Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class (12676 Views)

Covenant University Graduates 238 First Class Honours Students / Olumide Akinyemi Bags First Class From Finnish University, Graduates As The Best / Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by baum1: 4:59pm On Aug 17, 2017
Statsocial:

Agreed, Oxford admits the best of the best. But that can't be said of the likes of Coventry, Lancaster, Uni of Western London which are average by UK standard and don't necessarily admit the best-you know for most of these UK unis all u need is your own personal funding and an average result. Yet those universities also record outstanding performances.

Yes, this is where the enabling environment, student-centered teaching techniques and non-sadistic lecturers come into play. Those mid-ranking UK universities have all these and more. If a lecturer teaches and you don't understand, you can arrange to meet with a seminar leader assigned to your course to reexplain concepts which you're not clear about. These seminar leaders also hold sessions to go over what was taught that wasn't clear. Most of these are lacking at most Naija schools. Truly, if some of the students get some of these supports, they will do better than they have done...

I recently hired someone who graduated with a below 2:1 GPA from one of those naija universities. Definitely that person wasn't worth a 2:2, more of a 2:1..Yet their degree says 2:2. There are many examples like that..Enabling environment as someone puts it is so so important and those demi god like lecturer who derive pleasure in stifling their students grades should know that they are not doing these students any favour..If the students seek opportunities outside the shores of naija, they will be compared to their mates from elsewhere whose teachers graded them more favourably, according to what the students' academic capabilities

1 Like

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by baum1: 5:05pm On Aug 17, 2017
salford1:

you are absolutely corrwct. People wonder why there are so many indians studying and getting all the available scholarships of uni in advanced countries. They are not smarter than the average nigerian student from a public uni, but their unis ensure that lots of them graduate with very high percentages; hence making them competitive when they apply to top schools in advanced countries.

Another good example is that a first class graduate from a private uni in Nigeria would be more competitive in an application to say a uni like imperial or a company like Shell than a strong 2.1 from OAU.

Is there anything like a 'strong 2:1'? 2:1 na 2:1 now...Though I agree with what you're likely to say - 3.51 and 4.49 are not in the same class..Unfortunately, when they say 2:1 stay one side and others stay the other side, the 3.51 and 4.49 guys will belong to the same side...One of the few places where there is a difference is when applying for graduate studies and there is a competition for scholarships
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Chukazu: 5:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
Statsocial:
Lalasticlala TheVictorious
15 out of 4,000 is very poor. Take those same students to imperial college London and 2,000 of those students would graduate with a first class. It is time Nigerian universities realise that it is an indictment on facilities, personnel and administration for a university to graduate a class with such poor performance.

An average UK university in UK would graduate 21% first class. The very good ones like Imperial or Oxford would graduate 41% and good Nigerian uni like Covenant(188/1,400), ABUAD(70/700), Landmark(60/400) are graduating about 10-16%.

Now all the Nigerian graduates from UK, US and credible Private Unis when added together would saturate the job market with high classed degrees making it impossible for graduates of pub unis to get jobs when in competition with them.

Let us face it, no body is going to deny the credibility of a first class degree from Imperial because the University produced over 750 first class out of 2,000. In summary my point is this No ranking would ever put Abia state uni over Babcock or Covenant because they produce lower first class degrees. So these public universities should stop hindering students deliberately.

The consequences of all this crap in public universities are immense but what is more ridiculous is people's acceptance of this problem. Many of these folks would apply to foreign top notch foreign schools and get dropped for having a lower cgpa than someone from Edwin Clark university who also wants the same spot.

Do not get me wrong. I am not saying First class degrees should just be dished out so that graduates from public universities can compete but that favorable conditions(facility, infrastructure, academic support &monitoring, pedagogical approach, problem based learning, protection of student rights, appropriate student to staff ratio, proper residency, electricity, water) in both foreign and excellent Nigerian private universities should be replicated in public institutions so that we can have a degree class that truly represents a student's knowledge, creativity and not ability to thrive despite stress.

Nigerian Universities are very stingy when it comes to awards of first class... Am even surprised they reach 15. for ABSU
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 17, 2017
MisterLomantic:
LMAO grin

15 out of 4447

The mumu pigs and idiots no know book whereas FUTA in Akure already launched a satellite into space. Redeemers university students invented a 10-minute malaria diagnosis kit. Chief Aderinokun's daughter is the best female Google developer expert in Nigeria. Yoruba boys are working on robots and making breakthroughs in education and business across the world

The idiots were busy celebrating common entrance and WAEC exams they passed through malpractices.

The only thing they kow how to do is operate baby factories and smuggle drugs grin

God!!!
how did u become soo senseless??!

to shoot u jxt dey hungry
Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by Stbottle(m): 11:46pm On Aug 17, 2017
Statsocial:
Lalasticlala TheVictorious
15 out of 4,000 is very poor. Take those same students to imperial college London and 2,000 of those students would graduate with a first class. It is time Nigerian universities realise that it is an indictment on facilities, personnel and administration for a university to graduate a class with such poor performance.

An average UK university in UK would graduate 21% first class. The very good ones like Imperial or Oxford would graduate 41% and good Nigerian uni like Covenant(188/1,400), ABUAD(70/700), Landmark(60/400) are graduating about 10-16%.

Now all the Nigerian graduates from UK, US and credible Private Unis when added together would saturate the job market with high classed degrees making it impossible for graduates of pub unis to get jobs when in competition with them.

Let us face it, no body is going to deny the credibility of a first class degree from Imperial because the University produced over 750 first class out of 2,000. In summary my point is this No ranking would ever put Abia state uni over Babcock or Covenant because they produce lower first class degrees. So these public universities should stop hindering students deliberately.

The consequences of all this crap in public universities are immense but what is more ridiculous is people's acceptance of this problem. Many of these folks would apply to foreign top notch foreign schools and get dropped for having a lower cgpa than someone from Edwin Clark university who also wants the same spot.

Do not get me wrong. I am not saying First class degrees should just be dished out so that graduates from public universities can compete but that favorable conditions(facility, infrastructure, academic support &monitoring, pedagogical approach, problem based learning, protection of student rights, appropriate student to staff ratio, proper residency, electricity, water) in both foreign and excellent Nigerian private universities should be replicated in public institutions so that we can have a degree class that truly represents a student's knowledge, creativity and not ability to thrive despite stress.

I went as far down as possible to find anyone who'ld say nonsense about this post. Thank God i found none, cz the clapback i was cooking would have been destructive. You have spoken very well all the way.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia State University Graduates 4,447, Records 15 First Class by oyezsenior(m): 9:05pm On Aug 18, 2017
baum1:

I had this in mind also and you are right.

He is not wrong either. I believe his point is that the smart ones among them should not be denied this academic achievements. I hear there are some lecturers that don't give A grade to students even when those students have surpassed the requires for an A. Now this is bad...

But I do agree that the quality of intakes most times determines the quality of the outcome. It reminds me of how we said our course was too difficult and 2:1 was gold, yet few years later when the department started admitting more able and talented students, the number of first class grew. I still maintain that sometimes student quality is low, that is why departments don't graduate first class degree students..But many times too, some students are good quality but it just happens that things happened, e.g. sadistic lecturers and all.

The best graduating in my class over a decade ago, a 2:1 guy, in my eyes that guy was a first. I don't know how he ended with 4.48
ended with 4.48? Why are nigerian universities this wicked?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? / OAU Takes The First Position In Bamidele Aturu Inaugural Debate / University Of Ibadan Staff Protest Non-Payment Of Arrears (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.