Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time (21494 Views)

Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos / 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment / How I Was Defrauded Renting An Apartment In Lagos, My Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by YOUNGKAHUNA: 2:16pm On Jul 19, 2017
Na that meter own dey pain me right now sef, the old tenant accumulate a bill of 80,000+, but right now na only current energy charge I dey pay. I stopped paying part of the outstanding.
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by tosyne2much(m): 2:23pm On Jul 19, 2017
holatin:
and if you are a bachelor like me.

Do findings about how many daughter your landlord or landlady have so you can impregnate one, one day and thereby you stop paying house rent.

dat is what I had in plan for kikelomo my landlord's daughter
Hehe cheesy
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by Sleyanya1(m): 2:24pm On Jul 19, 2017
Nice One Op, ......

Also ensure you visit the apartment on a rainy day,
to avoid matters that touches the heart during the rainy seasons. Most landlords will never tell you this.

Smile when around and chill out with a to be neighbour, you can buy him a drink and ask all your necessary questions, especially if you're very interested in the apartment but you still have fears.

You'd get 99.99% sincere answers
cheesy
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 19, 2017
Hotshawarma:
true.....that was how I rented a house at around ajah thinking the power supply there is very good until I discovered that light at that place is bad....I was fooled when I came to check the house twice before renting it and on those two occasions there was light so I fell for it...

Same thing happen to me, after renting the house there was no light throughout December till Jan he pain eh.
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 19, 2017
I ensure to.check for the following: Landlord and family character Type of existing tenants in the com. Water supply Security of the area I do well to visit the house after rain fall.
Power supply
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 19, 2017
I ensure to.check for the following: Landlord and family character Type of existing tenants in the com. Water supply Security of the area I do well to visit the house after rain fall.
Power supply
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by dfrost: 2:46pm On Jul 19, 2017
dammy13:

Take a Meter Reading Before Signing on the Dotted Line

Landlords are fond of passing on previous electricity bills to new and unsuspecting tenants. Ensure you are not a victim of this by taking a meter reading of the electricity meter when you come to inspect the house. You can also request to see evidence that electricity bills have been paid to date and there are no outstanding bills left for you to shoulder. Please ensure you do this to avoid being charged by PHCN for electricity previous tenants used.

I will never fall for this trap again. This point is the craziest. Wicked set of ex-tenants and Shylock landlords angry cry embarassed.
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by refreshrate: 2:47pm On Jul 19, 2017
rane06:
Be sure you are at least 15 houses away from any church, mosque or bar. Thank me later

Valid!!!

2 Likes

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by proff010: 3:41pm On Jul 19, 2017
holatin:

Do findings about how many daughter your landlord or landlady have so you can impregnate one, one day and thereby you stop paying house rent.

Omo ale. They will do it for ur daughter too..
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by YesNoMaybe: 3:48pm On Jul 19, 2017
tomayira:
Good one OP, it's also important to find out if someone was buried in any room from neighbours because Na so I see one fine one bed room flat wen I like, I come ask how much? The lady say make I no live there o say Dem bury the owner there about five months ago a young man of about 35 years old because Na Dem tradition... If u see how I run, make God help person

Look at this one oooo

When other ladies crave for who to talk to during the lonely nights.
You no try at all.....smh
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by holatin(m): 4:19pm On Jul 19, 2017
proff010:
Omo ale. They will do it for ur daughter too..
baba e omo ale, iya baba e asewo, Iwo gan abikubi ni e.

omo jatijati
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by holatin(m): 4:20pm On Jul 19, 2017
tosyne2much:
Hehe cheesy
ogini ?
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by holatin(m): 4:22pm On Jul 19, 2017
bizhop01:

Speak out your plan
u have to pay for that
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by holatin(m): 4:23pm On Jul 19, 2017
surckerg:
Badt man things, No dulling!
abi now, u gat to be smart
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by ifeanyi83(m): 7:26pm On Jul 19, 2017
vizkiz:
Ask people staying around to give you a Lil info about that residence.

This is very useful

I heard so too. Background checks are very important...
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by mank1234(m): 7:45pm On Jul 19, 2017
+ Consider that you'll build yours sooner or later. So, have in mine that you'll have to maintain your landlord's house or at least keep it in the state you meet.
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by iAmGee770: 9:57pm On Jul 19, 2017
holatin:

But seriously, you are a bad child! Infact, you seems to have join a bad gang... I hope you ain't part of the oil-body gang
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by 1234IKECHhukwu: 10:41pm On Jul 19, 2017
PerfectlyPerfect:
Please I intend to rent an apartment soon. It's my first time and the house I've found is still new. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of moderately furnishing a one-bedroom flat( a room and parlour). I'm in Owerri, Imo state
LCD TV 32'inch=#80,000,Deep freezer (medium)=#95,000-#100,000,sound system (double decker) depending O!=#45,000,washing machine 8kg=#65,000,Foam 22inch=#37,000,curtains (average)=#15,000,table gas cooker=#8,500,microwave=#13,000,SOFA=#120,000,kitchen utensils including pots,spoon, water storage container (butter),budget about=#40,000 these are all I can give,pls note that prices are liable to change.

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by xcommando(m): 11:33pm On Jul 19, 2017
I just pack in not up to three weeks now,when I entered my apartment this evening my neighbour called me that the landlady said she has sold the house and the contractors need to come and start work before the rain get serious by August. I told him that house that paid in April and pack in June ending and u are asking me to pack out in july
When I did my findings I discover that she is having money issues with the caretaker. From information gather the caretaker is claiming he used the money to settle those that packed out of the house before their rent expires

Still thinking on what to tell her when I meet her by weekend.
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by MrMcJay(m): 12:02am On Jul 20, 2017
xcommando:
I just pack in not up to three weeks now,when I entered my apartment this evening my neighbour called me that the landlady said she has sold the house and the contractors need to come and start work before the rain get serious by August. I told him that house that paid in April and pack in June ending and u are asking me to pack out in july
When I did my findings I discover that she is having money issues with the caretaker. From information gather the caretaker is claiming he used the money to settle those that packed out of the house before their rent expires

Still thinking on what to tell her when I meet her by weekend.

Which state is the property located?
Do you have a tenancy agreement?

This your matter is interesting, don't leave it here in Page 2. I advise that you open a new thread and I'll tag the mods to push it to the FP. That way, you'll get more input.
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by xcommando(m): 6:07am On Jul 20, 2017
MrMcJay:

Which state is the property located?
Do you have a tenancy agreement?

This your matter is interesting, don't leave it here in Page 2. I advise that you open a new thread and I'll tag the mods to push it to the FP. That way, you'll get more input.

The property is located in kano
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by holatin(m): 7:47am On Jul 20, 2017
iAmGee770:

But seriously, you are a bad child! Infact, you seems to have join a bad gang... I hope you ain't part of the oil-body gang
which one be oily body gang again
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by iAmGee770: 9:27pm On Jul 20, 2017
holatin:
Dem Badoo boys for Ikorodu, Lagos. Call dem the oil-body gang �
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by iAmGee770: 9:27pm On Jul 20, 2017
holatin:
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by CelestineC(m): 6:24am On Jul 21, 2017
Yes but I think you failed to mention one thing...

"Availability of network"

dammy13:
When you become a part of the private rented sector for the first time, there are a number of things you have to consider to ensure you are not cheated and that you’re in a secure and safe tenancy. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 6 things you as a first time renter should consider before renting an apartment.

Tenancy Contracts

Though they tend to be long, confusing and full of legal jargon, it is important to avoid the temptation of just skipping to the end and signing it without reading. A tenancy contract is a legally binding document that mandates your landlord to do certain things that you definitely should be aware of to avoid being taken by a rude surprise.

Upfront Costs

It’s easy for first-time renters to forget that aside monthly or yearly rent, there are also upfront costs of renting an apartment and you’ll almost always have to complete the payment of the costs before you can move into the apartment. You should prepare and plan ahead for these costs to avoid a rude shock in this area.

Long Term Costs

Aside monthly or yearly rent, there are other utility payments like electricity, water etc. that you have to consider. You need to be sure if certain utilities are covered by your rent and provided for or if you will have to either source for them or pay for them.

Take a Meter Reading Before Signing on the Dotted Line

Landlords are fond of passing on previous electricity bills to new and unsuspecting tenants. Ensure you are not a victim of this by taking a meter reading of the electricity meter when you come to inspect the house. You can also request to see evidence that electricity bills have been paid to date and there are no outstanding bills left for you to shoulder. Please ensure you do this to avoid being charged by PHCN for electricity previous tenants used.

Safety and Appearance of the Neighbourhood

Many first-time renters often get carried away with the excitement of renting their first apartment and forget to assess the safety of the neighbourhood their renting the apartment in. Please ensure you do not make this mistake. Landlords will hardly be truthful or sincere about the safety of the neighbourhood of their apartments, so you have to ask around and make necessary enquiries. You can talk to one or two people who live and work around the area to get information about what the area is really like.

Accessibility

Try to get an apartment that has an easy or relatively easy access to public transportation, provision stores, medical facilities or anything else you consider important to your living situation. This will help make life in the apartment easier for you.

http://fabinfos.com/things-consider-renting-apartment-first-time/

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by holatin(m): 11:31am On Jul 21, 2017
iAmGee770:

me no dey among oooo

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by demalo(m): 9:08am On Jul 23, 2017
bossman i have been trying to get in contact with you for over a month now, but to no avail.. I beg you to chat me up on whatsapp.. my contact is in my signature
PerfectlyPerfect:
Please I intend to rent an apartment soon. It's my first time and the house I've found is still new. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of moderately furnishing a one-bedroom flat( a room and parlour). I'm in Owerri, Imo state
Re: Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment For The First Time by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 9:21am On Jul 24, 2017
demalo:
bossman i have been trying to get in contact with you for over a month now, but to no avail.. I beg you to chat me up on whatsapp.. my contact is in my signature
I've been too busy lately bro. I've replied to your mail this morning

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lekki Gardens Releases Statement On Collapse Building that killed 18 in Lagos / Pitfalls To Avoid When Buying Land / Is Tejuosho Market Yaba A Waste?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.