Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,169 members, 7,821,966 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage (6285 Views)

10 Things That Can Make Your Car Look More Beautiful / Quick Steps On How To Handle A Stuck Accelerator Pedal / How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by obafemee80(m): 3:16am On Aug 13, 2017
[img]http:///a/img923/7783/h9LTj7.jpg[/img]
There is quite a difference between not using your car for a couple of days and not using it for six months.Understand how to prepare your car for long-term storage by following basic maintenance and service.Doing so will go a long way to protecting your car and helping you use it again when you are ready to take it out of storage.
Below are some steps to take in order to protect your vehicle for future use.

1)Do not engage the handbrake when you leave
Engaging the handbrake over an extended period can result in the brake pads getting stuck to the discs or drums.The smarter thing to do would be to use wheel chocks,like a piece of wood or even a brick,to keep it from rolling and leave the car in first gear.

2)Park indoors or use a car cover
If possible,park your car indoors.It'll be safer and cleaner.If you don't have this option, invest in a quality cover.Make sure to buy one made for your car model or type.Also, avoid using the cover indoors as this will ensure any moisture that is left inside will evaporates faster, especially in humid weather.

3)Spark plug care
It's advisable to remove the spark plugs and spray a little oil into plug sockets before putting the plugs back again.This will prevent the insides of the cylinder-head rusting and keep away the moisture.Fuel additives can also be used to provide a protective coating to the insides of the engine.Of course,do this only if you're comfortable handling the mechanics of the car.

4)Clean the interiors before parking the car
Leaving trash in cars such as chocolate or biscuit wrappers,old newspapers,water bottles and left over food items can attract rats,which can damage floor mats,seat covers and even wiring.

5)Fill up the fuel tank
One of the major problems of leaving a car unused is rusting on the inside of the fuel tank.The best way to avoid this is to fill the car to the brim with quality petrol,and even add some fuel additives.This will keep away moisture entering the tank and prevent rusting of the fuel tank.Also,make sure that the tank is sealed properly as well.

6)Battery maintenance
It is better to remove the battery if you're going away for a long time.Also,smear petroleum jelly or grease on the terminals and the wire ends to prevent rusting.Ensure that the battery is fully charged and top up the water level. Store the battery in a cool and dry place,well away from direct sunlight.

7)Paint job protection
A car's paint job can be damaged if the vehicle is parked outdoors,even with a car cover protecting it,due to the dust,grime and moisture.To prevent damage,clean the exterior thoroughly.Make sure to remove any dirt,dust or grime stuck to the vehicle before applying a coat of polish and wax.This will help in keeping moisture away.
Using the car cover will offer complete protection.

8 )Jack Up the Car
Cars that have been stationary for long periods develop flat spots on tyres.To avoid this,use four jacks(or blocks of wood)so that the car doesn't rest on the wheels.Sports cars with low profile tyres can be left without support for as much as two months without any damage to the tyres.

9)Change oil and filters
It is good to change engine oil and air filters. Used oil contains moisture,metal filings,sludge and other corrosive elements. It's best to put in fresh engine oil and new filters before leaving.However,Do drive the car for a few kilometres so that the fresh oil is circulated inside the engine.

10)Keep the tyres properly inflated
Check the tyre pressure and make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure.Proper inflation help prevent cracking of the sidewalls and flat spots.Check the valves and valve caps for leaks and that the valve caps fit properly.

http://m.businesstoday.in/story/auto-bild-tips-if-parking-car-for-long-period-storage-tips/1/197113.html
https://autojosh.com/10-steps-prepare-car-long-term-storage/

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by jnizzle(m): 8:23am On Aug 13, 2017
nice tips
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by awillabo: 8:25am On Aug 13, 2017
Will bookmark this page. When i finally leave this Zoo.

Hope dey work on YAMAHA 1000h motorcycle. cheesy grin

Happy Sunday Great Nairalanders.
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by InvertedHammer: 8:26am On Aug 13, 2017
Do not try #5. Leave your fuel tank as closest to empty as it can possibly get. I learned the hard way.

/
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 13, 2017
Thank you so much for this info, it will be very helpful. I have last year's camry that i intend to park for awhile. Been wasting money paying for insurance and registration when i dont really use it.
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by mlanreh: 8:28am On Aug 13, 2017
Nice write up .... Next time am looking to park a car for a long time I will defiantly fall back on this thread
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by Federov(m): 8:29am On Aug 13, 2017
Informative grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 13, 2017
InvertedHammer:
Do not try #5. Leave your fuel tank as closest to empty as it can possibly get. I learned the hard way.

/
Please what happened? Kindly share your experience to help people like me, i dont really know much about cars.
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by soldierdollar(m): 8:33am On Aug 13, 2017
Cool write up. I am looking for a car blogger to write on my blog
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by InvertedHammer: 8:34am On Aug 13, 2017
SirJeffry:
Please what happened? Kindly share your experience to help people like me, i dont really know much about cars.

It depends on how long. I stored mine for a year. The fuel pump plastic melted because the fuel pump is inside the gas tank. The whole tank has to be brought down and the fuel pump replaced. The fuel injectors had to be cleaned as well. I think anything more than 6 months, the owner should drain the fuel tank. But for a short vacation, leaving the tank full may apply.
Another problem was sticking brake calipers. In all, storing a car for a long time is a very bad idea.
\

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by don4real18(m): 8:35am On Aug 13, 2017
SirJeffry:
Thank you so much for this info, it will be very helpful. I have last year's camry that i intend to park for awhile. Been wasting money paying for insurance and registration when i dont really use it.
Just give me the car instead of parking it
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by Ningi2020(m): 8:35am On Aug 13, 2017
So sweet,very informative.
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by Nobody: 8:40am On Aug 13, 2017
InvertedHammer:

It depends on how long. I stored mine for a year. The fuel pump plastic melted because the fuel pump is inside the gas tank. The whole tank has to be brought down and the fuel pump replaced. The fuel injectors had to be cleaned as well. I think anything more than 6 months, the owner should drain the fuel tank. But for a short vacation, leaving the tank full may apply.
\
Oh I see. One year is too long to park a car.
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by obaival(m): 8:45am On Aug 13, 2017
On dis zoo road abi
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by Reference(m): 9:08am On Aug 13, 2017
Its just a nightmare storing cars. Seals leak, petrol is so corrosive esp high oct. Hydraulic fluids, power steering fluids become something else over time. After a year just be prepared to drain everything but check and change hoses first even the braided ones which in some cases will become brittle especially when you park outdoors, uncovered in this tropical heat system..... and don't forget to check the tension in your belts. Roll the engine and check for cracks which may fail if you just hop in and embark on distant drives....real nightmare.
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by Reference(m): 9:10am On Aug 13, 2017
SirJeffry:
Oh I see. One year is too long to park a car.

Most definitely. Especially in the tropics. I will like to hear the OP's views concerning leaving the windows fully up or giving a gap for the interior to breathe viz other problems.
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by slayking(m): 9:25am On Aug 13, 2017
Been thinking about this. #Helpful

1 Like

Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by Orpe7(m): 9:27am On Aug 13, 2017
What about rats that eat wires from underneath ur car nko
How u wan take stop that one
Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by tommysparks: 9:53am On Aug 13, 2017
Orpe7:
What about rats that eat wires from underneath ur car nko
How u wan take stop that one
rub otapiapia on the wires and underneath the car

1 Like

Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by budosky(m): 10:00am On Aug 13, 2017
This is one of the rare meaningful threads I've seen in recent times.

Obafemee80 thanks for bringing this! wink

1 Like

Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by PAT4HOT(m): 10:27am On Aug 13, 2017
Nice info, I have been thinking of how I will pack my car when leaving for Service.

1 Like

Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by AyoSammyTunDe(m): 12:19pm On Aug 13, 2017
nice write up. it will really help me on my planned vacation this year

1 Like

Re: 10 Steps On How To Prepare Your Car For Long Term Storage by Iamzik: 1:37pm On Aug 13, 2017
@obafemee80

Great post.

Just curious, how does Kia, Toyota, Nissan and Co preserve/store brand new cars without doing most of the above?

(1) (Reply)

Super Star Fully Synthetic Motor Oil / Which Should I Choose Between 2007-2010 Toyota Camry Or Honda Accord? / Honda Accord 2005 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.