Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? (1592 Views)

What Can You Tell An Atheist To Believe There Is God? / The Mystery Surrounding Creation And Life After Death / The Devils Believe There Is God, Why Wont You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Zeus888: 1:39pm On Jul 22, 2017
Someone asked this question on the web forum quora and got this incisive reply, so I decided to share;

Why do some people believe that cars stop running when they are crushed or scrapped or rust away to nothing?
Why do some people believe that fires stop burning when they are extinguished or die out?
Why do some people believe that boats are no longer floating when they sink?
Why do some people believe that magnetic cassette tapes won’t play Madonna when they have been erased?
Why do some people believe that sandcastles are not still there after a wave has come wash them away?
Why do some people believe that their Samsung Galaxy S7 will not still make calls after it’s exploded?

I could go on but I think you get the point. When a thing no longer has the mechanisms to function, it does not keep on performing that function. Humans are no different. When your lungs fail, you can no longer breathe. When your heart fails, you can no longer circulate blood. When your brain fails, you can no longer think or have emotions or store memories.

It would be quite surprising if the opposite were true. It would not fit with what we know about literally everything and so it’s quite natural to believe that when a thing fails to function, it cannot continue to function.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Blitzerz: 1:47pm On Jul 22, 2017
Nicely articulated but Quite Wrong,
There are now multiple studies that confirm that the human consciousness and awareness exist even when organs of the body including the brain are shut down.
These are conclusions arising from studies of numerous After death and Near death Experiences.

Here is one of them:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/670781/There-IS-life-after-DEATH-Scientists-reveal-shock-findings-from-groundbreaking-study
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by holocron: 2:11pm On Jul 22, 2017
Those research u r qouting is still inconclusive. Some researchers have categorized OOBE as Lucid dreams. The jury is still out on the question of Life After Death. Its not likely to be true, but there os no hard proof either way. For certain when u r dead, you are dead to this world, no doubt: but survival in another form? In another sphere of reality? Who knows?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by OtemAtum: 2:17pm On Jul 22, 2017
Because I have seen life when I died.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 22, 2017
I wonder why too. It's not like anyone actually died, came back weeks later and told us so. I think it's because for some it's hard to accept this is the only life we have.
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by oaroloye(m): 2:41pm On Jul 22, 2017
SHALOM!

What causes people to live is not Physical.

Just because it ceases to be able to support a body doesn't mean it ceases to exist.

If your house collapsed, or your car crashed or exploded, nobody would expect YOU to be dead, when you were not inside them at the time.

So it is with Humans.

Some are like "ACTOR!" who escaped- even at the Last Second- while others are "SHOEMAY!" whom the "Actor" cries about.
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Wilgrea7(m): 4:03pm On Jul 22, 2017
many people believe there is life after death.. it is a belief.. and it lacks physical evidence because life after death isn't something science can ascertain.. some people also claim to know there is life after death through personal experience of the spiritual.. as to if the nature of the afterlife is the Christian one, muslim one etc is yet unsure by many.. many spiritualists hold the view that the afterlife of an individual depends on their level of spiritual development here on earth.. majority of which speak from experience.. not theory
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 22, 2017
Blitzerz:
Nicely articulated but Quite Wrong,
There are now multiple studies that confirm that the human consciousness and awareness exist even when organs of the body including the brain are shut down.
These are conclusions arising from studies of numerous After death and Near death Experiences.

Here is one of them:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/670781/There-IS-life-after-DEATH-Scientists-reveal-shock-findings-from-groundbreaking-study
You are definitely wrong!
Consciousness and brain are related, so when our brain dies, consciousness also ends.

There is no such thing as after death experience. Those ppl who say they had experienced this kind of thing hadn't died, but were on the process of death. Your brain cells send high level of electric signals when you are on the process of death and those signals produce images to you. People that don't know the science of this thing then interprete it as a "after death experience".

There are no such thing as God/gods/Satan/Angel/Slrite/Heaven/Hell/afterlife /luck/miracle/written destiny

Believe in reason/science cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Blitzerz: 4:51pm On Jul 22, 2017
Hati13:

Consciousness and brain are related, so when our brain dies, consciousness also ends.

There is no such thing as after death experience. Those ppl who say they had experienced this kind of thing hadn't died, but were on the process of death. Your brain cells send high level of electric signals when you are on the process of death and those signals produce images to you. People that don't know the science of this thing then interprete it as a "after death experience".

There are no such thing as God/gods/Satan/Angel/Slrite/Heaven/Hell/afterlife /luck/miracle/written destiny

I quoted a reference with a recent study.
You quoted none.
I dont think you believe in Science.
You only believe in your arguments. And saying there is nothing like After Death Experience gives you away, exposes you completely.
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 22, 2017
Blitzerz:

I quoted a reference with a recent study.
You quoted none.
I dont think you believe in Science.
You only believe in your arguments. And saying there is nothing like After Death Experience gives you away, exposes you completely.
Yes you quoted a reference, but it isn't supported by concert evidence/s.

It isn't about quoting! I can quote a reference that says, "Earth is flat", but does this mean Earth is flat? No, it isn't.

So, are you saying anyone who don't believe in afterlife doesn't also believe in science? You are funny grin

I know that ppl like you who believe in afterlife are afraid to face death. Don't be afraid. You won't experience anything.

It's rather you who don't believe in reason/science!
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by marttol: 7:35pm On Jul 22, 2017
Hati13:

THERE IS HELL,HEAVEN,GOD IS REALER THAN YOU YOURSELF,ANGELS ARE 150% REALER THAN EVERY BODY THAT EVERY EXISTED IN YOUR LINEAGE,SO ARE DEMONS,STOP INTRUDING INTO THINGS YOU'VE NOT SEEN,OR THINGS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT,BUT WHEN YOU DIE,YOU WILL KNOW THE truth.
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by ABBkelvin(m): 7:57pm On Jul 22, 2017
They are scared to lose their memory, experience and imagination while being alive. It's scary to be sincere but that's it.
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jul 22, 2017
marttol:
THERE IS HELL,HEAVEN,GOD IS REALER THAN YOU YOURSELF,ANGELS ARE 150% REALER THAN EVERY BODY THAT EVERY EXISTED IN YOUR LINEAGE,SO ARE DEMONS,STOP INTRUDING INTO THINGS YOU'VE NOT SEEN,OR THINGS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT,BUT WHEN YOU DIE,YOU WILL KNOW THE truth.
I told the truth, while you are telling nonsense.
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by marttol: 8:45pm On Jul 22, 2017
Hati13:

I told the truth, while you are telling nonsense.
eh,ya...i pity your soul.
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Heromaniaa: 8:58pm On Jul 22, 2017
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Blitzerz: 10:13pm On Jul 22, 2017
Hati13:

Yes you quoted a reference, but it isn't supported by concert evidence/s.

It isn't about quoting! I can quote a reference that says, "Earth is flat", but does this mean Earth is flat? No, it isn't.

So, are you saying anyone who don't believe in afterlife doesn't also believe in science? You are funny grin

I know that ppl like you who believe in afterlife are afraid to face death. Don't be afraid. You won't experience anything.

It's rather you who don't believe in reason/science!

Stop pretending to be scientific. You clearly are not. You are only repeating your sentences.

You cant quote anything. Which scientific reference or study are you quoting that says the earth is flat? Please bring it.

Stop deceiving yourself. And Why are are you interjecting "afterlife" with " After Death Experience " which I mentioned
This clearly shows you don't even know the importance of the terms I am using Specifically.

In your mind, everything is lumped up.
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 22, 2017
Blitzerz:

Stop pretending to be scientific. You clearly are not. You are only repeating your sentences.
I'm not pretending to be scientific. It's funny you said that, because you rather the one who is.

I'm not repeating my sentences.

Blitzerz:
You cant quote anything. Which scientific reference or study are you quoting that says the earth is flat? Please bring it.
http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/19/here-are-10-proofs-that-the-earth-is-actually-flat-not-round-6016710/
The above reference says that Earth is flat, but this doesn't mean it's right just like yours.

Blitzerz:
Stop deceiving yourself. And Why are are you interjecting "afterlife" with " After Death Experience " which I mentioned
This clearly shows you don't even know the importance of the terms I am using Specifically.
The term "After Death Experience" and "Afterlife" are basically the same.

Blitzerz:
In your mind, everything is lumped up.
It's not. I only believe on something that is supported by concrete evidence/s.

Please don't talk nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Blitzerz: 11:55pm On Jul 22, 2017
Hati13:

I'm not pretending to be scientific. It's funny you said that, because you rather the one who is.

I'm not repeating my sentences.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/19/here-are-10-proofs-that-the-earth-is-actually-flat-not-round-6016710/
The above reference says that Earth is flat, but this doesn't mean it's right just like yours.

The term "After Death Experience" and "Afterlife" are basically the same.

It's not. I only believe on something that is supported by concrete evidence/s.

Please don't talk nonsense!

I always knew you will expose yourself as somebody who doesn't read.

It was only a matter of time.
The article you posted is a book review
And the title of the book is clear that it says it is centred on Conspiracy theories.

And as usual, you gobbled it in a hurry, because you want to argue.
This is exactly what I have been telling you.

It is even obvious you didn't read the scientific study I referenced, Because you didn't even read the one you put forward.
And you are claiming to be scientific.
So much for that. Scientific my foot.
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 23, 2017
Blitzerz:

I always knew you will expose yourself as somebody who doesn't read.

It was only a matter of time.
The article you posted is a book review
And the title of the book is clear that it says it is centred on Conspiracy theories.

And as usual, you gobbled it in a hurry, because you want to argue.
This is exactly what I have been telling you.

It is even obvious you didn't read the scientific study I referenced, Because you didn't even read the one you put forward.
And you are claiming to be scientific.
So much for that. Scientific my foot.
Don't make yourself happy by talking nonsense about me. I just told my perspective which I believe is the truth to that guy and you come and open your mouth.

Please present at least ONE CONCERT EVIDENCE that support the existence of AFTER DEATH EXPERIENCE?
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Blitzerz: 5:03pm On Jul 23, 2017
Hati13:

Don't make yourself happy by talking nonsense about me. I just told my perspective which I believe is the truth to that guy and you come and open your mouth.

Please present at least ONE CONCERT EVIDENCE that support the existence of AFTER DEATH EXPERIENCE?

You are now floating on sinking paper.
You have shown that you dont read and yet you are asking for evidence?
The scientific study that was put before you,
You couldn't even read. Yet u want another.

Please keep repeating your statements.
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by sonmvayina(m): 8:39pm On Jul 23, 2017
Life is a circle, at least that is what I see in nature..not a straight line. Death is just a point on it..when we die in the flesh, we are born in the spirit..and when we die in spirit, it means we are born in the flesh..

We go back to the universe as energy, waiting for another time to have another human experience....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Niflheim(m): 9:16pm On Jul 23, 2017
@op,

Belief in an after-life stems from childhood indoctrination!!! But also, an increase in drug intake can cause one to believe in "otherworlds" and purple elephants!!!

Belief in an after-life is connected to "the baboon brain" which reasons like a goat!!!
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by AlfaAce(m): 9:49pm On Jul 23, 2017
LightandDarkness:
I wonder why too. It's not like anyone actually died, came back weeks later and told us so. I think it's because for some it's hard to accept this is the only life we have.
The world itself is a mystery.I believe in life after death.
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jul 23, 2017
AlfaAce:

The world itself is a mystery.I believe in life after death.

Sure you can believe in it, does not necessarily make it fact. I don't think anyone can know it for a fact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 23, 2017
Blitzerz:

You are now floating on sinking paper.
You have shown that you dont read and yet you are asking for evidence?
The scientific study that was put before you,
You couldn't even read. Yet u want another.

Please keep repeating your statements.
You sound wired. You are the one who is repeating your statements. Your comments mostly show nonsense statements about me. Talking nonsense may be your norm, but it's too much on you.

Please answer my question. Again present at least one concert evidence that support the existence of AFTER DEATH EXPERIENCE!

I can bring you many concert evidence that support that consciousness ends when the brain die.

Slave!
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Blitzerz: 1:15am On Jul 24, 2017
Hati13:

You sound wired. You are the one who is repeating your statements. Your comments mostly show nonsense statements about me. Talking nonsense may be your norm, but it's too much on you.

Please answer my question. Again present at least one concert evidence that support the existence of AFTER DEATH EXPERIENCE!

I can bring you many concert evidence that support that consciousness ends when the brain die.

Slave!

I challenge you to read what was given to you

Mr Illiterate.
Read!
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Nobody: 2:57am On Jul 24, 2017
Blitzerz:

I challenge you to read what was given to you

Mr Illiterate.
Read!
Doctors will laugh at you if you told them that, "Consciousness will continue after the death of the brain."

Peace!
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Blitzerz: 3:34am On Jul 24, 2017
Hati13:

Doctors will laugh at you if you told them that, "Consciousness will continue after the death of the brain."

Peace!
Dear Inerudite,

I will always prove you wrong every inch of the way.
Watch the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_qBIw7qyHU

And I challenge you once again, to go and read the scientific study I presented to you.
Stop floating on callowness
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Nobody: 4:22am On Jul 24, 2017
Blitzerz:

Dear Inerudite,

I will always prove you wrong every inch of the way.
Watch the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_qBIw7qyHU

And I challenge you once again, to go and read the scientific study I presented to you.
Stop floating on callowness
Dear Inerudite

I only asked concert evidence/s not any other forms of evidence. If not, then let end it!
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Blitzerz: 4:31am On Jul 24, 2017
Hati13:

Dear Inerudite

I only asked concert evidence/s not any other forms of evidence. If not, then let end it!

And by "Concert" I guess you mean evidence that you cant read or watch?
You thought I was joking when I said you only believed in your arguments?
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by Sebastine1994(m): 6:57am On Jul 24, 2017
Hati13:

Peace!

the brain is the last part to die
Re: Why Do Some People Believe There Is Life After Death? by AlfaAce(m): 7:42am On Jul 24, 2017
LightandDarkness:

Sure you can believe in it, does not necessarily make it fact. I don't think anyone can know it for a fact
True... I just think I have nothing to lose believing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Truth About Atheism / Will Few Make Heaven? / Valentine's Day Is Not A Day For Mass Fornication.!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.