Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire (42320 Views)

Edo Groom’s Dance Incurs Oba Of Benin’s Anger As Palace Places Curse / Oguta Land In Imo State Is An Extension Of Benin Empire / China People And Culture In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by ivolt: 8:16pm On Aug 21, 2017
dominique:
How exactly were they cursed? Did it manifest in the people? Akoko Edo people complain of marginalization and under development, could that be the effect of the curse? Someone she'd more light pls

There are many people/tribes who complain of marginalization in present day
Nigeria, it has nothing to do with a curse.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by seunny4lif(m): 8:17pm On Aug 21, 2017
The story is too long grin grin grin
Who can short it

This super story pass Prison Break oooooo

2 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by itemj2k(m): 8:18pm On Aug 21, 2017
dominique:

I read the article to see exactly what became of them after they were cursed and if there were any differences after the curse was revoked.

My friend from Akoko complains that they're the least favoured in the state in terms of appointments and infrastructure.
akoko edo has 47+ villages, uneme comprises of just 5 out of the 47+
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by MOSICATED5(m): 8:19pm On Aug 21, 2017
I grew up knowing that uneme is a forbidden place but even my parents ne'er knew why as they were also told d same thing
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by byemx06(m): 8:20pm On Aug 21, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
A lot of you have been curious about the curse placed on the Uneme people be rest assured the curse has Long been Revoked by Oba Akenzua II . Here is a piece about what really went down in 1370 AD. Enjoy!!

https://joshuaproject.net/people_groups/15713/NI

enlighten
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by muyimodel: 8:22pm On Aug 21, 2017
Thanks.. .thoughtful...
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by ademijuwonlo(f): 8:33pm On Aug 21, 2017
I tot Benin kingdom said the "Oba" title belongs to them and that the Yoruba recently adopted the title from them. But this narration made mention of Oba Ogiebo of
Igbo -Orumila from present day Ijebu ode....it is sufficed to say that the obaship title has been with the Yorubas from time immemorial.

9 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by ismart: 8:33pm On Aug 21, 2017
rozayx5:
Benin the real owners of Eko

cool
it's actually Benin republic people not Benin of Edo extract.
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Sanchez01: 8:35pm On Aug 21, 2017
The narrative doesn't add up and it seems incomplete.

1. After the curse was revoked, did it in any way reunite the scattered Uneme houses even up to the ones in Awka?

2. Do other parts of Benin marry freely from the Unemes today? If no, then I doubt it is the event surrounding the narrative. Ideally, their acts of bravery and courage should be enough to make ladies turn their way and not claim they are cursed.

3. I understand every part and people claim marginalisation today, but even at that, are the Unemes considered for Royal roles, considering the fact that they are or royal lineage.
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Sanchez01: 8:37pm On Aug 21, 2017
ademijuwonlo:
I tot Benin kingdom said the "Oba" title belongs to them and that the Yoruba recently adopted the title from them. But this narration made mention of Oba Ogiebo of
Igbo -Orumila from present day Ijebu ode....it is suffice to say that the obaship title has been with the Yorubas from time immemorial.
The narrative is messed up for sure but then again, Edo shares a close relationship with the Yorubas and a couple of Yoruba words, cum practices reflect in the Benin practice and even names.

2 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by AreaFada2: 8:45pm On Aug 21, 2017
ademijuwonlo:
I tot Benin kingdom said the "Oba" title belongs to them and that the Yoruba recently adopted the title from them. [b]But this narration made mention of Oba Ogiebo of
Igbo -Orumil[/b]a from present day Ijebu ode....it is suffice to say that the obaship title has been with the Yorubas from time immemorial.

In theory if the Benins (not Binis as wrongly written widely, and corrected by the palace & BTC often) were to describe a foreign king, what title would they use? Oba or ogie.

The King of Portugal was described as Oba Ebo (King of white people) back in the 14th century already. I see no controversy there.
Besides Oba means "shining" to describe the elegance & magnificence of early ogisos also then called Oba-Godo. By 1480 AD, King John II of Portugal (called Oba Ebo in Benin) was not called Oba John II by his Portuguese subjects in Portugal. grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Is there any oral evidence of use of the word Oba in Yoruba language dating back to around 1800 to over 2000 years ago? Let us know if there is.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by EgusiShankly: 8:46pm On Aug 21, 2017
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Eziokwu1: 8:46pm On Aug 21, 2017
AreaFada2:

In theory if the Benin were to describe a foreign king, what title would they use? Oba.

The King of Portugal was described as Oba Ebo (King of white people) back in the 14th century. I see no controversy there.
Besides Oba means "shining" to describe the elegance & magnificence of early ogisos also then cold Oba-Godo.

Is there any oral evidence of use of the word Oba in Yoruba language dating back to around 1800 to over 2000 years? Let us know if there is.

What happened to the proto Edo word for king, i.e Ogie and co?
An Edo told me in confidence that King is actually Ogie in Edo lingua.

8 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 21, 2017
scholes0:
In the entire history of Ijebu Ode right from the time of Obanta who founded the town, up till now, there has never been any Oba (Awujale) who went by the name Ogiebo.
Besides, I doubt there was anytime in history Ijebu Ode was ever known as Igbo Orunmila.

Itegboje is probably referring to another town completely.

It is possible Igbo Orunmila is in Ijebu Land but not the present area called Ijebu Ode. An old historian of Ijebu Ode origin told me Ondo founder (Osemawe) & Ago Iwoye founder are twins. One of their parents was from Benin. He called the founder of Ago Iwoye Ebumawe (I am not sure if I got the name right). Ago iwoye is in Ijebu Land

1 Like

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by rhektor(m): 8:50pm On Aug 21, 2017
scholes0:
In the entire history of Ijebu Ode right from the time of Obanta who founded the town, up till now, there has never been any Oba (Awujale) who went by the name Ogiebo.
Besides, I doubt there was anytime in history Ijebu Ode was ever known as Igbo Orunmila.

Itegboje is probably referring to another town completely.

I wonder when I saw this but let the op do justice to it
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by nady94: 8:51pm On Aug 21, 2017
dominique:

I read the article to see exactly what became of them after they were cursed and if there were any differences after the curse was revoked.

My friend from Akoko complains that they're the least favoured in the state in terms of appointments and infrastructure.
I think people from igbanke; ekpon (not ekponma) are also kind of marginalized too
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 21, 2017
AreaFada2:

In theory if the Benin were to describe a foreign king, what title would they use? Oba.

The King of Portugal was described as Oba Ebo (King of white people) back in the 14th century. I see no controversy there.
Besides Oba means "shining" to describe the elegance & magnificence of early ogisos also then cold Oba-Godo.

Is there any oral evidence of use of the word Oba in Yoruba language dating back to around 1800 to over 2000 years? Let us know if there is.

Yes sir, there are.

Below is the list of folks who existed before Oduduwa and way before Oranmiyan started 'Oba' in Benin.

Obarese, Obalale, Obalesun, Obanurin, Obalurin, Obalepon, Obalejugbe, Obaoro, Obalato and a whole lot of Obas who were kings before Oduduwa whose lineages exist till today and are still kings in their domains but chiefs under Ooni.

In the traditional sense, only a subordinate uses Oba while the paramount ruler derives his appelation from the name of the geographical space as the owner.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Rekit: 9:00pm On Aug 21, 2017
This is a very incisive post. I must commend OP for this post. I have a lot of friends from uneme clan. The Unemes are not located in only Akoko - Edo, they can also be found in Etsako East LGA (South Uneme, the Anegbette people.). Actually, they are very good people. One thing the curse brought to them is unity and oneness as they remain the most United clan in Edo State.
They are educated in large number and are exceptional in their chosen professions.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by HNO3Acid(m): 9:02pm On Aug 21, 2017
AreaFada2:

In theory if the Benins (not Binis as wrongly written widely, and corrected by the palace & BTC often) were to describe a foreign king, what title would they use? Oba or ogie. By 1

The King of Portugal was described as Oba Ebo (King of white people) back in the 14th century already. I see no controversy there.
Besides Oba means "shining" to describe the elegance & magnificence of early ogisos also then cold Oba-Godo. By 1480 AD, King John II of Portugal (called Oba Ebo in Benin) was not called Oba John II by his Portuguese subjects in Portugal. grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Is there any oral evidence of use of the word Oba in Yoruba language dating back to around 1800 to over 2000 years ago? Let us know if there is.

All Yorubas Obas have always been Obas. Even the etymology (composition) of the very word is rooted in Yoruba - Ba to be in control over everything. 'O' being the pronoun suffix.
Ever heard of Obatala or Obalufon?
Arguing the Yoruba root of Oba is almost akin to arguing the Yoruba root of the word "Omo"

6 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by BushDoctor123: 9:06pm On Aug 21, 2017
scholes0:
Uneme towns are still blacksmiths till today, although most of the younger ones have migrated to big cities and no longer engage.

For those who care to watch, here is a short documentary on Ekpedo, the chief Uneme town as narrated by Oba J.A Obabori.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNHSPPgguL4
Ekpedo should learn to live peacefully with their neighbours and stop this land grabbing attitude.They are landlocked between the Bekumas on the west and Ekpe on the east with Ogori in kogi state on the North. The Ekpedo's are always at war with these communities except Ogori which they couldn't defeat in warfare even though they exterminated and conquered Oke Ola village.
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by aigjoey(m): 9:08pm On Aug 21, 2017
I love the documentary. Pls can you send me the video on whatsap. Thanks..
scholes0:
Uneme towns are still blacksmiths till today, although most of the younger ones have migrated to big cities and no longer engage.

For those who care to watch, here is a short documentary on Ekpedo, the chief Uneme town as narrated by Oba J.A Obabori.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNHSPPgguL4

2 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by aigjoey(m): 9:10pm On Aug 21, 2017
You do not expect us to be calm when we are threatened. The unemhe are very peaceful people. Ogori is too small for u to defeat. Take note of that
BushDoctor123:
Ekpedo should learn to live peacefully with their neighbours and stop this land grabbing attitude.They are landlocked between the Bekumas on the west and Ekpe on the east with Ogori in kogi state on the North. The Ekpedo's are always at war with these communities except Ogori which they couldn't defeat in warfare even though they exterminated and conquered Oke Ola village.

1 Like

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by AreaFada2: 9:11pm On Aug 21, 2017
Eziokwu1:

What happened to the proto Edo word for king, i.e Ogie and co?
An Edo told me in confidence that King is actually Ogie in Edo lingua.

I was still writing when you replied.
In official use, the proto word had reduced in importance by the 12th century. Though still used.
For example, by around 12th century, during the interregnum, a local chieftain, Evian & his heir had declared that "Ogie era mien vb'Edo, ai mien Oba". Meaning, only a chief now obtains in Benin, no king.

This was in opposing senior Benin Traditional chiefs' mission to seek Ekaladerhan's/Izoduwa's return from Ife.
Of course, the great grandson of Oba Eweka I who was Oba Ewedo later granted the descendant of the opposing local chieftain/usurper the chieftaincy title "Ogiamien". Ogiamiens's palace today is today a Federal Government national monument, said to be the longest inhabited palace/home in West Africa till today.

By 12th century some ducal titles like Ogiegor (who was Oranmiyan's father-in-law) at Egor village near Benin were pretty established.

At least over a century before the Uneme scenario here.

2 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by scholes0(m): 9:14pm On Aug 21, 2017
BushDoctor123:

The Okpameris and the Unemes should learn to co-exist together abeg.
Besides, in the last conflict, The Bekumas were the aggressors.

1 Like

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by ORIENTATION101: 9:18pm On Aug 21, 2017
AreaFada2:

In theory if the Benins (not Binis as wrongly written widely, and corrected by the palace & BTC often) were to describe a foreign king, what title would they use? Oba or ogie. By 1

Besides Oba means "shining" to describe the elegance & magnificence of early ogisos also then cold Oba-Godo. By 1480 AD, King John II of Portugal (called Oba Ebo in Benin) was not called Oba John II by his Portuguese subjects in Portugal. grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

oba is Yoruba word
O-he
BA-reigns

This full meaning of oba in Yoruba = he reigns

Oba is a general word for monarchs in yorubaland while the throne title names differs from each other because of the geographical boundaries of their domain

4 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by paradigmshift(m): 9:20pm On Aug 21, 2017
kn23h:
Laughing at the Bini king.

Ooni wouldn't dare this ish. Our Yoruba Oba is more advanced than this

u mean the impotent ooni. lmao

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by kingsleybrave(m): 9:23pm On Aug 21, 2017
cry SO IS THIS THE REASON MY GRANDMUM VEHEMENTLY WARNED NOT TO HAVE ANYTIN TO DO WIT AN ONEME GIRLS? CHAII! AND I HAVE FORGONE MANY! I AVOID THEM LIKE EBOLA THEN, I TUT DEY OUTCAST! WHAT A BLUNDER,! I C DEM LIKE NON-ENTITY THEN, THANKS FOR HISTORY! MIND SET CHANGED! AND THIS HAVE MADE SO MANY OF D ONEME FIL INFERIOR! (SPEAKIN FROM EXPERIENCE
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by AreaFada2: 9:25pm On Aug 21, 2017
ObalufonIII:

Yes sir, there are.

Below is the list of folks who existed before Oduduwa and way before Oranmiyan started 'Oba' in Benin.

Obarese, Obalale, Obalesun, Obanurin, Obalurin, Obalepon, Obalejugbe, Obaoro, Obalato and a whole lot of Obas who were kings before Oduduwa whose lineages exist till today and are still kings in their domains but chiefs under Ooni.

In the traditional sense, only a subordinate uses Oba while the paramount ruler derives his appelation from the name of the geographical space as the owner.

What period in history are we talking of? How many centuries before?

Benin & Yoruba are Niger-Congo/Kwa languages. Couldn't they have developed independently, perhaps with some similarity or closeness in original root word now lost?

I think the problem with finding the truth is "my mannliness is bigger than yours" tribal positions people take.
If that is the case, why is virtually every prominent Yoruba King now using the title "Oba" from Alafin to Ooni?

In the Conference of Western Region Kings held in Benin in the 1940s, only Oba of Benin used the title Oba, while others were Awujale, Ooni, Alafin, etc. Why are they all now officially using Oba title if it is meant to be lower traditionally? grin cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by JoeEbiliekwe24: 9:25pm On Aug 21, 2017
Rekit:
This is a very incisive post. I must commend OP for this post. I have a lot of friends from uneme clan. The Unemes are not located in only Akoko - Edo, they can also be found in Etsako East LGA (South Uneme, the Anegbette people.). Actually, they are very good people. One thing the curse brought to them is unity and oneness as they remain the most United clan in Edo State.
They are educated in large number and are exceptional in their chosen professions.

Did you read the passage

the curse was meant to achieve the opposite of what you just described. lol
Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 21, 2017
babaolofin:

It is possible Igbo Orunmila is in Ijebu Land but not the present area called Ijebu Ode. An old historian of Ijebu Ode origin told me Ondo founder (Osemawe) & Ago Iwoye founder are twins. One of their parents was from Benin. He called the founder of Ago Iwoye Ebumawe (I am not sure if I got the name right). Ago iwoye is in Ijebu Land

I also noticed that in the ancient yoruba history Oba of Benin was referred to as Oba Ado which means ruler of Edo people. There exist some unknown history that might have been erased by tribal wars. Obanta may not be the first ruler in Ijebu Land

2 Likes

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by kn23h(m): 9:32pm On Aug 21, 2017
paradigmshift:

u mean the impotent ooni. lmao

Comment from a tadpole no dey offend a lion cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire by gdonj1(m): 9:37pm On Aug 21, 2017
aigjoey:
You do not expect us to be calm when we are threatened. The unemhe are very peaceful people. Ogori is too small for u to defeat. Take note of that
one love brother

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos Of Yoruba Candomble Worshippers In Brazil. / Masquerade Climbing Electric Pole In Kogi (Photos) / The Somali/ethiopian People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.