", and doesn't stand the quality of time, as time can be measured.

Because, anything that is called "time" MUST BE MEASURABLE , otherwise it's not time.

Allow that to sink, TIME MUST BE MEASURABLE, for it stand true of it attribute.

So, tell me how YOU can measure "time" in a "vaccum".

This is quite not reasonable. Unless, you gotta prove it to be reasonable.

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 9:46pm On Jul 18, 2017
When you talk about solar system, you talk about EVENTS. And that's what time basically points to.

Are there events in vacuum? No!

Vacuum is just nothing but "SPACE"!

So, for time to be measured in a space, it MUST be dependent on seasons and events. And that's where Solar system comes in.
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by hopefulLandlord: 9:56pm On Jul 18, 2017
ambassagod:

Now, you have just messed everything up!

Space is simply means "Vaccum". There is no relationship with a "time" and a "vacuum". In a vacuum, there isn't such time as it isn't so empirical to be MEASURED!

Note: Measurement is VERY CRUCIAL while defining time.

What you pointed to is an "Immeasurably entity", and doesn't stand the quality of time, as time can be measured.

Because, anything that is called "time" MUST BE MEASURABLE , otherwise it's not time.

Allow that to sink, TIME MUST BE MEASURABLE, for it stand true of it attribute.

So, tell me how YOU can measure "time" in a "vaccum".

This is quite not reasonable. Unless, you gotta prove it to be reasonable.

please, admit you goofed and stop running around, a simple Google search is all you need

time is only measured with clocks, that does not mean that it doesn't exist outside it

time exists even in a "vacuum" BTW there's no such thing as the vacuum you seem to be referring to, vacuum is a region in space without any particles, such doesn't exist anywhere in our universe just like Stephen Hawkins said "Empty space isn't empty", please learn the difference between not measuring something and claiming it doesn't exist

2 Likes

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 10:32pm On Jul 18, 2017
(Sigh)What you are showing here is something that isn't reasonable and supportive to your arguments, because I agree with some of them too.

hopefulLandlord:

please, admit you goofed and stop running around, a simple Google search is all you need
I am not running around, but you.

The same google Search points me to a "measurable" entity. Hence the use of clock for modern measuring system and other older measuring systems used in the olden days.

time is only measured with clocks, that does not mean that it doesn't exist outside it

The bolded is critically false and only shows you are misinformed in your opinion.

Time is not, ONLY measurable with a clock. Because, there was no clock in the olden days, yet they could determine time from their means of measurement, like using of shadow stick. Still pointing to Solar system!! Because Time has "a measurable" quality. Otherwise, it is not time!

It could be measurable in the first place because it is based on EVENTS, SEASONS. That's why the morden clock is based on the "Mean solar day", and this is dependent on solar system.

So, for time to exist, it must be measurable, otherwise, it is not time!

For something to be believed to exist, it must stand true with it's attributes no matter it finds itself. So time is a physical entity that can be measured. Until it can be measured, it not time. But non-existent!

time exists even in a "vacuum" BTW there's no such thing as the vacuum you seem to be referring to

That's an "imaginary" entity that can't be measured. And not time.

TAKE NOTE: For there to be "time", it MUST be measurable otherwise it is not time.

, vacuum is a region in space without any particles,
Changing meaning of words is really like a custom to you. I guess though.

Vacuum is not a region in space. According to space.com, vacuum is space. Not a region! And that doesn't mean that Vacuum is empty, because it is actually has a THING. Gases and so on.

such doesn't exist anywhere in our universe just like Stephen Hawkins said "Empty space isn't empty", please learn the difference between not measuring something and claiming it doesn't exist

You are simply pointing to something outside the scope of my arguments. Where did I say "Empty space is empty"? Point that out, please.

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 10:39pm On Jul 18, 2017
Time, is a system that MUST be measurable! Otherwise, it is not time.

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 10:47pm On Jul 18, 2017
For there to be time, it must measurable and calculated.

And measuring and calculating is OBVIOUSLY dependent on the solar system.

When, an entity cannot be measured and calculated, I wonder why someone would call such an entity "Time".

Then, my question is how then is it time? While taking into consideration that when you talk about time, you talk about series of events that can be empirically measured.
Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 10:56pm On Jul 18, 2017
Outside, the solar system, it cannot be measured and calculated!! Because it doesn't exist outside solar system. That time can't be measurable outside the solar system has made it fall short of claiming a measurabke entity.

A take a good look at the below screenshot.

It simply shows that Time are measurable on the basis of the solar system. Why? Because it is dependent on solar system. And also a good reason why it CANNOT BE MEASURED outside a solar system.

It is the solar system that determines time. I DARE YOU REFUTE THIS!

1 Like

Re: Second Debate: Strictly Between Hopefullandlord And I On The "Reality Of God" by ambassagod: 11:09pm On Jul 18, 2017
Time is imaginary and not existent, until it can be empirically measured and quantified! And that's what our solar system helps to do.

More facts:

Time is not a "Thing", it only becomes a thing when it's reality can measured and empirically calculated. Outside that, it is imaginary, non existent and can't be measurable.

So the reality of time started when "the sun, stars and moon" came into effect and as such is used to determine time. That's when time started.

More fact: "Time" has a beginning. It began when what determines it came into effect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Olodo Guide To Paying Tithe / A Lesson From Lilian Yeomans / Six Important Ways To Obtain God's Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.