Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,853 members, 7,817,524 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) (33257 Views)

Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State / IRIA - A Virgin Festival In Okrika, Rivers State / The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by Origin(f): 9:35am On Aug 23, 2017
That statue is a work of art. So realistic and palpable. The sculptor is something else.

The man's strength, the scraggly beard, his staff, his cutlass (very essential implement in those days for both men and women), his clothes....

This was a man of adventure, a traveller, maybe even an hunter.

Nice heritage.

1 Like

Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by Kingxway: 10:37am On Aug 23, 2017
igbodefender:
Yes, one part of Okrika is Igbo descended. The other part is Ijaw descended.
Oh.... I see!
Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by nairaman66(m): 1:57pm On Aug 23, 2017
mofewilkie:

Chairman, if you have nothing good to say, keep quiet.

You haven't condemned the violent movies on TV.
What about the killings in other States?
I'm sure they were encouraged by statues too.

Even in foreign countries, there are statues of great men and women; even some army generals with weapons of all sorts. How does it affect anyone?

Have respect for People's culture.

So sad you were unable to see my point! Knife wielding statue in the middle of a market!Sounds strange to me!!
Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by nairaman66(m): 1:57pm On Aug 23, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:
If this were a statue of Alexander the great or Achilles you'd fall over yourself to take a selfie close to it, but sadly it's only a statue of an unknown black man with no reference in your texts books so its a symbol of blood thirst and violence

Pls loosen up, it's only art grin

So sad you were unable to see my point! Knife wielding statue in the middle of a market!Sounds strange to me!!
Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by mofewilkie(m): 2:04pm On Aug 23, 2017
nairaman66:

It's a statue. He's the founder of their community. A market square is a good place to place the statue.

Period!
Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by nabzguy: 10:54pm On Dec 10, 2017
Abagworo:
I've checked it up and it actually says Okrika has Igbo origin. As one who has interacted closely with the natives I think in Okrika there is Igbo, Ibibio and Ijaw elements in the mix but it seems the 1st settler "Oputibeya" was an Igbo man as acknowledged by natives. It now makes sense why there is Okrika in Igboland and the popular intermarriage among the two.

This is another erected statue of an old Chief in 18th century known as "Ibanichuka". The name equally suggests same pattern.
Stop the insinuation, Ibanichuka means totally different thing. Okrikans married Igbos back in the days purely for domestic reason. It was believed Igbo women are hard working and they come very very cheap, because the girls and parents saw marriage to an "mbamiriā€ okrika man as means of excape from extreme poverty. Hence when the girls are given out for marriage, they attached another junior female relative to her, hence she grows up in Okrika and eventually marries to an Okrika person, and she in turn goes to her village to bring another girl to stay with her.... the circle continues. That was how the Igbos infiltrate the Okrikan families.
Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by WorWorBoy: 3:09am On Aug 08, 2020
Kingxway:
I can see DIKE CHUKWUDI or something like that written at the last part of the statue. Is Okrika also related to Igbo?
No we are not related to Igbo! Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by WorWorBoy: 3:19am On Aug 08, 2020
Proudly Okrika. I love my culture tongue

6 Likes

Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by Shiver99: 4:26am On Aug 08, 2020
WorWorBoy:
No we are not related to Igbo! Thank you.

Nah, you guys definitely aren't. Don't worry, Igbos aren't claiming you. wink

But it seems your founders and significant people in history definitely are. That statue is clearly wearing an igbo dress even to the feathered cap, lol.

2 Likes

Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by Graysons: 6:21am On Aug 08, 2020
Shiver99:

But it seems your founders and significant people in history definitely are. That statue is clearly wearing an igbo dress even to the feathered cap, lol.

You okoro don't have shame, you claim the founders of okrika are igbos, yet the okrika people on this thread said they are not related to Igbos.

Why can't you guys let them be? Okrika people are part of ijaw youth council (IYC) and they identify with ijaw people, their ancestors migrate from the delta and not Igbo so who are the significant people in their history that are igbos?

2 Likes

Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by SaintBishop: 6:52am On Aug 08, 2020
Graysons:

You okoro don't have shame, you claim the founders of okrika are igbos, yet the okrika people on this thread said they are not related to Igbos.

Why can't you guys let them be? Okrika people are part of ijaw youth council (IYC) and they identify with ijaw people, their ancestors migrate from the delta and not Igbo so who are the significant people in their history that are igbos?

how did you know all this?
Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by Graysons: 6:55am On Aug 08, 2020
SaintBishop:

how did you know all this?
I study bro I study. cool
Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by SaintBishop: 5:41pm On Aug 08, 2020
Graysons:
I study bro I study. cool

Lol
Re: Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) by WorWorBoy: 12:25am On Nov 10, 2020
Shiver99:

And what are the names of the founders/significant people?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? / 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) / Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.