Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,618 members, 7,843,992 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Are There Really Destinies? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are There Really Destinies? (755 Views)

Is There Really A God? / Is There Really Life After Death? / 2014 Will Determine Destinies Of People, Families, Nations -Pastor E.A. Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Really Destinies? by deluxecad(m): 10:49pm On Feb 07, 2010
This topic may have been discussed or whatever, I do not know. I don't enjoy it when some folks just walk by a topic and just rant: "It has long been treated", and make no reasonable comments. Things change every minute, so do opinions and views. About my topic, is there DESTINY? Does the idea that a destiny exists not make less of prayers and faith that things will happen as we desire and work for? Do things just happen as they've been tailored to happen and not as a result of what we believe and do? Could some people have been destined to be rich and others poor? Does destiny exist?
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by afiq(m): 11:11pm On Feb 07, 2010
NO. God gives us knowledge and wisdom to live our life based on our ability and needs.
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by mamagee3(f): 11:49pm On Feb 07, 2010
Poster. . .

Do you have a destiny? undecided
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by deluxecad(m): 6:19am On Feb 08, 2010
@mama gee: That's the most wrongly asked question ever. If I train vigorously and end up being the greatest boxer of all time, does that mean that that was what I was destined to be? Could I not have excelled in other areas of endeavor if I worked hard at them? What does it mean when the bible says: "I can do(be) all things thru Christ which strengthens me"?
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by agathamari(f): 1:04pm On Feb 08, 2010
depends on your religion. some religions believe in it, others do not. believing in a destiny is a personal choice
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:45pm On Feb 08, 2010
We are all destined to die and return to dust no matter how much we try to avoid it. grin

That is the only destiny i believe in. It is gravely unfortunate for some of my Hausa acquaintances that regularly try not to have entrepreneurial ambitions simply because they believe if it is in their destiny to be successful, wealthy and happy, then God will do it when the right time comes. otherwise they are content with sitting under a breezy shade and surviving on whatever meagre income they can beg,borrow or find by accident.

I believe that we make whatever destiny we choose and as long as we stay the course required to fulfill that destiny, then we will reach it. wink
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by deluxecad(m): 9:50pm On Feb 08, 2010
Yes! That I believe too.
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by Marlbron: 11:20pm On Feb 08, 2010
Yes destiy exist. Every man has his own. If you believe that God created you, would it not seem reasonable that your comng to the earth plane was to serve out a purpose? At the level of our existence on earth it looks like destiny does not exist, but it does. It cotrols everything. At a higher level, far beyod your imagination,your case has long been treated.

Think about Christ. After Adam sinned, it was already decided that he would come more than 4000years b4 he came!
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by AbuZola3(m): 11:22pm On Feb 08, 2010
Even jesu a.k.a cross god did not know his destiny check luke 22:42
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by deluxecad(m): 6:30am On Feb 09, 2010
@Abu: what r u saying my dear?
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by PastorAIO: 11:46am On Feb 09, 2010
Yes, I believe in destiny, though my faith in it wavers sometimes. 

It is necessary to make a distinction between destiny and history.  Can such a distinction be made?

Perhaps I'm conflating a lot of different issues here.  Let me try to break it down into something a lot simpler.

I believe that the Actual course of history is ELASTIC.  In other words, it can take up various forms. 

Of these various forms there is one that is optimal.   (Not only optimal, but meant to be, not only meant to be, but ultimately will be.)  This is what I meant by destiny.

But there are other forms it may take that deviate away from the optimal course.  What are the influences that cause this deviation in history away from the optimal course called Destiny?  That is a big topic requiring, not one, not two, not three but, probably about 5 threads of it's own.

You can think of it as a path from one place to another.  Eg, from Town A to Town B.   Now imagine that are you are taking the journey that there are numerous influences and factors on the sides that are enticing you to stop and take a side route.  It might be that are you are walking the path you meet a beautiful girl selling some wares.  She might invite you to briefly come and see her home which is just down to the left a little off the main street.  It'll seem like a harmless little detour that won't take you much time at all. 

Further down the road, you might meet another guy that you think is a pretty cool guy and very intelligent.  He might tell you that in fact the shortest and easiest way to get to town B is via a short cut that he knows and not via your main path.  The guy will seem really sharp like he knows what he is talking about.

Even further down the road you might hear that there is a road block ahead and that there is no point continuing on the path. etc

So you see, there are many influences and factors that might cause you to deviate from the original path that you were meant to take.  The actual path that you do take will be a combination of all these influences.  That is what I called the Course of History.  The Original path that you were meant to take is what I call Destiny.
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by Joagbaje(m): 7:29am On Feb 10, 2010
God created every man for a purpose. A christian has two destinies ;
There is destiny in the world which has to do with gifts,talents and professional abilities to bless your world . There is destiny in God also ,which has to do with ministry and calling, how expand and edify Gods kingdom.
A man that is not born again may discover partially some things about his destiny in the world , he may become a movie star, musician and great business man. he dies and go to hell , but did not fulfill his purpose.

Matthew 16:26
    For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Our lives are like a play or film script which had been well writen . Every good thing you ought to be had been planned,they have been written  in the book of life. The book of life contains all you need to be in this life , it contains how many cells you will have in your body, how many strands of hairs in your body.

Psalm 139:14
,  and in thy book all my (body) members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

Jesus said even our hairs have serial numbers!

Luke 12:7
    But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

But it is left for a man to discover his purpose and obey Gods destiny for him. A man may not know his destiny, he may know it and refuse to yield.

Jesus knew why he came, and he had the responresponsibility it or fail.

Hebrews 10:7
    Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

John 18:37
    ,  To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

That is why every man needs to get born again and receive the holyghost. A man that is not born again can not fulfill destiny! Everything God has for a man is in the holyghost.

1 Cor. 2:10-11
    But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. [11] For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

QUESTION
: When bad thing happen how do i know if its my destiny
ANSWER  : God never made bad plan for you

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by deluxecad(m): 9:40am On Feb 10, 2010
My brothers and sisters, if there's destiny as your analogies have put it, then there shouldn't be any basis for judgement on the so called last day since there's already a blueprint for our lives, no matter how hard we try, it'd still play out the way it had been planned. Too bad.
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by Joagbaje(m): 10:10am On Feb 10, 2010
deluxecad:

My brothers and sisters, if there's destiny as your analogies have put it, then there shouldn't be any basis for judgement on the so called last day since there's already a blueprint for our lives, no matter how hard we try, it'd still play out the way it had been planned. Too bad.
Destiny cant play out by itself, Faith and obedience are required. many people die without discovering destiny,
God told Moses to get the people of israel out of Egypt and take them to promised land. Moses succeded to get them out of Egypt but failed to take them into the promised land. Man has a part to play. Jesus would have failed if he followed his feelings rather than the word.

Hebrews 10:7
Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

But it wasnt automatic for him

Matthew 26:39
And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

He had to motivate himself

Hebrews 12:2
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by PastorAIO: 10:41am On Feb 10, 2010
deluxecad:

I think that what you are asking about is not quite destiny but determinism. You want to know if the universe is pre-determined.

Destiny suggests intent but not what will happen by necessity. It is linked to the word destination. If I am travelling on a journey and I have a destination that doesn't necessarily mean that I will get to my destination.
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by deluxecad(m): 11:08am On Feb 10, 2010
@PASTOR: I wouldn't be talking about determinism, I know what I'm distressed about when I ask about the reality of a destiny. Was Jesus destined to save mankind thru the manner of death He died and the level of humiliation He was put thru? Was it the destiny of Judas to have betrayed his master? Would it be fair for him to be damned if he was destined to? Maybe someone can help explain this thing to me.
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by Joagbaje(m): 11:25am On Feb 10, 2010
Jesus death was foretold , He died a death of faith. he didnt feel humiliated. He had a choice to disobey.

John 15:13
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Judas's action was foretold too, and he also had a choice, but the greed of his heart would not allow him, Satan used his greed against him. He had a choice to repent after he realised his error but satan destroyed him in pride
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by g1(m): 11:57am On Feb 10, 2010
@poster, i myself dont believe in destiny, i just live life and take it as it comes whichever way, if something good happens i enjoy the moment and be happy about it, if something bad happens i accept it as it is and move on, s.h.it happens you cant always have stuff your own way,
finally like one poster said if there is one destiny i believe in then it is death, we humans like all evolved species out there must die, get rotten and turn to dust!!!! its the fact of life

peaceout
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by deluxecad(m): 12:46pm On Feb 10, 2010
g1: wat do u mean by 'evolved species'?
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by g1(m): 12:49pm On Feb 10, 2010
deluxecad:

g1: wat do u mean by 'evolved species'?

i meant every other animal out there like us will eventually die
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by deluxecad(m): 2:35pm On Feb 10, 2010
@g1: Leave evolution out of this, unless I understand what u didn't imply. Death is the end of all things, we know, tho not all will die as d bible recorded b4 christ returns. I'm talking about destiny as it relates to what happens to a person while he yet lives. Are our lives programmed to follow an unavoidable path or pattern?
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 10, 2010
YES! There is destiny but the singular truth is that Destinies are changeable, editable and modifiable. Simple.
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by abes(m): 4:22pm On Feb 10, 2010
^^^
Do you know your destiny? How do you change, edit, modify what you dont know?
Re: Are There Really Destinies? by g1(m): 5:24pm On Feb 10, 2010
deluxecad:

@g1: I'm talking about destiny as it relates to what happens to a person while he yet lives. Are our lives programmed to follow an unavoidable path or pattern?

no i dont believe our lives are programmed to follow an unavoidable path or pattern? life is what you make of it depending on the circumstances you find yourself, so in order words i do not believe in destiny

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Be Born Again ( Need To Read This And Help ) / Where Are The Regulars? / Fake Pastors Beware!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.