Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe (26378 Views)

Three Powerful Atheists Who Converted To Christianity, A Must Read / Atheists Who Believe In The Supernatural Please Come In(discussion) / Atheists, Who Generates The Force That Rotates Planet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by Sapiosexuality(m): 6:22pm On Oct 29, 2017
What I don't understand is how some people call themselves Agnostic Atheist. Meaning what exactly kwanu? An oxymoron of a million autistic proportion. Lol. Just looking for trouble but I don't mind answers.

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by samsam2019: 6:32pm On Oct 29, 2017
Of course. There are million of people who have read the bible thoroughly and realised the lies, contradiction and inconsistencies and realised a god with common sense can never write that book .

I also believe there might be a god but 100% certain the creator is not the bible or Christian god. That one has no sense

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by Nobody: 6:42pm On Oct 29, 2017
samsam2019:
Of course. There are million of people who have read the bible thoroughly and realised the lies, contradiction and inconsistencies and realised a god with common sense can never write that book .

I also believe there might be a god but 100% certain the creator is not the bible or Christian god. That one has no sense

sapiosexuality here is the answer to your question.
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:05pm On Oct 29, 2017
samsam2019:

How did God write the bible ? And where in the bible notes that God wrote it ?
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by JackBizzle: 7:09pm On Oct 29, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Why are you so dubious? You know what he meant.

Is the bible not inspired and directed by God even though he didnt write it? Is it not the word of God.

Ogbeni, you will always be a slippery and dubious person.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by pat1612(m): 7:19pm On Oct 29, 2017
Every atheist is a believer tongue
Him or her belief is that what believer believe doesnt exist
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by MrMystrO(m): 7:21pm On Oct 29, 2017
jostmof:

All I can do for you is to pray that you find redemption...find Jesus... that's the best advice for you.

And i Also Hope you find Enlightenment And free yourself from the shackles of Religious Slavery. That's my best Advice to you.

2 Likes

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by Kingsleytobe(m): 7:26pm On Oct 29, 2017
ive always pondered the notion of personal gods in the igbo traditon the chi is the representarion of ones god, in the ancient mythios of greece they are numerous number of gods zeus, poseidon and the like.
So the concept of one God controlling the universe is hard to comprehend, even in the bible when one posses the holy spirit he or she becomes godlike and can then be seen as a diety.

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by AgentOfAllah: 7:26pm On Oct 29, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Energy was transformed into our universe ? Is that what you were being taught in school ? grin All matter and energy came into existence in the big bang . There was nothing(In material/physical sense ) prior to the existence of the universe

Fundamentally, the Big bang theory is a retropolation of the observed expansion of the known universe to a point particle, using the known laws of physics. As such, your statement is inaccurate for the the following reasons:

(1) There may yet be parts of the universe that remain unknown, which may completely falsify the big bang theory.

(2) once the universe is shrunk to a size with diameter approximately the scale of Plank's length, the known laws of physics completely breakdown, including those of quantum physics. This doesn't mean the universe ceases to exist at such scales, it just means we don't have any laws to describe anything that might exist at such a scale. Clearly, this implies that there are unknown laws of physics which haven't been accounted for. So, until we rule out all possible laws, it is flippant to claim that "all matter and energy came into existence in the big bang".

Usually, when physicists say things like the universe came into existence with the big bang, the phrase "as we know it" is always an implied preceding caveat. It is unfortunate that this point isn't usually made clear in materials dealing with the subject of the big bang, but that's just what it is. If you did read between the lines of several materials on the origin of the universe, however, this point becomes more obvious.

Take this Forbes article for example, where it is said that:

"If we were to extrapolate “infinitely” far back, we’d reach a singularity, where physics breaks down. With our modern understanding of the very early Universe, we know that an inflationary state preceded the hot, dense Big Bang, and that inflationary state was of an indeterminate duration. So when we speak of “the age of the Universe,” we’re talking about how much time has passed since the Universe could first be described by the hot Big Bang until the present day."

Or even this Hawkins article on the origin of time:

"At a singularity, all the laws of physics would have broken down. This means that the state of the universe, after the Big Bang, will not depend on anything that may have happened before, because the deterministic laws that govern the universe will break down in the Big Bang. The universe will evolve from the Big Bang, completely independently of what it was like before. Even the amount of matter in the universe, can be different to what it was before the Big Bang, as the Law of Conservation of Matter, will break down at the Big Bang."

Did you notice that even Steven Hawkins was careful not to rule out the existence of matter before the big bang!

Bottom line: Be circumspect about your claims!

Cc: Proudgorgeousga

2 Likes

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by uwajeh(m): 7:30pm On Oct 29, 2017
I believe they are called agnostics not atheists. Agnostics believe there may be a God but that there is no conclusive proof of God's existence. Atheists believe there is no God simpliciter.

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 29, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:
There are no gods to an atheist because no entity- abstract or concrete- is being elevated to a divine status (deity, deification) . So the atheist lacks the belief in deities simply because he is godless or without a deity (atheos) , nothing is a god or deity to an atheist . Simple .

Atheism is therefore , the rejection of deification . Yes , there are atheists who acknowledge the existence of intelligent source(s) of life on earth (Raelism) and there are those who believe the universe is created (defence of this stance comes , as they say , from the first cause argument) but they don't take the First Cause as a deity .

If you deify something or see it as a god , you are a theist ; if you don't see anything as a deity or god or deify something , you are an atheist .

Example
The pantheist sees the universe as a deity or a god , as an atheist you are not saying the universe does not exist because it is a deity , you simply reject deification . Use this simple logic to understand whatever I wrote above , it can be applied to just anything .

To prove this , here is a snippet by Pew Research revealing that indeed there are atheists who acknowledge the existence of the creator of the universe but they don't see it as a God or deity

Anyone who believes that someone created the universe is not an atheist. I think they call them creationists

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:47pm On Oct 29, 2017
@ AgentofAllah

Correction noted but this does not suggest that matter and energy are eternal , does it ? Because we are used to the false dichotomy atheists bring up
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:50pm On Oct 29, 2017
PrecisionFx:

Anyone who believes that someone created the universe is not an atheist. I think they call them creationists

That's not true . And I explained why in the OP

Whether the universe is created or not is not exactly a theist vs atheist argument . There are theists who believe the universe was not created and they are usually the pantheists - those who believe this universe is the totality of everything .
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:56pm On Oct 29, 2017
uwajeh:
I believe they are called agnostics not atheists. Agnostics believe there may be a God but that there is no conclusive proof of God's existence. Atheists believe there is no God simpliciter.

The pantheists believe the universe is God . In fact , physical entities were seen as gods : Humans , planets , sun , moon etc . Are atheists saying that these do not exist ? Of course not . They just rejecting deifying these entities or seeing them as Gods .

Agnosticism isn't really in between theism and atheism as people think
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by AgentOfAllah: 8:06pm On Oct 29, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:
@ AgentofAllah

Correction noted but this does not suggest that matter and energy are eternal , does it ? Because we are used to the false dichotomy atheists bring up

Correct, it doesn't! Crucially, though, it does also leave open the possibility that they are!
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 29, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

That's not true . And I explained why in the OP

Whether the universe is created or not is not exactly a theist vs atheist argument . There are theists who believe the universe was not created and they are usually the pantheists - those who believe this universe is the totality of everything .

A panetheist is not an Atheist.

Creation of the universe Is what stands between belief in God n disbelief in God

2 Likes

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by butterflyl1on: 8:14pm On Oct 29, 2017
samsam2019:

So which one has sense and what are supposed to be the attributes of your ideal picture of God?
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by rosalieene(f): 8:18pm On Oct 29, 2017
hmmmmmmm

woe unto those who say there is no God.
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:34pm On Oct 29, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Correct, it doesn't! Crucially, though, it does also leave open the possibility that they are!

But this does not imply the universe itself as a whole is eternal , does it ? Unless you are presupposing that matter is all there is wink
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by Vello(m): 8:37pm On Oct 29, 2017
OliviaPope:
and he finally makes it to the homepage grin
Hey Olivia. Could you by any chance be that same Olivia from LASU satellite campus at Anthony in 2011 or thereabout?
If you are, I'm Mr. Bello from SHODEX. That piece of info sufficiently juggle your memory. Should it be I'm wrong, please disregard.
Thanks
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by budaatum: 8:49pm On Oct 29, 2017
urahara:

This post reeks of desperation .its almost as if deep down you know that the concept of god as portrayed by Yahweh is ridiculous , hence your use of other god constructs .
You noticed the agony?
He is going through a metamorphosis.
Rebirth is painful.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by budaatum: 8:53pm On Oct 29, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Why are always quick to quit when you are conversing with me grin . Are you afraid cheesy
Excuse me. But when I committed this sin with Empedocles, you made me serve penance!

Serve Penance jo!
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by hopefulLandlord: 8:54pm On Oct 29, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Fundamentally, the Big bang theory is a retropolation of the observed expansion of the known universe to a point particle, using the known laws of physics. As such, your statement is inaccurate for the the following reasons:

(1) There may yet be parts of the universe that remain unknown, which may completely falsify the big bang theory.

(2) once the universe is shrunk to a size with diameter approximately the scale of Plank's length, the known laws of physics completely breakdown, including those of quantum physics. This doesn't mean the universe ceases to exist at such scales, it just means we don't have any laws to describe anything that might exist at such a scale. Clearly, this implies that there are unknown laws of physics which haven't been accounted for. So, until we rule out all possible laws, it is flippant to claim that "all matter and energy came into existence in the big bang".

Usually, when physicists say things like the universe came into existence with the big bang, the phrase "as we know it" is always an implied preceding caveat. It is unfortunate that this point isn't usually made clear in materials dealing with the subject of the big bang, but that's just what it is. If you did read between the lines of several materials on the origin of the universe, however, this point becomes more obvious.

Take this Forbes article for example, where it is said that:

"If we were to extrapolate “infinitely” far back, we’d reach a singularity, where physics breaks down. With our modern understanding of the very early Universe, we know that an inflationary state preceded the hot, dense Big Bang, and that inflationary state was of an indeterminate duration. So when we speak of “the age of the Universe,” we’re talking about how much time has passed since the Universe could first be described by the hot Big Bang until the present day."

Or even this Hawkins article on the origin of time:

"At a singularity, all the laws of physics would have broken down. This means that the state of the universe, after the Big Bang, will not depend on anything that may have happened before, because the deterministic laws that govern the universe will break down in the Big Bang. The universe will evolve from the Big Bang, completely independently of what it was like before. Even the amount of matter in the universe, can be different to what it was before the Big Bang, as the Law of Conservation of Matter, will break down at the Big Bang."

Did you notice that even Steven Hawkins was careful not to rule out the existence of matter before the big bang!

Bottom line: Be circumspect about your claims!

Cc: Proudgorgeousga

Interesting

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by budaatum: 8:58pm On Oct 29, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
What I don't understand is how some people call themselves Agnostic Atheist. Meaning what exactly kwanu? An oxymoron of a million autistic proportion. Lol. Just looking for trouble but I don't mind answers.
Sounds like, "one who doesn't quite know if gods exist or not but doesn't believe in their existence."
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 29, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Interesting
and you had to mention me just to type interesting undecided
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by hopefulLandlord: 9:04pm On Oct 29, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

and you had to mention me just to type interesting undecided
hahaha, it skipped my attention that the post copied you smiley

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:09pm On Oct 29, 2017
budaatum:

You noticed the agony?
He is going through a metamorphosis.
Rebirth is painful.

Ok tell me , what has the nonsense he posted have to do with the OP ? Because I don't see it . Im trying to describe what the rejection of deification means to an atheist with a pantheistic view of what God is as an example and He is telling me deep down bla bla bla Yahweh bla bla bla undecided

grin

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by JackBizzle: 9:13pm On Oct 29, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Ok tell me , what has the nonsense he posted have to do with the OP ? Because I don't see it . Im trying to describe what the rejection of deification means to an atheist with a pantheistic view of what God is as an example and He is telling me deep down bla bla bla Yahweh bla bla bla undecided

grin

undecided

Soon, you willstart remxing deism and "atheistic christianity"

Nonsense
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:22pm On Oct 29, 2017
This is not really saying anything. The word "atheist" in the daily English lexicon is often used loosely to describe non-theistic people. Seeing as they're not some organized body subscribing to any central creed, it's obvious many would differ on exactly what they believe.

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by samsam2019: 9:33pm On Oct 29, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

I've slays said it, all you bible warriors don't even read the bullshit bible

Go read 2 Timothy 3:16–3:17:
Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by samsam2019: 9:36pm On Oct 29, 2017
butterflyl1on:

So which one has sense and what are supposed to be the attributes of your ideal picture of God?
honestly man don't need god. We don't need him at al for anything. We are super intelligent and adaptable enough to handle every obstacle we face on earth.

I'm not certain there is a god or not. But if there is a creator I'm very sure he's not interested in whatever is happening and has already left us to face our ish alone

1 Like

Re: There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe by oglalasioux(m): 9:47pm On Oct 29, 2017
If something or someone made the universe we are still far from finding out. For now the biblical and koranic gods including those of our traditional religions don't exist.

I'm not personally saying there's no God. But I'm 100% convinced my assertion above is true.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Signs You Are Losing Faith In God / Does God Speak To You? How? / Apostle Suleman Poses Enroute To South Africa 'For Help From Above 2017'(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.