Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,014 members, 7,821,555 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma (20042 Views)

Breif History Of Igede People Of Bunue State / Beautiful Idoma Brides In Pictures / Igede Names And Their Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by Saao(m): 6:56pm On Jul 30, 2017
Do u remember Ajene okpabi? The former ochidoma, why was he ochidoma if you guys claiming something else. Though idomas are not begging u guys, form anything u like.
omenka:
There are lots of misleading info out there, especially when it comes down to issues relating to traditional heritage of people. Ours is just one in a million.

What you have just narrated is the same perception alot of people, especially on this forum, have about the Igede people. Moreso because an Idoma man represents us at the Senate. They feel we are a subset of the Idoma people not knowing that we are totally different from them and more closely related to some tribes in Cross River State in terms of custom and tradition and language.

I am looking to write a comprehensive article regarding this but time is what I've not been having lately. We need to fix the misconceptions out there asap.

Good job.
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by okoji: 7:09pm On Jul 30, 2017
Zabilon007:
The problem is from the Igede people.... When you ask them their tribe, they simply align with Idoma. They say "Idoma"

Not true. An igede will say igede except he doesn't what to start explaining because most people always ask ,which one is igede?

1 Like

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by okoji: 7:14pm On Jul 30, 2017
Igede women are super beautiful and humble.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by BiafraBushBoy(m): 7:16pm On Jul 30, 2017
ymee:

Yeah

Do you run trainings?
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by ALCOHOLKILLS(m): 7:19pm On Jul 30, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:
But why you copy my name na

Igedebushboy

Biafrabushboy.

Nawa ooo... Una sabi copy copy for Nigeria ooo

Enjoy this erotic story for the weekend!! Men of god should stay off!!

Vaseline crew... Welcome!!

Sad story of a sex slave

expect something like AFONJABUSHBOY soon cheesy grin
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by BiafraBushBoy(m): 7:21pm On Jul 30, 2017
ALCOHOLKILLS:

expect something like AFONJABUSHBOY soon cheesy grin

Lol... As in ehhh..

Hahahaha... Even me sef shock!
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by mysticwarrior(m): 7:22pm On Jul 30, 2017
omenka:
Just imagine! Of ALL what has been said on this thread, this is the one that sprang your fancy to life. sad
what else do you expect after it has been confirmed that you have beautiful ladies in Igedeland, pls kindly give him an accurate description on how to get to Igede land, and don't be surprise because soon Igede land will be flocked by adventurous Nigerians especially our brothers from the west who have a high reputation of having beautiful ladies as their conquests.
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by Benzy001: 7:23pm On Jul 30, 2017
Igede tribe is different from idoma tribe igede ihooo

3 Likes

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by omenka(m): 7:23pm On Jul 30, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Na true say Igede man been don rule as Ochidoma before? If Yes, what changed?
Ajine Okpabi was a very educated man back then and found favour in the sights of the first Paramount Ruler, Ogiri Oko.

Ajine worked in a clinic in Late Ogiri Oko's hometown, Adoka, and also lived in a house provided by him.

At some point, he got married to the King's daughter but she couldn't bear him a child prompting her to suggest he married her younger sister. Given how much he was loved by the family, including the Paramount Ruler, the marriage was sealed.

Ogiri Oko went on to name Ajine Okpabi as the hair to his throne. It didn't go down too well with the council of chiefs but the "king had spoken".

That was how Ajine became the Ochi'Idoma.

He named one of his sons after the late king and his benefactor, Ogiri, who went on to become the deputy governor of Benue state.

Ajine became the Ochi'Idoma not because Igede and Idoma are the same but because Ogiri Oko personally anointed him to the throne.

With no prejudice to Idomas, culturally, we are more intertwined with the people of CRS than we are to them. But we are still brothers and share common political interests even though most of our people tend to trust the Tivs more than we do them. This is purely because they've not allowed us produce the Senator for Benue South since the inception of the Forth Republic.

Cc: Saao, Xlpacks.

5 Likes

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 30, 2017
Simple solution to the matter, Go n report it to Google Maps or better send them an email. There is a missing place over there you can add your tribe there.
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:26pm On Jul 30, 2017
omenka:
Ajine Okpabi was a very educated man back to there and found favour in the sights of the first Paramount Ruler, Ogiri Oko.

Ajine worked in a clinic in Late Ogiri Oko's hometown, Adoka, and also lived in a house provided by him.

At some point, he got married to the King's daughter but she couldn't bear him a child prompting her to suggest he married her younger sister. Given how much he was loved by the family, including the Paramount Ruler, the marriage was sealed.

Ogiri Oko went on to name Ajine Okpabi as the hair to his throne. It didn't go down too well with the council of chiefs but the "king had spoken".

He named one of his sons after the late king and his benefactor, Ogiri, who went on to become the deputy governor of Benue state.

Ajine became the Ochi'Idoma not because Igede and Idoma are the same but because Ogiri Oko personally anointed him to the throne.

With no prejudice to Idomas, culturally, we are more intertwined with the people of CRS than we are to them. But we are still brothers and share common political interests even though most of our people tend to trust the Tivs more than we do them. This is purely because they've not allowed us produce the Senator for Benue South since the inception of the Forth Republic.
I get it. Dude became King because of royal favor not based on his Igede heritage.

Meanwhile, I don give our friends shocker as regards Portharcourt. It's a good read

https://www.nairaland.com/3955926/phc-how-ikwerre-people-rivers#58987193
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by omenka(m): 7:27pm On Jul 30, 2017
Saao:
Do u remember Ajene okpabi? The former ochidoma, why was he ochidoma if you guys claiming something else. Though idomas are not begging u guys, form anything u like.
I already answered that question.

And come on, you are sounding upset already. No one is forming anything. We are still brothers with the Idomas anyday anytime. Nothing's gonna change that. We are just tryna make some clarification in the details of our relationship.
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by omenka(m): 7:29pm On Jul 30, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

I get it. Dude became King because of royal favor not based on his Igede heritage.

Meanwhile, I don give our friends shocker as regards Portharcourt. It's a good read

https://www.nairaland.com/3955926/phc-how-ikwerre-people-rivers#58987193

Okay. Will go check it out.
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:30pm On Jul 30, 2017
omenka:
Okay. Will go check it out.
It's a good read...

1 Like

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by omenka(m): 7:33pm On Jul 30, 2017
solexybaba:
Same problem wit d Etulo tribe also in benue state.bt we r classified under tiv.which is not proper.
Hmmm. Nairaland is indeed vast. Didn't imagine we have Etulos here too. smiley

Nice to meet you.
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by Jonwesley(m): 7:37pm On Jul 30, 2017
omenka:
There are lots of misleading info out there, especially when it comes down to issues relating to traditional heritage of people. Ours is just one in a million.

What you have just narrated is the same perception alot of people, especially on this forum, have about the Igede people. Moreso because an Idoma man represents us at the Senate. They feel we are a subset of the Idoma people not knowing that we are totally different from them and more closely related to some tribes in Cross River State in terms of custom and tradition and language.

I am looking to write a comprehensive article regarding this but time is what I've not been having lately. We need to fix the misconceptions out there asap.

Good job.

You and the op are out of your mind. What good job done, because of late the igede people have suddenly woken up. Go with self determination now. Biting the fingers that fed you. Why not jungle don mature. Imagine a tribe attributing an ethnic entity. Go on and blame Google. Google knows much more than you both and stop confusing the facts.

Yes, you are not dialetrically the same with the idoma, but recognize the classification well and get away with yourself. Idoma is not even having a hoot of that rubbish any longer. The Idoma gave u the ropes to pull, sacrifice their pride and allowed ur Abraham Ajene Okpabi rulled as the Och Idoma for about 15 years. None of the Idoma man has ever held on the stool like ur Igede man. Politically in Nigeria, you are no where, only the state can give your people that recognition. Enough of your treacherous, mudslinging write up on this giving yourself a self arrival pride.

But you, omenka has always been a reference point when the state and particularly the Idoma story appears here on Nairaland. Today, pls stop attributing or arrogating such prowess on yourself. You are not Idoma, so you may not say the right thing about the Idomas. And by these aforementioned defamatory facts, Nairaland should know that a mere study of the history of a people does not tantamount to making the person part of the tribe or the people. Omenka and his cohorts should not speak for the Idoma any longer on this forum. Imagine the nonsense. History is sacrosanct, and the facts don't lie. If you like go on and quote me further, and the spirit of the God head and fore fathers descend upon you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by Prestige16(m): 7:42pm On Jul 30, 2017
I love all the arguements and its really making sense... I know the etulos will also speak up one day and clarify the difference between them and the tiv people

1 Like

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by okoji: 7:42pm On Jul 30, 2017
Jonwesley no be fight oga. Idoma is close to igede but not same. That's the point.

1 Like

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by mysticwarrior(m): 7:44pm On Jul 30, 2017
op you forget to tell us of how Igede witches are well known to fly in broad daylight.
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by omenka(m): 7:50pm On Jul 30, 2017
Jonwesley:

You and the op are out of your mind. What good job done, because of late the igede people have suddenly woken up. Go with self determination now. Biting the fingers that fed you. Why not jungle don mature. Imagine a tribe attributing an ethnic entity. Go on and blame Google. Google knows much more than you both and stop confusing the facts.

Yes, you are not dialetrically the same with the idoma, but recognize the classification well and get away with yourself. Idoma is not even having a hoot of that rubbish any longer. The Idoma gave u the ropes to pull, sacrifice their pride and allowed ur Abraham Ajene Okpabi rulled as the Och Idoma for about 15 years. None of the Idoma man has ever held on the stool like ur Igede man. Politically in Nigeria, you are no where, only the state can give your people that recognition. Enough of your treacherous, mudslinging write up on this giving yourself a self arrival pride.

But you, omenka has always been a reference point when the state and particularly the Idoma story appears here on Nairaland. Today, pls stop attributing or arrogating such prowess on yourself. You are not Idoma, so you may not say the right thing about the Idomas. And by these aforementioned defamatory facts, Nairaland should know that a mere study of the history of a people does not tantamount to making the person part of the tribe or the people. Omenka and his cohorts should not speak for the Idoma any longer on this forum. Imagine the nonsense. History is sacrosanct, and the facts don't lie. If you like go on and quote me further, and the spirit of the God head and fore fathers descend upon you.
Shoooooo! What is this rant really about? Do I know you? Why don't you take your anger and frustration elsewhere?

You say if I like I should go and quote you further? Dude, i don't even know you exist and I doubt I've EVER quoted you especially regarding anything of this nature. Sure you aren't drunk or hallucinating?

Scram go look for your playmates abeg.

What utter nonsense.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by StarPlayer: 7:51pm On Jul 30, 2017
omenka:

Good job.

IgedeBushBoy:
Thanks bro. You took it spot on. Will be expecting your piece.

But when Ajene was Ochi'doma, all this talk were not coming out oh. I thought you people declared your selves as Tiv? Please choose one story and stick to it.
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by omenka(m): 7:52pm On Jul 30, 2017
okoji:
Jonwesley no be fight oga. Idoma is close to igede but not same. That's the point.
I don't even know that kid oo. Just jumped into my mentions ranting like a mad man. Shoo!

Who dey fight with am here?

2 Likes

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by omenka(m): 7:58pm On Jul 30, 2017
StarPlayer:

But when Ajene was Ochi'doma, all this talk were not coming out oh. I thought you people declared your selves as Tiv? Please choose one story and stick to it.
I have already answered the Ajene Okpabi stuff, reason why it is important you read previous comments on a thread before commenting especially when you arrive late.

Your "you people declared yourselves Tivs" is just a lame and downright boring attempt at slight. How are Igedes Tivs?

This thread is not a thread aimed at denigrating anyone or any tribe, it is just a little attempt at clarification. Anyone why tried to make it look like an Igede vs Idoma stuff is MOST CERTAINLY NEITHER IGEDE OR IDOMA but an outsider trying to cause a rift between us.

Good bye.

1 Like

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by toyota3(m): 8:03pm On Jul 30, 2017
am currently serving in cross rivers and i must say that the state is very confusing.. too many languages and tribe... calabar pple speak efik... ogoja and benue have a similar language and culture.. ikom is different... no wonder they are so divided....
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by StarPlayer: 8:12pm On Jul 30, 2017
omenka:
I have already answered the Ajene Okpabi stuff, reason why it is important you read previous comments on a thread before commenting especially when you arrive late.

Your "you people declared yourselves Tivs" is just a lame and downright boring attempt at slight. How are Igedes Tivs?

This thread is not a thread aimed at denigrating anyone or any tribe, it is just a little attempt at clarification. Anyone why tried to make it look like an Igede vs Idoma stuff is MOST CERTAINLY NEITHER IGEDE OR IDOMA but an outsider trying to cause a rift between us.

Good bye.
Not all comments on this forum are meant to be aggressive. I just pointed out a general notion I'm sure you're aware of that Igedes once declared that they are Tivs ( correct me if I'm wrong) I have alot of Igede friends and we all see one another as brothers. Peace!
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by StarPlayer: 8:12pm On Jul 30, 2017
omenka:

Good bye.
Not all comments on this forum are meant to be aggressive. I just pointed out a general notion I'm sure you're aware of that Igedes once declared that they are Tivs ( correct me if I'm wrong) And yes I'm Idoma and I have alot of Igede friends and we all see one another as brothers. Peace!
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by omenka(m): 8:17pm On Jul 30, 2017
StarPlayer:
Not all comments on this forum are meant to be aggressive. I just pointed out a general notion I'm sure you're aware of that Igedes once declared that they are Tivs ( correct me if I'm wrong) And yes I'm Idoma and I have alot of Igede friends and we all see one another as brothers. Peace!
I ask you, where when or how did we declare ourselves Tivs?

That was a very Silly remark to make.

Peace.
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by jesus500(m): 8:21pm On Jul 30, 2017
Jonwesley:

You disrespectful punk, how dare you utter such demeaning words against Igede! Let's see if the statuesque will remain, what is idoma's population compared to igede? Maybe slightly higher, we have been cheated politically at both the state and federal level since the creation of the state because you idoma people are selfish and hateful, you don't want an igede man to become a senator and control you, we have woken up, we are wiser now, its just a matter of time, just watch out, I'm repulsed by your insolence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by azimibraun: 8:22pm On Jul 30, 2017
Igede people of Benue to me are just similar to the Ibaji people of Kogi state. Everybody fro the outside see them as Igalas but from within everybody see them as Ibaji. The difference is that Ajene Okpabi was Igede and was the paramount ruler of the Idoma kingdom. Ogiri Ajene was once Deputy Governor of Benue representing the Idoma race just like Simon Achuba is Ibaji as deputy governor of Kogi state representing the Igalas. Just take as it is. Outside Idoma, within Benue Igede.
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by IgedeBushBoy(m): 8:25pm On Jul 30, 2017
StarPlayer:

Ajene was a two-faced bastard; only cared about his pocket. Declared ourselves as Tivs I guess u don't truly know the Igedes.
Re: Point Of Correction To Google: Igedes Are Igede, Not Idoma by Idango(m): 8:28pm On Jul 30, 2017
omenka:
Ajine Okpabi was a very educated man back then and found favour in the sights of the first Paramount Ruler, Ogiri Oko.

Cc: Saao, Xlpacks.

Ajene okpabi was named the och idoma not just because of his closeness to ogiri oko but because the throne is rotated among the various regions that made up idoma. It was the turn of igedes.

The idomas also have people living in cross river. The iyalas are actually idomas. An idoma person can understand when an iyala person speaks to some extent.

It will be really difficult for the igedes to produce a senator for Benue south just as it will be difficult for the idomas to produce a governor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yoruba - Translation / An Insight On The Gbagyi People: Real Owners Of Abuja / Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.