Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,371 members, 7,954,501 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:38 PM

JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections (1089 Views)

Senate Wants Mandatory Health Insurance For All Nigerians / Hope Uzodinma: "I'll Conduct Fresh Local Govt Elections In Imo State" / INEC To Now Conduct Local Government Elections – Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by nwakibie3(m): 4:22pm On Jul 25, 2017
The Senate has voted to alter the 1999 Constitution in order to strip the states of power to constitute electoral commissions to conduct local government elections.

The alteration is part of constitutional reforms by the legislature to make local governments become independent of states.

The proposal became the 33rd item of the report on the bill to amend the 1999 Constitution presented by the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu on Tuesday.

Mr. Ekweremadu’s report originally had 32 items, including autonomy for local government areas.

But Dino Melaye, APC-Kogi, said allowing states to oversee conducts of local government elections make a mess of the call for autonomy. Instead, Mr. Melaye moved that the Independent National Electoral Commission should conduct the local elections.

“How do we speak of local government autonomy, without addressing the foundation,” argued Mr. Melaye, in seeking states to be stripped of the power to constitute state electoral commissions to conduct local government elections.

Mr. Melaye’s motion was adopted by his colleagues when put to voice vote called by Senate President Bukola Saraki.

Mr. Ekweremadu’s report had only included proposal for democratically elected local councils, which can directly receive allocations from the federation accounts. In effect, the alteration bill seeks to abrogate the state-LG joint account system.

The bill also proposes that no local council should receive allocation except it is democratically constituted.

At the moment, many Nigerian states have caretaker committees in charge at local councils.

The Senate is still in session considering other items in Mr. Ekweremadu’s report on the bill to further amend the Constitution as at the time of filing this report.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/238116-just-senate-wants-inec-conduct-local-govt-elections.html

Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by Ezigboune: 4:23pm On Jul 25, 2017
shocked undecided
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by kinibigdeal(m): 4:26pm On Jul 25, 2017
I dont support such bill, and if i will..there should be a clause such that if you are not an indigene of a state you cannot contest for any local government election.
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by toniok: 4:32pm On Jul 25, 2017
Are they centralizing or decentralising it? i thought they were clamouring for restructing?
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by profhezekiah: 4:34pm On Jul 25, 2017
This can encourage free and fair election and reduce electoral fraud, for example in just concluded Lagos LG election that it was politicians that selected lasiec ad hoc staff
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by anyimontana(m): 4:35pm On Jul 25, 2017
Some greedy governors won't like dis
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by yarimo(m): 4:41pm On Jul 25, 2017
As long as house of assembly members are concerned, this amendments is dead on arrival grin grin
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by binsanni(m): 4:44pm On Jul 25, 2017
mitchew waiting concern me self
cool
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by seunmsg(m): 4:57pm On Jul 25, 2017
toniok:
Are they centralizing or decentralising it? i thought they were clamouring for restructing?

Unfortunately, this is a big blow to those whose idea of restructuring is to devolve more powers to the states and weaken the center.

The reality of the state of things in Nigeria is that we can't afford very big, powerful and uncontrollable states. We still need a strong center to keep everybody in check. Absolute powers to states will be abused absolutely by the larger than life governors. The administration of local government since 1999 is a perfect example.
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by tukdi: 5:03pm On Jul 25, 2017
This is a welcome development ahsway! cool
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by sunnyb0b0(m): 5:09pm On Jul 25, 2017
kinibigdeal:
I dont support such bill, and if i will..there should be a clause such that if you are not an indigene of a state you cannot contest for any local government election.

Who is an indigene?
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by three: 5:15pm On Jul 25, 2017
Una sef too slow

Anyways a stitch in time...
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by fyneguy: 5:29pm On Jul 25, 2017
grin grin a law that houses of assembly will throw out
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by lilytender: 5:33pm On Jul 25, 2017
The amended constitution will still have to go to all the 36 State Houses of Assembly and must be passed by at least 24 out of the 36 before it can become law. In essence, this is still a joke because the last amendment was reject by the State Houses of Assembly.
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by Okoroawusa: 6:44pm On Jul 25, 2017
will it make d elections credible?
Re: JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections by bsonenterprise: 6:55pm On Jul 25, 2017
I think Saraki is doing a lot of good work people aren't seeing. This is an excellent move. Inec should handle every single election within the country, and those emperors called state govs can always lose vital wards during lg elections so they can feel the grevianances of neglected wards

(1) (Reply)

End SARS Brutality, We Need Police Reform. / Get the Food Ready, In Less than 5years from now, Famine in Nigeria is Unstoppab / Pmb's Appointment Of Dead Persons: Picture Of Death Of The Patient Dog?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.