Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution (57230 Views)

Buhari Signs Bill Stopping NYSC From Posting Engineering Graduates To Schools / Male Corper & His Bulging Eyes React To Female Corper's Backside In Trending Pic / Nigerians React To Corper Gbadamosi Mayowa Post About Sleeping With His Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by MyNewJackeT: 11:51am On Aug 05, 2017
Govocrete:
Is the NYSC scheme still beneficial to the nation?
Due to the recent development associated with the scheme, I suggest the following:

1. Government should create mechanized (mega) farming in every state of the federation so that corpers will all be posted to these farm for services. This will result into equal posting of corpers.

2. Corpers should be mandated to serve in their state of origin, this will enable most sons and daughters born outside their state or origin to contribute to the development of their states.

Wrong....

NYSC gives you the opportunity to go to places you would never go to in this country.

So you could see Nigeria from a different perspective. So you learn to respect other cultures and know that Not every place is like home so that when you become something in the future you know what policies may or may not work in different regions. And also learn to appreciate the diversity.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 05, 2017
MyNewJackeT:

I'm not sure you've gone to service before I can see that, first do you know why thursdays are always free days in all secondary schools?

It's because corpers do 80-90% of the jobs, and go to CDS on Thursdays, all you see is perverts, it's only natural for a young girl to trip for a corpers, but the truth is not all corpers are the same and not all students are the same and secondly in villages, the students are 18 years and above so who are you to judge or choose for them.
If you don't understand this fact you should shut up.

Corpers owns government schools, without corpers we'll be left with Lazy unmotivated old teachers complaining about them not being paid for months.
Thunder fall on you!
Refrain from my mention in the future.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by MyNewJackeT: 11:57am On Aug 05, 2017
emmyspark007:

Thunder fall on you!
Refrain from my mention in the future.

And that was your only answer to a reasonable argument. grin
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by jefy(m): 11:57am On Aug 05, 2017
My Opinion:

*better plans should be mapped out for Nigerian graduates
*that monthly alawee should be boxed as a startup gift after complition of a 6months to 1year skills acquization scheme.
*The NYSC scheme honestly should be scraped and replaced with a more organised alternative as proposed below.
*thumbs up to the npower initiative,it should be sustained as a means of compulsory employment. Should be structured like an I.T sort of where graduates will be posted to organisations,government and private firms etc for them to gain first hand experience in their respective fields with a fixed monthly pay of 40k
* monthly alawee should be at most 40,000 naira,afterall militants get more than that 'The bloody irony'.
With the above propositions,unemployment will be largely reduced. In addition, secondary school graduates should undergo a compulsory 1year skills acquisition program before jamb.

With the above,government expenditure will be someworth reduced.
See areas government will gain from.
*nysc monthly alawee 9,500k gain. 10k plus npower 30k= 40k
*bicycle allowance: delete
*camp maintanance,officers pay,camp officials/domestic staff
*food wahala:deleted
* NYSC regalia :deleted
*lives saved in regrads to religious bias,tribal sentiments,crisis,accidents,molestations etc
*NYSC publications:deleted
*corruption reduced and eradicated. These Nysc officials and corruption.
The benefits of my propositions far out ways the concerns if the NYSC scheme is scrabed..
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by iceadonis(f): 12:00pm On Aug 05, 2017
Removing it from the Constitution does not mean it's been scrapped....it will only subject the scheme to unnecessary danger.....What youth want is to make the scheme optional.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by boxypane(m): 12:01pm On Aug 05, 2017
innosaint27:
grin shocked grin

The essence of the NYSC scheme has long been defeated. All those crying foul now, I'm sure didn't serve in recent times.

There is more regrets than joy
More fears and tears than peace
More casualties than safety

So much negativity and corruption in the NYSC scheme.

The deletion of the scheme is best for all. A total waste of one whole year of one's life.

Let the FG modify the N-Power scheme a little more. That is a more noble scheme!

Dedicated to the memory of all those who died while serving Nigeria in the NYSC scheme in recent times!

To NwaAmaikpe, for applauding the deletion of the NYSC scheme.

Because you wasted yours, doesn't mean others did.
The scheme has a lot of advantages than the negatives.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Nobody: 12:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This is worthy of celebration....

I know I'd never get back that lost 12months of my life.

But I don't regret it; I met Bilikisu, Sufuyatu, Funke, Iyabo, Ramotu, Oladayo and Monsurat.
What I learnt from these dirty humans would last me a lifetime.
ori e ti buru
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by boxypane(m): 12:05pm On Aug 05, 2017
Evablizin:

Oga you are 3much,you be baba for this your post make brain die,in fact na you biko
Lemme guess, u never had the opportunity to serve, so it won't make sense to u n ur class.
I'm an Npower beneficiary also, but i can categorically tell u that over 50% beneficiaries are ghosting...
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by boxypane(m): 12:11pm On Aug 05, 2017
it's either u didn't serve or u wasted your service year.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by boxypane(m): 12:15pm On Aug 05, 2017
JayKayMaybachz:
Never liked the scheme.. Empower 'em graduates when they're done. They'll start a life with that.

Who Nysc epp sef!! ?
hey u!!!! it helped me coz I started a good business.
it didn't "EPP" u coz u never served or u wasted it.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by nowpresence(f): 12:16pm On Aug 05, 2017
The deletion does not mean it is scraped. IT means it is now open for amendment to suit the present day demand.

I see nothing wrong in the scheme apart from the monthly allowance which should be increased.
I am currently enjoying mine, sometimes I feel home sick but it is just a phase that will pass.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Mbediogu(m): 12:17pm On Aug 05, 2017
It would have been better upgraded than deleted. Oh my God.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by tunnamaniah(m): 12:21pm On Aug 05, 2017
haconjy:
I know those that lack visions will b happy....well for me, the scheme helped me in setting up my own biz, marrying from another tribe, and help me getting to know more p
eople...
lol, soo because I did not like NYSC now, "I lack vision", the way some people jump into conclusion ehn, smh.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by JustMercy: 12:21pm On Aug 05, 2017
I disagree with you sir about canceling of NYSC because of the recent decadence.

The factor responsible for the problem in NYSC affects every other area of Nigeria. E.g. ministries in d state, power, police, hospitals, infrastructures to mention few.
Prove me wrong, is it not the problem of leadership? I did NYSC and it has been one of the memorable time of my life. The target and purpose of NYSC is not for you to make millions and get job. It is meant to give exposure that will further unite our Nation to the Youth. It is to prepare us ahead of the challenge to face in our place of job.

The benefit of NYSC and it good output is much than the problem surrounding is facing presently.

innosaint27:
grin shocked grin

The essence of the NYSC scheme has long been defeated. All those crying foul now, I'm sure didn't serve in recent times.

There is more regrets than joy
More fears and tears than peace
More casualties than safety

So much negativity and corruption in the NYSC scheme.

The deletion of the scheme is best for all. A total waste of one whole year of one's life.

Let the FG modify the N-Power scheme a little more. That is a more noble scheme!

Dedicated to the memory of all those who died while serving Nigeria in the NYSC scheme in recent times!

To NwaAmaikpe, for applauding the deletion of the NYSC scheme.

Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by davidmason(m): 12:28pm On Aug 05, 2017
DRPAIT123:
baba God you too much

i can understand bro..give him the praise.. lol grin grin shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by DonMekino(m): 12:39pm On Aug 05, 2017
armadeo:
Lol.

The guys who are hammering from the nysc uniform and boots would swear for you.

That contract is almost equal to independent petroleum marketer if not better. Almost thrice a year they hammer non stop.

Who gets those contracts. We need to know.

Exactly....
In the camp.. They said that government spends about 75000 to clothe a corper and further hundred of thousands to feed n fend for him.... My guy who sews these clothes n shoes dat they claim is 75000...u raised a good point
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Nobody: 12:49pm On Aug 05, 2017
MadCow1:
Scrapping the NYSC scheme does not carry my support even for a Minute.

One of the best experiences of my life post University was serving in Cross Rivers State.

not everyone gets to serve in a state with rady lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Rozaytee: 12:54pm On Aug 05, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

But I don't regret it; I met Bilikisu, Sufuyatu, Funke, Iyabo, Ramotu, Oladayo and Monsurat.
mumu
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Solumtoonna(m): 1:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
fk001:
I thought you people don't want to serve your fatherland
unfortunately they don't know NYsc helps to keep youth busy for the one year and some can utilize the monthly stipend given to them.

But instead they said
The NYSC is a scam it was meant to develop the north, now it is remove from the constitution same people are wailing.

what do you people want sef??
busy for 1yr, busy doing what? When ur age mates that are into business are already married with kids, NYSC my foot
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by samonisunny(m): 1:25pm On Aug 05, 2017
Is good like that ]
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by UncutSk(m): 1:49pm On Aug 05, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

iswr them dirty die
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by LordOfNaira: 1:58pm On Aug 05, 2017
Richy4:

I just want to say sir that it's not all about you...
You stated that you were a traveller and you were familiar with some states in Nigeria.. But all cannot be as lucky as u are.. Many would have loved to traveled to various states just like u but cannot afford it..U can't just decide to travel without having the means to back up with your travelling plans...

Secondly, Some people got some horrible doubts and premonition about some states in Nigeria based on what they have heard or read.. posting youths to those state to integrate helps to erase such doubt...

People have made long term friendship through the NYSC scheme..Others have been retained in their place of service..

As for those that studied Abroad, Do u think it was not wise to let them showcase the knowledge and skills that they have acquired in foreign land

Besides it's not as if it was only Nigerians that does one year compulsory service..
Turkey Taiwan, Colombia, Iran Algeria, Isreal, Brazil Russia and China all sacrifice one year for their nations..

You wrote this based on how you think the NYSC should be run but you definitely know that it is not run this way. NYSC does little toward integration. Tribalism on Nairaland alone is enough to show that NYSC is failing at integration in spite of the billions pumped into it annually.

About it not being about me, I agree. It's not just about me but about people like me. I had learnt all I could from books and travelling and asking questions (real Education) and not being an opportunist waiting for NYSC to open my eyes to a subculture within a state. Many grads would never go out again once back from NYSC. So without NYSC, they mightn't have seen outside their place of birth. This is rather discouraging and rather forced. It means ordinarily, they weren't adventurous but were forced to be a little bit, by NYSC.

About people making long term friendship, that is a weak argument for NYSC. People collect numbers when parting but I am sure few people keep their friendship. As always, it's all about the person. If you are not sociable or into calling friends or sort, NYSC will hardly change that. You will collect numbers and never call them.

About being retained. Yes, some people are getting retained. A friend of mine was retained in a bank. But that also is not a strong argument for NYSC. If NYSC were not failing, we won't have a high rate of unemployment in the country. Millions will not be showing up every time there is a call for application, even by the Police. So, while some are getting retained, the scheme in its entirety is not really solving the pressing issues of unemployment.

Yes, for foreign grads, I think it is good if they could showcase their knowledge but then to what audience or in service of who? I don't think it should be for the NYSC.

Yes, these countries have military service which is something I have always advocated as a replacement for the NYSC. The military is just the right place to showcase your knowledge. There are so many departments within the Armed Forces. Put grads there and that would be a real service to one's country and one's countrymen.

In all, I believe that the NYSC is just another paramilitary stuff gulping our money. If these people really want to help the youth, they should upgrade our universities and make education more attractive. Introduce workshops in universities and fire up the spirit of curiosity and adventure in students. Everything intended to be provided in NYSC can be included in our curriculum. Then, the issue of unemployment should be seriously tackled. Tribalism should be tackled. NYSC has not and cannot solve that.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by KingTom(m): 2:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
leckjazzy:
Can u pls xpanciate d meanin? I'm sure alot of ppl dnt knw.

See the explanation below

SUPERPACK:
Nysc was removed frm the nigerian constitution, to make way for easy amendment and restructuring of the scheme, this would be impossible if it continues to be in the constitution, Nysc was nt scraped at all, it will continue.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 05, 2017
Cekpo34:

What if the anomalies are corrected? NYSC hasn't outlived it usefulness except you'll show me statistics which indicate that unity and integration have been achieved in Nigeria. Guess what the country would have been like had NYSC not existed at the first place.

grin shocked grin

I am elated you recognized that the NYSC scheme is infilterated by anomalies,

But let me ask you,

Is there anything like positive change in Nigeria?
Is there anything like correction?
Is there anything like sane amendment without sentiments in Nigeria?

THE CORE ESSENCE OF ESTABLISHING THE NYSC SCHEME WAS TO PROMOTE NATIONAL UNITY AMONGST GRADUATE NIGERIAN YOUTH.

This forced unity dies often time after POP where it is even seen to exist.

Has the NYSC scheme stopped the Hausa man from hating the Yoruba man?
Has it stopped the Yoruba man from hating the Ibo man?

A forced unity with life span of 12 months is a failed one sir!

If the NYSC scheme was optional, do you think most Nigerian graduates will bother about it?

I maintain that, the relevance of the scheme ended in the days of our elders. Certainly not now!
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 05, 2017
boxypane:

Because you wasted yours, doesn't mean others did.
The scheme has a lot of advantages than the negatives.

grin shocked grin

I never wasted mine, it was fully maximized sir!
However, my view is in broad sense.

If the majority who have engaged the scheme cannot sing a new song of merriment afterwards, then the scheme should be reviewed.

You don't see clearly by covering one of your eyes, you need to look with both eyes for clarity.

Issues of national interest should be looked into holistically without sentiments rather than a simple personal view.

If you have 10 undergraduate friends, ask them if they would like to serve should the NYSC scheme become optional. I'm sure their answers and reasons will make you see beyond the nice words you deposited.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by peterphd(m): 2:56pm On Aug 05, 2017
MadCow1:
Scrapping the NYSC scheme does not carry my support even for a Minute.

That scheme has a lot of issues which I can't help but agree with but scrapping it is not the solution. Most Nations have something similar to the NYSC in the form of military service for 1 to 2 year after graduation or reaching a certain age.

The issues with the NYSC is that like everything in Nigeria,after it was created, it never evolved to meet the requirements of today. Then it got riddled with corruption that it was more a profit making scheme than anything else. Plus the number of Graduates in Nigeria keeps growing exponentially that the NYSC wasn't prepared to handle that sort of large number of influx.

Even with all these, the pros still outweighed the cons. I say the scheme should be rebranded and restructured not scrapped. Either make it into 1 year full military service or 1 year full skills acquisition and training service. Make such that the Corp members don't need to go through as much hardship as they do currently whilst serving. Provide them accommodation and feeding or increase their pay to match the real requirements of society today.

One of the best experiences of my life post University was serving in Cross Rivers State.
One year military service so that khaki boys will stop worrying civilians.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
JustMercy:

I disagree with you sir about canceling of NYSC because of the recent decadence.

The factor responsible for the problem in NYSC affects every other area of Nigeria. E.g. ministries in d state, power, police, hospitals, infrastructures to mention few.
Prove me wrong, is it not the problem of leadership? I did NYSC and it has been one of the memorable time of my life. The target and purpose of NYSC is not for you to make millions and get job. It is meant to give exposure that will further unite our Nation to the Youth. It is to prepare us ahead of the challenge to face in our place of job.

The benefit of NYSC and it good output is much than the problem surrounding is facing presently.

grin shocked grin

Personal experience is not enough to applaud that failed scheme called NYSC.

I am glad your service year was remarkable for you. But can the majority of those who have served say the same?

My own personal experience was remarkable, I worked tirelessly, day & night without a dime from my PPA. It was not about the money for me, but making a long lasting impact. That I believe, I achieved.
Till date, I still get phone calls from folks over there.

However, you don't just conclude on an issue based on personal experience, you look at it critically, throwing sentiments away.

You have the right to disagree or agree.

I still maintain that, the N-power scheme should be modified a little and the NYSC scheme blotted out.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 05, 2017
jullary:
INFACT! U AV SAID ALL,I STUDIED ABROAD,SERVE IN 2007 AND I GAIN NOTHING FROM IT.

grin shocked grin

Sir, the NYSC scheme adds little or nothing to anyone. Whatever anyone gains at the end of the day is a product of his or her personal engagement, creativity and discipline.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by lalanice(f): 3:31pm On Aug 05, 2017
I won't even read all that, I've always hated the idea. they should please stop it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 05, 2017
MyNewJackeT:

Wrong....

NYSC gives you the opportunity to go to places you would never go to in this country.

So you could see Nigeria from a different perspective. So you learn to respect other cultures and know that Not every place is like home so that when you become something in the future you know what policies may or may not work in different regions. And also learn to appreciate the diversity.

Absolute trash. The greatest hindrance to traveling across states in Nigeria are safety, security, poor roads and a bad transportation system. In the U. S people travel interstate a lot but they don't have any NYSC scheme there. If the road to Niger or Kaduna or even Borno was world standard with emergency services and Boko Harambe or arm robbers wouldn't attack you on the way, why wouldn't people travel? The main thing about it is that no NYSC can further integrate Nigeria more than it already has. And the program has become a waste. What we need in Nigeria for integration is restructuring. Let each zone manage their resources fully and decide their fate. It is wrong take another regions resources to develop another region. I'm Afonja by the way.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 05, 2017
innosaint27:

grin shocked grin

Personal experience is not enough to applaud that failed scheme called NYSC.

I am glad your service year was remarkable for you. But can the majority of those who have served say the same?

My own personal experience was remarkable, I worked tirelessly, day & night without a dime from my PPA. It was not about the money for me, but making a long lasting impact. That I believe, I achieved.
Till date, I still get phone calls from folks over there.

However, you don't just conclude on an issue based on personal experience, you look at it critically, throwing sentiments away.

You have the right to disagree or agree.

I still maintain that, the N-power scheme should be modified a little and the NYSC scheme blotted out.

You can do all this personally without registering for the NYSC scheme. NYSC is a fraud and useless. There is nothing done during NYSC that can't be done without it. And it should even be optional. Let those interested partake in it.
Re: Nigerians React To The Removal Of NYSC From The Constitution by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 05, 2017
12inches1:

You can do all this personally without registering for the NYSC scheme. NYSC is a fraud and useless. There is nothing done during NYSC that can't be done without it. And it should even be optional. Let those interested partake in it.

grin shocked grin

You have simply hit the bull's eyes. Your opinion is a valid input.

Regards!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"RIP English" - Reactions Trail Corps Member's Facebook Post / Pregnant Women In Nysc Camps / Corper Ezeiruaku Ifeyinwa Dehumanised By Chika Viola Anele, Leaves Cross River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.