Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,259 members, 7,836,185 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

Al-istikhaarah Simplified - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Al-istikhaarah Simplified (4741 Views)

Al Noor Mosque In Abuja Is A Place Where Ladies Market Themselves - Man / Is The Basmalah (بِسْمِ اللهِ) An Actual Verse Of Al Fatiah Or Not? / Major Sins(Al-kabirah) In Islam and Repentance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Al-istikhaarah Simplified by Kunlexity(m): 8:25am On Aug 18, 2017
Definition of Istikhaarah

Istikhaarah in Arabic means seeking guidance to make a decision concerning something or seeking guidance to make appropriate choice from Allah by means of prescribed du’a narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).

Istikhaarah is….

* Submission to the command of Allah and a practical demonstration that one has no power and no strength of one’s own.

* Prescribed in cases where a person does not know the right decision to make in matters where it is known whether a thing is good or bad.

* Not prescribed when it comes to things that are obligatory, haraam or makruh. Meaning that there is no need to do istikhaarah whether to perform acts of worship or to commit sin or evil action.

* To be prayed when one starts to think of the matter with an open mind, and not have decided on a specific course of action.

Ruling

The scholars are unanimously agreed that Istikhaarah is Sunnah. The evidence that it is prescribed is the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari from Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to teach his companions to make istikhaarah in all matters, just as he used to teach them soorahs from the Qur’aan. He said: ‘If any one of you is deliberating about a decision he has to make, then let him pray two rak’ahs of non-obligatory prayer, then say:

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْتَخِيـرُكَ بِعِلْمِكَ، وَأسْتَقْدِرُكَ بِقُدْرَتِكَ، وَأَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ فَضْلِكَ الْعَظِيمِ، فَإِنَّكَ تَقْدِرُ وَلَا أَقْدِرُ، وَتَعْلَمُ وَلَا أَعْلَمُ، وَأَنْتَ عَلاَّمُ الْغُيُوبِ، اللَّهُمَّ إِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَا الَأمْرَ (وَيُسَمِّي حَاجَتَه) خَيْرٌ لِي فِي دِينِي وَمَعَاشِي وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي، فَاقْدُرْهُ لِي وَيَسِّرْهُ لِي ثُمَّ بَارِكْ لِي فِيهِ، وَإِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَا الأَمْرَ شَرٌّ لِي فِي دِينِي وَمَعَاشِي وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي، فَاصْرِفْهُ عَنِّي وَاصْرِفْنِي عَنْهُ وَاقْدُرْ لِيَ الْخَيْرَ حَيْثُ كَانَ ثُمَّ أَرْضِنِي بِهِ

Transliteration
Allaahumma inni astakheeruka bi ‘ilmika wa astaqdiruka bi qudratika wa as’aluka min fadlika, fa innaka taqdiru wa laa aqdir, wa ta’lamu wa laa a’lam, wa anta ‘allaam al-ghuyoob. Allaahumma fa in kunta ta’lamu haadha’l-amra (then the matter should be mentioned by name) khayran li fi ‘aajil amri wa aajilihi (or: fi deeni wa ma’aashi wa ‘aaqibati amri) faqdurhu li wa yassirhu li thumma baarik li fihi. Allaahumma wa in kunta ta’lamu annahu sharrun li fi deeni wa ma’aashi wa ‘aaqibati amri (or: fi ‘aajili amri wa aajilihi) fasrifni ‘anhu [wasrafhu ‘anni] waqdur li al-khayr haythu kaana thumma radini bihi

Translation:
O Allaah, I seek Your guidance [in making a choice] by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of h Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things. O Allaah, if in Your knowledge, this matter (then it should be mentioned by name) is good for me both in this world and in the Hereafter (or: in my religion, my livelihood and my affairs), then ordain it for me, make it easy for me, and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge it is bad for me and for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs (or: for me both in this world and the next), then turn me away from it, [and turn it away from me], and ordain for me the good wherever it may be and make me pleased with it).” al-Bukhari (1166).

Note: Some scholars have prescribed what is to be recited in Salat istikhaarah but the most correct is that any particular verses can be recited when praying istikaarah

Du’aa’ should be recited immediately after the prayer

Though Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said in al-Fataawa al-Kubra: Part 2, p. 265, “it is permissible to recite the du’aa’ of istikhaarah before or after the salaam, whether you are praying salaat al-istikhaarah or another prayer.” But the most correct is that the du’aa should be recited immediately after the prayer. The Hanafis, Maalikis, Shaafa’is and Hanbalis stated that the du’aa’ should be recited immediately after the prayer. This is in accordance with what was stated in the hadeeth narrated from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). See al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, part 3, p. 241.

Myths of Istikhaarah

- The myth that is widespread among people is that after praying istikhaarah you should sleep, and whatever good you see in your dream that makes you happy means that what you intend to do is good and will be made easy for you, otherwise it is not good. There is no evidence for this assertion as that is not a condition. What Allaah makes him happy about and easy for him is what Allaah choose not only feel happy about. Shaykh al-Islam [Ibn Taymiyah] (may Allaah have mercy on him) said concerning the matter of feeling happy about something: if he makes istakhaarah, then whatever Allah makes him feel happy about and makes easy for him, this is what Allaah has chosen for him. (Majmoo’ al-Fataawaa, 10/539).

- Another myth is that istikhaarah should be repeated 3 times , 7 times or in odd numbers… There is no set time period for salaat al-istikhaarah; it is permissible to repeat it more than once, but there is no limit to how many times. The person may offer the du’aa’ before or after saying the salaam.

- Taking Istikhaarah as a ‘special occasion only’ prayer or dua. Many think that it requires so much preparation like ritual bath wearing new cloth or white dress. Some will even pray Isha Salah then not speak to anyone, go to bed and wait for a dream of some sort. Istikhaarah is simple and these conditions were not evidenced.

- Seeing Dreams: You don’t have to see a dream but of course you may see a dream. A good dream is a positive sign and a bad dream is a sign of warning regarding that matter of your life in general. And seeing dream after istikharaah is not a condition of one istikhaarah is accepted.

- Asking another person to make Istikharah on one's behalf. This is not substantiated from any Hadith. To make mashwarah' (consult) with someone else is Sunnah but asking another person to make itikhaarah on one’s behalf is not established that is why we need to learn it and be able to recite it like suratul fatiah.

I will like to conclude with the opinion of Imam An-Nawawi, he holes? that “after performing the istikharah, a person must do what he is wholeheartedly inclined to do and feels good about doing and should not insist on doing what he had desired to do before making the istikharah. And if his feelings change, he should leave what he had intended to do, otherwise he is not completely leaving the choice to Allah, and would not be honest in seeking aid from Allah’s power and knowledge. Sincerity in seeking Allah’s choice, means that one should completely leave what he himself had desired or determined.” (Fiqhus Sunnah: 2.32)

May Allah grant us understanding, guide us and accept our prayers.

FIQH CLASS

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by Hadone(m): 8:49am On Aug 18, 2017
Alhamdulillah
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by sod09(m): 8:49am On Aug 18, 2017
jazakhulah brother
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 18, 2017
Ameen brother smiley
Jumuat Mubarak
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by Fizah: 8:58am On Aug 18, 2017
Thank u.
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by mantics(m): 9:00am On Aug 18, 2017
Alhamdulilahi! Jazakumlahi khairan. Almight Allah increases your wisdom OP, this post came at a right time

3 Likes

Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by principalgee: 9:15am On Aug 18, 2017
Thanks for this great reminder, it has helped me alot when it comes to decision making. Islam is d real way

2 Likes

Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by pmc01(m): 9:25am On Aug 18, 2017
JazakaLLahukhayr for the important lessons.
I was taken aback a bit when I saw "simplified".
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by gbadexy(m): 9:27am On Aug 18, 2017
JazakAllah kairan.
can I share the post
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by Protein0: 9:28am On Aug 18, 2017
JazakAllahu Khayran op.
Alhamdulillah for the blessing of Islam
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by Adayi1(m): 9:32am On Aug 18, 2017
Jumat Mubaraq Brother
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by Aosalahudeen: 9:35am On Aug 18, 2017
Jhazaakumullohu khair
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by Kunlexity(m): 9:35am On Aug 18, 2017
gbadexy:
JazakAllah kairan. can I share the post
Cigaba..feel free bro wink
gbadexy:
JazakAllah kairan. can I share the post
Cigaba..feel free bro

1 Like

Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by kdon0000: 9:44am On Aug 18, 2017
Nice post bro
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by GeneralOjukwu: 9:51am On Aug 18, 2017
Kunlexity. Thanks for the educative piece.

Just even researched the topic this very week.

As I understand, if you do Istikhaarah sincerely before you embark on a mission or make decision. ..you can't regret it at the end of the day, no matter how it pans out.

It's involving Allah from the beginning. ..

Jazakhumullah Khairan.

4 Likes

Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by walelamina: 9:53am On Aug 18, 2017
jazakunlla kairan for tis, tank you
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by chakula: 9:54am On Aug 18, 2017
Good to read from this nice article. May Allah strengthen our Imam and obey his commands.

1 Like

Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by walelamina: 9:55am On Aug 18, 2017
Very true
GeneralOjukwu:
Kunlexity. Thanks for the educative piece.

Just even researched the topic this very week.

As I understand, if you do Istikharrah sincerely before you embark on a mission or make decision. ..you can't regret it at the end of the day, no matter how it pans out.

It's involving Allah from the beginning. ..

Jazakhumullah Khairan.

1 Like

Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by emirofcalabar(m): 10:35am On Aug 18, 2017
Jazakhallahu khairan bro
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by NAMAS(m): 10:47am On Aug 18, 2017
JazakAllahu khair
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by personal59: 11:05am On Aug 18, 2017
my question is that how will u go about it if you have two different options

1 Like

Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by binukonu1(m): 11:08am On Aug 18, 2017
please,what are the surahs that one can recite in the two rakahs before the recitation of the istikhaarah prayer?
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by amodu(m): 12:33pm On Aug 18, 2017
Jazakallah Khairan Kunlexity
Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by amodu(m): 12:40pm On Aug 18, 2017
binukonu1:
please,what are the surahs that one can recite in the two rakahs before the recitation of the istikhaarah prayer?

Here is an answer to your question

Note: Some scholars have prescribed what is to be recited in Salat istikhaarah but the most correct is that any particular verses can be recited when praying istikaarah

Re: Al-istikhaarah Simplified by amodu(m): 12:45pm On Aug 18, 2017
personal59:
my question is that how will u go about it if you have two different options

The options should be stated at the stipulated point during the recitation of the Istikhaarah du'au.

Transliteration
Allaahumma inni astakheeruka bi ‘ilmika wa astaqdiruka bi qudratika wa as’aluka min fadlika, fa innaka taqdiru wa laa aqdir, wa ta’lamu wa laa a’lam, wa anta ‘allaam al-ghuyoob. Allaahumma fa in kunta ta’lamu haadha’l-amra (then the matter should be mentioned by name) khayran li fi ‘aajil amri wa aajilihi (or: fi deeni wa ma’aashi wa ‘aaqibati amri) faqdurhu li wa yassirhu li thumma baarik li fihi. Allaahumma wa in kunta ta’lamu annahu sharrun li fi deeni wa ma’aashi wa ‘aaqibati amri (or: fi ‘aajili amri wa aajilihi) fasrifni ‘anhu [wasrafhu ‘anni] waqdur li al-khayr haythu kaana thumma radini bihi

Translation:
O Allaah, I seek Your guidance [in making a choice] by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of h Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things. O Allaah, if in Your knowledge, this matter (then it should be mentioned by name) is good for me both in this world and in the Hereafter (or: in my religion, my livelihood and my affairs), then ordain it for me, make it easy for me, and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge it is bad for me and for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs (or: for me both in this world and the next), then turn me away from it, [and turn it away from me], and ordain for me the good wherever it may be and make me pleased with it).” al-Bukhari (1166).

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

A Mirror To Your Life...................? / Godson Et All, Where Are The Contradictions In The Qur'aan? / Preservation Of The Quran Against Distortion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.