Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class (12677 Views)

Covenant University Graduates 238 First Class Honours Students / Olumide Akinyemi Bags First Class From Finnish University, Graduates As The Best / Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Guyman02: 1:25pm On Aug 17, 2017
Only 15, when Private unis are chu[left][/left]rning out hundreds of First Classes these days cheesy
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by ufuosman(m): 1:26pm On Aug 17, 2017
Congrats to dem all
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by otabuko(m): 1:27pm On Aug 17, 2017
MisterLomantic:
LMAO grin

15 out of 4447

The mumu pigs and idiots no know book whereas FUTA in Akure already launched a satellite into space. Redeemers university students invented a 10-minute malaria diagnosis kit. Chief Aderinokun's daughter is the best female Google developer expert in Nigeria. Yoruba boys are working on robots and making breakthroughs in education and business across the world

The idiots were busy celebrating common entrance and WAEC exams they passed through malpractices.

The only thing they kow how to do is operate baby factories and smuggle drugs grin
when shall we do away with tribalism and ethnicity fight. Let your education show in your online interactions. Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by peterobosa: 1:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
How to Plan for the Future of your Business

If you have a business, or you are thinking of setting up one, there is one key thing you need to know: Business Succession Planning.

How you plan for your business to ensure continuity can very well be the defining factor in the kind of legacy you leave behind. As such, it is important that you seek advice from the right professionals.

Whatever your questions may be, Follow FBNQuest on Twitter and tweet your questions with the hashtag #AskTheExpert to get expert advice.
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 1:35pm On Aug 17, 2017
speezyWears:

Hmmm.

Ogun strike that your lie-lie mouth for dere.

dullard buruku
How old are you?
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by ivolt: 1:38pm On Aug 17, 2017
Statsocial:
Lalasticlala TheVictorious
15 out of 4,000 is very poor. Take those same students to imperial college London and 2,000 of those students would graduate with a first class. It is time Nigerian universities realise that it is an indictment on facilities, personnel and administration for a university to graduate a class with such poor performance.

An average UK university in UK would graduate 21% first class. The very good ones like Imperial or Oxford would graduate 41% and good Nigerian uni like Covenant(188/1,400), ABUAD(70/700), Landmark(60/400) are graduating about 10-16%.

Now all the Nigerian graduates from UK, US and credible Private Unis when added together would saturate the job market with high classed degrees making it impossible for graduates of pub unis to get jobs when in competition with them.

Let us face it, no body is going to deny the credibility of a first class degree from Imperial because the University produced over 750 first class out of 2,000. In summary my point is this No ranking would ever put Abia state uni over Babcock or Covenant because they produce lower first class degrees. So these public universities should stop hindering students deliberately.

The consequences of all this crap in public universities are immense but what is more ridiculous is people's acceptance of this problem. Many of these folks would apply to foreign top notch foreign schools and get dropped for having a lower cgpa than someone from Edwin Clark university who also wants the same spot.

Do not get me wrong. I am not saying First class degrees should just be dished out so that graduates from public universities can compete but that favorable conditions(facility, infrastructure, academic support &monitoring, pedagogical approach, problem based learning, protection of student rights, appropriate student to staff ratio, proper residency, electricity, water) in both foreign and excellent Nigerian private universities should be replicated in public institutions so that we can have a degree class that truly represents a student's knowledge, creativity and not ability to thrive despite stress.

You are assuming that an average student in the Nigerian university is willing
and able to cope with academic rigours in top universities.

Oxford and Imperial colleges can graduate higher percentage of first class
because they admitted top 1% brain from around the world, this is not the
case for Nigeria universities.

I am not denying the decaying infrastructures in our universities or the
archaic mentality of some lecturers and administrators.

My point is that any student who gained admission into Oxford or Imperial
college is not an average Joe.

2 Likes

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by onyxo76(m): 1:39pm On Aug 17, 2017
Just 15 first class out of almost 4500, that's not impressive at all,I'm quite sure there are more students who deserve this position, but then isn't the school supposed to be on strike and convocation is going on.
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by binsanni(m): 1:43pm On Aug 17, 2017
mitchew so far you know what i mean.
speezyWears:

When you learn to spell sense correctly.. grin

Adayin

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 17, 2017
MisterLomantic:
LMAO grin

15 out of 4447

The mumu pigs and idiots no know book whereas FUTA in Akure already launched a satellite into space. Redeemers university students invented a 10-minute malaria diagnosis kit. Chief Aderinokun's daughter is the best female Google developer expert in Nigeria. Yoruba boys are working on robots and making breakthroughs in education and business across the world

The idiots were busy celebrating common entrance and WAEC exams they passed through malpractices.

The only thing they kow how to do is operate baby factories and smuggle drugs grin
I don't know how your growing up was, but if you continue like this, you will lead a very sad, miserable and lonely existence.

Internet is where everybody claims to be a gangsta and a hardcore street guy, but I won't be surprised if you're below 23.

Do something useful with your life, nobody cares about your insidious rants.

This is an advise

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 17, 2017
otabuko:
when shall we do away with tribalism and ethnicity fight. Let your education show in your online interactions. Cheers

Same thing I just quoted him with. Maybe he thinks its funny. I really think the guy needs attention and validation. Maybe he didn't get those while growing up
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 17, 2017
ivolt:

Agreed, Oxford admits the best of the best. But that can't be said of the likes of Coventry, Lancaster, Uni of Western London which are average by UK standard and don't necessarily admit the best-you know for most of these UK unis all u need is your own personal funding and an average result. Yet those universities also record outstanding performances.

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by speezyWears: 1:54pm On Aug 17, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:

How old are you?

old enough to detect your lies
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by ivolt: 2:01pm On Aug 17, 2017
Statsocial:

Agreed, Oxford admits the best of the best. But that can't be said of the likes of Coventry, Lancaster, Uni of Western London which are average by UK standard and don't necessarily admit the best-you know for most of these UK unis all u need is your own personal funding and an average result. Yet those universities also record outstanding performances.

Do you have any data for the class results of those "average" UK universities
compared to the top ones ?

Also, the percentage of "natives" in those Unis, needs to be examined.

From experience, I have discovered that simple numbers can't be explained
simplistically, there is usually more to it than meets the eye.

1 Like

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by chigy3: 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2017
oga use your brains now! ABSU is not a technological institution and as such don't offer the below courses. for your info, they produce some of the finest lawyers in the country. And why would you even bring ethnicity into this? Read more: https://www.naij.com/1097009-meningitis-7-facts-nigerian-late.html
MisterLomantic:
LMAO grin

15 out of 4447

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Mickynd(m): 2:09pm On Aug 17, 2017
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 2:11pm On Aug 17, 2017
Mickynd:

Bro from your sentence you deserves 100th class
angry
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Gerrard59(m): 2:15pm On Aug 17, 2017
Statsocial:
15 out of 4,000 is very poor. Take those same students to imperial college London and 2,000 of those students would graduate with a first class. It is time Nigerian universities realise that it is an indictment on facilities, personnel and administration for a university to graduate a class with such poor performance.

An average UK university in UK would graduate 21% first class. The very good ones like Imperial or Oxford would graduate 41% and good Nigerian uni like Covenant(188/1,400), ABUAD(70/700), Landmark(60/400) are graduating about 10-16%.

Now all the Nigerian graduates from UK, US and credible Private Unis when added together would saturate the job market with high classed degrees making it impossible for graduates of pub unis to get jobs when in competition with them.

Let us face it, no body is going to deny the credibility of a first class degree from Imperial because the University produced over 750 first class out of 2,000. In summary my point is this No ranking would ever put Abia state uni over Babcock or Covenant because they produce lower first class degrees. So these public universities should stop hindering students deliberately.

The consequences of all this crap in public universities are immense but what is more ridiculous is people's acceptance of this problem. Many of these folks would apply to foreign top notch foreign schools and get dropped for having a lower cgpa than someone from Edwin Clark university who also wants the same spot.

Do not get me wrong. I am not saying First class degrees should just be dished out so that graduates from public universities can compete but that favorable conditions(facility, infrastructure, academic support &monitoring, pedagogical approach, problem based learning, protection of student rights, appropriate student to staff ratio, proper residency, electricity, water) in both foreign and excellent Nigerian private universities should be replicated in public institutions so that we can have a degree class that truly represents a student's knowledge, creativity and not ability to thrive despite stress.

#Wehdone Sir

1 Like

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 17, 2017
ivolt:

Do you have any data for the class results of those "average" UK universities
compared to the top ones ?

Also, the percentage of "natives" in those Unis, needs to be examined.

From experience, I have discovered that simple numbers can't be explained
simplistically, there is usually more to it than meets the eye.

Unfortunately, I don't have a comprehensive list of all UK universities and the number of firsts they issue but i know a survey that put d national average at 21%.
Although i must say that even in the Uk there are serious accusations of grade inflations and some folks in UK believe that higher education has been commercialized and universities feel pressured to churn out first class graduates. Plus the national university survey for student satisfaction has also be fingered as a reason why academicians feel pressured to "lower standard". But in the Uk the issue has been over flogged. Students are simply more committed these days because no one wants to pay £9500 pounds in the university and fail..
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Riodebla: 2:17pm On Aug 17, 2017
them try
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 17, 2017
Could't be said any better. I don't know if they think that fewer first class graduates indicate quality or a superior system.
Statsocial:

1 Like

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 17, 2017
Last year was just three first class...I shout when I see 15
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by biomustry: 2:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
TRUTH2020:
DON'T BE SURPRISE THAT AN hausa man that studied islamic studies will get a far better job than them that is if they don't remain jobless
That is all you can think of, so the Hausas don't have up to 4,000 graduates?
I hope you have graduated too
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 17, 2017
ivolt:

Environment matters
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by ivolt: 3:05pm On Aug 17, 2017
TRUEPATRIOTLOVE:

Environment matters

By how much does environment matters ?
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 17, 2017
Statsocial:

Environment matters
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 17, 2017
ivolt:

By how much does environment matters ?

where did you school
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by ifycoly: 3:22pm On Aug 17, 2017
attention seeker
MisterLomantic:
LMAO grin

15 out of 4447

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by SoldierBoy1(m): 3:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
15 out of 4447 does not depict standard, instead it shows that most of the students who had potentials for more were subjected to the "hardship depicts standard" condition in Nigerian Universities. But instead of Nigerian students to see it as a defilement of their rights, some come online to say things like" 1st class for UK na shit ". It's not shit I must say but picking a scenario of a student studying Mechanical Engineering for example who have had various expository practical sessions, such student does not need much reading as all he/she has to do is replay the mental picture of what was done by him/her in the workshop. But then when all you do is to read handouts with practical work at its lowest ebb, you have a lecturer who comes to class probably 5times in a semester, poor educational facilities etc. Then you come online to say you're a better graduate just because you graduated with a 2.1 in Nigeria. It's high time Nigerian students started thinking and stop seeing hardship ad the yardstick for measuring standard. God Bless.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Martartins(m): 3:31pm On Aug 17, 2017
MisterLomantic:
LMAO grin

15 out of 4447

You are sick man
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by salford1: 3:32pm On Aug 17, 2017
Statsocial:

you are absolutely corrwct. People wonder why there are so many indians studying and getting all the available scholarships of uni in advanced countries. They are not smarter than the average nigerian student from a public uni, but their unis ensure that lots of them graduate with very high percentages; hence making them competitive when they apply to top schools in advanced countries.

Another good example is that a first class graduate from a private uni in Nigeria would be more competitive in an application to say a uni like imperial or a company like Shell than a strong 2.1 from OAU.

1 Like

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by salford1: 3:50pm On Aug 17, 2017
ivolt:

oh yes..Nigerian graduates can indeed cope with the academic rigours of top unis. A lot of lucky Nigerians grad from public schools that were able to get into these top schools usually graduate top of their class.
How does oxford determine the top 1% in the world?
They review your application, and your cgpa is one of the important determining factors they look at.

At the university of Alberta in Canada for example, there are lots of grads from Nigerian private universities. Their grades mostly got them there. How well known the uni they graduated from in their home country is less relevant.

1 Like

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by baum1: 4:50pm On Aug 17, 2017
ivolt:

I had this in mind also and you are right.

He is not wrong either. I believe his point is that the smart ones among them should not be denied this academic achievements. I hear there are some lecturers that don't give A grade to students even when those students have surpassed the requires for an A. Now this is bad...

But I do agree that the quality of intakes most times determines the quality of the outcome. It reminds me of how we said our course was too difficult and 2:1 was gold, yet few years later when the department started admitting more able and talented students, the number of first class grew. I still maintain that sometimes student quality is low, that is why departments don't graduate first class degree students..But many times too, some students are good quality but it just happens that things happened, e.g. sadistic lecturers and all.

The best graduating in my class over a decade ago, a 2:1 guy, in my eyes that guy was a first. I don't know how he ended with 4.48

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? / OAU Takes The First Position In Bamidele Aturu Inaugural Debate / University Of Ibadan Staff Protest Non-Payment Of Arrears (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.