Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,101 members, 7,814,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

"The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? (1738 Views)

Acts 2:33 - One Of Many Scriptures That Disprove The Trinity Doctrine / The Trinity Doctrine Is a False doctrine and it is Unbiblical. / Primate Ayodele: Five Nations Will Come Out Of Nigeria; Two Will Be Greater Than (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:50am On Jul 24, 2017
"The Father is greater than I" Does this disprove the Trinity?

Jesus once said that the Father was greater than He was. How could Jesus be fully God, but yet "lesser" than the Father?

What Jesus means here is that in His humanity and incarnate state, He is subordinate to the Father in terms of His role and rank. See the link below for details.

http://reasonsforjesus.com/the-father-is-greater-than-i-does-this-disprove-trinity/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Ezyp(m): 11:06am On Jul 24, 2017
I and the Father are one...anything I do comes from the father does it approve Trinity
Read all chapters in your bible bro
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:40am On Jul 24, 2017
Ezyp:

I and the Father are one...anything I do comes from the father does it approve Trinity
Read all chapters in your bible bro

I assume you have read it, what does it say? undecided
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Ezyp(m): 12:17pm On Jul 24, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

I assume you have read it, what does it say? undecided
Am not your pastor....learn to read yourself
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:04pm On Jul 24, 2017
Ezyp:

Am not your pastor....learn to read yourself

Then if you've got nothing to contribute kindly stay aside and allow those who know to teach. cool

1 Like

Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:09pm On Aug 09, 2017
/\ /\ /\

Do you have to be my pastor before you can explain yourself?
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by NPComplete: 5:16am On Aug 10, 2017
Modern Christians and intellectual dishonesty.

If the trinity doctrine was a Muslim thing and Muslims were claiming Mohammed and God are one but the Quran has a passages that reads "the Father is greater than I", quoting Mohammed, we all know Christians will gleefully use that passage to refute the oneness of Mohammed and God. Same goes with other passages that clearly points out the superiority of God to Jesus.

But modern Christians, being as dishonest as they can be, will twist the interpretation of passages when it suits them and interpret the passage literally when it suits them.

You guys have to agree. We either read the bible literally or we give own interpretation to every passage. U don't get to cherry pick.

4 Likes

Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:35am On Jul 24, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Jesus once said that the Father was greater than He was. How could Jesus be fully God, but yet "lesser" than the Father?

What Jesus means here is that in His humanity and incarnate state, He is subordinate to the Father in terms of His role and rank. See the link below for details.

http://reasonsforjesus.com/the-father-is-greater-than-i-does-this-disprove-trinity/

By George Mitrakos| I was recently engaging in a theological discussion with someone who took part in a group which adheres to the doctrine of what is known to many as humanism. Now, in an attempt to drive into question the very doctrines taught by the Christian church, he inquired of me concerning the apparent contradiction between Jesus's utterance that the Father is greater than him (John 14:28) and the divinity doctrine which has been taught for a little over 2 thousand years.

This question gets passed around a lot, with the intentions of dismantling Orthodox theology and the concept of the Trinity. Yet, with a proper understanding of the relevant text, we can be well equipped to address and deal with such arguments proposed by the opposing camp.

So let us see what our Lord meant by such a statement:

To be continued...http://reasonsforjesus.com/the-father-is-greater-than-i-does-this-disprove-trinity/
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 10:42am On Jul 24, 2019
How on earth people still believe in a trinity,something absolutely irrational beats my imagination.

2 Likes

Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 24, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Then if you've got nothing to contribute kindly stay aside and allow those who know to teach. cool

I wonder why this OUR Trinity is becoming something irritating to people this days!
Perhaps they're no more using OUR King James Authorised Version of God's Word {KJV}

Don't mind him, he must be one of those Jehovah's Witnesses! cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by malvisguy212: 9:53am On Jul 25, 2019
in nature, is the president greater than me ? NO. But as the president of Nigeria he is greater than me.
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Janosky: 11:05am On Jul 25, 2019
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Janosky: 11:35am On Jul 25, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

malvisguy212:
in nature, is the president greater than me ? NO. But as the president of Nigeria he is greater than me.
Jesus Christ in heaven gave John the revelation (Rev1:1)

Rev 1:5,6
"5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful
witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the
ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who
loves us and has released us from our sins
by His blood, 6 who has made us to be a
kingdom, priests to His God and Father— to
Him be the glory and power forever and
ever! Amen. "

** Rev1:5,6 Jesus is in heaven saying that he made us priests to his God and Father, is Jesus Christ lying ?

**Revelation 3:5,12
"5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will
confess his name before my Father, and
before his angels. "

" 12 Him that overcometh will I make a
pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall
go no more out: and I will write upon him
the name of my God, and the name of the
city of my God, which is new Jerusalem,
which cometh down out of heaven from my
God:"

***Rev3:5,12 , Jesus is still in heaven and says "I will confess his (disciples) name before my Father","my God".
Once more, I ask: is Jesus Christ lying?

The spiritual realm is stronger than the earthly realm.
If Almighty Yahweh is Jesus Father on earth, in the heavenly/ spiritual realm, Yahweh's Superiority over Jesus persists throughout
eternity...

That's the Revelation that Yahweh gave Jesus to show his servants... Rev1:1. Matt16:13-17.

OLAADEGBU and malvisguy, receive sense.
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 25, 2019
Jesus took the lesser position of a servant in other to work the work of salvation.

Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

@ bolded
Since Jesus has to take the form of a servant, it means he is not a servant.

Those who say Jesus is less than God cant explain this verse

Jesus made himself less than God because he really is not less than God.

You cant make something into what it already is.
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Janosky: 7:32pm On Jul 25, 2019
solite3:
Jesus took the lesser position of a servant in other to work the work of salvation.

Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

@ bolded
Since Jesus has to take the form of a servant, it means he is not a servant.

Those who say Jesus is less than God cant explain this verse

Jesus made himself less than God because he really is not less than God.

You cant make something into what it already is.

**1) Rev 3:5,21 did Jesus in heaven say he is less than his God and Father?
Who is the God of Jesus in heaven?

***2). John 12:49
I have not spoken on My own, but the Father
who sent Me has commanded Me what to
say and how to say it.

*** Solite3, John12:49, who gave Jesus the command to take the form of a servant ?
Where was the command given to Jesus?

***3) Phil2:7,11, for whose glory did Jesus take the form of a servant?

Solite3 for how long will you continue to deceive yourself ?
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 25, 2019
Janosky:

(1) **1) Rev 3:5,21 did Jesus in heaven say he is less than his God and Father?

(2)Who is the God of Jesus in heaven?

(3)I have not spoken on My own, but the Father
say and how to say it?

(4)*** Solite3, John12:49, who gave Jesus the command to take the form of a servant ?

(5)***3) Phil2:7,11, for whose glory did Jesus take the form of a servant?

(6)Solite3 for how long will you continue to deceive yourself ?

Question number 1:answer ~ NO! But Mr TRINITY did!

All other questions except number 6 has the same Churchgoer answer which is ~ Mr TRINITY!

Answer to question 6 ~ Until Mr TRINITY release him! cheesy
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 25, 2019
Janosky:

**1) Rev 3:5,21 did Jesus in heaven say he is less than his God and Father?
Who is the God of Jesus in heaven?
Jesus didnt say the father is greater than him in Rev 3:5,21.

I have not spoken on My own, but the Father
say and how to say it.
of course as a servant he has to obey.

*** Solite3, John12:49, who gave Jesus the command to take the form of a servant ?
He was not commanded to take the form of a servant rather he did it on its own.

Philippians 2:7
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

***3) Phil2:7,11, for whose glory did Jesus take the form of a servant?

Solite3 for how long will you continue to deceive yourself ?
the right question would have been, if Jesus was a servant why will he need to take the form of a servant.
All angels are servants.

Psalms 104:4
Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:

But Jesus is not a servant hence not an angel.

A question you should ask yourself again is
who exactly is Jesus?

He had to make himself a servant and a man before he could be less than God.

Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

By virtue of being a man he became less than the angels and hence less than God.
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by tuniski: 5:38am On Jul 26, 2019
malvisguy212:
So there are 3 gods, since you are distinct from the president but are humans?
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Janosky: 9:55am On Jul 26, 2019
solite3:
Jesus didnt say the father is greater than him in Rev 3:5,21.

of course as a servant he has to obey.

He was not commanded to take the form of a servant rather he did it on its own.

Philippians 2:7
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

the right question would have been, if Jesus was a servant why will he need to take the form of a servant.
All angels are servants.

Psalms 104:4
Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:

But Jesus is not a servant hence not an angel.

A question you should ask yourself again is
who exactly is Jesus?

He had to make himself a servant and a man before he could be less than God.

Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

By virtue of being a man he became less than the angels and hence less than God.

Do you, Solite3, believe the words Jesus spoke in heaven that he has his God and Father in heaven?

**Solite3 deceiving himself.
Rev 3:5,21 Why did Jesus in heaven call Yahweh "my Father","my God" ?
You have claimed that on earth,as a man Jesus is inferior to God.
Solite3, where was Jesus Christ when he spoke the words of Rev 3:5,21?

Is anyone you call "my Father", "my God", is that person Superior to you?
Would Solite3 call his age mate, "my Father"?

$$$$ John6:38
" 38 For I have come down
from heaven, not to do My own will, but to
do the will of Him who sent Me."

$$$ * Solite3, John 6:38 was Jesus sent?
whose will did Jesus obey by coming to the earth "in the form of a servant"?

***#### Phil2:7, Jesus NEVER lived on earth before he was sent from heaven by Yahweh, therefore he was not a servant of God on earth prior to his birth.

If you dodge any of my questions again, that's further proof you're not truthful and honest.

1 Like

Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Solohmony: 12:47pm On Jul 26, 2019
It is not a surprise that people have not understand trinity because it is only God that can make you to understand His principles.
Trinity means God is one being but have three personalities/roles. All billions of people in the world have only one being- human but each of us have different personalities. You can be a father to your children, husband to your wife and brother to your younger brother. Only one person performing three roles relate this analogy to trinity concept. God is one being but perform three different roles.
God as Father create heaven and earth
God as Son provide salvation to humanity.
God the Spirit guide and comfort us.
Just the same God revealed himself in three dimensions. Jesus said Father is greater than him not in term of being but role as Son.
Jesus Christ did not say God is greater than Him but notice the word "Father". It is only Jesus Christ that always refer God to Father, He is only taking about role not being.

Read Isaiah 9:6
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 26, 2019
Janosky:

Do you, Solite3, believe the words Jesus spoke in heaven that he has his God and Father in heaven?

**Solite3 deceiving himself.
Rev 3:5,21 Why did Jesus in heaven call Yahweh "my Father","my God" ?
You have claimed that on earth,as a man Jesus is inferior to God.
Solite3, where was Jesus Christ when he spoke the words of Rev 3:5,21?

Is anyone you call "my Father", "my God", is that person Superior to you?
Would Solite3 call his age mate, "my Father"?

$$$$ John6:38
" 38 For I have come down
from heaven, not to do My own will, but to
do the will of Him who sent Me."

$$$ * Solite3, John 6:38 was Jesus sent?
whose will did Jesus obey by coming to the earth "in the form of a servant"?

***#### Phil2:7, Jesus NEVER lived on earth before he was sent from heaven by Yahweh, therefore he was not a servant of God on earth prior to his birth.

If you dodge any of my questions again, that's further proof you're not truthful and honest.
Jehovah witness organisation was built on a satanic foundation.

Jesus was resurrected from the grave as a human.
He remains a man till date, as a man he is less than the father.
But the beginning of your confusion in this regard is that you deny That Jesus truly resurrected from the grave.
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Janosky: 2:00pm On Jul 26, 2019
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Janosky: 2:02pm On Jul 26, 2019
solite3:
Jehovah witness organisation was built on a satanic foundation.

Jesus was resurrected from the grave as a human.
He remains a man till date, as a man he is less than the father.
But the beginning of your confusion in this regard is that you deny That Jesus truly resurrected from the grave.
Shuuooo !!!!!
Solite3, you are a FRAUD. What a halfhearted attempt to cover up your Trinity scam !
No be insult, na the true
I have absolutely no apologies, for being very blunt and candid.
What you posted above is NOT the six (6) questions I asked you to respond to.
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Janosky: 2:14pm On Jul 26, 2019
Solohmony:
It is not a surprise that people have not understand trinity because it is only God that can make you to understand His principles.
Trinity means God is one being but have three personalities/roles. All billions of people in the world have only one being- human but each of us have different personalities. You can be a father to your children, husband to your wife and brother to your younger brother. Only one person performing three roles relate this analogy to trinity concept. God is one being but perform three different roles.
Just the same God revealed himself in three dimensions. Jesus said Father is greater than him not in term of being but role as Son.
Jesus Christ did not say God is greater than Him but notice the word "Father". It is only Jesus Christ that always refer God to Father, He is only taking about role not being.

Solo,my questions for you:

**1). in Rev 3:5,21 where was Jesus Christ when he said "my Father", "my God"?

2) In Rev 3:5,21 who did Jesus Christ call "my Father", "my God"?
Simple questions.
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Janosky: 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2019
tuniski:

So there are 3 gods, since you are distinct from the president but are humans?

Trinity FRAUD has removed sense from their brain.
No mind all these Worshippers of a man made fraud pretending to be Christians.

1 Like

Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Solohmony: 2:51pm On Jul 26, 2019
Janosky:

Solo,my questions for you:

**1). in Rev 3:5,21 where was Jesus Christ when he said "my Father", "my God"?

2) In Rev 3:5,21 who did Jesus Christ call "my Father", "my God"?
Simple questions.

Psalms 110:1
John 1:1-3

Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by tuniski: 3:22pm On Jul 26, 2019
Solohmony:

Trinity has 3 distinct personalities thus; Father in heaven, Jesus the son and Holy spirit the dove!
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Janosky: 3:39pm On Jul 26, 2019
[quote author=Solohmony post=80649811][/quote]
It's improper for you to interpose your views into my post.
Your claim "Only one person
performing three roles relate this
analogy to trinity concept. God is one
being but perform three different roles" has no biblical support in John1:1-3, Psalms 110:1& Isaiah 9:6.

If your "God is one being performing three different roles" how come God commanded himself in Psalm 110:1?
: " Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a stool for your feet ", who was speaking to who?

John 1:1-3 (how come the Word was with 'ho theos (the God)?

Isaiah 9:6, who gave birth to God?
Since he left heaven to enter the earthly realm, he has vacated his heavenly throne?
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by orunto27: 5:05pm On Jul 26, 2019
No. He is describing The Hierarchy in Eternal Life.
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:58pm On Jul 29, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

By George Mitrakos| I was recently engaging in a theological discussion with someone who took part in a group which adheres to the doctrine of what is known to many as humanism. Now, in an attempt to drive into question the very doctrines taught by the Christian church, he inquired of me concerning the apparent contradiction between Jesus's utterance that the Father is greater than him (John 14:28) and the divinity doctrine which has been taught for a little over 2 thousand years.

This question gets passed around a lot, with the intentions of dismantling Orthodox theology and the concept of the Trinity. Yet, with a proper understanding of the relevant text, we can be well equipped to address and deal with such arguments proposed by the opposing camp.

So let us see what our Lord meant by such a statement:

To be continued...http://reasonsforjesus.com/the-father-is-greater-than-i-does-this-disprove-trinity/

What Is The Meaning Of The Word Greater?

One of the many reasons why skeptics and Unitarians come to this unanimous decision that Christ was merely a human being is largely due to a deep miscomprehension regarding the term greater. These individuals take upon themselves the task of limiting this word to meaning that one lies superior to another in ALL aspects of his being.

However, just to demonstrate that this is NOT the case, let me provide you with a few definitions from the Macmillan dictionary and see if their limiting efforts can stand under scrutiny:

According to the Macmillan dictionary, the word greater means:

more than usual
important/powerful
enthusiastic
able to do something well
for expressing pleasure
(not) good/enjoyable

As you can see, not all definitions point to a superiority in essence. Here are what 11 other dictionaries and lexicons translate the word Jesus used, which in Greek is transliterated as 'megas':

This word can mean "important," "strong," and even "large." We can clearly see why the incarnate Son would use this word in his human state to refer to the Father.

Br. Sam Shamoun, a prominent Christian apologist puts it quite well, stating: "The term greater, not Just in Greek, but also in English, can hold two meanings. 1) being better in essence 2) being better in rank/position. For example, one can say that I am greater than my dog which implies that I am greater than it both in rank and essence. However, one can also say that my boss is greater than me or that the president is greater than the vice president. These do not refer to essence, but in office and rank."

1 Share

Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by Janosky: 11:45pm On Jul 29, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

One of the many reasons why skeptics and Unitarians come to this unanimous decision that Christ was merely a human being is largely due to a deep miscomprehension regarding the term greater. These individuals take upon themselves the task of limiting this word to meaning that one lies superior to another in ALL aspects of his being.

However, just to demonstrate that this is NOT the case, let me provide you with a few definitions from the Macmillan dictionary and see if their limiting efforts can stand under scrutiny:

more than usual
important/powerful
enthusiastic
for expressing pleasure
(not) good/enjoyable

As you can see, not all definitions point to a superiority in essence. Here are what 11 other dictionaries and lexicons translate the word Jesus used, which in Greek is transliterated as 'megas':

This word can mean "important," "strong," and even "large." We can clearly see why the incarnate Son would use this word in his human state to refer to the Father.

Br. Sam Shamoun, a prominent Christian apologist puts it quite well, stating: "The term greater, not Just in Greek, but also in English, can hold two meanings. 1) being better in essence 2) being better in rank/position. For example, one can say that I am greater than my dog which implies that I am greater than it both in rank and essence. However, one can also say that my boss is greater than me or that the president is greater than the vice president. These do not refer to essence, but in office and rank."

OLAADEGBU lying Pharisee,pls free yourself from this self-imposed delusion and satanic scam .

***John 10:29
"My Father who has given them to Me is
GREATER THAN ALL"

** Rev 3:5,21 is not in your Bible.
You done tear am komot since 19gbidigbidi.
Crooked Pharisees and unreceptive hearts.
Re: "The Father Is Greater Than I" Does This Disprove The Trinity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:51pm On Jul 30, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

more than usual
important/powerful
enthusiastic
for expressing pleasure
(not) good/enjoyable

Jesus' definition of the term "greater"

Now the above mentioned definition seems to be very convincing. However, to really hit the nail on the coffin by means of employing it, we must first see if it stands in harmony with our Lord's view and usage of the word greater as found within Scripture.

"But not so with you. Rather, let the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the leader as one who serves. For who is the greater (megas), one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves." – Luke 22:26-27

What we see is that Jesus reveals to his disciples the criteria by which one can become greater than the other. However, what we see is that both the disciples and the server/ recliner within the parable are fully human and equal to the other in essence and nature.

Hence, the definition Jesus provided for the term greater also falls in line with our previous definition which we placed on it, that it can refer to position and rank. Maybe even importance, but not necessarily substance or deity.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Possibilianism / Pastor E.A Adeboye's Message To TB Joshua's Wife / Braces Girl Twitter • Girl With Braces • Braces Girl Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.