Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt (6412 Views)

EDC Official Electrocuted Trying To Rescue His Colleague (photos) / PHCN Worker Electrocuted In Isolo, Died Hanging On The Ladder / Graphic Photos: PHCN Staff Electrocuted In Asaba, Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by lizfab(f): 3:07pm On Feb 14, 2010
At least 20 people were killed in Port Harcourt on Saturday when a cable fell onto a bus and electrocuted people inside, the police said.
The police confirmed 20 deaths, but a spokeswoman, Rita Abbey, said the toll could climb higher.

Most of the dead had been passengers on the bus, though some had been passing nearby when the cable came tumbling down during heavy rains that have pummeled southern Nigeria.

The police could not say how many had been on the bus.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/world/africa/14nigeria.html
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by thejonny09(m): 8:44pm On Feb 14, 2010
The Slaughter bus stop happens to be my route to and from work weekly since I leave at PH Town and work at Onne. I am one of the few people that will THANK GOD daily, I was returning from work that morning when the incident happened if not for the early morning traffic jam at the Worji bridge that morning that delayed our bus coming from Akpajo to Slaughter I probably would have been among those poor victims.

The Police report is false because I saw the victims lying there on the road they were more than 30 persons I saw myself already dead, the cable cut and fell on two buses loading Agreey (PH Town), one was filled up with 18 persons while the other was loading and there are food and alcoholic vendors, recharge card vendors and people that just hang around because of the rain when the cable cut.

It is such a tragedy, I which PHCN should be sued for poor maintenance of their installations. And I which and pray that God should remember these poor victims in the day of his resurrection.
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by Airtimex(m): 5:24am On Feb 15, 2010
May their gentle soul's rest in perfect peace,
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by dustydee: 1:04pm On Feb 16, 2010
Just learnt a colleague was among the dead. sad
May their souls rest in peace.
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by oluponpin: 1:14pm On Feb 16, 2010
it was so sad cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by maximized(m): 1:25pm On Feb 16, 2010
What a horrific incident.

May their soul rest in perfect peace.

My sympathy to the affected families and I pray God will give them the fortitude to bear their losses. sad
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by 9jafreak: 2:20pm On Feb 16, 2010
PHCN should be sued and ordered to pay compensations to the families of the deceased.
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by r231(m): 2:33pm On Feb 16, 2010
very sad
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by vislabraye(m): 2:43pm On Feb 16, 2010
One has to thank God. But this tragedy goes a long way to show the irresponsibility of NEPA people.
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by cchioke: 2:58pm On Feb 16, 2010
may there souls rest in peace amen
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by SwtzMinx(f): 3:15pm On Feb 16, 2010
. .sOOO00oo sad!
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 16, 2010
Truth is the death toll is closer to 80 than the 20 originally reported.
The report is highly inacurate.

NEPA is highly culpable for the death of these people.
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by SkySpirit(m): 3:28pm On Feb 16, 2010
My friend dat lives in Woji told me there were abt 60 persons dead including his deskmate in d office. May their souls continue to haunt those who failed in their responsibility to avert dis catastrophe! Amen.
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by Greycells(m): 3:32pm On Feb 16, 2010
May the soul of the departed rest in peace profound!

May God give their families fortitude to bear the loss!!
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by Johnnoo(m): 3:32pm On Feb 16, 2010
9jafreak:

PHCN should be sued and ordered to pay compensations to the families of the deceased.
ur talking as if u r not in Nigeria. Sue them & i bet u'll never get anything out it.

I'm 1 of the pple that went out that morning after the incident 4sight seeing. It was very very horrible. That a thing like this can happen in a country like Nigeria. Where countries like Ghana, SA, are using the modern technology of running Amoured Cables undergroung. The casualities is upto 50.
We should be talking about how to avoid recurrence. There is no maintenance culture in the 1st place. I see always @my PHCN monthly bill some amt surcharge for meter maintenance & all that, &never 4 one day have I seen any maintenance work by PHCN.

NL pls in a position u see urself, help ur fellow citizens by doing the good thing. sad
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by methodyk: 3:38pm On Feb 16, 2010
May God grant them eternal rest!
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by honeric01(m): 3:41pm On Feb 16, 2010
may the good lord have mercy on their souls.
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by MsTom(f): 3:43pm On Feb 16, 2010
Such a terrible thing to happen humans. So sad. May their souls rest in perfect peace and may God grant the families the fortitude to bear the loss.
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by legba1(m): 3:48pm On Feb 16, 2010
I dont know why we dont learn from incidents like this.something similar to this happened close to my office in lagos towards the end of last year, it was indeed a terrible way to die.R I P the dead and may God console the bereaved.This is the country where live means nothing to us.
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:49pm On Feb 16, 2010
what a pity
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by DoubleN(m): 4:04pm On Feb 16, 2010
MsTom:

Such a terrible thing to happen humans. So sad. May their souls rest in perfect peace and may God grant the families the fortitude to bear the loss.
AMEN!!What a pity. cry cry
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by chelseabmw(m): 4:10pm On Feb 16, 2010
so bad to hear this.may their so rest in perfect peace Amen
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by kemisuga(f): 4:12pm On Feb 16, 2010
it is well,
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by Wrex(m): 4:23pm On Feb 16, 2010
I really sympathize with the families of the victims.May their souls rest in perfect peace
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by EzeUche(m): 4:38pm On Feb 16, 2010
My heart goes out to the families of the victims.

Oh Naija my Naija, our infrastructure is crumbling before our eyes!
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by Krum: 4:43pm On Feb 16, 2010
it's unfortunate, may their souls RIP
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by idifu(m): 4:44pm On Feb 16, 2010
sad
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by amaikama(m): 5:27pm On Feb 16, 2010
@poster!! someone just said,"slaughter bus stop" is that the name of the bus stop really jezz!!! may dia soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by bawomolo(m): 5:42pm On Feb 16, 2010
some people need to lose their jobs over this.
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by Tudor6(f): 5:48pm On Feb 16, 2010
Who in their right mind names a bus stop 'slaughter'?. . . .oh, the irony. . . .
Re: 20 Bus Passengers Electrocuted In Port Harcourt by amaikama(m): 5:53pm On Feb 16, 2010
@Tudor, u can say that again my dear, undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A 10 By 8 Shop Container For Sale @ ₦75000 (SOLD) / I Am So Rich, I Bath In Money!!(picture) / 11 Interesting Topics To Talk About With Anyone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.